Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

“Ex-Gay” Group Exodus Realizes It’s Wrong, Apologizes, Shuts Down

After attempting to brainwash gay people into renouncing their sexual orientation for 37 years, the “ex-gay ministry” Exodus International has seen the light and is turning it off.

GLAAD‘s Ross Murray, the group’s director of news and faith initiatives, alerted Queerty to the decision by Exodus president Alan Chambers. A statement posted on the Exodus website revealed that its board of directors had begun to find “‘ex-gay’ work more and more difficult, given their anti-gay words and actions.” Today Chambers posted an apology on the site “for the harm that he had caused LGBT people and their families in his quest to make them match an anti-gay view of God.”

Chambers adds: I am sorry for the pain and hurt that many of you have experienced. I am sorry some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents.

I am sorry I didn’t stand up to people publicly ‘on my side’ who called you names like sodomite—or worse. I am sorry that I, knowing some of you so well, failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him, I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine.

Marcus Bachmann, you’ve been served.

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013

I think he's tremendous!

Wait, no I don't, I hate fags.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

US: Head of gay ‘cure’ ministry says sorry for causing ‘pain and hurt’

by Scott Roberts, 20 June 2013, 1:44pm

A US faith-based organisation notorious for its gay conversion therapy crusade has apologised to the LGBT community for the “pain and hurt” it has caused.

Exodus International calls itself “the oldest and largest Christian ministry dealing with faith and homosexuality” – but it is now shutting down after 37 years.

In a statement Alan Chambers, president of Exodus said: “It is strange to be someone who has both been hurt by the church’s treatment of the LGBT community, and also to be someone who must apologise for being part of the very system of ignorance that perpetuated that hurt.

“Today it is as if I’ve just woken up to a greater sense of how painful it is to be a sinner in the hands of an angry church.

“Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change.”

Mr Chambers added. “I am profoundly sorry that many have walked away from their faith and that some have chosen to end their lives. For the rest of my life I will proclaim nothing but the whole truth of the Gospel, one of grace, mercy and open invitation to all to enter into an inseverable relationship with almighty God.”

The 41-year-old admitted that he was still attracted to men and acknowledged his organisation had caused others to suffer because of their own same-sex attractions.

Mr Chambers also said he was deeply sorry that the stigmatisation of LGBT people sometimes led to suicide.

However, he refused to apologise for his “deeply held biblical beliefs” about sexuality and marriage.

Mr Chambers gained international attention in 2011 after being interviewed by Lisa Ling of the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) as part of a special programme on so-called “pray away the gay” therapies. At the time, he said the therapy allowed LGBT individuals to live a life in accordance with their Christian faith.

But last June he said homosexuality cannot be “cured” and that people can be damaged by therapy designed to turn them heterosexual.

He now plans to read his lengthy apology in a new OWN programme, which airs on Thursday evening.

On Wednesday, it was reported that several UK MPs had signed an Early Day Motion against gay conversion therapy to ensure that “NHS medical professionals cannot inflict this cruel treatment on their patients”.

The discredited medical practice has been described as “harmful” by the UK Government – although some therapists still seek to provide the treatment – through referrals by GPs.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

The horrible homosexual "lifestyle" they hoped to cure was a bogeyman they created.

They all resigned and probably are going to get married and adopt.

As much as I want them all to die in grease fires, I wish them well.

Now if they could undo all the harm that their bogus "therapy" has done...

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

Was this the ex-gay group on Dr. Oz? (that Oz ambushed some gay guests with). If so, they need to go back on the show and apologize. Fucktard Oz defended whichever "ex-gay" group he had on.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

sorry to be so cynical, but do you think he was about to be outed or something?

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

?

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

They, of course, are not shutting down. Read his full apology.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

Much too little, much too late. The damage is done and it's lasting especially for those who may have ended their lives because of Exodus' bullshit. Besides the apologist is still spewing crap.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

bump for the search-impaired

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

GLAAD is throwing a "Straight Allies" black tie gala in their honor!

