Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Madonna's Worst Songs

Her "American Life" album in the 2000s is a goldmine when it comes to horrible songs.

When it comes to songs sans that album, which are her worst?

Her worst seem to be the ones she's obviously written herself. The ones she stole, or change a line to, or added or changed a word to, seem to be her best.

Her worst: "Hey You" or "P.U.".

by Anonymousreply 16203/27/2014

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 106/17/2013

"Push."

MDNA is also a gold mine. "Superstar," "Love Spent," "Masterpiece" - all horrible.

by Anonymousreply 206/17/2013

All of them.

by Anonymousreply 306/17/2013

Tread Closed.

by Anonymousreply 406/17/2013

There's so many to choose from (especially her post-2000 output), but that "Hard Candy" album takes the cake. What a piece of shit album. Not one good song on it. Even MDNA had two good songs: "Gang Bang" and "I'm Addicted".

by Anonymousreply 506/17/2013

Love Spent is one of the best songs she ever recorded. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 606/17/2013

i hate "die another day". i gave mdna a try and it's mostly awful, although i don't know the individual songs well enough to call them out.

hard candy has two awesome tracks (four minutes and beat goes on), and several horrible ones: candy shop; spanish lessons; voices.

overall worst madonna tune ever is die another day.

by Anonymousreply 706/17/2013

[quote]Even MDNA had two good songs: "Gang Bang" and "I'm Addicted".

"Gang Bang" is a Mika song, with help from William Orbit.

by Anonymousreply 806/17/2013

Love Spent reminds me a lot of a Pet Shop Boys song for some reason. She's put out a few great songs no question, but it seems the bad ones are are outweighing the good now.

by Anonymousreply 906/17/2013

B-Day Song - never have I heard such a childish, pointless, and ridiculous song recorded by a 50-something year old woman.

by Anonymousreply 1006/17/2013

R6, are you joking? "Love Spent" is one of her best? Give me a break.

I also hate "Cherish."

by Anonymousreply 1106/17/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1206/17/2013

Santa Baby and Material Girl.

by Anonymousreply 1306/17/2013

hanky panky

by Anonymousreply 1406/17/2013

"Like a Virgin" made me cringe when it was released and it still does, every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 1506/17/2013

Who's That Girl.

by Anonymousreply 1606/17/2013

Second OP. She lost me as a fan in the American Life era.. every move she made became more and more desperate culminating in the Britney kiss and the even worse Gap ad. Cringe.

Not that she was ever a great lyricist but that album is indefensible on that front alone. Pitchfork had a review of "Love Profusion" that said the lyrics were bad, even for a retard.

Anyway:

Can't Stop

Don't Stop

Push

History

White Heat

Spanish Lesson

B-Day Song (truly shocking)

Gimme All Your Luvin' and a lot of recent ones where she passes on her fears about being old to her ageing fans - time running out/wait/hesitate

Superstar

Jimmy Jimmy

Love Makes the World Go Round (youtube the live version at Live Aid for some laffs)

Die Another Day

On the other hand, she has some that seem like awful throwaway clunkers that grow on you through the years like I Know It.

by Anonymousreply 1706/17/2013

"Jimmy, Jimmy"

"Love Makes the World Go Round"

"Shoo Be Doo"

"I Love New York"

by Anonymousreply 1806/17/2013

I hate:

Holiday

Borderline

Like A Virgin

Like A Prayer

Get Into The Groove

Material Girl

Dress You Up

True Blue

Take A Bow

This Used To Be My Playground

by Anonymousreply 1906/17/2013

White Heat is a great one.

by Anonymousreply 2006/17/2013

I've never liked "Rain." The rest of the Erotica album was great, though.

by Anonymousreply 2106/17/2013

I'm So Stupid

B-Day Song

Cherish

Rescue Me

I Love NY

Candy Shop

by Anonymousreply 2206/17/2013

I didn't like any of the singles off of the 'Like A Virgin' album (esp. that godawful 'Material Girl') but I liked all of the album tracks. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 2306/17/2013

Ugh, I forgot about "Cherish", that should've been first on my list!

by Anonymousreply 2406/17/2013

Angel

Who's That Girl?

White Heat

Hanky Panky

I'll Remember

Die Another Day

and everything since American Life

by Anonymousreply 2506/17/2013

The one where she rapped about a latte.

by Anonymousreply 2606/17/2013

[quote]When it comes to songs sans that album, which are her worst?

