Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Your favorite tv shows that you were glad finally ended

BUFFY - Though I quite enjoyed season 6, that final season was beyond terrible. They couldn't even keep the lore straight...Buffy telling the potentials, "If I die, one of you will be called." Uhm, no. The slayer line now ran through Faith, not you. Also those enless "I will sacrifice each and every one of you" bullshit.

ANGEL - God awful final season. I blame it on several factors. No Cordelia, the addition of the Buffy writers and that stupid werewolf skank. Angel can have an ongoing sexual relationship and keep his soul? Well I guess she didn't truly make him happy, since he also fucked Darla and kept his soul. e only lost it when he screwed Buffy and had "mystical" sex with Cordy. The real downpoint of the entire series had to be the addition of Fred.

NIP/TUCK - Those final seasons (after the move to LA) were tortuous but I had been watching since the beginning and felt compelled to stick it out.

POPULAR - Brilliant and hilarious first season that really pushed the envelope. So they follow it up with a "heartwarming" season where everyone must now understand one another. Anorexia, obesity, teen marriage, etc... Even the awesome Mary Cherry got sweet. The only bright spot was Tammy's Ex who never lost her biting edge.

What would you choose?

by Anonymousreply 9006/25/2013

Definitely agree on Buffy and Nip/Tuck with both of those shows it was time for them to come to an end.

Smallville is one that was dragged out way past when it should have been, was glad when they finally ended it.

Funny how you name two Ryan Murphy shows. And now Glee is going on and most people agree that it should set an end goal soon.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

SMALLVILLE - I would have mentioned that, but I think once it finally embraced the DC Universe, it got better. That actually brought me back as a viewer. It was lame shit like those 2 seasons spent in a cave and chasing after Lana that turned me off, but once you had Flash, Zatanna, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Brainiac, Silver Banshee showing up it got better. Hell, we even got to see the JSA, The Wonder Twins and Ultraman.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

Designing Women was my favorite show when I was growing up (yeah, I know, MARY)

I would put some of the episodes up against any other sitcom in history.

The last two seasons...especially the last one.... are probably some of the worst half hours of television ever.

Oddly enough, after Delta Burke and Jean Smart left, it was Jean Smart whose presence was most missed. Jan Hooks gave it her all and was hilarious on occasion, but the writing was absolutely abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

Third Watch

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

Moonlighting.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

Lost.

The show got better when they announced an exit plan.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

Roseanne

The Office

The Mary Tyler Moore show

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

Laverne & Shirley

A turn for the worse when they moved to Los Angeles.

Unwatchable final season without Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

Seinfeld. The last two seasons are spectacularly unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

Northern Exposure. They couldn't sustain it without Fleischman.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

The X Files owns this thread....

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

Frasier. Excellent first six seasons. Downhill when Daphne and Niles finally got together. Seasons 9 and 10 were very poor. The final season was truly excellent.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

I second Smallville and feel that Supernatural has gone on too long. There have been several stopping points for that show.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

[quote]except you're an idiot if you don't like the final season of Angel.

I have one word for you...

EVE

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

Roseanne

Buffy

House

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

Daphne and Miles getting together was maybe the worst idea ever. Their marriage and coming baby was an even worse idea. They had no chemistry whatsoever. DHP is an amazing actor, but he sure couldn't pull that off...at all. Plus, she couldn't sell it either.

"M.A.S.H." It's time had come and gone by the time they pulled the plug. For me, it never recovered from the loss of Wayne Rogers and McLean Stevenson. Alan Alda seriously worked my last good nerve as the series dragged on. That laugh would send shivers down my back and not in a good way. I thought the highly rated finale sucked big hairy donkey balls.

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

I wasn't necessarily happy, but "Enlightened" ended perfectly. I was glad about that.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

I was ready for "Hose" to be finished . . . . I did love the actor, the premise, and the odd ball nature of it all . . . .and I did watch 'em all, but I was ready . . .

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

Desperate Housewives

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

Falcon Crest.

Boy, did they fuck that one up.

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

The battlestar galactica reboot.

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

Beauty & the Beast on CBS

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

24 -- Jack Bauer's saving the world exploits became ridiculous by the 4-5th seasons. Though I admit I was still watching till the end of the series. I couldn't quit the show.

Lost wins this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

Agree about The X-Files. It should have ended with season 7 instead of trying to limp along without Duchovny.

I did like Annabeth Gish, though.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

Cheers. I was a kid during the original run but watching the whole series as an adult I could see that it needed to end.

