Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The real meanings behind horror movies

"The Shining" is about child molestation.

"Rosemary's Baby" is about domestic violence.

Any others?

by Anonymousreply 18909/30/2014

Not exactly a horror movie, but Gaslight is about domestic violence and manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 106/17/2013

What the fuck is The Apartment about?

by Anonymousreply 206/17/2013

What the fuck is The Apartment about?

About two hours long.

by Anonymousreply 306/17/2013

The Apartment? That's not a horror movie, that's a depressing comedy.

by Anonymousreply 406/17/2013

And I don't know what the original Blair Witch is about, but I would have enjoyed it much more if they had just focused on the lack of trust between the three kids and the fact that they were lost/not enough food etc. That would have been enough for me and much more effective than any belief in a witch or whatever.

Though I have to grant the house in the end is scary. Still. Just the three of them getting at each other is very much frightening.

by Anonymousreply 506/17/2013

John Carpenter's "The Thing" is about AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 706/17/2013

"The Fly" is also supposed to be about AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 806/17/2013

I meant The Tenant.

by Anonymousreply 1006/17/2013

The Fly is about aging, and how horrible diseases can completely transform your loved ones into unrecognisable people.

by Anonymousreply 1106/17/2013

The Exorcist II is about the worst piece of shit ever.

by Anonymousreply 1206/17/2013

Somewhere on the 'net it said the Exorcist was about the middle class and the counter-culture.

I thought it was scary.

by Anonymousreply 1306/17/2013

The Exorcist is about the godlessness of women's liberation. That's all that needs to be said about it.

by Anonymousreply 1406/17/2013

I think you're right R14. That must have been why I hated that movie so much. Conservative piece of crap. Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 1506/17/2013

Spousal abuse for Gaslight actually.

by Anonymousreply 1606/17/2013

How is The Shining about child molestation? I've never heard that before but find that take on it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1706/17/2013

The Dead Zone is about returning education students.

Candyman is about the Peace Corps.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is about big Pharma.

by Anonymousreply 1806/17/2013

Repulsion is about female masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 2006/17/2013

Sleepless in Seattle is a stalker movie.

by Anonymousreply 2106/17/2013

Candyman's much more about white people's fear of the ghetto.

Halloween is about repression. Both Michael and Laurie are terribly repressed. I think John Carpenter said that somewhere.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is about not giving into your fears and turning your back on them.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is about abandoning the gay lifestyle to find true, heterosexual happiness. Not even kidding. Just watch the movie.

Suspiria could be about the fear of authority.

The Stepford Wives is very much about men's fear of women's liberation.

Black Swan is said to be about female masturbation and sexual repression as well.

by Anonymousreply 2206/17/2013

Twilight is pretty much a stalker/possessive boyfriend movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 2306/17/2013

"Bride of Frankenstein" is about the loneliness of being gay.

by Anonymousreply 2506/17/2013

Re: The Shining & Child Sexual Abuse

by Anonymousreply 2606/17/2013

I second r14's assertion, and have been saying so for years. Christ, it's almost a frame by frame takedown of feminism, and so typical that no one wants to see that.

by Anonymousreply 2706/17/2013

Apparently The Tenant (the novel, I never could quite figure out the movie) is about

deconstruction of personality and denial of the unique character of a human being

Still think it's a remarkable book. Was out of print in France for a while, back in print since 2011.

by Anonymousreply 2806/17/2013

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers was an allegory about creeping communism.

Not sure what the '78 remake was really about. Maybe cults or something.

by Anonymousreply 2906/17/2013

And, r26, the man in the first still at your link looks exactly like GHWB, infamously associated with the Franklin Cover-Up (of pedophilia).

Kubrick was said to have been able to make his movies revealing pedophilia, sex-magick rituals of the wealthy, and more because he helped fake the lunar landings.

by Anonymousreply 3106/17/2013

Is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre about southern inbreeding?

by Anonymousreply 3206/17/2013

The meaning behind Alien? Something to do with childbirth?

by Anonymousreply 3306/17/2013

Jaws is all about the vagina dentata.

by Anonymousreply 3406/17/2013

"Alien" is primarily about rape, in particular male fears of rape and childbirth. The alien represents an inversion of sexual roles/ sexual threats (a female monster with a penis-head) much like Ripley represents the inversion of the classic male hero.

There are many excellent analyses of the psychology of "Alien." It is a profoundly psychosexual film.

by Anonymousreply 3506/17/2013

"John Carpenter's "The Thing" is about AIDS."

