Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone else still thrilled and amazed that Barack Obama is president?

I am.

I don't think he has been perfect, not by a long shot. But it's a pretty amazing thing to have such a thoughtful, intelligent president. And yes, the fact that he is African-American, and the fact that we have an African-American first family, makes me even more proud and hopeful for the future.

The president's in Europe this week. How long do you think it will be before the U.K. has an Asian Prime Minister, or before France has a Muslim president?

It really is the kind of thing that could only happen in America and I have to say that I feel incredibly lucky to be an American because of it.

by Anonymousreply 11006/23/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

I think he is a great man. Beset by the utter mediocrity of the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

I think he has done an amazing job, especially considering the circumstances. I'd vote for him again in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

The president's what is in Europe? His dog, Bo? His mom jeans?

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

No. I am not thrilled and amazed. Unless you think something else should have happened.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

The UK had a Jewish born prime minister in 1868.

next!

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

I agree OP. I just wish we could get rid of the right wingers who are trying to derail his agenda and destroy the public's trust in him.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

France had a Jewish prime minister in the 30s

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

Oh, good lord.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

Yes. Despite everything, he's still a lot better than the alternative.

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

Yes. Millions of American children are growing up in a world with a black president. It will seem normal to them that an African American man can be the leader of the free world.

Now let's all link arms and sing Kumbaya while the Republicans screw up the Budget Control Act (sequestration) and the Gun Control Bill and the Farm Bill and the Student Loan Bill and the Immigration Bill and Obamacare implementation (de-funding) and impose never-ending filibusters of Obama's DC circuit court judgeship nominees.

Everybody shout and go "BOO".

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

[quote]I don't think he has been perfect, not by a long shot.

Has any president been? Ever? Only loons like Libertarians think their leaders are perfect.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

I was glad he "evolved" in time for the second election. I think he has done a masterful job. I would dump Holder.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

R12, bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

We want to be treated the same and judged the same as everyone else and clearly that hasn't happened. It's more than just, "well, he's in our party, so we'll look the other way on many things". He's treated like a....very special (helmet-wearing) leader. Nothing is his fault and everything is because he's Black. Even when it's something that met the same resistance before him, now it's simply because of his skin color. It's insulting and no it doesn't honor our ancestors (here or in Africa), nor does it help the Black collective. His race is being used politically, not for actual change or something that everyone can be proud of. Not surprisingly, whenever one of us says or does anything people on the left don't like, it's this side who is quickest to go to the N word. Don't believe me? Check Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

Hahahahahahahaha! W&W for OP. I spit coffee all over my computer screen I laughed so hard! Best parody post of the year! 12/10!

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

How long until China has a white head of state?

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

[quote]But it's a pretty amazing thing to have such a thoughtful, intelligent president.

That's on par with Joe Biden being amazed in 2007 that Obama was "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean..." Why is it amazing?

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

I think he walked into one of the worst time in history between

The great recession with almost no ability beyond the first stimulous to help reverse it because everyone decided to follow the god of deficit reduction

Two unwinnable wars which made the terrorist and most of the middle eat madder than ever. he stepped in at a time when the world had lost what respect they may have once may have had for us.

An unprecedented opposition who decided on DAY ONE of his presidency to block and fillibuster everything he wants even if they want it too. To the point where routine congressional work like increasing the debt ceiling or approving budgets or appointees don't happen.

Citizens United made the rich and powerful, with interests mostly opposite of the public, more powerful than ever imagined. Congress just does their bidding.

The implosion of the Republican party who needs to cater to the religious right who are not allowed to compromise.

The media has shifted way right due to their corporate overlords. They always miss the point and miss the big picture.

I am disappointed in some things. Mostly civil liberty and war stuff he used to agree me about and that it took him so long to figure out that they right wont bargain in good faith.

But I think we needed a calm intelligent presence at the helm after the years of GW and he has provided that. GW truly left a mess that will be felt for a generation and BO has for the most part been a steady hand without many huge fuck ups in an era where every fuck up is magnified and the right has been trying to impeach him from week 2.

Like Clinton, we have a smart pragmatic president who is being held back on implementing good plans by whining repugs who care more about party than the people of the country.

