Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

US President undermines Catholic schools after Vatican Prefect praised them

Catholics having a shit fit...

The US President has made an alarming call for an end to Catholic education in Northern Ireland in spite of the fact that Archbishop Gerhard Müller told Scots that Catholic education was 'a critical component of the Church.’

President Barack Obama (above), repeated the oft disproved claim that Catholic education increases division in front of an audience of 2000 young people, including many Catholics, at Belfast’s Waterfront hall when he arrived in the country this morning.

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” the US president said.

The US politician made the unfounded claim despite a top Vatican official spelling out the undeniable good done by Catholic education in a speech in Glasgow on Saturday and in his homily at Mass on Friday.

Archbishop Gerhard Müller (below), prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, told an audience in Scotland that Catholic education provided a rare place where ‘intellectual training, moral discipline and religious commitment would come together’ while giving the presitigous Cardinal Winning Lecture on Saturday to officially launch the St Andrews Foundation for Catholic teacher education at Glasgow University. During Mass at St Andrew’s Cathedral, Glasgow, on Friday night he said that ‘the Catholic school is vitally important … a critical component of the Church,’ adding that Catholic education provides young people with a wonderful opportunity to ‘grow up with Jesus.’

Mr Obama is in Northern Ireland to take part in the two day G8 Summit at the Lough Erne resort in Enneskillen.

by Anonymousreply 2006/24/2013

The Vatican praised them? Obama must be doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

Are the Catholics still reeling over the closing of the abuse/rape laundries?

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

This is NOT what he said, but it will be worth it to see Bill Donohue get on tv and get all red in the face again with false indignation. Maybe this time he will have a stroke and die live on Fox.

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

TCA response to President Obama's Belfast

Washingotn D.C.

June 20, 2013

Catholic education is a longstanding tradition and a gift to society at large. Why the president chose to attack that tradition is beyond comprehension and represents his continuing effort to relegate religion to the private sphere.

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

In the Republic of ireland, it wouldn't be unusual for a small town to have four schools -- one Catholic, one Anglican, one Presbyterian and one a state school. Educators realize that there is much duplication of effort and would like to see the schools consolidated.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

Good work Mr. President. THIS I support.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

Another reason Obama was the better pick, than Hillary Clinton.

If I was US President I would send in the Military to break the Vatican up. How much longer will the Old Pedos club be allowed to exist?

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

We love him!

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

Here's what really happened. And forgive me, but this is from the Washington Times, so you know it's not pro-Obama propaganda:

[quote]The nation’s next major challenge was laid out by Catholic and Protestant leaders of the Northern Ireland government last month. They’ve put forth a plan to take apart all peace lines within the next decade, an ambitious goal but one that’s backed by Mr. Cameron.

[quote]Mr. Obama also threw his weight behind the plan.

[quote]“If towns remain divided — if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden — that too encourages division. It discourages cooperation,” Mr. Obama said.

I leave it to your imagination which group of people took that out of context.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

While living in Indonesia as a child, President Obama attended a Catholic school

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2013

By whom has this been "oft disproved", I wonder. I went through the system myself, and I can attest that it is very decisive and polarising. The Catholic community have had plenty to complain about over the years in Northern Ireland, but in that one respect they have been their own worst enemy.

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

My grandparents were from NI. There were no state schools back then. You paid for all education and you paid for either a catholic or a Protestant school. You're not going to get those people to go to school together because of mutual mistrust. It's a hundreds-year old division and so long as there is a marching season you will not have non secular schools.

by Anonymousreply 1206/23/2013

It a better world than this, the Vatican would not be allowed to exist.

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

Oh for Christ's sake...he was talking about publicly-funded schools.

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs—if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division. It discourages cooperation.”

Unclench.

by Anonymousreply 1406/23/2013

I agree with him, however, he's got his kids in a private religious school.

by Anonymousreply 1506/23/2013

@R12 - that must have been before the Second World War. There has been free education for everyone in Northern Ireland certainly since the 1950's. Even the Catholic schools were largely state funded.

You're right though - the two communities won't mix unless they have no option. That is why they shouldn't be given an option. There should be no religiously- segregated schools. If people have grown up together they can't hate one another (or at least not as much).

by Anonymousreply 1606/24/2013

Why would the Irish care what Obama thinks about their educational system? It really is none of his business. And when you consider the venal, rotten treatment of teachers in the U.S., it's more hypocrisy. The world love affair with him is over

by Anonymousreply 1706/24/2013

President Obama is correct, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 1806/24/2013

Good for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1906/24/2013

Leave it to Obama to stick his nose in yet another civil war.

by Anonymousreply 2006/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.