Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Give Up Soda Right Now!

Last month I went to my doctor for my high blood pressure. Of course, as I knew it would be, it was extremely high. Given the fact that I'm only 28 years old, my doctor was clearly quite exasberated with me about my poor health. He basically told me that medication alone won't beat this thing...they can't do all the heavy lifting. I need to make a change on my end too. I could either get serious about my health now while I was still relatively young or I would most likely have a heart attack or stroke by the time I was 40.

His words really got to me. I tried to be healthier several times before but something snapped in me that day and I didn't look back. He told me to just give up one bad item from my diet and that it would make a world of difference. I thought about it and decided that I could give up soda and not feel too bad about it. I drank about one or two sodas a day, usually with lunch and dinner.

Instead of drinking soda I replaced this with water. I thought it would be harder but it was surprisingly easy and I didn't even really notice the absence much.

Well, just yesterday I went back for a follow up visit and to my utter shock I had apparently lost 15 lbs in the short 4 weeks since my last visit! I didn't exercise more or cut anything else out of my diet. I literally just gave up soda and lost the weight of a bowling ball off my body!

It felt so great and now I'm inspired to slowly start dropping other bad items from my diet like fried foods and start increasing my trips to the gym from 2-3 times a week to 4-5 times a week.

Moral of the story is: You don't have to give up all the foods you love. Just give up one thing and see how easy it is. I gave up soda because I didn't want to drink my calories. I would rather eat a nice meal and pair it with a glass of water than to continue drinking soda and end up dead at 40.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4806/29/2013

Congrats OP. Keep up the good work.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 106/20/2013

I agree OP. I like your determination.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 206/20/2013

Soda's 10 lbs. easily.

I occasionally have a Coke; Cane sugar probably doesn't make a difference, but that's what I try to have when I do.

I have club soda with lemon and lime.

Switching to plain water makes a big difference.

Good luck OP

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 306/20/2013

Excellent op! Giving up pop (soda) was a great investment for your health, and I'm sure you'll loose even more pounds over time. Just think of one or two more vices to remove from your life, and you're well on your way to adding 20 years to your life.

Good luck!

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 406/20/2013

R3, coke has fructose corn syrup in it.

Unless you have special access to coke with cane sugar??

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 506/20/2013

R5, you can buy the "Mexican Coke" at Costco, and most grocery stores now, that's made with cane sugar, not HFCS.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 606/20/2013

If you think cane sugar is an improvement, that's like a crackhead waiting for a better brand of baking soda in their rock

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 706/20/2013

R6, does the Mexican coke with cane sugar come in glass bottles only?

Is that how one recognizes it? Any other particular identifiers other than reading ingredients on the packaging?

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 806/20/2013

I don't see why 15 pounds would fall off your body just by merely the stoppage of drinking soda.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 906/20/2013

I've never liked pop. Right now I'm drinking homemade peach iced tea. I've switched from ice cream to homemade pudding with fruit. Trying to cut down on sugar too. Wish I could think of something easy to eliminate from my diet like OP.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1006/20/2013

It didnt work for me. I quit Jan 1 and have lost nothing. I hate my fucking life some times.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1106/20/2013

OP = Honey Boo Boo's mama.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1206/20/2013

OP, did you drink regular soda or diet soda? Congrats btw, good for you!

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1306/20/2013

Regular soda, r13. I never cared much for diet soda which is why I didn't replace the regular with diet.

If I'm going to have a soda, I want the real taste, not the fake, chemical taste that you get from diet drinks.

My best friend's mother drank diet soda every day of her life and died of excruciating brain cancer at the age of 54. The phony FDA claims to not have definitive proof that aspartame is linked to cancer, but I call bullshit.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1406/20/2013

R14, IMHO aspartame and artificial sweeteners are very unhealthy. In some cases it's been proven that they make you crave more real sugar.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1506/20/2013

OP, congratulations for the weight loss, because it doesn't happen for everyone. Some of us can give up all sorts of food and drink we love, and not lose a pound. Not that it isn't worth it for health reasons, of course, and you've made me realize how much my Diet Coke consumption has been creeping up.

During the winter I was very good about drinking tea instead of soda (the water here doesn't taste good), but now that it's hot out I need something else cold and refreshing.

I'm going to make iced tea by the vat, and make sure I always have cold seltzer on hand. A little club soda or seltzer with a little fruit juice (lime and mint is great) is as refreshing as soda, but much healthier.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1606/20/2013

Now try some green or white tea, hot or iced, to replace the soda.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1706/20/2013

R16, are club soda and seltzer better than soda pop?

I don't know anything about club soda and seltzer.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1806/27/2013

Yes, R18. There's no sugar in them.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 1906/27/2013

R18, if you're not worried about artificial sweeteners, most groceries sell fruit flavored sparkling waters that are a great way to get off soda. They zero calorie/sugar, but taste almost exactly like soda. Also, there's no "non-diet" version to compare it with, if diet soda bothers you like it does me.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2006/28/2013

[quote]I don't see why 15 pounds would fall off your body just by merely the stoppage of drinking soda.

Really? Soda is nothing but sugar and chemicals. Lots of extra calories with zero filling effect or any nutritional value. Not to mention sugar spikes your blood sugar making it even harder to maintain a good diet.