Maybe not thrilled but still very proud on the whole.

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

r18, for those of us who only started following politics from GW on it is pretty amazing. Do you remember how painful it was every time he spoke to the country as if we were 5 year olds?

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

OP, while I don't think Obama is perfect I do get tired of rightwingers blaming him for every fucking problem in the world right now. Bad weather = Obama. Unrest in the Middle East = Obama to their simple, racist minds.

Christ on a cracker it would be a relief if they just came out and said "there's a "nigger" in the White House, WAAAAA".

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

"Why is it amazing?"

Because of the 8 year presidency that preceded his?

by Anonymousreply 2306/21/2013

Obama has done a lot of terrible things, and there's no glossing over that fact. The drones issue was just one of a list of things. Stop setting the bar at George W. Bush. Bush is long gone. I will still take a Democrat over a Republican any day, but what Obama has done will not look good in the history books. It's quite frightening. I don't care what party is currently shacking up in the White House. If you're doing something severely fucked up, I'll acknowledge it.

People like OP are trying to convince themselves that Obama is the Obama they loved back in 2008, and that everything is going to be fine. They want backup/justification for their feelings. There's no other explanation for a thread like this being created at this point. This isn't an inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 2506/21/2013

R19 speaks the truth. Great post.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

Thrilled no, amazed yes. I truly never expected to see a Black man elected to the presidency in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 2806/21/2013

yes, he is just a puppet like all of the presidents and politicians

He is not as divisive as the Republicans

by Anonymousreply 3006/21/2013

He's a weak, concilatory muddle-through... and also the first black president, so he's got that going for him. He'll be rated as a middling president in the history books, far above the idiot fool Bush the lesser, but also far below what was expected of him by Americans of the present era. He's the standard model late 1950s model republican, a weak sauce Hoover elected in difficult times when a new FDL was expected. He'll be evaluated as a second degree continuation of the Clinton-W.Bush period by future historians, though far better than the alternatives offered up by the neo-fascist republican party of 2000-2020. He continued an era of long, steady decline and decay of the Republic.

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2013

FDL=FDR

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2013

[quote] He's mulatto.

How are things in 1965? Bewitched is wonderful isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

Considering the alternative in Mitt Romney, John McCain (w Palin as VP), we are extremely lucky to have Obama as President.

by Anonymousreply 3606/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 3706/21/2013

R37/R35/32, get help to address your weird racial tics, freak.

by Anonymousreply 4006/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4106/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4206/21/2013

Yes. An amazing president doing a very good job in especially challenging times.

by Anonymousreply 4306/21/2013

he has done nothing but shill for corporate just like that other one would have,this one is just a different flavour

that was the point why they chose him,so everyone pays attention to some blackie in office while veterans die in the streets,people sink under debt,unemployed kill themselves and poverty rising.

usa is disappearing in front of your eyes and you are happy about pigmentation

people get the government they deserve

moronic idiots

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013

Agreed OP - not perfect, but a highly intelligent and capable man getting us through tough times.

I shudder to think what McCain or Romney would do - oh my fucking GOD!

by Anonymousreply 4506/21/2013

R45 OMFG!!!!!

WHAT!????

WHAT!????

what would have they done differently?

WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 4606/21/2013

[quote]The president's in Europe this week. How long do you think it will be before the U.K. has an Asian Prime Minister, or before France has a Muslim president?

What is the point of this question? You could ask this exact same question of the U.S.A., and the answer would be "decades" as well. Asians and Muslims are not the European equivalents of African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 4706/21/2013

Worst president in modern times. Everything he does is political. Lies, uses government agencies to harass anyone who disagrees with his warped agenda. I hate him.

by Anonymousreply 4806/21/2013

He's done a great job considering the circumstances. Congress is the problem.

by Anonymousreply 4906/21/2013

I squeal with delight!

by Anonymousreply 5006/21/2013

"He's a weak, conciliatory muddle-through"

Of course he is. He is an American president. Tell me who else has been able to get there, in recent memory, who has not been exactly that. And tell me who else is not that who is likely to get there in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 5106/21/2013

Obama is bi-racial

by Anonymousreply 5206/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 5306/21/2013

Isn't that what bi-racial is R53? black. and white.

by Anonymousreply 5406/21/2013

He's black because he says he is. We don't classify people into races based on blood percentages. Someone with his skin color would always be seen as black so he might as well have a sense of community.