The ones she sings.

by Anonymousreply 2706/17/2013

Shanti/Ashtangi

American Pie

Masterpiece

Cyber-Raga

Freedom

Pretender

Cry Baby

One More Chance

Let Down Your Guard

I'd Rather Be Your Lover

Easy Ride & X-Static Process is as low as it goes on her nadir

Never really cared for Frozen, its precedent Live to Tell (have to be in the mood) and its rehash Power of Good-Bye

The American Life haters might be amused at this album review.

by Anonymousreply 2806/17/2013

Dear Jessie (and a crap video, too).

by Anonymousreply 2906/17/2013

I wouldn't mind her toddling around in a g-string and stillettoes if she was just cranking out some awesome pop music. But her songs just get dumber. She's trying to stay down with the kiddies but they don't want grandma tagging along.

by Anonymousreply 3006/17/2013

'Erotic, erotic, put your attention all over my body' has to be one of the worst rhyming couplets ever penned. Some of her songs have been awesome, but there are equally pathetic ones that are embarrassing. However, she has paved the way for ageing women in rock/pop to be as pathetic, posturing and sexually self obsessed as male equivalents, so she should be respected.

by Anonymousreply 3106/17/2013

Why don't you make a list of her best ones? It would be much shorter.

by Anonymousreply 3206/17/2013

DEAR JESSIE....

by Anonymousreply 3306/17/2013

Taken as a whole, Like A Prayer is a classic. There are some good tracks on American Life and I personally adore the Ray Of Light album. Aside from that I find her dull and self obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 3406/17/2013

Wow r19 you got my list except I like Take A Bow. It actually is a well written song. And I like the end of Like A Prayer when I choir comes in.

I would also add:

La Isla Bonita

Open Your Heart

Justify My Love

Papa Don't Preach

Express Your Self

by Anonymousreply 3506/17/2013

Anything on Hard Candy. Horrible, even for Vadge.

But I do like the vulgar Erotica and video for What it Feels Like for a Girl.

by Anonymousreply 3606/17/2013

R31: The lyrics are "Erotic, erotic, put your hands all over my body" which isn't actually a rhyming couplet and probably wasn't intended to be one. That said I think Erotica is one of her best songs.

She's had duds on every album she's put out but overall it wasn't until American Life that the bulk of her material turned to shit.

by Anonymousreply 3706/17/2013

I hate Justify my Love, it tries too hard to be sexy which it is NOT, that monotone narration is just awful! I loved her earlier stuff when she did funky pop music, but I don't care for her later music where she rips off Duran Duran among others.

by Anonymousreply 3806/17/2013

Everything since "Vogue"

by Anonymousreply 3906/17/2013

"Holiday."

by Anonymousreply 4006/17/2013

hanky panky

by Anonymousreply 4106/17/2013

Love Sign, her "collaboration" with Prince. It sucked.

by Anonymousreply 4206/17/2013

Sorry, "Love Song"

by Anonymousreply 4306/17/2013

R19 I thought I was the only one who thinks "Holiday" is a shitty song - her voice is so fucking annoying in it and the synths sound so dated.

R42 Agreed - what a piece of shit song.

by Anonymousreply 4406/17/2013

American Life is one of my favourite Madonna albums. I think it's unfairly maligned by those who barely bothered to listen to it, if at all.

by Anonymousreply 4506/17/2013

These are the Madonna fans liked by non fans and haters:

Like a Prayer (has appeal from music snobs down)

Justify My Love (cool as fuck, very out there at the time and paved the way for 90s Madonna. It could only really be downhill for here when she pushed the sex stuff too far, overshadowing the good songs on Erotica. Some reason she was trying to knock herself off her pedestal with Sex as it had all become too easy.)

Into the Groove (pop perfection, she never bettered it)

I don't get why anyone would hate "Groove" unless they dislike pop music altogether.

I take the point that it was non-representative of the music of the downtown scene so was a bit out of place in Desperately Seeking Susan in a way. It was basically just disco, which had already been done by the time the downtown crew came in, mixing it up with other genres.

by Anonymousreply 4606/17/2013

Holiday isn't even a fan favourite r44. It really is so overplayed, not least by her on tour when her mega classics get ignored.

It's really taking the piss that when she does deign to finally play them how much she butchers the likes of Borderline, Open Your Heart and Dress You Up. The casual fans that tend to turn up to her shows leave their top priced seats early...