The Thing predates AIDS hysteria. It's a cold war allegory, like the movie its based upon.

by Anonymousreply 3606/17/2013

And the big blue men in Prometheus, what do they represent, OB-GYNs? Scrubs are blue...

by Anonymousreply 3706/17/2013

[quote]In the end,Rosemary buys into their bullshit.

The significance of the ending of "Rosemary's Baby" is that Rosemary's humanity has forced her to accept her role as the child's mother. It is about enslavement by the abuser, the husband, through the birth of a child.

I would not be surprised if Ira Levin was writing about his parent's abusive marriage, given the similar themes in "The Stepford Wives."

The would make Levin himself "Rosemary's Baby." Which is very Levinesque, if you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 3806/17/2013

Unfortunately, the big blue men in Prometheus represent Jesus.

I wish I was kidding.

by Anonymousreply 3906/17/2013

R31 Kubrick never filmed the fake moon landing! That's the stuff of myth.Kubrick was bad at putting these much too subtle clues/cues/easter eggs in his films.They were very quick or very scant at the most. He was the king of style triumphing over substance.

You mentioned secret societies...like in Eyes Wide Shut? That was more like a response to Blow Up and Bava how many decades later?

R35 At its heart, Alien is a haunted house movie in outer space. Or better yet horror masquerading as sci-fi. Yes, the baby alien looks like a penis etc so on. Giger design the alien to look like one dark fucking creature with a phallic symbol as its head.However Ridley Scott has never been good at understanding nuances and subtitles in his own movies. That's why in the end, it works as a horror staged in the sci-fi genre...nothing more nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 4006/17/2013

R34, that must be why Jaws has never, ever, ever interested me... Saw Teeth and it was laughable. Perhaps men feel differently about it. What a weird film.

by Anonymousreply 4106/17/2013

Yes R40 but haunted houses are often about rape no? Or psychological abuse, which is the equivalent of rape

The house is the body, is it not?

by Anonymousreply 4206/17/2013

[quote]A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is about abandoning the gay lifestyle to find true, heterosexual happiness.

Ironically, this is also the moral of "Magic Mike."

by Anonymousreply 4306/17/2013

Many horror movies are about the fear or horror of transformation, i.e., what sort of monster lurks inside me? Dracula bites a virgin and she's transformed into something else. A wolf bites a man and he's transformed into something else. You can go on and on with this line of thinking; lots of graduate students have done exactly that for years.

by Anonymousreply 4406/17/2013

Glad I haven't seen Magic Mike.

Steven Soderbergh is a pervert. By pervert, I mean who is twisted in his taste and in his views. I wouldn't be surprised if he leant to the far-right, much like Darren Aronofsky actually.

This is just the imagery and the themes I tend to find in their movies, I know nothing about their actual politics if there are any to know of.

by Anonymousreply 4506/17/2013

R43, R45, Since there is no physical or sexual chemistry between Chatum and the lead actress, even far less than in the average movie, wouldn't one assume that the lead chooses a heterosexual relationship (in other words, a beard) to cover up or to put a false face on his true inclinations and preferences?

by Anonymousreply 4606/17/2013

Mommie Dearest is really about child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 4706/17/2013

"You mentioned secret societies...like in Eyes Wide Shut? That was more like a response to Blow Up and Bava how many decades later?"

No, r40, I didn't mention "secret societies"; you did. But yes, EWS. And "Blow-Up" was NOTHING like EWS!

by Anonymousreply 4806/17/2013

Thank you, R26.

by Anonymousreply 4906/17/2013

The Blob is about the advent of the Baby Boom takeover of society. The WWII generation tries to hold off the deluge with the help of some members of the in-between generation -- those who are not quite their parents, but not their younger brothers and sisters. The blobby takeover is held off, but not for long. In the end, small town, white, mostly rural America is obliterated; blobbed over.

by Anonymousreply 5006/17/2013

[quote]"The Shining" is about child molestation.

Wah? Child ABUSE, yes, but molestation?

by Anonymousreply 5106/17/2013

r51, read the link at r26. I was incredulous at first, but the analysis is very, very credible and coherent that Kubrick's film is about the sexual abuse of the son.

I'm coincidentally just finishing the book right now. There is no indicator of this whatsoever in the book, but I think the child molestation theory is in Kubrick's interpretation.

I'd like to watch the movie again now having read that link. It's very fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 5206/17/2013

[quote] There are many excellent analyses of the psychology of "Alien." It is a profoundly psychosexual film.

Veronica Cartwright and John Hurt both said that Lambert originally had a much larger role in the film, but that Sigourney Weaver pretty much did away with it. Apparently it was pitched to Weaver that Ripley was the female star and she blew a gasket when she saw that Lambert was Ripley's equal and that the characters were in competition with each other, so Lambert's role was drastically pared down.