African Americans are not recent immigrants. They have been here longer than many whites' families. But of course Obama is the son of an African, not an African American.

by Anonymousreply 5506/21/2013

HELL to the YES He is a decent, capable, honorable, dedicated man. He is contentious at home in our heavily polarized politics but his is well-regarded around the world. Good news after W's gross recklessness. His administration is well-run, scandal free (forget all this recent made-up bullshit - his enemies have got NOTHING) He's doing a good job despite GOP sabotage/obstruction. He NEVER left the gays behind. He beats any alternative by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 5606/21/2013

Agree with r56.

by Anonymousreply 5706/21/2013

Obama is a good man, but hardly a good president.

by Anonymousreply 5806/21/2013

I'm over it.

by Anonymousreply 5906/21/2013

Thrilled? No. Amazed? Absofuckinglutely.

by Anonymousreply 6006/21/2013

Not well-regarded around the world. Certainly better-regarded than the bull in the china shop Bush, but widely viewed as a disappointment, particularly in Europe. The Muslim world has lost faith in Obama, but in fairness they have problems of their own right now. Israel's leadership rolled over Obama from day one and now ignores anything he has to say. The slimy Putin likes to keep him waiting so reporters can see it.

Obama is late on legislative and foreign affairs issues a lot. Lets others dominate the debate, mulls over shit a loooong time, then comes up with something tardy and half-assed that satisfies no one and solves nothing. The GOP stonewalls him but he does not deal well with Democrats in Congress for that matter. Now that Hillary is gone he is surrounded by cabinet nonentities who do not push his agenda effectively either to the power structure or to the public.

He's a good man but has not adapted well to a very difficult job. I'm sure he'd be a fine president if it were 1999. Sadly, it's not.

by Anonymousreply 6106/21/2013

Well said, R61. It should have been obvious to him early on that the Republicans in Congress were never going to cooperate, and to deal with adversarily them as the disloyal opposition they are.

Instead, he's continually attempted to appease them hoping that he'll win them over, sacrificing any momentum or high-ground in the process. Latest example: the gun-control legislation. There's no reason he shouldn't have been able to ram that through given the political winds at the time. But, typically, he blew it by not having the heft to actively push it through, but by merely making a speech or two.

It's also disappointing how many here excuse this pattern of legislative failure as purely being the Republicans fault, which is too simplistic. If Obama had the heft and pull of a more forceful personality and more subtantial relationships in Congress, he'd have been able to work his will more effectively. This is the consequence of peaking too young.

by Anonymousreply 6206/21/2013

I think it's been a long time since he's tried to win Republicans over

by Anonymousreply 6306/21/2013

He's never been more than a feelgood figurehead, and given his agenda, I'm glad for that.

by Anonymousreply 6406/21/2013

Chukka Umunna is tipped to be the first UK black PM (he is in Ed Miliband's shadow cabinet) and Adam Afryie in the Tories is also tipped. But fair play to the US they led the way with Obama

by Anonymousreply 6506/21/2013

[R61] You make baseless and ridiculously broad generalizations about Obama's standing in the world. Then you lay out a wholly premature and myopic assessment of his Presidency, which as we all know, is not over until 2015. In other words, a pointless waste of pixels.

by Anonymousreply 6606/23/2013

And then we have the gullible sot at [R62], blaming Obama for the unprecented obstruction and sabotage of today's unethical, unmoored GOP. You play right into their hands, you simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 6706/23/2013

If Obama is so capable, why can't he deal with the obstructionists called the GOP?

So we blame the GOP, but not Obama? I expected him to be able to deal with Congress no matter who is in power. He is suppose to be a smart and tough man but he failed miserably in his dealings with the Congress. The President sets the agenda and lead. Instead, its been the GOP who has been setting the agenda and leading.

