Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Congressman Says Gays Should Hide Their Orientation At Work

WASHINGTON, DC — Following a speech at an anti-IRS Tea Party rally in front of the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) seemed to blame gay and lesbian people for the discrimination they face in the workplace.

Asked about the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), a measure to prevent private employers from discriminating against employees on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, Gohmert claimed he hadn’t heard of the bill, but noted that employees shouldn’t discuss their sexual orientation in the workplace:

THINKPROGRESS: Where do you stand on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act?

GOHMERT: I’m not aware of exactly which one you’re talking about

THINKPROGRESS: It would protect LGBT workers from being fired due to their sexual orientation.

GOHMERT: Who wants to go talking about sexual orientation when they’re working? Good grief.

ENDA is similar to existing provisions in the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibiting employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin. Workplace discrimination is a major problem for LGBT individuals. Nearly 40 percent of openly lesbian, gay, or bisexual employees and 90 percent of transgender workers report feeling discrimination in employment.

ENDA picked up support Wednesday morning from its 51st co-sponsor, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV). Forty-nine senate Democrats are joined by Sens. Mark Kirk (R-IL) and Susan Collins (R-ME) as co-sponsors. Several top Republicans have expressed opposition to the bill last week, including Sens. Marco Rubio (FL) and Ron Johnson (WI).

A Congressional committee is expected to markup on ENDA after the July 4th recess.

by Anonymousreply 4006/20/2013

If employees are to hide their orientation at work, then the employer should be required to provide the closets for the employees to hide their orientation.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

If everyone goes in the closet about their sexual orientation and stop dragging their gf of the week to the office happy hour, or trying to peddle their kids fundraiser shit, and put away every framed picture, I'm up for it.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

Don't Ask Don't Tell worked so well in the military, this asshole thinks it should be the rule in any corporation.

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

Louie Gohmert is the "Fredo" of Congress. Just an absolutely dumb fuck, and his district should be immediately sterilized because they're too stupid to reproduce, let alone vote.

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

Tea Party/NRA types, always hated gays and non-white minorities. Basically they are the old KKK.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

And please don't bring up your religion or faith or whatever it is that you believe in that cannot be proven...

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

Tell him to take off his wedding ring and any mention of his family on his Congressional website.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

There are so many idiots among the GOP House members it's scary.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

It's too bad he can't hide his stupidity at work.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

How do these ignorant fuks get elected, one wonders...

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

It so infuriating to see straight people always make this argument.

Every time straight guys talk about their wife/girlfriend or have a picture on their desk they are disclosing their sexual orientation.

It is so frustrating they don't understand this. It really is just completely ignorance of not being able to see outside of your own shoes.

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

[quote]How do these ignorant fuks get elected, one wonders...

By other ignorant fucks. They have redistricted so that Republicans have the maximum number of districts with a majority of ignorant fucks.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

I came to the conclusion long ago that the Northeastern US and the Pacific Coast are the only civilized parts of the country. Everywhere else is basically the 19th century.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

Louie Gohmert is so fucking ugly, Virginia Foxx wouldn't fuck him. And that's ugly on top of ugly, ugly times ugly, ugly to the n-th power.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

They understand it r11, they pretend they don't because they're amoral, bigoted pigs.

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

I think they don't understand it. They think being gay is just sexual activity like the freaky shit they are into but don't talk about.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

Exactly R16. To a lot of these types being gay is about sex about buttfucking basically. That is all they see it as.

They look at gays as sexual deviants who should keep it private and away from kids.

They don't see you as a person who just happens to be gay just like they happen to be straight.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

[quote]GOHMERT: Who wants to go talking about sexual orientation when they’re working? Good grief.

Heterosexuals. Damn near constantly. "My wife, my kids, my crushes, my girlfriend, my conquests, that's so gay, by the way I am not gay at all, isn't it funny when I pretend to be gay as a joke?"

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

Fine r16, some legitimately don't see the parallel with their own lives. I had a lot of experience with that attitude coming out at jobs in the 90s. Many straights *are* lying that the don't see how they are "openly straight" at work, especially when it's pointed out to them and they still refuse to concede the point. They're just bigots and couldn't care less about what's fair.

