Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

We're having a COCKTAIL PARTY!

My boyfriend and I have been negligent in entertaining friends for the last 6 months or so and to make up for some of it we're having a cocktail party the Friday of pride week here in Minneapolis. It will be minimum 20 people.

While we've thought a bit about having a gay theme (rainbow colored crudite?), I'm not sure we're going to go that way. We'll definitely have one pitcher of a mixed cocktail to pour over ice, a few bottles of red and white wine. Not sure I want to do beer at all but we'll see.

Now when it comes to food is where I get lost. Would love any ideas for hors d'oeovres you have. I'm a decent cook so don't worry about that.

by Anonymousreply 7807/01/2013

Healthy stuff. Hummus dip for crudités

by Anonymousreply 206/18/2013

I love mini hotdogs too.

by Anonymousreply 306/18/2013

Is everyone on DL who'll be in Minneapolis that Friday invited, OP? Because it's rude to discuss a party in front of people who aren't invited.

by Anonymousreply 406/18/2013

Do you want a cocktail party or a gay-pride cocktail party?

The latter would offer a focus and remove the problems you're stepping into by not offering the open bar conventionally associated with a real "cocktail party." And since people don't actually know how to behave at a cocktail party (standing, milling mixing, amusing) you'll avoid the awkwardness of having people not knowing how to behave like adults.

Or call it a wine party and have done with it. People know how to deal with those. You could throw in a punch (don't call it a "cocktail pitcher"), too. And you could skip the decorations. Your subtext sounds like you need to keep things modest.

You could keep the food easy - crostini and bruschetta with a few toppings each - with crudites (include enough oddities so it doesn't seem hackneyed). NO dessert items. Keep it all savory.

It's likely to be very warm out, so light fare and cool beverages will be welcome.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 506/18/2013

Oh my God how cliche.

by Anonymousreply 606/18/2013

You need sober options!

Seltzer and that 15 calorie limeade stuff from tropicana.

by Anonymousreply 706/18/2013

I agree with R5 - one sweet, but the rest should be savory.

Bacon-wrapped scallops or dates are good. Mini-caprese salad balls. Or you could order batch-made hors d'ouevres online - that makes it really easy. Just heat and you're done.

by Anonymousreply 806/18/2013

Chopped veggies, lemon hummus, pita chips.

Something warm and salty like pigs in a blanket as one warm dish.

Bowls of grapes.

Brie cheese and raw unsalted cashews.

by Anonymousreply 906/18/2013

Adult cocktail parties do not have themes. They have booze and some bite size appetizers.

Just get to a website about appetizers and how much booze and mixers you should have available per person. Martha Stewart always had very delicious hors d'oeuvres. I've had her book on appetizers for over 20 years.

Better to concentrate on making the food ahead of time rather than any premixed drinks.

Will you have a bartender and a combo playing bossa nova music? Or will you prefer the melodic airs of Mr. Acker Bilk?

Here knock yourself out at the link

by Anonymousreply 1006/18/2013

Deviled eggs are back in style

by Anonymousreply 1106/18/2013

Deviled eggs with wasabi is the new twist - see link above. :)

by Anonymousreply 1206/18/2013

I think it would be chic to have one of those bigmetal beverage tubs with nothing in it but ice and little bottled waters.

And then have the booze elsewhere in the room.

by Anonymousreply 1306/18/2013

Focus less on food and drinks, and more on HOSPITALITY.

Welcome your guests.

Introduce them to everyone in the room or at least a couple of people if the guest list is too big.

Have great lighting. Soft, low. Cool.

Consider playing something corny, like Charades.

Obsess less over what food you get. I'm sure whatever you pick will be great.

by Anonymousreply 1406/18/2013

You need to watch my show more often.

by Anonymousreply 1506/18/2013

One 8 oz. container sour cream

One packet Lipton onion soup mix.

Combine and serve.

Your party is now a success.

by Anonymousreply 1606/18/2013

If you don't know a single guy who drinks beer, I can just imagine what sort of frou frou crowd you're inviting.

Since you want a theme, why not un repas rose: everything pink-- food, drinks, flowers, tablescape, the whole works!

by Anonymousreply 1706/18/2013

R16 You can't even get a simple recipe like that right? It's a 16 oz. container of sour cream! You probably couldn't make ice water from a mix with Julia Child talking you through the hard parts.

by Anonymousreply 1806/18/2013

I want an entirely PINK party before I die.

There. I said it.

I think it would be AMAZING.

