Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Men's Wearhouse icon won't like the way he looks -- he's out!

Men's Wearhouse has fired George Zimmer, its bearded executive chairman famous for his TV ad line: "You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it."

by Anonymousreply 3406/20/2013

Wow, I wonder what happened.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2013

What junky fabric and clothes that place offered. Only a troll would enter.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2013

How long will it last now that he is gone?

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2013

They're replacing him with Ashton Kutcher.

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2013

Wiki says he was a recovering alcoholic.

Interestingly, he was also a big supporter of legalizing pot.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2013

Went in there once. Not impressed. It was a collection of discontinued, overpriced suits that you could buy at Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's, or Stein Mart for A LOT less money.

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2013

I've shopped there and happen to like it. They've become over priced but far evolved from the 'dressy' 'hood clothes they used to have. Anybody remember Men's Wearhouse back in the 90s? It catered to low budget people and featured lots of zoot suits, double breasted pinstripe suits in yellow and olive green and cheap patten leather pointed 'dress' shoes.

I've bought some of my work suits there in recent years and they're pretty nice.

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2013

His company is now owned by a Equity firm who pull the strings.

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2013

I really sorta like Mens Warehouse. There aren't nearly as many chains which focus on office/nicer, everyday clothes for men over 20. MW, Jos. A. Banks, Brooks Brothers, maybe Rochester Menswear.. That's about it. So I hope the company continues on and improves.

The clothes there aren't couture, but I love how some queen here snarks them while somehow suggesting the likes of Macy's and Burlingtin Coat Factory is somehow better.

MW has at least one Italian brand which I always find to be very high quality, so I occasionally go there for slacks, ties and blazer. I don't buy shirts from them but have seen some shoes II would definitely consider. They are indeed pricy and I think they're trying to attain the respect level Jos. A. Banks has (or used to have). They'll never be Brooks Brothers or the men's store at Bergdorf, but they're not shabby either.

by Anonymousreply 1006/20/2013

Is this because of that whole Trayvon Martin thing?

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2013

I ventured inside my local outlet recently -- never again. The harried staff were impossible to deal with, and the shirt selection was a complete mess! I'll stick with Macys and Jos. A. Bank, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2013

R12, I shop @ MW and even I wouldn't go to one of their outlets, or any outlet really, if I could avoid it.

Some of their salesmen do make me sad because they can be so desperate and pushy.

I also don't get why so many of their stores have women sales associates. I don't want/need a woman to help with me a suit selection or a fit. A man is going to be able to help with that a bit better. Womens' clothing stores certainly don't employ men.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2013

LOL, r11

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2013

Just another storefront for China Inc.

Stiff fused jackets, ewwww.

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

R14 = R11.

THIS is what qualified as a "LOL" on DL these days... REALLY?

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

I shop there all the time and get complimented on my suits all the time. I do find that some people are shocked when they ask where I got my suit from. Clearly, there's a perception issue.

by Anonymousreply 1706/20/2013

Sorry to have confused things R13 - by "outlet" I meant a regular MW store.

I didn't mind getting advice from a female employee at Jos A Bank recently about possible shirt and tie combinations. I believe there are womens' "boutiques" run by a guy, no?

by Anonymousreply 1806/20/2013

To be honest, you'll like the way you look much more if you constructed your suit out of glad trash bags and duct tape

by Anonymousreply 1906/20/2013

I could never understand why a company that claims they will help you like the way you look would use as a spokesperson someone who wore such a cheap wig. They could see that toupee from ISS.

by Anonymousreply 2006/20/2013

Went there once. It was like a bad TJ Maxx and THAT bar is already extremely low. The clothes were crap. The store smelled like B.O. The suits were ill-fitting and seemed to be cut by a monkey. Cheap shit made to look barely passable. In short, it was depressing. It is not a place for decent gay men to buy clothes. If you do, don't tell anyone. These kinds of stores are for clueless midwestern straight men (the "skid mark" element of society) to buy their middle management clothing.

The guy they just fired seemed to fit their image perfectly, though. Bad toupee. Looked like he would have bad breath. Skeezy looking. Not sure what happened with him but they could really stand some re-branding.

by Anonymousreply 2106/20/2013

I don't get the Trayvon Martin reference.

by Anonymousreply 2206/20/2013

George Zimmer is the Men's Wearhouse guy. George Zimmerman is the psycho "neighborhood watch" guy who murdered Trayvon Martin in cold blood.

Allegedly.

by Anonymousreply 2306/20/2013

Zimmer is a Republican who gives lots of money to Republican candidates.

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

Well, then he should understand how the business world works. Dog eat dog. Doesn't matter that for 40 years you built the company from ground up. I love it when capitalists suffer the fate of cruel and indifferent capitalism.

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

R23=Star Jones

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

[quote]I could never understand why a company that claims they will help you like the way you look would use as a spokesperson someone who wore such a cheap wig. They could see that toupee from ISS.

Because he was the boss.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

R21, we're sorry you live and shop in Gary, Indiana, but please don't judge all places by the stink of your indigenous urine.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

You just know R21 is either some mincing queen with a low paying job, not long off the bus from Ohio to New York, or some sad, desperate, poseur in a little state who's convinced himself he's "fierce".

Run along Mary. Ms. Smith's perm has set and she needs more product.

by Anonymousreply 2906/20/2013

R29, hardly. But no one who shops at the fucking "Men's Wearhouse" is going to be mistaken for "fierce." You can bet on that!

by Anonymousreply 3006/20/2013

I never understood those commercials. He isn't looking into the camera, but off to the side like he is talking to someone sitting in front of him. I mean you are trying to sell your product to the large TV audience not some schmuck sitting on a stool out of camera range. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2013

[quote]patten leather

Oh, dear.

[quote]I also don't get why so many of their stores have women sales associates. I don't want/need a woman to help with me a suit selection or a fit. A man is going to be able to help with that a bit better.

Women have to put up with men telling them what to wear and what looks good on them, CONSTANTLY - the fashion world is dominated by men and their tastes. Having to put up with a female sales associate in a clothing store is small potatoes in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2013

MW is where blue collar men go when they need the first suit they've ever owned, for a funeral or wedding or something.

by Anonymousreply 3306/20/2013

I've only seen cheap shirts and suits in there. I too feel like it's for clueless men.

by Anonymousreply 3406/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.