He has been a big disappointment. Where is the fire and where is the fight?

by Anonymousreply 6806/23/2013

According to real clear politics, Obama's approval rating is at a 17 month low.

by Anonymousreply 6906/23/2013

We could forgive Obama not accomplishing things so long as he went to the people and explained it all. He doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 7006/23/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7106/23/2013

In Berlin, Obama went from a crowd of 200,000 in 08 to a crowd of 4,500.

by Anonymousreply 7206/23/2013

He is the first black President. He could have been the first great black President, but he's not. And frankly, I'm tired of defending him.

by Anonymousreply 7306/23/2013

[quote]How long do you think it will be before the U.K. has an Asian Prime Minister, or before France has a Muslim president?

How long do you think it will be before the U.S. has a female president? (The answer is not 2016, regardless of how much some of you may want it.) Also, the Muslim heathens will have wholly taken over France within a decade, and unless the Tories buckle down and start mass deportations back to India and Bangladesh and North Africa, Britain's next!

by Anonymousreply 7406/23/2013

He's a Democrat and I voted for him? Am I "trilled" and "amazed" by him? No. Never have been. He's lucky he was up against McCain and Romney. If it was Jon Huntsman, I'd vote for Huntsman.

by Anonymousreply 7506/23/2013

Just to add, I hope that Obama does the right thing on the Keystone Pipeline. He will lose a lot of support from liberals and those who care about the environment. This is a defining issue. If he gives it the go, he'll definitely lose me.

by Anonymousreply 7606/23/2013

R68 - you blame the GOP for their conduct. You insist on blaming Obama for their conduct, which is harebrained. And saying the GOP sets the agenda ignores the record. What agenda? obstruction is not an agenda, it's a tactic.

by Anonymousreply 7706/23/2013

r73 I feel the same way about Michelle Obama, too. I do not dislike MO but I feel she has not done anything that would distinguish her from the other First Ladies that have come and gone. She's been rather milquetoast, all things considered.

Eleanor Roosevelt and Hillary Clinton were both loved and hated, but what they'll be remembered for is using their status as FLOTUS to not only incite but to advocate.

by Anonymousreply 7806/23/2013

Yes, I'm thrilled he's President and that he's won decisively twice.

by Anonymousreply 7906/23/2013

Obama just announced he's going to try for major initiatives on nuclear cuts and climate change...when the economy is still lousy and he can't even get judges confirmed by Congress.

Maybe he can rack up some achievements on these fonts but I foresee lots of talk and total lack of follow-through. On the nukes front, Putin will never consent to disarm. "Initiatives" of this kind makes Obama appear to be name-checking the issues but not able to really lead on them.

R66, my allegations are not "baseless." You can read the Guardian, der Spiegel, and le Monde in /english to see Europe trying to grapple with the disappointments of the Obama presidency. Maybe he can turn things around and score some victories -- we'll see.

by Anonymousreply 8006/23/2013

I'm 58, from Mississippi, white, and I'm thrilled AND amazed. I can't believe I lived long enough to see such a man elected, and like Michelle, for the first time I was proud of America to elect him! Not proud of Mississippi where about 4% of the white males votes for him - but proud of the rest of the country to save us from a Republican president, which I think I'd rather die than see again.

by Anonymousreply 8206/23/2013

[quote] How long do you think it will be before the U.K. has an Asian Prime Minister, or before France has a Muslim president?

Probably the year two thousand and NEVER

by Anonymousreply 8306/23/2013

r81 you're a dolt. Dissatisfaction with Obama does not mean having amnesia. Bush was a very destructive President. He mainstreamed torture. Guantanamo fiasco happened under his watch. Soldiers humiliating detainees happened under his watch. He advocated for and signed the Patriot Act which allowed what Obama is doing to be legal. The wingnuts didn't want to listen -- just as Obama supporters don't want to listen -- but when you give the gov't this much power, it wants more and it will become more intrusive.

Bush supporters wanted to give him anything so long as he could protect them from another 911. This latest gov't intrusion is the outgrowth of Cheney/Bush's vision.

Happy r81?

by Anonymousreply 8406/23/2013

Love "O" and Hillary will be the next great President.

by Anonymousreply 8506/23/2013

R81, you are entirely correct. I'm glad someone else has been paying attention instead of being mesmerized by the fact of first! black! president!