Tickets start at $350.00.

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

R8 They are indeed shutting down Exodus.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

Whether he was being blackmailed as a "current" rather than "ex" gay, or whether this was a genuine change of heart, I guess "it's all good."

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

I don't think "it's all good." I mean, it's a decent apology, but it doesn't really do anything to rectify the psychological torture they put people (and children, I'm assuming) through.

A far better idea would be to set up a victim compensation fund.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

Yes, R8, they are:

[quote] For these reasons, the Board of Directors unanimously voted to close Exodus International and begin a separate ministry. “This is a new season of ministry, to a new generation,” said Chambers. “Our goals are to reduce fear (reducefear.org), and come alongside churches to become safe, welcoming, and mutually transforming communities.”

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

Great, now I have to find out where OWN is on the cable lineup.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

This is all just a new PR strategy.

Don't be fooled by it........

1. They still consider homosexuality a sin.

2. Exodus Global still exists and promotes a cure for homosexuality, having offices still running in Ajax, ON Canada among other places.

Hate is just becoming more tricky. Exodus Global is still in operation.

Oprah will be covering up for them tomorrow on OWN, just like she covers for Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

How vile, R3. I've heard that Ken Mehlman is frequently verbally attacked whenever he's around other gay men - he deserves all of it and more.

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

Oprah would interview Richard Nixon on her show if he was still alive and agreed to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

I was wrong - they are indeed closing. Really quite astonishing news. I gotta give them some respect.

Now, of course, if it's a subterfuge, there will be blood.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

He can take that apology and shove it up his wife's cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

It's true, the damage is done, but at the same time, they have stopped doing it and even renounced it, which is quite a step for a group that had been one of our greatest foes.

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

[quote]Clearly Chambers has been going through a slow evolution about all this...

...while socking away millions of dollars in tax-free donations which are all safely stashed in offshore bank accounts.

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

Yeah, sounds like he'd socked away enough money, and wasn't interested in being in the cross-hairs of this heated cultural war anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

This is proof it was a GOP front organization.

The GOP has to dump its anti-gay fronts because all the Republucan queers want to get married and get benefits like everyone else. So they'll be closing down more of these types of organizations.

I'm sure they'll find other ways to spend the money. Like opening investigations into TWA Flight 800 while keeping 9/11 all buttoned up.

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

Hell, R19, I'd interview Nixon if he were alive, whether an apology was on offer or not.

This does not in any way detract from Oprah's insufferable cuntiness.

As for Ex-Exodus? Good. No, it's not perfect. Yes they are still fucked up fundies who live in fear and bear watching. Still, the unraveling and ultimate extinction of this organization is another nail in the coffin of anti-gay bigotry.

Forward.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

The woman in the link (kissing her gay son who is hooked up to life support) spoke at the Exodus conference in Irvine, CA today.

Read her story at the link. The story's been making the internet rounds for the last few weeks. I'd love to know what you think, as I know the woman and her family.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

"Brentwood native Randy Thomas said Exodus, the world’s oldest and largest ministry aimed at helping gay Christians, still believes homosexuality is sinful, but no worse than any other sin."

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2013

Heartbreaking story, R28.

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2013

OMG! Robertsons (people at E28's link) delivering their story at the Exodus Conference.

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2013

[quote]close Exodus International and begin a separate ministry

This is what flim-flam rackets always do ... just reconstitute under a new name.

It can be useful legally.

"Oh, no, we're not responsible for that. That was Exodus. We're a NEW and DIFFERENT group."

It's sort of a moral Chapter 11 reorg.

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2013

At least Exodus didn't charge $18.