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2013

Weeds- should have ended after season 3.

by Anonymousreply 3006/20/2013

It was never one of my "favorite" shows, but I would have to say Queer as Folk. I stuck through it bad season after bad season because it was the only thing we had at the time. It was nice to say goodbye to those characters.

Was also glad to see Sex and the City end. The first three seasons were great, but the last three (with Michael Patrick King at the helm) were pretty awful (esp. the Baryshnikov arc).

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2013

R18 I have another word for you: Spike

It's the only Angel season I own and actually watched.

Smallvillle sucked balls in the last half of season 5 all the way through season 7.

It picked up considerably in seasons 8-10.

I loved XFiles but it did go on too long.

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2013

OP,

Please stop trying to infuse your posts with novel adjectives. It exposes your lack of vocabulary skills. You mean "torturous," not "tortuous," which in this context is nonsensical since you plainly are not referring to the labyrinthine and wandering plotting of the show.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3306/20/2013

Charmed- It should have ended after seasons 4 or 5. Seasons 6 and 7 had some good moments but 8 was horrible and should never have been made.

X-Files- should have ended after season 5.

Heros- the writers strike killed it and it should have just ended there.

by Anonymousreply 3406/20/2013

Mary Tyler Moore show. Once Mary moved into a new apartment and Penny Marshall was her next door neighbor I wished it had ended with dignity the season before.

And any tv show that had to resort to bringing in a cute kid to, hopefully, boost ratings...never worked (i.e. All In The Family, Growing Pains and, yes, Cousin Oliver in Brady Bunch)

by Anonymousreply 3506/20/2013

[quote]I agree about all, OP, except you're an idiot if you don't like the final season of Angel.

There is a time I would have agreed with OP, but on consideration, I agree with this.

Season 5 had some crap in it.....a few of the worst episodes of the entire series. But, it also had some of the best.

by Anonymousreply 3606/20/2013

Everyone on this thread has terrible taste. Buffy/Angel/Etc. fans are truly brain dead.

by Anonymousreply 3706/20/2013

Angel was very topsy turvy overall. In any given season you'd have excellent episodes that made you think your overpriced cable bill was worth it and then you'd have horrific episodes that made you want to splash battery acid in your eyes just to erase what you just saw.

by Anonymousreply 3806/20/2013

r38 thinks "Ice Road Truckers" and "Storage Wars" is the creme de la creme.

by Anonymousreply 3906/20/2013

On the contrary, R38. The Buffverse is loaded with metaphors and is so philosophical that it has spawned many a book and even academic courses that have been taught in schools (known as Buffy Studies).

by Anonymousreply 4006/20/2013

I think MTM was still good in its later years. That being said, some of season 7 was filler to the obvious end it was lurching towards.

But it was season 5 and 6 that had really funny eps like Chuckles the Clown.

by Anonymousreply 4106/20/2013

I'm in the camp that thinks Buffy got considerably worse after Season Three. Season Three was the pinnacle of its greatness, then as a whole it got worse.

Now, as many fans like to point out, there were some great EPISODES stuck in the crappier seasons but in general the show did decline, random great episodes or not.

I also really resented the death of Buffy's mother which I felt added something to the show that was never quite replaced. I never cared for Dawn either. I don't like additional characters added on midway. They usually never quite take.

by Anonymousreply 4206/20/2013

After losing interest in the show, I re-started regularly watching X-Files when Annabeth Gish joined. I liked it. David Duchovny was (and still is) annoying to me.

by Anonymousreply 4306/20/2013

GLEE.

Oh, wait. It hasn't ended yet.

It really came close to losing me last season. If they don't get back to basics next year, I'm gone. Five or ten wonderful minutes in a dreadful hour is just not enough.

by Anonymousreply 4406/20/2013

[quote]SMALLVILLE - I would have mentioned that, but I think once it finally embraced the DC Universe, it got better. That actually brought me back as a viewer. It was lame shit like those 2 seasons spent in a cave and chasing after Lana that turned me off, but once you had Flash, Zatanna, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Brainiac, Silver Banshee showing up it got better. Hell, we even got to see the JSA, The Wonder Twins and Ultraman.

I honestly thought Smallvillle's final two seasons were better than most of the ones that came in the middle of the run. I don't know if I was glad that it ended, but it went out on a strong note, although the actual finale was a bit of a let-down.

I gotta stick with X-Files. I think there's enough in the eighth season that makes it watchable, but that final one was just a bridge to far. And then giving the audience a finale that was nothing but a giant middle-finger to people who had stuck with the show for that long.

by Anonymousreply 4506/20/2013

In regards to Angel's last season. The Cordeila episode really showed how it hurt not having her as the lead female. It was so much better than the episodes before it. To be fair, the show was a better after that episode, the death of Cordelia and that episode helped refocus things.

