Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Neil Patrick Harris Set To Star In 'Hedwig' On Broadway in Spring of 2014

Neil Patrick Harris has made no secret that he wants to return to Broadway after his long run as the womanizing Barney Stinson on TV’s “How I Met Your Mother” wraps up. Now he’s making good on the promise, aiming to star in a Broadway production of the musical “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” in the spring of 2014, the producers of the show announced on Monday.

Mr. Harris, who has won raves — and an Emmy Award — as the tireless host of the Tony Awards, will play the title character, an East German-born, transgender rock singer. The production will be the first Broadway mounting of the show, which features a book by John Cameron Mitchell and music and lyrics by Stephen Trask. Mr. Mitchell starred as Hedwig in the original production Off Broadway in 1998 and recreated his role when he directed the 2001 film adaptation.

David Binder, a producer of “Legally Blonde” and “33 Variations,” is the lead producer for “Hedwig.” A creative team, additional casting and a Broadway theater are still to be announced. Mr. Harris was last on Broadway in the 2004 revival of “Assassins”; his other Broadway credits include “Proof” and “Cabaret.”

by Miareply 3611/11/2014

Oh, good. Because you just don't see Neil Patrick Harris in enough stuff.

by Miareply 206/17/2013

Won't that smug asshole just go away?

by Miareply 306/17/2013

Does John Cameron Mitchell not want to do it, or are the producers insisting on someone younger?

by Miareply 406/17/2013

This will be successful. The film has a cult following and NPH is well cast.

by Miareply 506/17/2013

He's gay. We hate him.

by Miareply 606/17/2013

Since David wants to return to Broadway, will Neal get him a part in this?

by Miareply 706/17/2013

I'd love to see them both in a play together. I'll love to see Neil on his own, but David would make a nice addition.

I can't believe the cuntitude on display here.

by Miareply 806/17/2013

I fucking hate that show.

by Miareply 906/17/2013

A cute white gay male should not be degraded like he was a gay minority or a lesbian OP.

You see all the delicate flowers you've now upset?

by Miareply 1006/17/2013

I don't ever have to see this again but it is a good role for him. He could have chosen something safe like Music Man.

I sense a lot of the closeted flyovers posting here hate on Neil because he is out, talented and seemingly happy.

by Miareply 1106/17/2013

I realize good LGBT roles aren't exactly commonplace but if this is the best NPH can find, he should stick to sitcoms.

If the film is an accurate representation of the play, this is rock-bottom stuff, not even enjoyable on a camp level.

For the uninitiated, Hedwig concerns a German tranny with a botched sex-change operation (thus the "angry inch" of the title). She takes a position as a governess and molests her male charge who, later, steals her music and becomes a rock star. And that's about it, folks.

There isn't a single sympathetic character, all of whom are bitter and unpleasant. Nonetheless, this bleak mess struck a nerve with the more cynical contingent of DLers. Perhaps they found in it a reflection of their own bitter and unpleasant lives.

by Miareply 1206/17/2013

[quote]He's gay. We hate him.

No, R6. We don't hate him. Meanwhile take your hate trolling and shove it where the sun don't shine.

by Miareply 1306/17/2013

Why on earth revive this play?!? it's charms are few, and I don't see it as a good fit for NPH, who is eager to charm, while Hedwig is eager to repel. Maybe they're trying to turn it into a Rocky Horror kind of phenomenon? Fine, then do it off Broadway; that play just doesn't belong on a Broadway stage.

by Miareply 1406/17/2013

[quote]If the film is an accurate representation of the play, this is rock-bottom stuff, not even enjoyable on a camp level.

Actually, it's all done in one real time concert with Hedwig telling his story thru talk and songs, but thanks for judging it without seeing it anyway. Oh and the show played almost three years Off-Broadway so SOME people enjoyed it.

Bitch & moan, it isn't like any of you are going to haul your fat asses out of Bumfuke to see it.

by Miareply 1506/17/2013

The movie sucks. The ending especially.

by Miareply 1606/17/2013

I think he wants to try for some "serious cred" beyond the cutesy, overblown musical comedy and sitcom stuff. He is a fully formed human being, after all. A grown man. Not the gay stepinfetchit that he is perceived as by some.

by Miareply 1706/17/2013

Theater queens in the fourms are in an a uproar, saying he's wrong for the part. Of course that's ludicrous, since his type is very much like John Cameron Mitchell who co-wrote ans starred in the damn thing, and if Mitchell were ten years younger would be up for the same parts. They want him in a simple, safe revival of the snooze fest "Barnum". They just hate it when their casting "brilliance" is ignored.

by Miareply 1806/18/2013

I wasnt a big fan of the movie, I like NPH but I think there were better career moves. Oh well, if that's what he wants to do.

by Miareply 1906/18/2013

I like him, but he just doesn't seem right for this. I hope he surprises me.

by Miareply 2006/18/2013

Well someone tell me when is it my turn?

Don't I get a show for myself?

by Miareply 2106/18/2013

The role is a stretch for Neil, but that's exactly what he needs in his career now. He just turned 40, and he won't be able to do all that running around he does while hosting too much longer.

by Miareply 2206/18/2013

Will he be playing Yitzhak?

by Miareply 2306/18/2013

I really love the show and would see it wherever, whenever. I'm not the biggest NPH fan but I'll be there regardless.

by Miareply 2406/18/2013

Wow, so much hate for Hedwig. It's ending is messy, but for the most part, it's a hilarious and touching show with some great music. My guess is the pussies on this board can't deal with distorted guitars.

Having said that, Neil is too porky and too male to be a good Hedwig. Hedwig needs to be "a slip of a girly boy." Not a smiley, muscley celebre-gay.

by Miareply 2506/18/2013

He always wants to do things where he can showboat. I prefer him in supporting roles: "Frightened Inmate #2," for example.

by Miareply 2606/18/2013

[quote]he has no other career options. only broadway wants teh gays.

[quote]Oh, good. Because you just don't see Neil Patrick Harris in enough stuff. by: violent eye roll

[quote]Won't that smug asshole just go away?

An openly gay celebrity!!! Attack!! Attack!!!!!!

by Miareply 2706/18/2013

The piece worked far better onstage than it did on film since it's done in the format of a live concert, so a revival is a good idea.

As for NPH, he's really NOT the same type as John Cameron Mitchell, who has more of an edgy, downtown vibe going for him (or the facsimile of that vibe). Can you imagine NPH directing a film like SHORTBUS?

The potential problem with NPH is that he's worked so very long in a sitcom format since he was a kid. That can calcify your acting style to the point where it's hard to do anything else well. I wish him luck with this as he could use a game-changer role.

by Miareply 2806/18/2013

NPH as Hedwig first look - what do we think?

by Miareply 2910/19/2013

I love NPH and Hedwig but isn't NPH a little to OLD for this?

Plus he seems to be a tad bit "Lawrence Welk" NO?

by Miareply 3010/19/2013

NO, R30, NPH doesn't seem [italic]anything[/italic] like Lawrence Welk. So why don't you "a one, and a two" your ass out of here.

by Miareply 3110/19/2013

Love the show. Despise NPH.

by Miareply 3210/19/2013

Why, R32? NPH seems like the least despicable famous person in history.

by Miareply 3310/19/2013

Why doesn't NPH try doing some serious roles instead of these goofball idiot characters that are supposed to be funny but aren't?

by Miareply 3410/19/2013

I'd like that too, R34.

by Miareply 3510/19/2013

NPH

by Miareply 3611/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.