Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will India one day surpass America?

And become the number one superpower? I heard an Indian man talk about it with his friends that by 2015, India would be the number one superpower surpassing United States.

by Anonymousreply 9404/26/2015

[quote]less than half the children can divide 20 by 5, even after four years of schooling

"FEWER than half..."

JFC, even the NYT can't be bothered to get this right now.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

India and China have major problems at home, yet are full of talk about becoming superpowers

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

[quote] The poor have to rely on low-quality — and sometimes exploitative — private medical care, because there isn’t enough decent public care.

Years ago one of our Indian surgical residents was telling us that in India, nurses perform appendectomies. An appendectomy is a relatively easy operation and a life-saving one. Surgeons are too few and too busy to be bothered with such small potatoes, so they train nurses to do it and forge the paperwork, claiming the surgeons did it.

He also told us that patients are assigned to care for other patients. "If a person is blind, we grab someone with the same last name and say, 'This is your cousin. You must care for him.' And the other patient will help feed and will lead around the blind patient. Some patients must bathe and dress others. Wealthy patients go to nice hospitals but most people are crowded into hospital hallways. Families often stay with a patient.

When I did an internship at a hospital in Queens, teenaged Indian girls were often brought in to sit with their relatives (who were patients) for 12, 16, 24 hours. I would offer the girls fruit, juice, salad, cake -- anything I could get from dietary that didn't use meat as an ingredient, but they refused.

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

India has already surpassed America in the number of guys named Ryan who help me with my computer problems.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

Only when India has developed working sewers and septic for the whole country.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

Superpower is a subjective term, I will use it however I want.

Will India one day be ahead of America again? Of course. Fortuna's wheel always turns. But not until there are big changes.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

As r11's post shows, India is a land of infinite fuckery. And they bring that shite here too.

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

Did you mean,"...they bring that Shiite here too," R15?

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

Doubt it. I remember they couldn't even organise the Commonwealth Games properly. India is a shithole a lot of the time. China is the threat.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

OP is trolling, right?

What people are forgetting is that the USA being far removed from Asia/Europe help her stay a superpower. She answers only to herself, and has no direct rivals within her continent.

For all the troubles in South America, the truth is that the various cultures throughout the Americas are more in harmony with each other than most continents. The China addiction is temporary, the USA has all the resources she needs at her fingertips.

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

The U.S. is comprised of every ethnicity on earth, coexisting more or less harmoniously.

The idea that any other polity could surpass us in cultural or political relevance, or power is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

"Superpower is a subjective term, I will use it however I want."

Language isn't your exclusive plaything, hon. It has an established meaning with the Anglophone community - you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

Gandhi wanted India to hold on to it's tradition ways (other than the caste system, of course) and that the soul of India was in it's villages, not it's cities. Look at that shithole now, the villages are rutted dusty roads with animals wandering between incessantly honking pedicabs and taxis. The country that probably graduates more engineers than any other has a completely hopeless infrastructure, no one wants to go into civil engineering and why should they? Better to get a job in computer engineering or some other and maybe get a job in Silicon Valley. Don't let anyone say "ah, but the cities are modern and sparkling clean." Bull sheiss. I've been there. I've never seen such chaos, and what they consider clean is way different than what we do.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

Indians are overly confident. They are good at spelling bees but they'll never rule the world.

Don't tell that to Parag Khanna, who believes they will. But he lives in Singapore now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

India is a shithole, and so filthy and unhygenic. The living conditions in India have not existed in the Western World since the 18th century.

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

[quote]"FEWER than half..." JFC, even the NYT can't be bothered to get this right now.

"Less than half the children" is correct - the operative word here is "half," not "children." Use "less" when you refer to a measure.

"Fewer than half the children" sounds stilted and wrong.

Would you say "fewer than half the people?"

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

They are both inextricably mired in horrendous poverty. Unless you're wealthy, it's a brutish life in either place.

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

Marian the Librarian is back!!!

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

Moreover, would you say "fewer than half the hours"?

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

R19 I agree. Actually, I'll take it a step further.

