Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why must nearly EVERY American television show feature at least one British person?

Especially when judges are involved?

Is this a new FCC rule?

by Anonymousreply 6508/07/2014

The Office didn't.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

Law & Order on for 20 years, never featured a British person as a REGULAR (not counting guest spots)

You could argue Linus Roache, but he played an American.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

Judges tend to be anglophiles, so when they're involved they rule that all American tv shows must have at least one British character. It's the law!

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

Agree, and I don't understand it either OP.

I watch not one of those tiresome, trashy competition shows, but I know that all, or the overwhelming majority of them have at least one stereotypical Brit.

Nothing about our British cousins but I too grow tired of seeing them inundate American film and television. The U.K. would never stand for an American or anyone else to play James Bond except for a true Brit, but America is all to happy to see Brits play some of our most iconic characters in TV and film. A Brit Superman? A Brit Batman? Or perhaps Australian or South African? It's absurd really.

Likewise for most news broadcasts, especially cable. There's got to be at least one, sometimes many, reporting or narrating a package.

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

After all, we did have to endure Madonna and her Cockney linguistic accommodation. Quid pro quo is a bitch, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

Are you kidding, OP?

Black women have the judgeship roles locked up. This is been so for at least the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

r6, not the OP but I think OP was referring to the reality competitions always having one Brit or more.

Also, the black lady judge thing, while accurate in the past, is somewhat fading. They've moved on to black men and wise Latinas lately.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2013

Never heard of such a crazy thing.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

There was no one British on Hee Haw.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

OP was clearly referring to "judges" on reality shows, not judges on LAW & ORDER, etc. And I totally agree with OP. I especially hated that insufferable woman (was her name Danni, or something like that?) on one of the other realty shows (was it THE BACHELOR?) I only saw about five minutes of one episode, but that was enough.

I think this ridiculous craze of supercilious Brits on reality shows was started by THE WEAKEST LINK, and since most TV execs are obviously idiots, all they could do was try to copy that. But it's interesting to note that the woman on THE WEAKEST LINK, whatever her name was, is virtually forgotten now, at least in this country.

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

R6 Allow me to introduce you to the Honorable Judge Whitey

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

The British make more money in the US, pay less taxes, can easily get a work permit, and Americans stupidly fawn over their accent. What could possibly keep them away?

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

and in commercials as well....there are so many British voiceovers..sounds classier?..little do the advertisers know that they are as or more trashy than Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

They supposedly work for less money.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

It probably gives a show more marketability in the UK if they include a token Brit.

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

This is Hollywood's answer to the minority 'problem '

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

I couldn't possibly give you a concise answer to your question, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

brits are entertaining in their nastiness.

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

What r15 said. It may even be a requirement.

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

[quote]They supposedly work for less money.

Not me, baby.

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

[quote]and Americans stupidly fawn over their accent.

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

All of the judged shows had their roots in Britain. Americans are incapable of producing anything new.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

It's laughable how Americans think ALL British accents, including Pier's Morgan, are upper crust.

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

Even Russell Brand and Sharon Osbourne.

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

[quote]Americans are incapable of producing anything new.

~nods sagely

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

CNN, FOX, MSNBC, The Daily Show. What country gives foreigners shows on their networks?

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

American girls get all wet over the accent. Most guys couldn't give a squirt.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

It's because we're much better -- and smarter -- actors and media personalities than Americans can ever hope to be.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

There is a long-standing, deep-seated level of insecurity among executives, producers, and decision-makers in Hollywood. They know they make too much money for creating dreadful products, and worry about being found out. There's always someone younger, better educated, better connected waiting to take their job. And they know they are horribly out of touch with the unwashed masses of viewers, who they despise but fear.

Enter an English accent.

It's magic! It's shorthand for intelligence, authority, and imperial condescension. It puts everyone in their place. It sounds like money and class. No matter how awful or inauthentic it is, it sets everything right.

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2013

This is Great Britain's payback for our having sent them Elaine Stritch to coarsen their airwaves for years in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 3006/20/2013

Yeah, there are enough American programs on British TV and a lot of the British actors are good

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2013

@R28 Yeah, but certainly not better looking!

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2013

Where is the new Superman actor from, R32?

by Anonymousreply 3306/20/2013

They need someone in the cast who's qualified.

by Anonymousreply 3506/20/2013

R29 - dead-on.

by Anonymousreply 3606/20/2013

You should be complaining about the Brit (and Aussie) actors in TV dramas. At least one lead part in Walking Dead, Homeland, House, The Mentalist, Gossip Girl, True Blood, Hannibal, The Americans (ironic), American Horror Story (a bit less ironic), United States of Tara (not as ironic as it sounds), Golden Boy, Bates Motel, Elementary (at least he's not hiding like he did on Dexter), Revenge, Hawaii Five-0, The Good Wife, Damages, Fringe, Sons of Anarchy, Chicago Fire, Unforgettable, Grey's Anatomy, Brothers and Sisters

by Anonymousreply 3706/20/2013

[quote] The Office didn't.

Catherine Tate.