Of course the Republicans have been obstructionist, and surely Obama and crew knew that going in, since that was the game they played with Clinton for 8 years. If he hadn't been paying attention, surely his Secretary of State could have clued him in. Jesus, they "obstructed" the 2000 election to steal it.

But unlike Clinton, Obama had a supermajority in Congress when first elected and he did nothing with it. On the contrary, at every opportunity he has "caved" to Republicans and went out of his way to govern as a right winger. The same thing now. He crushed Romney and won a mandate, and the first thing he does is try to cut Social Security and Medicare?

He could have prosecuted the bank criminals but didn't. He could have prosecuted the war criminals and didn't. He could have ended both wars quickly and didn't. He could have closed Gitmo and didn't. He could have asserted his will like Bush and Cheney did with a minority in the Senate and didn't even try.

But he has chosen to go after whistle-blowers with a vengeance. He has chosen to go after pot growers with a vengeance. He has chosen to go after Social Security and Medicare. He has chosen to escalate the indiscriminate use of drones to kill civilians in signature strikes where they don't even know who they're targeting - just people whose movements seem suspicious.

He's better than Bush and Cheney. What a shitty low bar that is.

by Anonymousreply 8606/23/2013

[86] You're a fool. "He could have ended both wars quickly" REALLY General??? Please enlighten us- how do you end a war quickly without creating a destructive power vacuum and destabilizing a region? How do you end a war quickly and absorb the economic impact- ending all that spending, bringing hundreds of thousands of now unemployed troops home DURING A MASSIVE RECESSION- without making things worse? The level of back seat driving and Monday morning quarterbacking is ridiculous enough on this thread without you stepping in it.

by Anonymousreply 8706/23/2013

I find him ineffectual and I agree with the poster about him being more than a little paranoid (not that they are NOT out to get him, they are).

I think the problem is everything came too easy for him. He really didn't have much of a résumé when he ran for Prez. It would have been much better for him to accept the VP post with Hillary and build the relationships that are essential for being an effective president.

While I - too - am thrilled at the 'idea' of a black president, I think he hasn't done anything to improve the lives of black people - or anybody else.

I am fully cognizant of everything he has had to deal with, the vicious right-wing, etc., but he doesn't seem capable of twisting arms or charming the birds off the trees with his enemies.

He actually does remind me of JFK - all talk, no action. And I think like JFK (who apologists claim was anti-war, anti-establishment - total bullshit) he is enamored of the war machine and Wall Street. Not my idea of a transformational figure. Given the dire straits our country was in (and still is), we needed a consummate politician in the role - not necessarily saying that was Hillary. We needed an LBJ who could break the arms of his enemies. Obama spent far too little time in Congress to learn the tricks of the trade and he personally seems to think he is a Professor of Harvard, not the ultimate Boss. Temperamentally, he is unsuited for the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 8806/23/2013

To those who second guess Obama's aggressive stance on national security: it's his primary obligation as the President. His predecessor failed to keep us safe on 9/11 and then exploited the country's grief to prosecute a reckless and illegal war. And we know hoe you'd be shrieking if Obama didn't use the full complement of executive powers to keep us from another terrorist attack of the magnitude of 9/11. To those who say he should be in jail- what are the charges? You've got NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 8906/23/2013

Do you think he would face these problems if being half black is skin was white?

by Anonymousreply 9006/23/2013

Almost 30 years of the conservative one-two punch of “cut taxes and deregulate” under the guise of “trickle down” have crushed the economy. But let’s blame the black guy!!

by Anonymousreply 9106/23/2013

2 years they had a majority in the house and senate..but you need 60 senators to overcome a filibuster..and the dems never had more than 58...plus Lieberman who sided with the GOP filibustering parts of the healthcare bill and (I) Bernie Sanders

also..Obama got stuck with Ben Nelson and Blanche Lincoln..two of the 58 who were conservadems and ALSO sides with republicans during the healthcare debate.

by Anonymousreply 9206/23/2013

Since Obama took office in 2009, Democrats had pushed several major pieces of legislation to the president’s desk. The first among them was the $787 billion stimulus package focused on rebuilding the economy. In 2010, Democrats passed the landmark healthcare reform and Wall Street reform bills. Then the Republicans got control of the House.

by Anonymousreply 9306/23/2013

Most Americans are mutts including whites r90. We have very few whites with no black in their veins and vice versa. It's your appearance that matters.