One line from that episode was a nice shout out to the annoyance of Eve. Cordy dismissingly asking who is this - Lila-lite? Replacing Lila with Eve because they wanted someone younger was a big mistake. Lila was a better actress, a better adversary, and even though older, better looking.

by Anonymousreply 4606/20/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4706/20/2013

I am in the minority here - because I liked Friends (although it went a couple of two years two long). I really could have cared less about Ross and Rachel after about their second break-up. I thought it was a mistake for Rachel to give up her dream job to get back into her dysfunctional relationship with Ross. The will they won't they -- esp when it goes on over multiple break-ups gets old.

The one thing the show did right was have Monica and Chandler's relationship evolve in a normal way. There were no contrived break-ups.

by Anonymousreply 4806/20/2013

Buffy. I wish it had ended before the dearth of slayers. I would've liked if Angel hung around for another season. I was one of the few viewers who liked the Connor storyline.

Queer as Folk ended a season too late.

I wish Boardwalk Empire would end.

by Anonymousreply 4906/20/2013

After they killed Ade and Christophuh, The Sopranos had nowhere to go.

by Anonymousreply 5006/20/2013

Cheers

Desperate Housewives

Lost _(god the ending was horrible)

24 - the season where at the end Jack is captured by the Chinese. I mean all season long Chloe can get a hold of him via his cell, the NSA, the FBI, hell the terrorists can all get a hold of him by his cell phone...yet at the end an agent comes up to him and says "there is a call for you in the abandoned where house phone and Jack goes...DUH OKAY... rather than think for a second and go "gee why would they not call my cell like every other fricken time?"

by Anonymousreply 5106/20/2013

Six Feet Under - I was tired of the depressing events the Fishers and Friends had to go through from season 3 on.

Southland - John Cooper was being tortured as a character and Ben Sherman was turned into a major douche.

by Anonymousreply 5206/20/2013

"and is so philosophical"

I have no beef with Buffy and Angel - I'm truly indifferent - but anything that exists can have profound philosophical import. That has more to do with the depth of philosophy's purview, and not with the Buffyverse.

by Anonymousreply 5306/20/2013

I was glad when Ally McBeal finally came to an end. The last 2 seasons were unwatchable and I hated to see such a enjoyable show become so gimmicky and a parody of itself.

by Anonymousreply 5406/20/2013

Deadwood. I stopped watching early into it's final season. Ian Mc Shane's character would launch into these blathering long winded soliloquies that made no sense. It was the wild west, not Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 5506/21/2013

I wish I could put South Park on this list. The first 2 or 3 seasons were very sharp and funny. The past several years it's felt like the ideas, cleverness, and humor are gone.

by Anonymousreply 5606/21/2013

I mentioned Third Watch because it had already become a cop show at that point. They were moving away from the firefighters, paramedics, and cops working side by side.

Eddie Cibrian had left during the fifth season. Bobby Canavale left during the second season. Michael Beach left during the fifth season. Amy Carlson left during the fourth season. The list goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 5706/21/2013

The Wire was exceptional, except for season 5.

by Anonymousreply 5806/21/2013

Firefly. It ran out ideas by about episode 3. We had to endure 10 more.

by Anonymousreply 5906/21/2013

I loved the last few seasons of Seinfeld r11, but like most people I loathed the final episode. Unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 6006/21/2013

OP? Go outside.

by Anonymousreply 6106/21/2013

'Dexter' - well, soon to end, anyway. It's gotten so ridiculous, it has to end. I can't wait for this season to start, though.

I disagree about, 'Frasier'. Any DHP is good DHP.

by Anonymousreply 6206/21/2013

The problem with "House" is that the longer it ran, the more knots it got into trying to compensate for its extremely shaky premise that this grossly unethical junkie doctor would not only keep his medical license and remain employed but would command all this adoration and respect. A lot of it depended on House slipping in and out of character, which made me exasperated. You can't be idealistic, generous and wise AND an obtuse, self-centered asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6306/21/2013

Agree about Smallville. First three seasons were great. Final three were very good as well.

But the middle years were dreadfully bad. Felt like they were spinning their wheels, not going anywhere. Whatever season they brought in Jensen Ackles was especially poor. I recorded every episode, but often fast forwarded through much of it.