If there's a culture that's more universally accepted throughout the world, it's the American. When you pair it with other factors like geography, natural resources, technology, and political leadership it's no wonder why America is so successful. It's like the perfect storm effect, many extraordinary factors came together and created what it is.

Short of Russia-China merging, America is here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

By 2050, India will be feeding America and Europe! China and the Chinese would have fed themselves to each other. Oh it will come full circle: World's greatest civilisations in chronological order: India, China, Africa (mainly Egyptian)Greek, Roman, British, American - and back again.

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2013

[quote]If there's a culture that's more universally accepted throughout the world, it's the American.

What does that even mean? "Acceptance" as in "familiarity with"? This sounds like the opening sentence of a high-school essay.

by Anonymousreply 3006/21/2013

Oh dear R29!

It's more likely for India to get nuked by Pakistan.

India doesn't have the resources,political reach, or technological innovation to be the leader in her own continent!!!! Let alone Europe or the Americas. I am very sorry to say this, but you're practically a third world country.

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2013

By 2050 I said R31, I will still be around - would you, darling? Nope, I am neither Indian, nor in India - just a brilliant economist! hahah

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2013

I'm an old Indian hand here but must say India doesn't seem to be heading to a superpower position anytime soon. It is developing yes but still way, way behind other places. Indians even go to Thailand for their holidays thinking it is a step up. It is a great place to get sexually harassed too.

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2013

Unfortunately, it seems like I'm more likely to to be around 2050 R32. :(

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

India won't be feeding anyone under conditions of global warming. Bengal will be underwater.

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

I do enjoy visiting India but at times it seems like an afternoon in Tijuana would do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 3606/21/2013

The Ganges is just about to flood the holy places at Benares.

by Anonymousreply 3706/21/2013

youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0b2LGf9jM

Yes. Just wait till 2030, when Indians will have all you crackers toiling for rupees (skip to 1:00 if you're not interested in the opening.

by Anonymousreply 3806/21/2013

Well for that to happen R38, hundreds of millions of Indian beggars would have to have died.

by Anonymousreply 3906/21/2013

India's fast trains.

by Anonymousreply 4006/21/2013

India is on track to having the largest English speaking population in the world.

Also due to differences in cost of living an American corporation can pay significantly less for skilled employees.

Think of all those people living in the suburbs surrounding major cities in the US - middle and upper management running America's corporations.

Now imagine how much less you have to pay someone to have the same lifestyle in India.

Where do you think the jobs will end up?

by Anonymousreply 4106/21/2013

Actually neither India nor China have as many English speakers as is often alleged on datalounge. Less than a quarter million speak English as a first language in India, and while they claim they have taught 125 million to speak it in school, we all know that Americans have had foreign languages in school without 5% of non-immigrants being able to speak any. For the record Pakistan makes a similarly absurd claim to 89 million English speakers. Nigeria and the Philippines a claim to have more English speakers than England, and that's absurd too. There are many countries where most people do speak some English as a matter of routine but India, Pakistan, Nigeria, and the Philippines are not among them.

by Anonymousreply 4206/21/2013

You're dreaming r41. Most of those so-called English speakers speak some pidgin hinglish, not proper English, as anyone who's had the misfortune of getting an Indian call center knows.

And anyone who has outsourced office workers will tell you the Indian replacements are practically useless. Their credentials are bogus.

by Anonymousreply 4306/21/2013

India.

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013

There are definitely some trolls here trying to make India happen. Sorry but I prefer that my overlords not bathe in water contaminated by dead human and bovine carcasses.

by Anonymousreply 4506/21/2013

Yes, the world craves being led by caftan wearing bobble heads.

by Anonymousreply 4606/21/2013

So in one and a half years, India will overtake the U.S.? Dream on.

I do agree the U.S. is on its way down; has been for a while. It would take a long discussion to properly address this situation.

But for India to become a superpower like the U.S.; one would have to put the blinders on. We may not be the most civilized, but we don't treat most women like the Indians do.