I'm absolutely amazed America elected a black man president. There will be no Asian prime minister in the UK or Arab president in France. They are literally decades behind on racial matters.

by Anonymousreply 9406/23/2013

Obama needed to be head of the Democratic party. He needed to be dominant and he wasn't because he didn't have the experience in Congress, nor does he have the personality of a leader. LBJ forced the Civil Rights Act through a Congress and Senate loaded with Dixiecrats mascarading as Democrats.

Obama is an urbane talk-show host, a wannabe academic, not a political leader.

by Anonymousreply 9506/23/2013

[R72] Go straight to hell with your Breitbart spin- Obama's '08 speech in Berlin was open to the public, his recent speech there was by invitation. To compare the 2 audiences is POINTLESS. It was held on the Eastern side of the Brandenburg Gate- a first.

by Anonymousreply 9606/23/2013

Obama has had his share of missteps, but has also has his share of successes.

I think both Obama's are simply tired at this point. When Obama got teary eyed at the press conference two months ago and said that maybe he should just pack it in and go home was very telling. The Republicans are picking on him and have been since day one. There are democrats who are busting his balls. The man can't win.

He was the first president to announce his support for gay marriage and helped repeal DADT. Yet there are some in the gay community that are still giving him a rough time, and yes, I do question what the intentions behind it really are.

I do think that maybe he should have ran as Hillary's VP first. But I also think there were a few big shots (kennedy, Oprah) whispering in his ear and saying things that sounded good to him. About how he's ready now and the country needs him. And if you have aspirations of running, then that will convince you.

by Anonymousreply 9706/23/2013

Sometimes I wonder why he wanted to do it again. I think with Obama we're better off than we would be with Romney (ugh), but I am perplexed at some of the choices Obama has made.

by Anonymousreply 9806/23/2013

I agree that Oprah and Ted Kennedy are largely to blame for inflating Obama's already big ego to believe He Was the One.

He should have been VP, let his girls grow up in relative obscurity, learn the ropes and succeed Hillary to become a great president.

As it is, he has been so underwhelming that he probably has set back the liberal agenda for years to come. I do blame some of the hostility against him on racism - but only some - he is to blame for much of it.

He has ultimately shown himself to be well to the right of Richard Nixon. And this NSA business reminds me of no one as much as Nixon.

Fail. And I'm afraid he will usher in another Republican era. Let us hope they nominate a looney-tune in 2016. Jeb Bush and Chris Christie scare the hell out of me because they are sane unlike the Tea Party whackjobs who make it so easy to be afraid of them and could never be elected. Bush and Christie could well get elected in 2016. Bush could easily because of his Mexican wife and he could corral a lot of the Hispanic vote Obama got.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

by Anonymousreply 9906/23/2013

[quote] probably has set back the liberal agenda for years to come.

I believe quite the opposite is true. Obama's lack of will bring more in the future.

by Anonymousreply 10006/23/2013

He helped turn the tide against Republican foolishness, and for that alone I will be forever grateful.

by Anonymousreply 10106/23/2013

R95 - you need to check your history. It is absolutely true that overwhelming majority of Southern Democrats and Republicans in both the House and the Senate voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Johnson quite simply did not need their votes to win. He did not even need their votes to get cloture in the Senate.

Obama and the Democratic Party face an entirely different challenge than LBJ faced. You need Republican support in the Senate to bring a bill to a vote -even though you don't need Republican support to pass the bill. In the House Boehner has his own struggles and keeps saying he will not bring a bill to the floor unless he has enough Republican votes to pass it. No compromises.

I don't think you can even compare Obama and Clinton. World of difference between being a President who is overseeing a booming economy that most the nation credits him with and a President dealing with a recession.

I don't support everything Obama has done - he has turned out to be not nearly as liberal as I had hoped. But I do think criticisms and comparisons should have some basis in reality.

by Anonymousreply 10206/23/2013

r102 I agree about the different circumstances. Yes, Clinton had to deal with a congress who was more interested in impeaching him than getting things done.