Whatever season they brought in Justin Hartley as Green Arrow, things began to improve again. And then they brought in Supergirl and other DC Universe characters. That had me glued to the series again.

by Anonymousreply 6406/21/2013

Please STOP talking about Buffy and Angel! ENOUGH.

by Anonymousreply 6506/21/2013

Prison Break.

Great first season, so-so second and third seasons. Unwatchable fourth season.

by Anonymousreply 6606/21/2013

I just wanted to mention Buffy and 24 again.

These are two shows that both had natural, brilliant ending points. Buffy's was of course when she died, and 24's was at the end of season 4 or 5 when Jack's death is faked and he walks into the sunset.

Of course both went on multiple seasons after, though at least Buffy (and SMG) had the good sense to cap it at 2 more. 24 went on I think for a good 4-5 more years after that and became more and more unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 6706/21/2013

CSI: Miami - It became unwatchable by the 2011-2012 season. I wasn't surprised that it got cancelled right after the season ended. It been on since 2002.

by Anonymousreply 6806/21/2013

R63, I could only watch about 10 minutes of a House episode. In real life this asshole would have been fired.

by Anonymousreply 6906/21/2013

I will be glad when Grey's Anatomy finally goes. I did like it at first, but it's been a bore for a while and a shitty mess for the last few years in particular.

I agree Desperate Housewives stayed a year or two too long at the fair too. Brothers & Sisters seemed to end at the right time (5 seasons, which is really about all any show has in it) and Ugly Betty left far too soon.

by Anonymousreply 7006/21/2013

I kind of wish that US TV would go more to the UK model - or the HBO model, I guess. 10-13 episodes and you only make more when you have a batch of story.

by Anonymousreply 7106/21/2013

It's interesting how many of these shows got continued as comic books. Buffy is currently on its "Season 9" with two regular titles ("Buffy" and "Angel and Faith", plus Spike and Willow miniseries), Smallville Season 11 has been running digitally in DC Comics for the last year, and there was the very first issue of X-Files Season 10 put out this week.

by Anonymousreply 7206/21/2013

True Blood after season 3.

by Anonymousreply 7306/21/2013

Murder She Wrote-the show really went downhill after Jessica moved to NYC. The last couple of season were trully cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 7506/21/2013

I didn't like Smallville as much after Lex Luthor was gone. He and Clark had good chemistry. But the beauty of Tom Welling and other guest stars kept me watching until the end.

by Anonymousreply 7606/21/2013

ITA that Fred was the demise of Angel.

by Anonymousreply 7706/21/2013

[quote]House -- Not sure when it should have ended, but I stopped watching years before it did.

When they introduced Taub, 13, et al. I give Jesse Spencer kisses 'cause I wish he was my missus. How [italic]dare[/italic] they replace him, even a little.

by Anonymousreply 7806/22/2013

Roseanne Family Matters Charmed

by Anonymousreply 7906/23/2013

Lost in Space

by Anonymousreply 8006/23/2013

The Ed Sullivan show.

by Anonymousreply 8106/23/2013

My Mother the Car

by Anonymousreply 8206/24/2013

Brothers & Sisters - The show jumped the shark as soon as they un-Walkered Rebecca and paired her with Justin. They didn't even last as a couple. The story of a brother and sister with feelings for each other would've been far more interesting than two siblings suddenly getting together after a DNA test said they weren't related.

by Anonymousreply 8306/24/2013

Night Court

by Anonymousreply 8406/24/2013

Friends. Got annoyed with Joey and Chandler, just as I was beginning to tolerate Monica and Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 8506/24/2013

R62 I agree. But DHP was woefully under-used in the later seasons, when the writers lost direction and Niles simply became the hen-pecked counter-point to Daphne's nagging shrew.

Frasier was so much better in the earlier seasons, and the final season, when the writing was better, and DHP was able to give it his all.

by Anonymousreply 8606/24/2013

R83, I quit watching Brothers & Sisters when Nora invited Rebecca to move into the Walker home. I saw that as a terrible betrayal of Sarah. Maybe Nora didn't realize what she was like, but you can take one look at Rebecca and know she's sneaky.

I watched most of the recent reruns and realized I hadn't missed a damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 8706/24/2013

Veronica Mars. Brilliant first season and nothing after that. Oooh, it's going to be a movie. Sorry but they had a story to tell and told it in Season One. Both seasons that followed were like heroin addicts trying to replicate their initial high.

by Anonymousreply 8806/24/2013

OP, you stole mine (Buffy)! Though, one show I really wish HAD continued on was United States of Tara

by Anonymousreply 8906/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.