Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Happily Divorced

Is this show cancelled? Is John Michael Higgins gay? He sure has played gay enough! And was this show even funny? Thoughts? Did anyone watch it on TVLand?

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2013

So, why has no one commented on this thread? This show has a gay main character and was Fran Drescher's big TVLand comeback. It never got the ratings that Hot in Cleveland got (or gets) but is infinitely better than that Soul Man drek of a show. It is also better than The Exes, which rather wastes the talents of its stars.

by Anonymousreply 106/18/2013

It hasn't been renewed for a third season, but apparently they're extending the second season by 12 more episodes that will air later this year.

by Anonymousreply 206/18/2013

Most TV Land shows waste its stars on really bad writing. I didn't like "Cleveland" at first but its gotten better and has a great cast. The problem with these shows is they just throw well-known actors together and hope it sticks.

by Anonymousreply 306/18/2013

And "Happily Divorced" can be really bad. Fran Drescher's voice has become even worse over the years. But there an episode with both Renee Taylor and Ann Guilbert so that was fun.

by Anonymousreply 406/18/2013

"So, why has no one commented on this thread? This show has a gay main character and was Fran Drescher's big TVLand comeback."

The fact that Fran Drescher is in it is reason enough for its cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 506/18/2013

How come on every show Fran Drescher does her character's name is "Fran" as well? First on "The Nanny", then on "Living with Fran", and now in this show. Can't she get a little original?

by Anonymousreply 606/18/2013

Fran Drescher is sweet but extremely one-note and that voice of hers is enough to turn even her most loyal fans off. She should just enjoy her "Nanny" money and stay away from anything that involves speech.

by Anonymousreply 706/18/2013

r2, old news but thanks. That article was from LAST year (if you would have looked closely, you would have seen the 2012 date) , when they had season TWO extended. Those "extra" shows ran until February.

Nothing since then. Looks like the show is toast.

by Anonymousreply 806/18/2013

Hasn't been renewed or cancelled. Deadline says it's a long shot. Fran is admittedly not everyone's taste, but like Hot in Cleveland, the writing improved as it went along. Plus I enjoyed Higgins, Tichina Arnold, Rita Moreno (!) ,

by Anonymousreply 906/18/2013

Maybe they can spin off Rita Moreno in a vehicle named 'Empty Nest'.

by Anonymousreply 1006/18/2013

My understanding is Higgins is not gay, married, with kids, and a very nice guy. Some straight actors have played very convincing gays. Cliff Gorman, was very straight, and played the nelliest queen in "Boys In The Band", Hank Azaria was great in "Birdcage", Phillip Semour Hoffman in "Capote" & "Flawless", Sean Penn, "Milk" - Higgins has just played gay a lot, but he's so good, who cares.

by Anonymousreply 1106/18/2013

I love Fran Drescher. This show is cute, I've been watching it on TLC UK. That it has resonance with real events in her life makes it really sweet. She and Higgins, who reminds me of an old boyfriend, have good chemistry but I don't think the premise could go on for a lot of seasons. Ultimately, you feel like these two characters should move on. But it's a fun, upbeat, gay friendly show that is a lot more sincere than The New Normal was.

Fran's voice has gotten really raspy. Did she have throat surgery or something?

Been watching The Nanny from the beginning as well. Such a fun show.

by Anonymousreply 1206/18/2013

When the situations are trite and the scripts are very predictable, there better be some damn good performances bringing them home, as was the case with "Golden Girls" and "Everybody Loves Raymond," where the actors had talents so broad and craft so sharpened, that even when we saw the punch line coming a mile away, we couldn't wait to see how Dorothy, Marie, Frank, Blanche, Deborah or Rose would deliver the goods. That took real talent and made for great TV, as reflected by the amount of awards and accolades these masters of comedy amassed.

Fran Drescher... we love her but we already know the two colors she can play (whiny Jewess and sexy Lucy). I wish her the best but maybe she should just produce now.

by Anonymousreply 1306/18/2013

[quote]I wish her the best but maybe she should just produce now.

Thank God she never RE-produced.

by Anonymousreply 1406/18/2013

The Nanny worked because she had great chemistry with Charles Shaughnessy. Otherwise, it was a corny, broadly written sitcom which looked incredibly anachronistic even 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1506/18/2013

The secret weapon on The Nanny was Daniel Davis. Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 1606/18/2013

She should do a sitcom with her real ex, Suzanne Somers. Why is this fifty-something still in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 1706/18/2013

[quote] Some straight actors have played very convincing gays . . . Hank Azaria was great in "Birdcage"

Because Hank IS gay.

by Anonymousreply 1806/19/2013

wait now, Suzanne and the Frannie are lovah's?

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!