Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Geography Question - England

What is the correct name of the ISLAND that is the location of England, Wales, and Scotland?

I have always referred the the entire island as "England" but surely that cannot be correct.

Is it "Great Britain" -- but that's a political construct, not a geographical designation, yes?

Does anyone know?

Brits, help!

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

Scotland, Wales, and England constitute Great Britain. Throw in Northern Ireland and you have the United Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

Pictures and everything:

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

Weird though it seems, Great Britain is a geographical not societal construct.

It's Greater Brittany. That's a description of the pre Norman Celtic entity. Welsh speakers could make themselves understood in Celtic Brittany.

United Kingdom only dates from early 18th century when a gay Scots king exerted tyranny over everyone.

The flag or 'union jack' is a Scots construct and the Red Cross flag of England borrowed from Acquitaine in Frabce

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

ok, update, act of union happened under Stuart queen anne I think

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

Thanks so much, r2.

Who says DL is a waste of time? I learn something new nearly every day!

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

Bite my crank and then run go die, r7.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

Great Britain is the largest island in the archipelago that makes up the British Isles, Great meaning largest in this context. England, Scotland and Wales are located on Great Britain. Northern Ireland is on a separate island within the British Isles. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the four constituent parts of The United Kingdom. The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey etc.) are Crown Dependencies, not part of the UK but under the protection of the UK.

The union flag isn't a Scottish construct, it's an amalgam of the flags of St. George, St. Andrew and St. Patrick, the patron saints of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The St. George's Cross represents both England and Wales for this purpose as Wales was considered part of England when the flag was first designed.

So, short version: calling it England is wrong on every level.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

Fun fact to know and tell:

In terms of square miles, the island of Great Britain and the US state of Minnesota are pretty close.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

aka the British Isles.

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

She was neo's girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

So Ireland is Little Britain, is it not?

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

[quote]I have always referred the the entire island as "England" but surely that cannot be correct.

Well you and most other Americans/Euros etc. I actually like it better cause you're being more specific and usually that's what's meant. English people themselves often tend to say "England" for everything.

I also love the internet meme "British accent", it sounds funny. r13 you could also say "The British Isles" but it doesn't have a nice ring to it.

England is Britain at the end of the day. It has 10 times or more as many people than the other countries. It also has about the highest population density of any country in the world, if you look at it that day.. I think it was highest at one point.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

The level of ignorance displayed in this thread appals me.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!