Brazil is the country that's rapidly becoming a superpower; and that's at the cost of the Amazon rainforests.

by Anonymousreply 4706/21/2013

No long discussion. It's easy. The Old Left was right and America will "come back" when it adopts the old ways and taxes the rich and sacrifices the False Gods of Trade and Corporate Power.

by Anonymousreply 4806/21/2013

Futuristic kalkota trams

by Anonymousreply 4906/21/2013

The falling fresh water levels will hurt India more than any other country. Expect massive starvation and wars to break out before 2050.

by Anonymousreply 5006/23/2013

Brazil is having its own "Arab Spring" thing now with all these protests, albeit over economic matters. I wonder how their image as a "fun superpower" will be sustained if the protests continue over to the World Cup and Olympics?

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2013

No, India will never surpass the USA, nor will China.

India is a land of incompetents and cheats and thieves. Ditto China. Both countries also have strict social rules about conformity. Original thinkers are ostracized.

And besides, when Peak Oil hits, their populations will be wiped out as there won't be any food left (modern agriculture is totally dependent on oil). Both countries will be gone in a few decades.

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013

Religion has screwed over India from ever becoming a true world power.

by Anonymousreply 5306/23/2013

If the contest is who will be the Dysentery capital of the world, then yes.

by Anonymousreply 5406/23/2013

India doesn't even have a chance of passing the USA in the number of crazy religious nuts per capita (which is a terrifying truth).

by Anonymousreply 5506/23/2013

Not even if a huge meteor crashed in the middle of the US and wiped everything out could India surpass it.

by Anonymousreply 5606/23/2013

England understood the true India.

by Anonymousreply 5706/23/2013

You have clearly never been to India, R55 dear. Militant Hindus everywhere and gurus, swamis, charlatans and fakirs of every stripe.

by Anonymousreply 5806/23/2013

India has already passed the USA in the number of call center employees.

by Anonymousreply 5906/23/2013

India's English speaking abilities are greatly exaggerated. I was just there recently and really it is pretty hard to find an Indian who can string together a three word sentence in English.

by Anonymousreply 6006/24/2013

Wow so many racist ignorami on this thread.

But I see there are several "repeat" posters.

by Anonymousreply 6106/24/2013

R61, please feel free to correct anyone's misinformation.

FYI, calling posters "racist ignorami" is not an argument.

by Anonymousreply 6206/24/2013

A serious effort to put a positive spin on a homophobic shithole.

by Anonymousreply 6306/30/2013

Our CIA will hit their government and banks was a bunch of cluster bombs before we would allow that to happen.

Of course we will say Islamic terrorist did it.

by Anonymousreply 6406/30/2013

R52 is a complete idiot and a racist.

What is the matter with this fool? Does he not realize that he lives in probably the most corrupt country in the world? The GOOD OLD USA!

by Anonymousreply 6506/30/2013

OK yes I will be delightful to adapt you with superior customer service and an aura of excellence. Please to give me your account number very much?

by Anonymousreply 6606/30/2013

The problem of India is labor.

by Anonymousreply 6706/30/2013

Saying Indians buy more newspapers than anyone else only means they don't have access to the internet to read the news like the rest of the world does. Paper publishing is dying elsewhere.

India will never surpass anyone while they think that people are disposable.

The civilised world is just as horrified by the Indian attitude to terrible events as it is by the events themselves. Every nation has it's share of violent crazies but India covers up for them and their justice system protects them.

When Indian attitudes change maybe they might have a chance to become part of the global superpower club but not until they start educating the populace to not kill women and children, shit in the street or demand a bribe to do their job. Maybe having electricity and sewage throughout the whole country would be a good start.

by Anonymousreply 6807/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 6905/11/2014

India is more a subcontinent than a nation as we understand. It is more like Europe. It might be better to give more power to its constituent states. Otherwise the problems are too big to tackle at the national level with its level if diversity.

Also, having worked in India, the problem that I find holds it back and holds back others from working there, are it's organization and management systems. Like chronic lateness and larger time and communication management issues. Everyone is out to circumvent any law and order. Traffic and driving for instance. Without more order it will never be efficient.

by Anonymousreply 7005/11/2014

Are you kidding OP, India is a third world country full of dirty, smelly people with no indoor plumbing.

by Anonymousreply 7105/11/2014

Oh my sides!!!