I was never a big fan of Holiday's twin Lucky Star. It's shocking that one was her first US top 5. I get the hate toward Cherish but now I love it and prefer it to the loveably dorky True Blue.

by Anonymousreply 4706/17/2013

Why doesn't Madonna do another greatest hits tour like the Re-Invention Tour where she plays the classics instead of these recent tours filled with shitty new songs nobody gives a fuck about? And whenever she plays a few old songs now, she has to fuck them up from the original version to the point they're unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 4806/17/2013

I recently tried to sell her "Sex" book on Craigslist. I started at $50, then $35, then $20 and had no takers. I threw it away. How must she explain that too her kids?

by Anonymousreply 4906/17/2013

I think Mother and Father is one of her worst simply because of the line, "There was a time I had a mother it was nice." That and the fact that she clearly forced Mirwais to make her a copy of his infinitely superior Disco Science.

Give Me All Your Love. The music is terrible and her lyrics taken as a whole don't make any sense.

I think a lot of the songs people have listed are good for what they are which is mindless pop.

by Anonymousreply 5006/17/2013

You should have given me that sex book bitch! She has many bad songs. One that come to mind is Spanish lesson.

by Anonymousreply 5106/17/2013

Bidet Song

by Anonymousreply 5206/17/2013

"I Love New York" lyrics:

I don't like cities, but I like New York

Other places make me feel like a dork

Los Angeles is for people who sleep

Paris and London baby you can keep

by Anonymousreply 5306/17/2013

Going back with William Orbit really wasn't a good thing for her, apart from one of her classic album closers "Falling Free".

He basically kept again recycling the Beautiful Stranger psychedelic beat - I don't think it was him, but Gimme All Your Luvin' is another that falls into the tradition of the 60s pop songs like Beautiful Stranger. Otherwise it just sounds like a Katy Perry retread.. if Turn up the Radio (not great, but more obvious) was done at the Superbowl things might have turned out different. I don't think people even realise megaflop TUTR has a deluded video.

Orbit's a great producer, but a one trick pony and he tends to overproduce with that bleeps shtick he has. The same can be said for Mirwais. I think Stuart Price was her best producer of late, he really is brilliant and one of the only ones to do notable stuff outside of her like The Killers.

Production on her records and picking the right producers was always one of her strong points. Shep Pettibone didn't like Deeper and Deeper "turning into La Isla Bonita" in the middle, that was her idea.

by Anonymousreply 5406/17/2013

"Where life begins" with it's charming lyrics about eating pussy:

Dining out can happen down below

You can eat all you want and you don't get fat

Colonel Sanders says it best

"Finger lickin' good"

I'm glad you brought your raincoat

I think it's beginning to rain

by Anonymousreply 5506/17/2013

Things would have turned out differently if TUTR was released first followed by I Don't Give A. The woman can't pick her single for shit.

by Anonymousreply 5606/17/2013

Oh yes, I have REALLY grown to dislike that tuneless "Music" crap.

Such a shit time of it she's had in this new century. The last gasps of greatness was really 98-99. She should do a T.Rex cover and change it to the "Girl" she's so fond of calling herself.

by Anonymousreply 5706/17/2013

Among her songs that charted, beautiful stranger, icck

by Anonymousreply 5806/17/2013

[quote]Oh yes, I have REALLY grown to dislike that tuneless "Music" crap.

Oh god, that song is soooo irritating, especially those annoying high-pitched synths in the second half of the song. Plus, there's no baseline at all, making it sound like just a bunch of noise rather than a song.

by Anonymousreply 5906/17/2013

The version of Music that played during the credits of her Drowned World DVD is pretty great. I don't know why a version of it was never available anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 6006/17/2013

I think GAYL was made essentially for the Superbowl.. but um, wouldn't the chearleader routine work in ANY song? She didn't have to go all Toni Basil/Hollaback Girl.

I feel sorry for M.I.A. Minaj totally ruled I Don't Give A (an actual good rewrite of American Life) but it was tragic M.I.A. ended up on "B-Day Song". Way to waste a credible talented guest artist.

Beautiful Stranger is not liked much despite being loved at the time. I loved it, but the vibrato vocal at the start really is irritating as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 6106/17/2013

Top 5 recent Vadge

1. Beat Goes On (Donna Summer disco nirvana)

2. Forbidden Love (all time classic album track, better than the singles)

3. I'm Addicted (taking "I Feel Love" one step further into Bobby Orlando Hi-NRG)

4. Falling Free (most interesting track off last album)

5. Candy Shop (unpopular but I love the generic Nelly Furtado r&b, icky metaphors aside)

Would have included "4 Minutes" were it not for the horrific vocal.

by Anonymousreply 6206/18/2013

Where is the "Select All" button?

by Anonymousreply 6306/18/2013

The American Pie cover reeked through the speakers

by Anonymousreply 6406/18/2013

R35, I actually like the other songs you listed, with the exception of La Isla Bonita! Oh well...