But even then they didn't have a meeting of all big republicans on day one of his presidency and made a plan to block EVERYTHING Obama wanted whether it was something they wanted too or even just the basic functioning of government like budgets and raising the debt ceiling. They are willing to blow up the country if it brings down Obama. Everything is a fight, every nomination is a fight. Every Senate bill is filibustered.

You see Old school Republicans getting angry about the new breed of Rs who just don't do their basic job.

Not to mention the takeover of the party by the religious right. Even the few adults left in the party have to pander to the crazies.

Citizens United is also a huge game changer in favor of conservatives and big business.

No other President in history has had such a mess to deal with both in what he inherited and in the opposition to fix any of it. He has actually gotten a lot done and some of it very quietly. He has big accomplishments it's just that there are so many huge problems plus the privacy and war shit he continued from Bush.

That said I certainly have my problems with him and think he has been too wimpy not rallying the people against these idiots. He lets them set the conversation too much. We nee to go on offense.

by Anonymousreply 10306/23/2013

R98 and others, can you even *imagine* the hell on earth that would have erupted had Obama decided NOT to stand for reelection? No way in hell was Hillary going to run in that slot; she's too savvy. Biden? Nah. O'Malley and other Dems in the wings would have been slaughtered, even by the Romney nonentity.

And every last bit of the loss would have been blamed on Obama. It would have been a fate worse than death for both Obamas. Nobody would have said "Well, he tried to change the tone of political discourse, help gays and illegal immigrants, put us on the road to national healthcare, etc. Couldn't do it, and honorably decided too step aside fir another Democrat." Yeah, right. He would have been excoriated like LBJ was.

Oh, you remember LBJ, right? The man to whom y'all keep (unfavorably) comparing Obama? Now LBJ is a personal idol of mine, and I remember 1968. Though he was being slammed from the right AND really hard from the left, when he decided not to stand for reelection, my God the opprobrium. He was blamed for HHH's loss and Nixon's win.

Blacks always respected LBJ and gave him his props despite our high numbers killed in the war, but the far left excoriated him for Vietnam and some Latin American misadventures. They hated him for decades, and adored Gene McCarthy, but now trot him out to suit their agenda. Just like the far left detested FDR, and only decided they loved him after Eleanor died in the mid-60s.

by Anonymousreply 10406/23/2013

R103 - I basically agree with you - but I'm not clear on what Obama has done quietly?

There are some serious problems Republican leadership face. Although I'm not sure it is from the religious right.

One of the consequences of gerrymandering districts to insure Republican victories is pushing the "real" election to the primaries. Now we have members of the House who will face a very real primary challenge if they are seen as moderate or compromising on fiscal policy. The Tea Party, whoever they are, holds sway over these Republicans.

What I wonder is how successful a Republican President would be? Take Reagan for example. So many conservatives worship him. I don't see how his tax policies could possibly pass today. Although he reduced income tax rates - he broadened the tax base to offset the reductions. I don't see that getting anywhere today. Not to mention I don't see how he would be able to form a coalition with "Reagan Democrats" today.

Do you ever wonder if there are elements within the Republican Party which are happy with the status quo?

by Anonymousreply 10506/23/2013

I'm reminded of Ralph Ellison's comment about LBJ when he left the Presidency: "When all the returns are in, perhaps President Johnson will have to settle for being recognized as the greatest American president for the poor and for the Negroes, but that, as I see it, is a very great honor indeed."

by Anonymousreply 10606/23/2013

R104 - Latin American misadventures? I'm thinking participating in toppling democratically elected governments, although a fine American tradition, is more than a misadventure.

Vietnam was a disaster - and as we now know, the Johnson Administration knew it, and kept sending young Americans to their death.

No doubt Johnson will be remembered and respected for his domestic policy. He never should have been commander and chief.

by Anonymousreply 10706/23/2013

Nope, OP, I am not. I'm more or less indifferent at the moment.

Granted, I was furious, disappointed, betrayed at the same point during W's reign of terror, so obviously BO is a big improvement.

by Anonymousreply 10806/23/2013

More

of

same

by Anonymousreply 10906/23/2013

IFHH

by Anonymousreply 11006/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.