Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any I.T. contractors here?

For those of us consulting & contracting in IT, does anyone else get bombed by the Indian recruiting firms who seem to be nothing more than resume farms?

Also, are you seeing an overwhelming number of Non-American Indian OT people getting jobs, particularly as cheap developers/coders?

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

The company I work at no longer sponsors foreign workers (I-140?). It's a full green card or nothing. Recruiters get mad when I tell them, but fuck them. I don't need to look at employees needing sponsorship when I have a pool of highly qualified people in the New York metro area. The recruiters also get pissed when I tell them work from home isn't allowed and everyone must be in the office by 9 AM. The sense of entitlement is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

Yes, OP. They are inundating the market. Their sheer numbers, their hysteria to get out of India and Make It Big, and their almost inevitable combination of horrid personality, disgusting entitlement, and idiotic incompetency is making a huge mess of things.

I have worked with eight of them and every single one - including two PhDs in Computer Science and self-proclaimed hotshots - were among the worst performers I've ever seen. And their attitudes were as offensive as their lack of skills.

Do Not Hire No-Green-Card Contractors. And Fuck Indians. Stay Home and Starve.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

How did they fuck up on projects, R2? I'm interested. I expected US counterparts to be the fuck-ups (although I support hiring American workers)

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

R2, while harsh is, unfortunately spot on.

My boyfriend and I are both IT professional. He's an engineer, I'm a program (project) manager. He's fulltime/perm, I've been a contract/consultant for 11 years now. I have two extremely close friends who are professional IT recruiters and the deluge of Indians is staggering. Oddly, it doesn't seem to make the media.

From small cities in midwest states to New York, Chicago and Silicon Valley, American technology people, especially programmers and developers are being pushed out.

I had a contract with Ann Taylor working at their corporate headquarters three years ago. My job there was assessing the project teams, professional project managers, certified and almost all of them with advanced degrees and years of experience. The company was getting rid of them. ALL of them, and bringing in an Indian-based IT resource firm and has since replaced about 80% of their IT workforce at their corporate base. (I have a neighbor who works there and keeps me up to date).

By far, the Indians, while mostly very nice, kind people, are idiots. Poorly trained and educated with firms here in the U.S. whose sole purpose is shipping over Indians in order to give them anchor status in the U.S., allowing them to bring over more family members to...guess what? WORK.

It's amazing that when I was younger, perhaps even now, I would jump at the opportunity to work abroad fulltime for a couple of years, especially in Europe. Americans are pretty much forbidden from working in most any other country with a few exceptions. Yet the American job market is flooded with people form placed like Australia, the U.K. and India. The government just ins't looking out for U.S. workers at all.

I'm getting ready for work in about five minutes... A day full of managing headaches and people from India. It's frustrating and maddening.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

For you R4. Maybe you need a better translator.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

R4, Why would Ann Taylor (or her well dressed minons) make that call? I really don't get it. Isn't acquiring visas for foreign workers time-consuming and expensive? Why don't they just hire an American who has the chops - it seems so much easier. I think companies that do this should be exposed and boycotted. But could the salary reduction be that low that the complications of securing work visas is worth it?

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

It's ideological, R6 - it doesn't have to make sense. It's like religious fanaticism.

I agree these companies should be boycotted. It is treason the way they are destroying the workforce, industry, communities, people's lives, the nation.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

I STILL don't get it - but thanks for answering my question. I could imagine AT, for example, hiring English people, because they get posh blowback with all the accents running around. But hiring Indian IT people - who would move here? not stay in India - seems sort of cheap, low rent. I don't use fakebook, but this is what it's for. Exposing this shit.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

It is to destabalize and destroy the workforce here. Make the workers here more vulnerable, then cheaper - the US becomes India, or China.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

[quote]Yet the American job market is flooded with people form placed like Australia, the U.K. and India. The government just ins't looking out for U.S. workers at all.

Why would you ever think they would be? Its about driving wages down for their corporate masters.

And if they do try to put in protections the far left will accuse them of racism.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

We had a Chinese programmer who claimed to have a PhD in artificial intelligence who sat at his desk all day reading hardcover Chinese books and couldn't even handle a Microsoft Access database. Conclusion? His resume was a fake. American employers have no ability to check references of Indian or Chinese programmers and they hire them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

Did they fire him, R11? Is the pay differential so great they're going to burn American workers like this? People should get the word out. I will no longer shop at Ann Taylor

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.