Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

James Franco Seeks Crowdfunding For "Palo Alto" Films

Took home $7 million for his role in Oz: The Great and Powerful.

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013

Nice to see that celebrities are now fucking up Kickstarter, too.

by Anonymousreply 106/17/2013

I never liked him in the first place, but now I'm absolutely disgusted with him, along with all these other spoiled brat celebs. These assholes make several millions of dollars per film, and they're begging the 99% to donate money for their shitty vanity projects?

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 206/17/2013

Let's boycott. Start it here.

by Anonymousreply 306/17/2013

What an ass.

by Anonymousreply 406/17/2013

No, no, no -- you've all got it wrong. They're giving us little people the opportunity to be part of these epic projects! Not as investors who are entitled to returns, of course, but it must be a thrill just to contribute!

by Anonymousreply 506/17/2013

Is it for another brilliant film like the one where he filmed a guy taking a real shit?

by Anonymousreply 606/17/2013

It makes sense that he would go to Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter.

A lot of indie flicks have been founded there. I've contributed to some, however Kickstarter has pretty much left the competition in the dust in the last couple of months. I wonder why he didn't go the Kickstarter route.

by Anonymousreply 706/17/2013

I just donated $10,000 because I LOVE JAMES!!

by Anonymousreply 806/17/2013

I understand this movie fundraising stuff for struggling filmmakers or up-and-coming people, for A-list celebs who make millions per movie to be begging for money for their vanity projects is a real slap in the face. It's basically saying they're a greedy cheapskate who doesn't want to touch their millions and would rather have people living paycheck to paycheck pay for the costs.

by Anonymousreply 906/17/2013

He's the grossest, most full-of-shit "talent" in many, many years. Sean Penn status.

by Anonymousreply 1006/17/2013

I would be more willing to help out a struggling director or a film student making his first short film.

I'm sure James will get the money though, and I'll be happy for "Art of Elysium" that will get all the profits.But wouldn't it be better to donate (straight) to the charity instead? I mean how much of a profit could a film about Palo Alto make?

It comes across as a vanity project with the charity coming as an after thought.

The video should have been more about the stories of the book (maybe even post a link to one of the shorts so we could get an idea of what they are) but instead we get shots of him walking around Palo Alto. lol

James, you have to leave the ego aside and be more genuine.

by Anonymousreply 1106/17/2013

What a fucking poseur hipster douchebag. Bet he was a homophobic bully at Paly.

Oops. Just read his bio on Wiki. Maybe he's OK.

But, really, James, asking the public to fund this project is like begging UNICEF to send food to the starving kids of Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 1206/17/2013

Oh hell no! Fuck Franco!

by Anonymousreply 1306/17/2013

We shouldn't donate to their charities either. Let them sell a fucking house and give. So sick of this bs.

by Anonymousreply 1406/17/2013

[quote]But, really, James, asking the public to fund this project is like begging UNICEF to send food to the starving kids of Beverly Hills.

W&W for you!

by Anonymousreply 1506/17/2013

If I wanted to give my money to a rich white guy, I'd just become a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1606/17/2013

Aw fuck, he's from my home town?

Well there's plenty of spoiled, douche, massively entitled rich kids there, he's definitely continuing the proud Palo Alto tradition.

by Anonymousreply 1806/17/2013

It doesn't surprise me he is from Palo Alto. I worked there for six months and it was creepy, sterile, rich, empty, dead - did I say creepy? The fact a woman was murdered and raped in a church on an ALTAR at Stanford did not surprise me, nor does the fact faux-artist Fucko calls it his birthplace. This stunt proves he is clueless.

by Anonymousreply 1906/18/2013

2 secrets of being successful in show business:

1. never put your own money in the show

2. NEVER PUT YOUR OWN MONEY IN THE SHOW!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2006/18/2013

Disgusting, kickstarters like this ruin It's legitimate value as a crowd sourcing enterprise. Way to ruin the goodwill you just earned from this is the end Franco.

by Anonymousreply 2106/18/2013

I don't want to hurt your feelings R17

The heart is in the right place, but the approach is misguided.

The stories are about his own book, he is the face of the pledge-video, and he's a millionaire. Surely you can see where people are coming from?

I mean a voice mail from james? 450 dollars!

Seriously, if James were reading this...

I would urge him to make a new video which included the other filmakers, a link to one of his short stories from the book, and be less about him.

by Anonymousreply 2206/18/2013

how much to blow him?

by Anonymousreply 2306/18/2013

Why doesn't he just sell his ass?

by Anonymousreply 2406/18/2013

I see he's not only not willing to contribute his own money to the school project, he's not willing to use his industry connections to raise funding either.

by Anonymousreply 2506/18/2013

[quote] Nice to see that celebrities are now fucking up Kickstarter, too.

[quote] Disguisting, kickstarters like this ruin It's legitimate value as a crowd sourcing enterprise.

That's what I don't get. How in any way does this detract or reflect badly on smaller projects? It doesn't. If anything, Veronica Mars brought new people to Kickstarter. People didn't not fund other stuff because it was on there. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2606/18/2013

Aww, too bad! Looks like he didn't reach his goal.

Pathetic that a man who makes millions per film had the nerve to ask people for money to film his vanity projects.

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013

Wow for someone who has a net worth of 20 million $ he sure is cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2808/01/2013

Sounds like the actual directors of the project tried to capitalize on James' name and failed ironically because everyone thought it was James who was asking for the money.

by Anonymousreply 2908/01/2013

James Franco is one of the most self-absorbed celebs I've ever seen - and self-absorbed describes most celebs. But Franco takes it several notches higher.

For a long time I couldn't figure out why I didn't like him, and then I realized what it is: EVERYTHING is about him. If you watch or read an interview with him, EVERYTHING revolves around him. You don't hear him talk about current events, doing charity work, or anything going on in the world. All he wants to talk about is his latest bullshit vanity project or "career". "I'm an actor/director/producer/singer/songwriter/student/professor/painter/graffiti artist/model/photographer! I do it all!"

Nothing is important as far as he's concerned unless it's about him.

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.