R44, Holiday is just such an irritating song for exactly the reasons you state.

by Anonymousreply 6506/18/2013

I want to thank all of you. Apparently you all have had to purchase my albums in order to like or dislike them, and your purchase helped me close on my $35million double-duplex on the upper East side.

Thanks for the cash! BE SWEET!

by Anonymousreply 6606/18/2013

R43 I was just about to add the awful Prince collaboration but I thought surely someone else has already thought of it, it's such a piece of shit song.

Also, on the cassette single of one of her big hits was this awful awful song called Superstition I think, or Superstitious...gahd it was terrible. I used to be a really big Madonna fan...I loved the Music album and I really liked af ew songs off the Confessions on a Dancefloor album, which I think she ripped off from the Scissor Sisters, who ripped off Abba...but all that stooopid Kabhalla or whatever just rang so false...she's not aging in any cool kind of way...she's desperately clinging to something instead of turning into a Grande Dame of that whole style/pop/club scene she took everything from.

She lost me at Hard Candy, then forever at MDNA. I think that shit single she released with the baby buggies runs a close second to the Prince shit song.

by Anonymousreply 6706/18/2013

[quote]Apparently you all have had to purchase my albums in order to like or dislike them

Fail.

by Anonymousreply 6806/18/2013

R67-you're thinking of "Supernatural", which was a cute, if stupid, song about having sex with a ghost. You wanna talk about shit, try to make it through Up Down Suite.

by Anonymousreply 6906/18/2013

Everything she's released since Lucky Star

by Anonymousreply 7006/18/2013

Fighting Spirit

Time Stood Still

The Beast Within

Sanctuary

Words

Isaac

Like It or Not

Thief of Hearts

How High

In This Life

Bye Bye Baby

3/4 of I'm Breathless

Super Pop (lol @ this one)

Most of the pre-fame demos - see Get Up and Are You Ready For It etc

Gambler (like it, but often singled out as a low point. Fabulously dated. Some don't like La Isla Bonita and Crazy for You among more famous ones)

[quote]You wanna talk about shit, try to make it through Up Down Suite.

That one is an extended dub of "Goodbye to Innocence", a much more house track than the other Pettibone Erotica stuff. They replaced "Goodbye to Innocence" with her shittastica/pointless version of "Fever" as she started singing that over the music. Up Down Suite I thought was a good dance track at the time when her remixes were great, but yes...

It's maybe unfair to pick on her b-sides as she never releases any. Now you see why.

by Anonymousreply 7106/18/2013

71 are those likes or dislikes?

I really love Sanctuary and have heard some good mixes of it. Don't know the others you listed.

by Anonymousreply 7206/18/2013

Dislikes r71. Know Sanctuary is popular but was never a big fan. However, the way it bleeds into Bedtime Story (not a fan of either so another one) on the album is done very well. Her albums seems to flow well as she uses the seguing method quite a lot. Never listen to fan mixes but some are well done.

Human Nature - there's another one. So bitter and not relatable at all but it's become a latter day signature tune for her and used again in the last concert. They made odd/brave singles but the videos and remixes for BS and HN made them very worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 7306/18/2013

[quote]American Life is one of my favourite Madonna albums. I think it's unfairly maligned by those who barely bothered to listen to it, if at all.

Dumb Europeans who have X-Factor acts at the top of their charts love that horrific album. Did you ever read the lyrics? The music sounds like amateur karaoke. It's her Kabbalah album too.

by Anonymousreply 7406/18/2013

[quote]Top 5 recent Vadge

Do you have comprehension issues? Read the title of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 7506/18/2013

Not as many as you do r75, thread hall monitor. If you READ the thread you'll also notice there was discussion of her better work along with the criticism.

by Anonymousreply 7606/18/2013

Also, the consensus was she lost it after the 90s so posting some of her better recent stuff made sense. Not like I did a top 5 of all time.

Anyway "bonus tracks" on her last botched Greatest Hits:

Celebration

Revolver

Doing "Revolver" as the second song in her last tour was an extreme act of perversity. Everybody was looking around going wtf.

by Anonymousreply 7706/18/2013

[quote]Human Nature - there's another one.