It is very easy to see why giving up all the sugar from soda(or "juice" which generally is no better) will easily cause you to lose pounds.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2106/28/2013

I'm worried about the fizz in club soda. Is the fizz made with chemicals?

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2206/28/2013

Sugar is sugar, fatties, whether in the form gathered by organic honeybees or that manufactured by evil agribusinesses in the form of high-fructose corn syrup.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2306/28/2013

R21, I can see not gaining any additional weight after giving up soda, but to have pounds fall off usually takes exercise or the pounds have no way of falling off.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2406/28/2013

Congrats OP! Been off of soda for 30 years. Cannot stand the taste anymore. Waaaay tooo sweet for me now.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2506/28/2013

Been drinking 3-4 cans of soda a day for the past 15 years and I'm healthy as a horse. I don't smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs, so I'll be damned if I'm going to give up soda - I'm allowed at least one vice.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2606/28/2013

What R9 & R24 said. Someone who lost 15 pounds just by giving up drinking soda must have been drinking an absolute shitload of the stuff.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2706/28/2013

Hansen's soda is made w/ cane sugar.

I'm not a big soda drinker although I do buy their ginger ale on occasion.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2806/28/2013

R8, the only Mexican Coke I've seen is in glass bottles, about 12 ounces (one & a half cups). The display is usually labelled as being "Mexican Coke", or "Coca Cola from Mexico". The price is higher than American Coke, close to $1/bottle. And you can read the ingredients label to whether it has cane sugar or fructose corn syrup.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 2906/28/2013

I gave up soda five years ago. I don't miss it at all. I drink water, unsweetened green ice tea and, sometimes, fresh lemonade. Soda is poison.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3006/28/2013

[quote]Been drinking 3-4 cans of soda a day for the past 15 years and I'm healthy as a horse. I don't smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs, so I'll be damned if I'm going to give up soda - I'm allowed at least one vice.

Yes, dear, but you're only 17.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3106/28/2013

If soda is a big part of your diet (like r26 describes), then it's not inconceivable that replacing all those calories with water could result in a weight drop. If you're only an occasional soda drinker, then removing it probably won't have as much of an impact.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3206/28/2013

R31 More like 30.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3306/28/2013

Are Starbucks Refreshers bad for you?

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3406/28/2013

R30, it is 'iced tea', not ice tea.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3506/28/2013

Soda is bad for you, but so is lemonade and so is other sweet fruit juice. You've got to give up sweet drinks pretty much altogether: they are only good for a once-in-a-great-while thing--in effect, like dessert. Water is fine and so is milk.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3606/28/2013

Milk is not healthy unless you purchase organic milk. Regular milk contains harmful hormones and a harmful substance called casein (can't remember the spelling and don't feel like looking it up right now)

You are much better off buying Blue Diamond Almond Milk.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3706/28/2013

And this thread has officially gone health nut crazy. I'm out.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3806/28/2013

With club soda and many sparkling waters, you need to beware of the sodium content, particularly if you are concerned about high blood pressure. I get bored drinking plain water all the time, so I make a variety of green and herbal iced teas. I recommend Twining's ginger ad lemon.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 3906/28/2013

Oh Lord - the health food queens are SO tiresome!

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4006/28/2013

It is not being a "health nut" to know that regular milk is full of harmful hormones and casein.

And that Blue Diamond Almond Milk is highly preferable to regular milk.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4106/28/2013

Born again anything is dull and fascist. I am bored by some moron who discovered that soda has calories and that you drink them. Give me a jack and coke.

If you work out and have good genetics you can get away with food murder. Smoke and drink too. If you are genetically cursed you have to do what you can do, but it won't stop cancer or heart disease. The rest is a lie. All the atheists clutch to food science. It is a similarly harmless religion, but with so much quantifying. Have a burger or have almond milk. Both taste good. Vegetables are good for you and processed food is suspect. 1950 called.

The moral issues regarding eating meat and dairy are a bit more interesting, but not enough that anyone should continue here.

BTW, congratulations OP. Take the cream out of your coffee and you can lose ten pounds in a year. Miracles. From 1950.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4206/28/2013

Congrats OP, give up the sugar in soda and high fructose in other products.

Also, club soda is very high in sodium, so bad for you. Try to find SELTZER water instead, it looks and tastes the same but is different.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4306/28/2013

R41 is wrong. Blue Diamond milk, and soy milk can be bad for you because they add sugar to it to sweeten it up, lots of sugar. Read the labels!

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4406/28/2013

Congratulations OP, on taking better care of yourself. Take it slowly though, don't just eliminate tons of things you are used to all at once, or else you might rebound in some way.

Watch this great video on how diet soda (and all soda, actually) is truly horrible for you. It has something to do with pH balance and your metabolism...

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4506/28/2013

R44, you are ignorant.

Blue Diamond Almond Milk makes unsweetened and sweetened. One should buy the unsweetened.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4606/28/2013

DL dieters, it's been suggested that I start consuming olive oil or avocados on a daily basis to lose weight. Apparently you can even substitute olive for regular oil in any baked goods. I was told to add grated orange rind to the olive oil to cover up the taste. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? Perhaps you should have olive oil with whole grain bread 1/2 hr before eating a meal, to kill your hunger.

by If I can do it, so can you, believe me.reply 4706/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.