Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Perfect Host" starring David Hyde Pierce

A friend turned me on to this and I was riveted. It somehow slipped through my radar as I never heard of it before. Maybe straight-to-video? Has anyone else seen it? Bizarre. And pretty darn good!

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2014

Yes, it was strange and amazing; a good little movie.

by Anonymousreply 106/19/2013

yeah - I saw it on Neflix. Pretty good movie, pretty good acting from DHP. Strange ending.

As basically a two man show, it might have been better as a play, hard to say.

by Anonymousreply 206/19/2013

I stumbled upon it one morning and, like a traffic accident on the highway, couldn't look away. It's interesting more than it's good, and the stagey quality and the overblown writing often trumped what could have been a clever, more ambiguous story, but I was glad to have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

I really enjoyed it, too - it certainly had its moments. Someone recommended it on here, and I've since passed on the recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

I saw it on HDNET about a year ago. I was ultimately unsatisfied and forgot about it, but there are some good parts so I'd give it a mild recommendation. I probably won't ever see it again, but I didn't mind seeing it once.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

Thanks SO much, you five, for posting and managing to say absolutely nothing about this film.

You all could be spies, you closed-mouth bitches.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

Ha ha! Nobody wants to give the plot away R6. There are a lot of twists. A wounded semi-hot burglar commandeers David Hyde Pierce's apartment but DHP drugs him with wine and ties him up. Recommended.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

PS - Helen Reddy (member her?) has a role as a nosy little-old-lady neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

I was disappointed. Had the potential to be a great 'turn the tables' thriller, but lost interest along the way. DHP was very good, and the lead was very sexy. Worth a look , if there's nothing else on.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

What a weird movie! I had this in my Netflix queue forever and finally checked it out last night. I would recommend it with the caveat that you have to just go with it and let it play out. It's certainly not for everyone, but it's a lot of fun if you let it work its magic for 90 minutes. No masterpiece, but a worthwhile experiment. I for one certainly did not see the big twist coming 4/5 through. I actually would have liked to have seen even more scenes with the "guests" as a matter of fact. The disco scene went a little too over the top, I thought, but I guess that was sort of the point. The ending seemed a bit pat to me, unfortunately, especially in regards to the found Polaroid and the make-up job (trying not to spoil it).

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2014

I just spotted this on Amazon Prime Video - thanks for the heads up. I love DHP.

by Anonymousreply 1111/03/2014

Watching DHP trying to be a lumbering, macho, hetero was pretty too damn much for me.

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!