It's funny that so many people hate that song because I've always loved it. I used to play it loud in my car all the time in high school. In fact, the whole Bedtime Stories album (with the exception of I'd Rather Be Your Lover and Don't Stop) was great.

by Anonymousreply 7806/18/2013

GOD, anything on that acoustic album a few years ago!!!!

La Isla Bonita- turn the station

Like a Prayer - Sorry gays. It was overplayed

by Anonymousreply 7906/18/2013

Hey someone do a post of

MADONNA SONGS YOU NEVER GET TIRED OF!

Let's be proactive!

there's a couple for me, and i don't even own a single album!

by Anonymousreply 8006/18/2013

[quote]She wanted Dr Dre to produce her album [R78].

I never heard that. Why didn't it happen? Did he reject her?

In any case, I'm glad that never happened. The productions by Dallas Austin, Babyface, Dave "Jam" Hall, and Nellee Hooper were great.

by Anonymousreply 8206/18/2013

She's just not Madonna anymore. It's like they cloned her. Or composed new music from old sound bytes. Or like that last Michael Jackson album: have an impostor do the vocals.

It's really a shame. Because she still looks good, still sassy. But the last ten years have been a total loss. Her livelihood now is touring Moldavia and tricking the yokels into thinking they're getting to see a Big Star.

by Anonymousreply 8306/18/2013

Dre did reject her afaik r82. This was her crackwhore phase when she briefly dated 2Pac. She looked like shit at this point, before she likely had some subtle work done. Some speculate drugs.

by Anonymousreply 8406/18/2013

Oh yeah, Revolver sucks too.

Yeah, having that on the MDNA tour was a waste of time. She just chose it to be 'controversial by pointing guns at the audience'.

by Anonymousreply 8506/18/2013

The Beast Within - what a stupid ass song. It was supposed to be a "remix" of Justify My Love, but it's mostly just her reciting the book of Revelation. Really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 8606/18/2013

[quote]I want to thank all of you. Apparently you all have had to purchase my albums in order to like or dislike them, and your purchase helped me close on my $35million double-duplex on the upper East side. Thanks for the cash! BE SWEET!

You dozy old cunt, we're not in 1991 granma. You've never heard of leaks and downloads?

Oh wait, you HAVE because you knew people wouldn't buy your shit album if they downloaded it first. You even did some skits on the fake mp3s, making it collectible for the fans. D'oh!

by Anonymousreply 8706/18/2013

Survival. I hate the song!

by Anonymousreply 8806/18/2013

[quote]Because she still looks good, still sassy.

Bwahahahaha!!!

by Anonymousreply 8906/18/2013

She looks better than many females half her age.

by Anonymousreply 9006/18/2013

Breathtaking beauty

by Anonymousreply 9106/18/2013

Like a Virgin/Material world because we have been stuck in this money and whore world ever since

by Anonymousreply 9206/18/2013

R92 = Roseanne

by Anonymousreply 9306/20/2013

Agree with R92. Madonna's career - especially that shit song Material Girl - is the result of cultural engineering in the early '80's to kick off the greed decade. Can't be a coincidence. We've been hostages ever since.

by Anonymousreply 9406/20/2013

r84 what's the story about her drug use? You never hear about it, she goes to great lengths to portray herself as not doing anything.

by Anonymousreply 9506/20/2013

4 Minutes with Timberfake is absolute garbage.

by Anonymousreply 9607/11/2013

There are just so many to choose from! As far as singles go, "Gimme All Ur Lovin" was fucking horrible but there are plenty others. "Material Girl" was awful because of the key she "sang" in. I could go on.

by Anonymousreply 9707/11/2013

R95 When she was on Letterman in 2009, she said herself that she smoked a joint before the 1994 interview she did with him. Also, her brother said in his book about her that it was her who gave him his first joint. So she must have had a thing for weed.

Also in a magazine interview from 2000 (I think Rolling Stone), she said that she used to do ecstasy (which would be believable considering her last album title was a play on the word MDMA).

I also remember reading an unauthorized biography on her years ago that said she had done coke a few times.

by Anonymousreply 9807/11/2013

Has anyone mentioned "Celebration" (the single) or "Where's the Party"? Because those are the pits. "Dear Jessie" is also pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 9907/11/2013

If she ever makes a song that is as fun and as good as "Hung Up," you bitches will be fawning all over her again.

by Anonymousreply 10007/11/2013

[quote]If she ever makes a song that is as fun and as good as "Hung Up," you bitches will be fawning all over her again.