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

I kind of agree, weirdly. I sat in a meeting and watched my boss go through a list of employees and pick the "fag" to lay off, just because he was gay. My boss was a typical guy's guy.

I said nothing because, this "fag" was a guy who tried to get me fired, in an attempt to cover up his own incompetence! I hated him. I laughed when he shuffled out the door.

I learned a lot at that moment, though. It's irrelevant if you're gay or straight when you come to work and do your job. You're there to work, not socialize. So, leave your social life at home. Let's get real, wearing his sexuality "proudly" became a bullseye. (Fyi- I never heard one "straight" guy talk about his personal life in that office, so there was no double standard.)

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

That's a bullshit lie R20 and you're an evil liar.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

If personal life doesn't matter at work, they shouldn't have dependent medical care, where gays are clearly discriminated against. Nor should they have family leave.

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

[quote]Fyi- I never heard one "straight" guy talk about his personal life in that office

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

R20 is definitely full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

[quote] (Fyi- I never heard one "straight" guy talk about his personal life in that office, so there was no double standard.)

Maybe they never "talked" about it, but I'll bet they kept pics of their wives, kids or girlfriends somewhere in their cubes.

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

Of course they talked about their personal lives. Just not with you, R20. Because they knew.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

[r22] [r25] I kid you not. Totally true.

It doesn't mean I wasn't shocked when it happened. But my point of the story was the last paragraph. Face it, bias and bigotry exists in this world. My boss was biased against "fags".

It made me think about the corporate world at large and how people maneuver through it, when they have douchey bosses that are uber straight and foster that "good ole boy" environment.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

I don't think anyone has a hard time believeing there are assholes who discriminate against gay people. What they were saying was they had a hard time with you trying to defend the straight guys by claiming they never mentioned anything personal. How did you even know they were straight then?

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2013

R20 was not attacked by another "gay" who wanted him fired. He was discriminated against by an asshole and he couldn't say anything because nobody officially knew he was gay. But they sure knew how to play the gays off against each other.

by Anonymousreply 3006/20/2013

And fyi [r25]- Straight guys don't talk about their relationships! They talk about sports, buying new homes, cars, making their deadlines, sports, investments, golf, SPORTS, and physical feats of strength they've accomplished!

Oh and SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit your job at the mall, get a real job, and you'll discover this!

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2013

They talk about their kids.

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2013

R31 and R32, you must work with primarily married male coworkers. The young straight guys talk about sex all the time. And, yes, I think to some degree they do it to *exclude* women and gay men.

by Anonymousreply 3306/20/2013

It is interesting how straight guys at work rarely talk about their wives or girlfriends and when they do it's only in passing.

by Anonymousreply 3406/20/2013

Louie Gohmert says a lot of stupid things. The sad thing is that he, like Bobby Jindal, are very intelligent men on paper. Gohmert was a Chief Justice in TX. Now he just spends his time with crazy talk.

by Anonymousreply 3506/20/2013

[quote]are very intelligent men on paper. Gohmert was a Chief Justice in TX.

Being a judge in TX is the equivalent of walking around Times Square wearing a sandwich board reading "We Buy Gold." TX has tons of dumbass judges.

Being hick trash with hatred for anyone different is the only requirement down there.

by Anonymousreply 3606/20/2013

Slightly OT, but the thread title reminded me of hearing that the Beatles wrote their hit "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" with their gay manager in mind. So take it from the Beatles a half century ago, be out and proud.

by Anonymousreply 3706/20/2013

Isn't simply wearing a wedding ring at work announcing your orientation in most places?

by Anonymousreply 3806/20/2013

[r38] No. It advertises that you're off the market.

I don't know why SOME gay men wear their wedding bands on the wrong hand. Married is married. Period. You're not available if there is a ring on your left ring finger, regardless of your orientation!!!! why complicate things and confuse the world at large by "switching it to the right hand"???

Makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 3906/20/2013

Job discrimination is still out there. Studies reveal that job interviewers decide within seconds whether they'll hire a candidate...if the candidate is "like" the interviewer, a hire is likely made.

by Anonymousreply 4006/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!