Pink punch. Pink linens. Raspberries and strawberries. Pink icing.

PENNE ALA VODKA.

And lime green NAPKINS.

Me, in a pink caftan, air kisses. Virginia Slims. Divine.

by Anonymousreply 1906/18/2013

R19 I like the way you think!

by Anonymousreply 2006/18/2013

A cocktail party for Pride Friday?

Popcorn, poppers, and a few gallons of vodka. Your theme could be "Let's make bad decisions."

Have plenty of lube on hand.

by Anonymousreply 2106/18/2013

Consider jalapeño poppers, as a lovely single entendre.

by Anonymousreply 2206/18/2013

A Pride party? What is this, 1991?

by Anonymousreply 2306/18/2013

R22 Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 2406/18/2013

I'd rather die than eat mini caprese balls.

by Anonymousreply 2506/18/2013

Minnie Caprese's WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 2606/18/2013

[quote] I'd rather die than eat mini caprese balls

Well, you must not have ever been to the Isle of Caprese.

by Anonymousreply 2706/18/2013

OP darling, I commend you on your cheery disposition and thoughtful consideration of your guests. As far as canapes, some of my favorites are:

Bacon-wrapped chicken livers (ALWAYS fry the bacon in BUTTER until it is half done before wrapping it round the livers and putting them in the oven), or:

Drop spoonfuls of potato pancake batter into a deep fryer (for just a few moments) then top with sour cream and Iranian caviar (the combination of flavors is angelic!), or:

(my personal favorite) spread peanut butter on circles of black bread, top with crisp, crumbled bacon and slide them under the broiler 'til they sizzle--they'll positively FLY off your platter!

Have a lovely, lovely time, dear, and don't forget, the best hostesses not only GIVE a party, they GO to it!

by Anonymousreply 2806/18/2013

At our last party my lover and I served pickled pigs feet in a plum sauce with Polynesian pea-pods and pineapple. We had more requests for that recipe than anything we've ever made. It was scrumptious.

by Anonymousreply 2906/18/2013

Pipsy...that was preposterous! Joan forgot...lots of ice cold Pepsi Cola all around.

by Anonymousreply 3006/19/2013

My sister (a gourmet chef) through a lavish cocktail party a few months back. Like you, she wanted to just have a few canapes. Total foodie wet dream. Tuna tar-tar on wasabi wafers, fried brie, etc. I'm not a foodie, so most of it was lost on me, though it was all very good. Her husband's contribution was meatballs he got from Costco. They were easily the hit of the party.

Sometimes it's better to keep it simple.

by Anonymousreply 3106/19/2013

WTF? Why don't you host a bridge night and start a campaign to get that negro family down the street to move?

Aye yi yi. I blame Mad Men for this resurgence of hipster antics meant to glamorize a dark period in American history.

by Anonymousreply 3206/19/2013

You don't have an orgy at a cocktail party unless you want everybody fucked and out of your house by 8 PM.

by Anonymousreply 3306/19/2013

Does anyone ever hire help for a party? Like spend a $100 on a few high school girls to help out in the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 3406/19/2013

I wouldn't MAKE food.

I'd BUY it. if you spend all day cooking you'll be too tired to have fun1!

by Anonymousreply 3506/19/2013

[quote]I'm not a foodie, so most of it was lost on me, though it was all very good. Her husband's contribution was meatballs he got from Costco. They were easily the hit of the party.

That's normally how it turns out. Unless you're having a gathering of primarily gourmets, most people will scarf up the simple offerings.

That's why I wouldn't advise spending hours preparing elaborate hors d'oeuvre. Even the rather affected Ina Garten thinks that's silly.

by Anonymousreply 3606/19/2013

BAKED POTATO BAR!

by Anonymousreply 3706/19/2013

I still remember being at pride in Chicago the mid-1990s when some newbie who was in the "big city" for the first time was brought to the first aid station.