The only reason "Hung Up" was good was because it was built around an ABBA sample. Once again proof that she hasn't been original in years.

by Anonymousreply 10107/11/2013

It would take too much time to list her worst songs post-2000 because there's SO many of them, so I'll just post her worst 80's and 90's songs:

Did You Do It

La Isla Bonita (I fucking hated that song!)

The Look of Love

Spanish Eyes (Yawn)

Words

White Heat

Jimmy Jimmy

by Anonymousreply 10207/11/2013

I'll stick with singles. Vadge has had plenty of singles that boggle the mind as to how and why they became hits. "True Blue" is 1 of the corniest songs ever. Her vocals on "Holiday", "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl" are atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 10307/12/2013

GOD, anything on that acoustic album a few years ago!!!!

What acoustic album are you talking about, [R79]? She's never made an all-acoustic album.

by Anonymousreply 10407/12/2013

[quote]4 Minutes with Timberfake is absolute garbage.

I agree. The only reason it reached #3 in the charts is because for some reason anything Timberfake does becomes a hit. In any case, if he hadn't been on the song, it would've flopped.

by Anonymousreply 10507/12/2013

I think Angel is a classic. That song makes me happy.

There are plenty of stinkers but that ain't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 10607/12/2013

I'm sure Vadge's next album will raise the bar for horrible songs.

by Anonymousreply 10707/12/2013

I was listening to her "Something to Remember" album the other day, and I thought, "Why can't she make songs like this again?" The songs she did with Patrick Leonard and David Foster were so much more mature and classy than the cheap generic electronic shit she does now.

She really needs to go the Adult Contemporary route with her next album, because these shitty ass Euro-Pop songs like "Give Me All Ur Lovin" and "Girl Gone Wild" are just sad and embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 10807/12/2013

Nile Roger's book is a good dish on Madge. He said she had a really hard time recording Like a Virgin and surprisingly she was an imperious pain in the ass through most of it. Somehow they remained friends.

I think True Blue is her worst Album when she was at her peak. I can only remember 3 songs from it, Live to Tell being the stand out. She recovered nicely with Like a Prayer.

by Anonymousreply 10907/13/2013

Everything since "Hung Up" has been ho-hum. Yeah, I know it sampled ABBA, but it's still a good song.

Of her old hits, I can't stand "Express Yourself" or any of those True Blue era songs.

by Anonymousreply 11007/13/2013

[quote]I think True Blue is her worst Album when she was at her peak. I can only remember 3 songs from it, Live to Tell being the stand out. She recovered nicely with Like a Prayer.

The "True Blue" album seemed so thrown together without much thought. 2 of the 9 songs weren't really new - "Love Makes the World Go Round" was performed at Live Aid a year before and "Live to Tell" was used for the movie "At Close Range". "Jimmy Jimmy" and "White Heat" are absolutely atrocious and that "La Isla Bonita" is fucking irritating.

That said, "Papa Don't Preach" was outstanding. It still sounds good today.

by Anonymousreply 11107/13/2013

Nah, I love "MDNA" but you have to listen to each track for more than 30 second bites on Itunes.

And "American Life" is really great if you revisit it and let it sink in.

I am admittedly a diehard fan, granted. But did finally hear the "B-Day Song' (extra track on "MDNA") and must admit it sounds like the song Edina always sings to herself on "Ab Fab", the one she is trying to write and Patsy tells her it's not catchy. "Walking down the rooooooad..."

by Anonymousreply 11212/03/2013

Who the fuck keeps pulling up these old threads?

by Anonymousreply 11312/03/2013

R112 you have no taste. Those albums are her worst. She never made good music, but those are horrid even for her gutter standards. Listening to more than 30 seconds of songs off either of those albums could lead to loss of hearing or at the very least a huge headache.

by Anonymousreply 11412/03/2013

Oh R114! You are so funny with your with and clever turn of phrase. Are you a Hollywood writer or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 11512/03/2013

I don't think I've heard a Madonna song since "Music".

by Anonymousreply 11612/03/2013

with=wit!

by Anonymousreply 11712/03/2013

Don't worry R116, your parole date is coming up. Maybe this time you'll get lucky.

by Anonymousreply 11812/03/2013

All the songs that weren't singles are terrible. Her team puts a lot of work on the singles expecially the first one. You can always hear how polished the singles are compared to the rest which lyically are always bad and many of them are most likely written by Madonna. The single that offended me was Give Me All Your Lovin. That was a jump the shark song. It was totally not Madonna. The mistake a lot of singers make who want a "surefire" way to the top of the charts is to speed up the music and have loud music compared to their past music.