Funniest thread in ages. And I don't doubt that among the millions of deluded, arrogant, lazy and entitled Indians this notion will catch on!

And like magic the stink of shit will pass from the streets, life expectancy will leap above 65 years, hideously primitive blood feuds will disappear, de facto slavery will disappear, reliable electricity will appear, air will be clean, stores will be full of food for everyone, and China will not be poised with two fingers ready to flick the country two steps back to the Stone Age.

AND the Great Diaspora of educated Indians will cease, removing them from their chance to continue ruining the quality of educational institutions, research facilities and medical institutions with the above mentioned arrogance, laziness and entitlement that ruins everything they touch.

by Anonymousreply 7205/11/2014

You have to be kidding, OP. The way these hisspianich illegals multiply once in the US, The US will surpass India in population by the turn of the century. That's just 86 years away and too little time for India to kill off its poor and illiterate. By 2100 there will be no US, we will have already voted to become part of Mexico again.

by Anonymousreply 7305/11/2014

It may very well happen, but not that quickly.

by Anonymousreply 7405/11/2014

No and neither will China. Too many people and not enough resources. Both have massive corruption and internal problems that are beyond the ability of their (corrupt) governments to solve.

by Anonymousreply 7505/11/2014

I agree with [R-71] They won't be a superpower until they install and learn how to use flush toilets.

by Anonymousreply 7605/12/2014

[quote] that by 2015, India would be the number one superpower surpassing United States.

That's next year.

India, you in trouble girl! Get cracking now at warp speed if you want to rule the world.

by Anonymousreply 7705/12/2014

I don't believe the average Indian lives to 66. I don't think they count the bodies of the poor.

by Anonymousreply 7805/12/2014

One day sure. But not in our lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 7905/12/2014

Like it or not, The U.S will continue to be the dominant superpower for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 8005/12/2014

That I don't believe R80. In fact, I think our political system is on the verge of collapse.

by Anonymousreply 8105/12/2014

[R81] I wouldn't go that far. We still have time to fix it, but not a lot.

by Anonymousreply 8205/12/2014

[quote]I think our political system is on the verge of collapse.

it is officially sclerotic

that doesn't mean that it will collapse. the Venetian Doge ruled Venice for centuries past Venice's apogee.

by Anonymousreply 8405/12/2014

R83, no, I'd say, "hello, first world hispanic country!"

by Anonymousreply 8505/12/2014

Is there anything that can be done to stop that, R83? It seems like a problem.

by Anonymousreply 8605/12/2014

R9 is incorrect. "Less than half..." is correct in this situation and is an exception to the rule.

To help you understand this exception more clearly, one would not say "fewer than half the ocean ...(is salty)".

by Anonymousreply 8705/12/2014

I'm really glad that people are continuing to rip R9 a new butthole.

by Anonymousreply 8805/12/2014

Yes, "less" refers to "half" rather than "children."

by Anonymousreply 8905/12/2014

[quote]Think of all those people living in the suburbs surrounding major cities in the US - middle and upper management running America's corporations. Now imagine how much less you have to pay someone to have the same lifestyle in India. Where do you think the jobs will end up?

No one has to "imagine" US corporations outsourcing jobs to India. It's been happening for decades. And now the tide is turning back for many of the reasons R72 so eloquently stated. Major US corporations have begun to realize what a colossal failure it has been. Many are pulling out. They might not be bringing the jobs back home (South America is the hot spot now), but they can't ditch India fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 9005/12/2014

America should compete with Europe, not 3rd world crapholes like India, China, and Russia.

by Anonymousreply 9105/12/2014

There are so many of them and relatively few of us.

by Anonymousreply 9205/12/2014

Maybe! People saying bad things to India Dont have eyes to look at India's beautiful side, India is changing, much faster than India haters can imagine

by Anonymousreply 9304/26/2015

In the number of murderous religious fanatics? Nah.

by Anonymousreply 9404/26/2015
Need more help? Click Here.