They explained to the nurse that they had read for years about people snorting poppers. Here, this idiot thought it was the edible kind, and burned the inside of his nose trying to get a rush from a jalapeno popper.

by Anonymousreply 3806/19/2013

With all the local micro breweries, OP, you must serve beer.

by Anonymousreply 3906/19/2013

Suggestions for your 'pitcher' drink

Strawberry Peach Sangria

1 750-ml bottle Prosecco wine

1 1/2 cups Essensia (orange Muscat, a sweet dessert wine)

1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries

1 cup peach liqueur

3 peaches, each cut into 12 slices

1 large orange, cut crosswise into 6 slices

1 large lemon, cut crosswise into 6 slices

1/4 cup strawberry syrup (optional)

3 to 4 cups ice cubes

Mix wine, Essensia, strawberries, peach liqueur, peaches, orange slices, lemon slices, and strawberry syrup in large pitcher, smashing citrus slices slightly. Let stand at room temperature at least 2 hours or chill up to 4 hours. Serve sangria over ice

- - - - - - -

Sparkling White Peach Sangria

Serves 4 to 6

2 to 3 white peaches, sliced (2 if they are large, 3 if they are small)

3/4 cup peach brandy

1 bottle of Prosecco

1 liter white peach seltzer water, such as Seagram's Sparkling White Peach Seltzer, chilled

In a pitcher place 3/4 of the sliced peaches (saving some for garnish) and brandy and lightly muddle.

Add the Prosecco and seltzer water.

Stir with wooden spoon to mix. Pour into ice filled glasses and top with a couple of fresh peach slices.

by Anonymousreply 4006/19/2013

I also use flavored ice cubes in my sangria so it doesn't get watered down

Ingredients

4 tablespoons sugar

2 cup water

2/3 cup lemonade

12 ounces fresh fruit (raspberries, strawberries and/or peaches)

Directions

1.Dissolve sugar in warm water. Stir in lemonade. Divide fresh fruit into two ice-cube trays. Add lemonade and freeze.

by Anonymousreply 4106/19/2013

Paella.

Paella with Spanish Sow-sage!

by Anonymousreply 4206/19/2013

Is this thing on?

by Anonymousreply 4306/19/2013

We'll definitely have one pitcher of a mixed cocktail to pour over ice

One pitcher for twenty people? Wow.

And here's a hint about food: search Datalounge. There are about 700 threads about appetizers, cocktail parties and dinner parties.

by Anonymousreply 4406/19/2013

Dump some red weirdos in your trail mix and you're good to go!

by Anonymousreply 4506/19/2013

Remember to have mostly food that you can eat standing up while holding a drink in one hand. Nothing too messy or sloppy or intricate.

by Anonymousreply 4606/19/2013

Buy some of these.

by Anonymousreply 4706/19/2013

Skewers of melon, prosciutto, and fresh mozzarella

Edamame hummus

Lamb kebabs with red harissa dipping sauce

Chile-corn custard squares with guacamole

Mini chalupas with chorizo

Shrimp spring rolls with hoisin dipping sauce

Cilantro-scallion bread

Horseradish Cherry Tomatoes

Tomato crostini

Citrus-marinated olives

Grilled artichokes with olive oil, lemon, and mint

Grilled flatbreads with caramelized onions and sausage

Salmorejo (a cold tomato soup served in large shot glasses)

Grilled eggplant with caponata salsa

Feta dip

Chicken skewers with meyer lemon salsa

Grilled corn, crema mexicana & cilantro crostini

Mini zucchini and goat cheese tarts

All of the recipes that call for actual cooking can be 90% made the day before then finished up right before the party. If any of these sound good let me know and I'll post the recipes for you

by Anonymousreply 4806/19/2013

So this is what we're thinking so far. Let me know what you think. None of the guests are vegetarian and only one doesn't drink.

- Bacon-wrapped or stuffed dates (looking at recipes)

- 1 purchased canape to throw in oven

- Vegetables with Ina Garten's blue cheese yogurt dip and purchased hummus

- 2 or 3 cheese selections with crackers and dried fruit

- Purchased sweet (caramels probably)

Drinks:

- One mixed cocktail (enough for 20, so calm down R44)

- 3 bottles red/3 bottles white (enough?)

- Fancy jello shots of some kind

- 1 bottle vodka and 1 bottle whiskey with appropriate mixers

- Soda and bottled water

by Anonymousreply 4906/19/2013

I dunno about OP, R48 but I'd be interested in these recipes you mentioned:

Chile-corn custard squares with guacamole

Mini chalupas with chorizo

Shrimp spring rolls with hoisin dipping sauce

Salmorejo (a cold tomato soup served in large shot glasses)

Mini zucchini and goat cheese tarts

by Anonymousreply 5006/19/2013

You all have a lot of time on your hands. Just go to Trader Joes and get a variety of heat and serve appetizers, some cheese and and some hummus. Whew, that was hard.

by Anonymousreply 5106/19/2013

Just go to trader joes. They have plenty of appetizers.