by Anonymousreply 11912/03/2013

R118, Isn't "Music" the last time any of her songs got air time? Because I can't remember any other hit from her since then. And no, I'm not in jail. I just don't get excited over elderly women.

by Anonymousreply 12012/03/2013

R116 gets excited over women! Hahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 12112/03/2013

Why does she keep making this shitty electronic music that dates so badly? Why doesn't she do more Adult Contemporary songs like she did with Bedtime Stories and Something To Remember? She's way out of her league trying to compete with the kids in the pop scene these days.

by Anonymousreply 12212/03/2013

The kids in the pop scene ain't selling very many stadium seats. She must be doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 12312/03/2013

R21, Never been with a dude...yet. Accepting applications though. Total top looking for masculine, strict bottom. Dark-haired, brown-eyed, pale skin and shaven. I like 'em smooth and young (18-20ish). Cut or uncut and cock size mean nothing to me.

by Anonymousreply 12412/03/2013

You sound like a loser who can't get a date. Move on, Jughead.

by Anonymousreply 12512/03/2013

R125, I was joking. I have a 19 year old boyfriend. I'm in my 30s. He is everything I described though. Except he's a tad bit hairy but I make him shave because I like my boys smooth.

by Anonymousreply 12612/03/2013

Not surprised the last several posts ended up being about something other than Vadge's SHITacious music.

So many bad songs to choose from...let's see: "Gang Bang", "Girl Gone Wild", "Revolver", "Gimme All Ur Lovin", "True Blue"...so many

by Anonymousreply 12712/03/2013

Die Another Day is the worst James Bond song. Just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 12812/03/2013

R123, I think Madonna sells stadium seats because people hope she will sing older songs. She does not compare to the younger singers. Think when you were a teen; were you really trying to listen to a 50 plus yr old woman?

by Anonymousreply 12912/03/2013

A TEEN? Who the fuck cares about teens? HaHa!

by Anonymousreply 13012/03/2013

Teens have no money, no jobs, live at home with mom and dad, can't afford concert tickets. They are not exactly the demo for anyone other than Bieber.

by Anonymousreply 13112/03/2013

Unlike most people here (some of which are very invested in their hate) I like most of her songs in a mindless way (they're good to dance to) and am indifferent to her personality. American Life, Hard Candy and MDMA all have good and bad songs. One of her problems is choosing the singles and MDMA was the worse: Beautiful Killer, Love Spent and Gang Bang should have been singles. GMAYL is one of her worse songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 13212/03/2013

Madonna's most musically legitimate work was during her first few albums. She sounded best performing early/mid 80's R&B-infused Pop/Dance Music. With that said, from "True Blue" on through to "Ray Of Light" her catalog is a mixed-bag. There was a lot of garbage in there but she had some great singles. She has no talent as a vocalist or songwriter but as a Pop Recording Artist she performed her job VERY WELL for close to 2 decades! Since 2000 her work has sounded desperate. The bulk of it isn't even worth mentioning......so I won't! IMO Madge's most offensive songs from the years when she actually mattered are........

CHERISH (The Worst!) TRUE BLUE OH FATHER DEAR JESSIE DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA (Blasphemous!) PRACTICALLY HER WHOLE FUCKING CATALOG SINCE 2000

by Anonymousreply 13312/03/2013

FUCK THIS FORMATTING!!!!

CHERISH (The Worst!)

TRUE BLUE

OH FATHER

DEAR JESSIE

DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA (Blasphemous!)

PRACTICALLY HER WHOLE FUCKING CATALOG SINCE 2000

by Anonymousreply 13412/03/2013

I love "Cherish", "Who's That Girl", "Angel", "True Blue", "Rain", etc. You people are CRAAAAAAZY.

by Anonymousreply 13512/03/2013

From her old stuff, "Crazy For You" and her pathetic cover of "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" are embarrassingly bad.

"True Blue" is horrible too.

In general Vadge makes awful "music".

by Anonymousreply 13612/03/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 13712/03/2013

R137 you must be tone deaf. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" exposed all of Vadge's vocal weaknesses. She could never attempt a classic such as another Rose Royce song "Wishing On A Star".

by Anonymousreply 13812/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 13912/03/2013

R139 no hers was screechy and she oversang it.

by Anonymousreply 14012/03/2013

In 1992 The Cover Girls did a very good cover of Wishing on a Star, IMO.

Back to topic: worst Madonna songs: Don't Stop, much of the American Life album, Did you Do It, most of MDNA, White Heat.

by Anonymousreply 14112/03/2013

Rose Royce was a group, not a singer.

