Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Your favorite tv shows that had untimely endings

I actually liked Alphas.

I know it had a lot of flaws but David Strathairn was great and poorly used asset. I always felt like it could have been something more if someone had invested in it. And the finale cliff hanger was just cruel.

What are your favorites that got the cut?

by Anonymousreply 4906/20/2013

My updated list:

Frank's Place

Bakersfield, PD

My So-Called Life

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

Law and Order Los Angeles!

Corey Stoll had a nice fat tushy in that!

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

Pushing Daisies

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

A Year in the Life

Nothing Sacred

The Book of Daniel

Pushing Daisies

Andy Richter Controls the Universe

Better Off Ted

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

I'll Fly Away

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

Pushing Daisies

We Interrupt this Week

That Was the Week That Was

The Rogues

The Days and Nights of Mollie Dodd

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

I [italic]loved [/italic]A Year in the Life, R4. The episode with Wendy Phillips' birthday was my favorite birthday episode of any show ever. I had just gotten a TV when I saw it, so I didn't know how long the show had been on the air. And then poof, it was history.

I liked every Brand-Falsey show except Northern Exposure. Naturally, it's the one that was on for five or six seasons.

I wish I could get AYITL and I'll Fly Away on DVD, but they have never existed.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

Green Lantern (animated series)

Young Justice (animated series)

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

The Borgias. Stupid Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

WKRP in Cincinnati

Better Off Ted

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

The Comeback

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

Spartacus. Stupid Starz.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

Square Pegs

I would say Popular but it got really lame in its second season. They traded in good laughs for "heartwarming" bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

All is Forgiven - 80s sitcom with Bess Armstrong as a soap producer

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

The Colbys

Happy Endings

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

I am sure nobody here has hear of it, but I would add the British TV show Mulberry. The premise of the show was that the son of Death and Spring was to take a bitter old woman to her death, instead he stays and teaches her how to live life. It was planned as a three year series, but there were corporate changes and it was ended ofter series (season) two.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

SOAP!!! I loved that show!

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

New Amsterdam

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

It is obvious but it has to be said: Firefly.

Such a great series ended early.

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

Wait, back up, OP: Alphas was cancelled?!

[Waited to find a link before hitting 'save post']

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

Happy Endings

Pushing Daisies

Better Off Ted

There are a few others I wish would have had a few more seasons, but these were bumped off so early it's an injustice.

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

ACTION starring Jay Mohr as a corrupt Hollywood producer was a great shot-lived show. When it was canceled they killed him off with a heart attack which he supposedly had in response to a botched take of a massively expensive shot in the film he was producing.

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

Arrested Development

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

Happy Endings

Arrested Development

Better Off Ted

Pushing Daisies

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

Firefly sucked.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

CBS' cancellation of "Frank's Place" years ago is in the Stupidity Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2013

[quote]Firefly sucked.

Fox aired the episodes out of order, so the show didn't make much sense. Once they're seen in the intended order on the DVD, they're clearly great.

Does anyone remember 'John Doe' from 2002/03, starring Dominic Purcell? It was a fairly entertaining sci-fi show on Fox that was cancelled with an unresolved cliffhanger, and it's never stopped gnawing at me. I want to know what happened!

by Anonymousreply 3006/20/2013

Dead Like Me (hadn't seen this one yet)

My So Called Life

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2013

R30, Why on earth would Fox air the episodes out of order?

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2013

Eerie, Indiana

by Anonymousreply 3306/20/2013

Who knows? But they did!

by Anonymousreply 3406/20/2013

[quote]Fox aired the episodes out of order, so the show didn't make much sense. Once they're seen in the intended order on the DVD, they're clearly great.

I never watched it on FOX. I bought the DVDs due to extremely good word of mouth and it still sucked. The Serenity movie was even worse. Both were huge failures yet they keep threatening to bring it back.

I even watched a special on Firefly a few weeks back. It was a roundtable with the actors. At one point they described a scene where the hooker girl was to be raped and abused by the Reavers(?) but she had injected something into her body that ended up killing them all. Then the Captain was to find her, naked and scared, surrounded by all the dead and then take her hand "just like he would a lady."

The cast was so drunk off of their own self-importance that the actually had to stop for a minute to compose themselves.

It was beyond ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3506/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 3606/20/2013

Sad about Alphas being cancelled, although not really surprising. The first season was great, but the second season quickly turned to shit. Still, I enjoyed its "X-Men with real world problems" approach.

by Anonymousreply 3706/20/2013

I agree with R36. "Enlightened" was such emotionally rich genius. (A show that should have stopped after one season? "Revenge".)

by Anonymousreply 3806/20/2013

Agree with OP about ALPHAS. The first season was mediocre, but began to improve in the last few episodes.

The second season had a surer footing, but clearly many fans were not keen on the single plot line and stopped watching.

I watched the show primarily for Strathairn, who did as much as he could with the part. His character became more interesting late in Season 2 as his obsession with the clief villain made him behave in ways he wouldn't.

I think the series would have continued to improve had it had the opportunity, but the creators took too long to figure out what kind of show they wanted to do.

I also wonder if having an older man as the central character was an issue, since SyFy Channel watchers probably skew fairly young.

by Anonymousreply 3906/20/2013

Ringer. I wish they would have at least wrapped it up, but I think it got canceled after the season finale had been filmed.

by Anonymousreply 4006/20/2013

The United States of Tara.

by Anonymousreply 4106/20/2013

Southland My So-Called Life Freaks and Geeks Enlightened The Comeback (at least one more season would have been perfect)

by Anonymousreply 4206/20/2013

Second vote for The Comeback. Brilliant show.

by Anonymousreply 4306/20/2013

Joan Of Arcadia, Invasion and Jericho

by Anonymousreply 4406/20/2013

r37 and r39 have good points about Alphas. This show had an interesting arc about mental illnesses. They could have exploited lots of issues around that as well as other real-world problems that any minority body faces- but they wimped out.

I too had wondered about the older man issue, but I blame Hollywood's lack of investment for good writing. This show should have been more mature all around. There are plenty of shows that center on older characters and do just fine.

The only thing that bothered me about his character at first was his awkward feebleness, but then they admitted that he had a darker manipulative side and it got a little more interesting. But Alphas couldn't decide what they wanted the show to be— if it had been a bit more gritty and more nuanced it might have sailed. The last few episodes should have been more like 'breaking bad' meets Xmen - but it withered out.

by Anonymousreply 4506/20/2013

I think if a show got at least three seasons it's had a fair run even if you wanted more.

by Anonymousreply 4606/20/2013

Police Squad!, the show that inspired the Naked Gun movies. It only lasted about seven episodes. ABC basically said viewers were too slow to catch the rapid-fire jokes in each episode.

The Wonder Years - they never even covered Kevin's senior year in high school. I thought that was the point--watching the kid grow up. Adult Kevin's monologue at the end of the final episode--where we find out what happens to the main characters--is very moving, but feels tacked on.

by Anonymousreply 4706/20/2013

[quote]I think if a show got at least three seasons it's had a fair run even if you wanted more.

I kinda agree with this. A show that ran for multiple seasons was clearly given a fair shot and their writers were given time to tell a real story.

It shows that were cancelled in their first season that actually got a short end of the stick.

by Anonymousreply 4806/20/2013

Bare Eesence

by Anonymousreply 4906/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!