Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

(Non-smoking) vegans age well.

They really do. I look around at older vegans, their fit bodies and perfectly tone skin, an see them as the best inspiration for giving up meat.

And any time in my life when I've given up meat and dairy for more than a month my skin cleared up and I just looked healthier. No more bloat or blotchy marks.

Isn't this the real secret to aging well— going vegan?

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

You don't need to go strictly vegan, but eat a diet that is heavy in vegetables/legumes/nuts like most vegans do and you too will age well.

It is all about healthy eating/living, not some secret rule.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

R1, Are you sure it's because most vegans exercise regularly, spend more time in the fresh air than in bars drinking and smoking, and have a generally healthier lifestyle?

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

Really? Vegans to me age horribly. They seem wrinkled at 30. Sure some are skinny but there's a ton of fat vegan women straight and gay in SF.

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

You need fats and oils, which don't make YOU fat, if you cut out sugar and wheat. Try it and see

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

I tend to think that a diet that includes a limited amount of red meat is better for you.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

Op is well on his way to becoming a Jain monk.

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

Most of the vegans I know are fat, and none of them look healthy.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

R5, People naturally have different nutritional needs and sensitivities. A little red meat does provide truly needed B-vitamins that is not always common in the vegan diet. Some Japanese are said to live the longest, with the fewest health problems. I wonder if it's because of their diet, lifestyle or lucky good genes.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

Learn what James Gandolfini ate..and do the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

Have you seen Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

I agree with R3 (no offense to the vegans here). But the vegans I've seen have terribly pale thin-like skin. It's more creased or something. OR I've seen the opposite - very overweight vegans who look like they are ready to pop.

I have nothing against vegans, but just because you give up meat and dairy products does not make you healthy. There are so many over processed foods and JUNK foods that seem to be an acceptable meat and dairy replacement for vegans, and they eat them. Junk food and processed food makes one unhealthy vegan.

Not all vegans eat healthy.

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

There are vegans who eat nothing but potato chips and Diet Coke who are very unhealthy. There are vegans who eat sensibly and healthy and who are in great shape. Being vegan itself isn't the answer to aging well. Being a smart vegan is: they all do age incredibly well.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

Yeah, younger vegans tend to look "wrinkly" but then then the aging plateaus. After 40— which is when most people's body and skin take a nose dive— they don't age as much.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

ok. I didn't feel the need to state the obvious but I guess I should have,

Obviously anyone who is unhealthy as a rule is not going to age well. Smokers, druggies, and junk/processed food addicts do not apply.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

Not if they're vegan from birth. My hippy-dippy family has tons of vegan friends and will entertain huge groups of them and you can always spot the vegan children. They're always way smaller than the other children, usually pale and often with dark circles under their eyes. They just look malnourished. And that's not just my opinion...many of the vegetarians have made this observation too; so much so thats its become an inside joke.

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

I'm a fat vegetarian (50 lbs overweight, BMI 28) who is consistently mistaken for 25 (I'm 38). I've been veggie for over 20 years.

I eat too much dairy and pasta (which is why I am heavy, in addition to genetics), but hit the gym 3 times a week for cardio.

The secrets to why I look better than I should: lots of veggies. A good multivitamin. Lots of water and unsweetened homebrewed tea (avoid soda as much as possible). No smoking. No drugs. As little sugar as possible. As little processed food as possible. 8+ hours of sleep a night.

I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds, but my insides are remarkably healthy, and my doctor doesn't even nag me about the weight anymore because of how robust I am.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

R16. That sounds like prison sentence.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

The secret is a high PH diet. Drinking fucking Diet Coke, drinking MILK and consuming the assorted preservatives, poisons, pus and poo in meat, as well as the white starches in many processed vegetarian foods is a no-go. It takes eating more often, but yes, you can look great. The tools are weightlifting, whey protein and water.

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

R18, What does a high PH diet have to do with it? I'm not familiar with PH at all.

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

r16 is female who thinks she looks younger but is 250 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

Well, R19, it's about acidity (found in sugar, white bread, booze, anything "bad") vs alkaline foods (green foods, raw foods, almonds, other foods). High acid foods calcify and age the body, leading to cancer. A high PH, high alkaline diet detoxifies the system (which can be wild - emotional purging, feeling sexy for the first time in years, effortless, gradual weight loss - IF you stick to it) and cleans down to the cellular level. Restaurants and barbecues, all that, fades away, but the way the body responds - joint pain gone, thinking faster, a "lighter" feeling emotionally - can't be denied. Those that do deny haven't done it. I still have beer and burritos on special occasions, because after a high-alkaline diet for a few months, the body just purges it out and you snap back. I'm not into cooking anyway, so it's perfect for me. Look into it if you have chronic health problems. Even if you don't.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

Can someone please link an old vegan who looks good for their age please? My experience is the opposite. The vegans (and stricter vegetarians) I've met all look sick and horribly malnourished... Poo to living a deprived life like that. Humans are supposed to eat meat.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

[bold] LADIES? [/bold]

[italic] ENOUGH! [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

Humans are not supposed to eat animals, R22. Not unless you eat it raw after you've run up beside it and pulled it to the ground with your teeth. When was the last time you saw a cheetah using a hibachi?

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!