by Anonymousreply 5206/19/2013

Last Christmas I made 8 different types of appetizers. The most popular food? I bought a couple of shrimp rings, put them out on platters with homemade cocktail sauce. Gone in 60 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 5306/19/2013

I take a large round aluminum pot and fill it with crushed ice, round it off at the top, push a dish of cocktail sauce in the top, and stick shrimp and lemon slices all over it. I get the jumbo frozen shrimps at the store, and I can serve it up with a Vodka martini in five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 5406/19/2013

And I'm a big fan of Devils on Horseback...the dates wrapped in bacon and stuffed with goat cheese.

by Anonymousreply 5506/19/2013

A cocktail party with sodas and bottled water? Are ya'll gonna decorate the trailer real nice, with some Christmas lights?

by Anonymousreply 5606/19/2013

I find shrimp cocktail very tacky.

by Anonymousreply 5706/19/2013

Shrimp cocktail reeks of rumaki and savory Jell-O molds.

by Anonymousreply 5806/19/2013

You can never go wrong with cak and graxy, DL favs for any occasion.

by Anonymousreply 5906/19/2013

I know about the shrimp, but somehow it's lasted in its appetizing appeal. Like the other person upstring said, they disappear in a flash. Nobody objects to them.

by Anonymousreply 6006/19/2013

[quote]Deviled eggs with wasabi is the new twist

I like wasabi but can't imagine it in deviled eggs which have a fairly mild flavor. It could be hilarious to watch, though. People expecting a normal deviled egg and their heads explode with wasabi. You could even sprinkle them with cayenne pepper instead of paprika.

I may do that and, when people bitch about the heat, I'll explain that the piss-elegant queens on DL say it's all the rage.

by Anonymousreply 6106/20/2013

Anyone have a good cocktail idea?

by Anonymousreply 6206/22/2013

Fried prawns slathered with mayonnaise chili sauce, and foie gras.

by Anonymousreply 6306/22/2013

I'm a big fan of the classic frozen Mango Daiquiri. I like to buy canned mango slices at the supermarket and freeze them ahead of time. That way I don't have to add ice to the blender which can make the cocktail taste watery.

The Times ran had a couple of interesting cocktail suggestions in an article a couple of summers ago. The Sumo Collins and the Guadalajara Sour both sound appealing to me (though I haven't tried them yet).

by Anonymousreply 6406/22/2013

Harecot verts with wasabi dip

by Anonymousreply 6506/25/2013

Sooooo, it was kind of a disaster. Most people showed up at least an hour to two hours late and several people sent last minute texts saying they couldn't make it. One of them is a young woman who gives you shit when you don't come to her get togethers. I guess that is what we get for having something during Pride weekend, but people are just fucking rude as hell now.

by Anonymousreply 6606/29/2013

Two hours late for a cocktail party? Unforgivable.

At least you didn't have to wait for a personal crisis to find out who your true friends are, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6706/29/2013

I'm sorry to hear that, OP. And I was enjoying this thread, too.

by Anonymousreply 6806/29/2013

Now that Pride is coming to a close, I was thinking of having a Fondue party in St. Paul.

Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 6906/29/2013

r63 wins. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 7006/30/2013

Damn Op, that sucks. Don't take it personally, everyone in the "Mini-Apple" (as we like to call it) is an idiot. If I'd have been there, I would have eaten everything in sight, drunk far too much, flirted obscenely/absurdly with you and your boyfriend, gotten into a screaming argument with someone and (most likely) puked in your toilet. Um...it's called "being a gracious guest", HELLO?

by Anonymousreply 7107/01/2013

Lutefisk and picked herring in cream.

by Anonymousreply 7207/01/2013

Read this GAWKER piece about AIDS out loud to them:

by Anonymousreply 7307/01/2013

That sucks, R66.

And hold on to that text for the next time you have trouble from her.

by Anonymousreply 7407/01/2013

r48 can I get yur recipe for: Chile-corn custard squares with guacamole please?

OP - F-em.

by Anonymousreply 7507/01/2013

"Mini chalupas with chorizo"

My soul died a little...

by Anonymousreply 7607/01/2013

Hang in there, OP! I LOVED this thread and now hope that you have a fun cocktail party on July 4th? Gay-themed; "Founding Fathers" = hot daddies (sorry, is early in the a.m., hee-hee!); red-white-and- blue punch,blah, blah...or hors d'ouevres that are NOT traditional for 4th of July; mix it up...

I would have loved to have come to your party!

by Anonymousreply 7707/01/2013

S'Mores!

by Anonymousreply 7807/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.