Idris Elba

by Anonymousreply 3806/20/2013

Are you aware just how much American shit there is, ruining British television ?

by Anonymousreply 3906/20/2013

It's not pretending to be British, is it?

by Anonymousreply 4006/20/2013

[quote] Americans are incapable of producing anything new.

Yep

The Wire, the Sopranos, Louie, Seinfeld, Friends, Breaking Bad, 30 Rock, Law and Order, Larry Sanders, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sex and the City, Justice, Arrested Development, Big Love, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, American Experience, Frontline, Bill Moyers, NOVA, Nature, The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, King of the Hill, American Dad, Daily Show, Colbert Report, True Blood, American Horror Story, Southland, Dexter, Homeland, the Good Wife, Mad Men, Eastbound and Down, Walking Dead, Grimm, Girls, Community, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire.

Poor us! If only we could think of some original shows.

by Anonymousreply 4106/20/2013

My partner's family is Jewish and they go gaga for British accents. I've never seen anything like it. I wonder if the number of Jewish people in Hollywood has something to do with it. They bring in British people for "class."

PS - I think Andrew Lincoln is one of the most wooden, one-note actors I've ever seen. The zombies are more animated and emotionally complex.

by Anonymousreply 4206/20/2013

[quote]The Office didn't.

[italic]"I grew up poor. I had little formal education, no real skills. I don’t work especially hard, and most of my ideas are either unoriginal or total crap. [bold]And yet, I walked right into a job for which I was ill-prepared, ill-suited and somebody else already had and I got it.[/bold]If you ask me, that’s the American dream, right there." [/italic]

- Nellie Bertram (The Office)

by Anonymousreply 4306/20/2013

I agree with the point you are making that the poster was being idiotic, but Homeland at least of your list was adapted from an Israeli show right?

Not an original American product.

by Anonymousreply 4406/20/2013

Was referring to post R41, forgot to mention that.

by Anonymousreply 4506/20/2013

OT, I really liked "In Treatment," based on an Israeli show. I guess it wasn't popular among people who didn't work on the field. everyone I know who is a therapist watched it. The acting was very good. (And it started Gabriel Byrne, who is not from the UK, but is a "furriner.")

by Anonymousreply 4606/20/2013

What a rigorous experiment, r42

by Anonymousreply 4706/20/2013

It was part of the terms of surrender between Cornwallis and Washington.

by Anonymousreply 4806/20/2013

Homeland is based on an Israeli show, too, and British actor Damian Lewis is an important part of the show's success.

by Anonymousreply 4906/20/2013

Ok, remove Homeland and replace with Big Bang Theory.

by Anonymousreply 5006/20/2013

The British middle class are leaving the UK in droves, it's not just actors, there are Brits all over New York now doing everything from real estate to retail to advertising to journalism, whatever they can get. They're also moving to Australia in much greater numbers than they are to the US. If is wasn't for EU migration and asylum seekers, Britain's population would be declining.

by Anonymousreply 5106/20/2013

BTW, that statement at r43 was one of the funniest, truest moment of that season. That some ditz with a British accent can walk into a job like that wasn't so far-fetched. Had me laughing for days.

by Anonymousreply 5206/20/2013

Is it because British actors take it seriously as a profession and get degrees from respected institutions instead of just turning up still wearing the prom queen outfit and expect to be a) employed b) capable?

by Anonymousreply 5306/20/2013

Which respected institutions are you talking about, r53?

by Anonymousreply 5406/20/2013

It ALL began with that Rula Lenska....CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 5506/20/2013

We have Brits on our American TV shows to continue warning us Americans what can happen to our teeth if we don't floss and brush twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 5606/20/2013

Game of Thrones is written by an American and produced by an American company, yet there is only one American in the cast. Why? It doesn't take place in the UK. It takes place in imaginary continents.

I think Peter Dinklage holds his own.

We have legions of stage actors, repertory companies, and drama schools in the US and Canada with plenty of good actors. We do not produce only Hollywood beauties. But some Hollywood beauties were actually good actors ---Paul Newman, eg, was a fine actor. So is former model Bryan Cranston. So why is it believed that we can only provide a dwarf for a tv series with a very large cast?

by Anonymousreply 5706/20/2013

r4 My feelings summed up. In the case of the talent shows a lot of them were originally created off of UK shows, so maybe that is why get casted.

by Anonymousreply 5806/21/2013

r53 That myth won't die. Most US actors(even the crappy ones ) also go to drama school.

by Anonymousreply 5906/21/2013

Judge Judy doesn't sound very British.

by Anonymousreply 6006/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 6108/01/2013

agreed OP. It goes beyond that though-look at the number of fucking British actors/actresses playing characters who are American. It's absurd. I know the British will work for less in this country, but I don't get why Hollywood has been over-the-top with using them in the last decade. If they're going to go foreign, why not get people from all different countries?

by Anonymousreply 6208/01/2013

Hollywood is controlled by Jews, and Jews for some reason have always had a fascination with the British and WASPs. There's your answer.

by Anonymousreply 6308/01/2013

bump for irritating, Brit infestations

by Anonymousreply 6408/06/2014

"Why must nearly EVERY American television show feature at least one British person?"

It's called racial diversity, silly!

by Anonymousreply 6508/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.