Leaving out her 2000s material, it confuses me that some of her weakest vocals are from the Erotica era. I love Bad Girl but she sounds awful on it. Rain also sounds slightly off-key to me when she's harmonising with herself.

It's surprising because Nile Rodgers recounts how hard she worked hard to sing "Material Girl" in the demo key, at her own insistence, even though her voices sits lower than the demo singer's. It's strange that she'd drop the ball on some later songs.

by Anonymousreply 14212/03/2013

I think Nothing Fails could have been a hit with a more fleshed-out arrangement.

The first two singles off American Life were beyond trite, lyrically.

by Anonymousreply 14312/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 14412/03/2013

Punch the station! Change the channel!

by Anonymousreply 14512/03/2013

I like that Jacques Lu Cont remix of Hollywood. He dumps most of the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 14612/03/2013

I love "where life begins", even though the lyrics are stupid and gross.

by Anonymousreply 14712/03/2013

You limpy sack of defrosted moose turds! Everyone knows that Madonna does not have any bad songs, none at all.

That is why she has outsold every female singer/songwriter on the planet, including that fat hack Janet Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 14812/14/2013

Celebration

Where's the Party?

Dear Jessie

by Anonymousreply 14912/14/2013

Is this a trick question?

The answer is all of them.

by Anonymousreply 15012/14/2013

R144 vocally Gwen from Rose Royce has the best version and not just because it's the original. Teena's is fine but the way she finishes the extended notes in that song is too rough and a bit unpleasant. Gwen's version sounds effortless and sweet but it is quite difficult to duplicate her tone.

R150 exactly

by Anonymousreply 15112/14/2013

Some of her biggest hits are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Holiday, celebrate...

True blue, baby I love you...

Haven't bought a Madonna song in over ten years.

by Anonymousreply 15212/14/2013

Hmm, reading this thread makes me realize that' many of her songs people hate are the ones I like. Open Your Heart. Die Another Day. Music. Human Nature.

That being said, my favorite album of hers is still her debut. I wish that exuberant, soul-pop sound would come back.

by Anonymousreply 15312/15/2013

Her awful cover of Rose Royce's R&B classic "Love Don't Live Here Anymore". It's really awful.

by Anonymousreply 15412/15/2013

R154 it is horrendous, though some idiot in this thread with no taste apparently thinks it was good.

Didn't Vadge not only cover the song, but redo the cover again on another album with a slightly different version? Both suck.

by Anonymousreply 15512/15/2013

I remember the critics trashing Like a Virgin. I read the Nile Rogers autobiography and he said she had a hard time with the Like a Virgin album, it was vocally all over the map and she couldn't handle it. Funny it sold millions just because it was a follow up to her first which was pretty awesome. Dress You Up is a decent tune, and I also think Angel is retro pop perfection. Otherwise a largely forgettable album, Material Girl is just way to cheesy and Like a Virgin is fun but nothing special. She followed up with True Blue which was another uneven album with Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach standouts, I would say those were here worst two creatively with Like a Prayer being her zenith followed up by the Dick Tracy album, mostly filler and just a single with Vogue.

by Anonymousreply 15612/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 15712/15/2013

Music makes your bush smell sweet like a lemon!

by Anonymousreply 15812/15/2013

When Erotica came out, I hated it. It's just been recently that I started listening to it again via YT and I realize that it is actually a great album. Ditto for Hard Candy, which I hated when it came out; now, I realize it's not as bad as what I thought.

Nothing, however, will ever save "American Life", undoubtedly the worst album she ever released.

by Anonymousreply 15912/15/2013

I wonder why r150 is here on this thread. To have such definitive awareness of how bad all her stuff is, he had to have listened to all her albums one after the other. That, or he's socially maladjusted without a clue as to how to interact with others.

I go for the latter.

by Anonymousreply 16012/15/2013

R159, i agree and they are both on youtube.

HardCandy gets better and better! American Life---what a shame!

by Anonymousreply 16112/16/2013

Big Madonna Fan here, but I have to agree MDNA sucked!!!

My Favorite Madonna's are: Who's that Girl, Bad Girl, Erotica, Gambler, Human Nature, Burning Up, Don't Cry For Me, Nothing Really Matters, Frozen, Oh Father, Deeper and Deeper, Hanky Panky, Jump, 4 Minutes, Beat goes on, This Used to be, I'll remember, Live to Tell, where's the party, Intervention, what can you lose, spotlight, American Pie, Time Stood Still, and Keep it together.

by Anonymousreply 16203/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.