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

It seemed a heartfelt apology, particularly in relation to the harm they caused many, and the new organisation they're establishing seeks to welcome gay people of faith. He's even stated he'd attend and celebrate the weddings of his gay friends and loved ones. I loathe Exodus and the 'ex-gay' movement but this development seems to have come from a place of genuine remorse and reformation. I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

Wanna buy a bridge, R35?

by Anonymousreply 3606/21/2013

Heh! This is getting a huge amount of attention on NPR. The Fundies must be having hissy fits that one of their favorite groups has admitted the error of their ways.

by Anonymousreply 3706/21/2013

A comment from Freeperland. Oh dears galore:

"[[Homosexuals that simply live their lives quietly and respectfully have seldom had problems. Most of the problems arise from bad behavior or overt sexual impropriety.]]

VERY few live quiet unremarkable lives- most gay peopel are predators- most gay peopel have multiple victims/partners- many gay peopel are what htey call chicken hawks- older men or women who go about preyign on young children- many gay peopel cruise organizations like adoption agencies and foster organizations for their victims- A stunning 80% of gay peopel surveyed admitted to pedophilia more than once i ntheir life-

[[As for ‘Reparative’ therapy it is essentially no more harmful than drug rehab. No scientific study has shown otherwise and simple analysis of the techniques used do not indicate any implicit harm.]]

The damage that Alan did was to legitimize the gay agenda’s lie that peopel are born gay and will suffer irreprable damage if they betray their gayness- Now every time a Christian organization tries to help a gay person, they will be assailed by the gay agenda who will be wastchign them liek a chicken hawk waitign for Chritians to ‘try pushign hteir hatred on gay people’- They are now goign to be very much liek hte ACLU- cosntantly watchign and waiting for a ‘violation to hte rights of gasy people’ fortryign to help them overcome their sexual deviency.

Everytiem an organization tries to help a gay person overcoem hteir unnatural lusts, the gay agenda will spit fire and scream and point to Alan’s actions in order to falslely ligitimize their case-

[[What Alan seems oblivious to is the actions of the militant homosexual activists and their attempts to create a world hostile to Christianity and to ideas of sexual restraint.]]

I am watchign with increasing sadness as this world devolves rapidly into an immoral cesspool as one ‘christian’ after another capitulate to the militant homosexual crowds, and as I watch one ‘Republican’ after another give up the fight and capitulate to hte left- We as a nation are slowly but surely dyign to 1000 paper cuts."

by Anonymousreply 3806/21/2013

To use a biblical metaphor, Chambers is simply going to put old wine into old wineskins. The apology is meaningless because he's basically saying his views haven't changed and he's going to refocus. And, as one writer put it, there are not enough words to undo the damage they have done. "Exodus I is dead. Long live Exodus II."

by Anonymousreply 3906/21/2013

Excellent response to the bullshit apology:

by Anonymousreply 4006/21/2013

Would be difficult to "close" since it seems like a pyramid scheme... "United Ministries Against Homos", if you will.

The ultimate "sexuality is fluid" excuse. When they find a hot partner, they're queer. When they are alone, depressed and/or addicted- they seek to renounce the "lifestyle". Wishy-washy losers.

If someone told me they had once been associated with this org., I'd walk away.

by Anonymousreply 4106/21/2013

Dan Savage and John Shore:

by Anonymousreply 4206/21/2013

Chambers is weird. Why does he want to pretend he's straight? His "wife" is very plain, he knows he still loves men and wants to be with them. Why torture yourself like that? It's stupid in this day and age when gays are gaining more acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 4306/21/2013

When will they figure out that the whole Jesus thing is a giant cult based on a myth?

Now that will be the day I rejoice.

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013

Do you think Bachmann not running again has anything to do with this?

by Anonymousreply 4506/21/2013

I originally thought this was an Onion headline.

by Anonymousreply 4606/21/2013

Chambers has gay face.

by Anonymousreply 4706/21/2013

A lot of stupid people spent big amounts of money to put their kids through this bullsh!t organization.

by Anonymousreply 4806/22/2013

Alan Chambers Facebook page is rather fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 4906/23/2013

indeed

by Anonymousreply 5006/23/2013

Anybody on here ever gone to Exodus International? What was it like?

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2013

Guess they realized too late that love of cock is eternal.

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!