Who knows, maybe it would have been a film about a two-woman cat fight if it hadn't been changed?

by Anonymousreply 5306/17/2013

Rosemary's Baby is about feminism, women's health, and religion. Rosemary is a woman trying to gain control of her body and her health from a patriarchal, religious society.

by Anonymousreply 5406/17/2013

I hadn't read that far into the thread, so thanks for the link, R52

by Anonymousreply 5506/17/2013

"The Haunting" seems to be about sexual repression as well.

by Anonymousreply 5606/17/2013

Here is the interview with John Hurt where he says that Veronica Cartwright's role in Alien had been larger "until Sigourney found out."

by Anonymousreply 5706/17/2013

All of Wes Craven's early films are social commentaries disguised as horror films.

by Anonymousreply 5806/17/2013

[quote] Rosemary's Baby is about feminism, women's health, and religion. Rosemary is a woman trying to gain control of her body and her health from a patriarchal, religious society.

In the end, she fails., showing that biology really is destiny. The woman's role as mother makes her dependent on other members of the clan because she is vulnerable as the one who births and then cares for the next generation. She needs the help of the society around her -- the mate, the medical sector, the rest of the community (in her case, the witches). They feed her, keep her well, "protect" her from the outside, and ultimately decide whether or not she gets to keep her child.

Look at communities in India and Africa, where women are burned after they are no longer deemed necessary for childbearing and rearing. Whether it is a "necklace" of car tires, a husband's funeral pyre or a mother-in-law drenching her in cooking fuel, a superfluous woman is unneeded unless the others decide they need her for bearing and rearing children. Look what happened to Terry.

by Anonymousreply 5906/17/2013

And even after Rosemary's little rebellion when she asserts her rights as the baby's mother, it's only because the head witch has given her his permission. He's allowed this because knows that the baby will thrive better with Rosemary in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 6006/17/2013

R53, I don't buy that Weaver in 1978 had enough clout to get co-stars parts reduced. I'm betting that in rehearsals/during shooting the producers or Scott realized the strength of the film would be in Ripley's character.

by Anonymousreply 6106/17/2013

I read somewhere that Hurt and Cartright were having an affair during Alien.

by Anonymousreply 6206/17/2013

What's the meaning behind Evil Dead?

Weren't zombies supposed to symbolize the wretched masses of the poor? The seductive evil of vampires represented the elite?

by Anonymousreply 6306/17/2013

The Turn of the Screw and its variants (i.e. The Innocents) - also about child molestation.

by Anonymousreply 6406/17/2013

Here is the "fatherly love" scene from The Shining

It's chilling.

by Anonymousreply 6506/17/2013

"Dawn of the Dead" was a statement about mindless consumerism.

by Anonymousreply 6606/17/2013

PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS was about Reagan-era politics.

by Anonymousreply 6706/17/2013

r40- What about the facehugger forcing its phallic tube down a male's throat? Then the violent birth of the chestburster? Scott had said that was subconsciously what men feared.

Then they went crazy with the designs of the Aliens in Prometheus- one of them had a vagina as a mouth while having a penis shaped head, shown going graphically down a man's throat.

by Anonymousreply 6806/17/2013

This is one of the most fascinating threads on DL in years.

by Anonymousreply 6906/17/2013

"Mame" was about the horrors of Alzheimers.

by Anonymousreply 7006/17/2013

[quote] I don't buy that Weaver in 1978 had enough clout to get co-stars parts reduced

Hurt says it in the interview.

You do know that her father was a huge media figure, right?

by Anonymousreply 7106/17/2013

"I was a Teenage Werewolf" is about sexual awakening at puberty

by Anonymousreply 7206/17/2013

Can someone explain what "The Night Of The Living Dead" is about?

by Anonymousreply 7306/17/2013

R40 is this guy.

by Anonymousreply 7506/17/2013

I think Invasion of the Body Snatchers was more about organized religion taking over people's lives.

by Anonymousreply 7606/17/2013

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Old, closeted queen who can't have what he truly wants.

by Anonymousreply 7706/17/2013

For R73,

[quote]Undoubtedly, Romero’s style echoes his control over the picture, inspiring critics and scholars to read his assured filmmaking on Night of the Living Dead as pregnant with commentary. Zombies are a cipher for metaphor that when decrypted present a symbol for society’s problems. Commentators interpreted the film’s zombies as capitalists, racists, counterculturalists, and extremists, to name a few. The cannibalism was described as humanity’s irrational compulsion for violence—our seemingly imbedded need to destroy one another. In total, the film was commonly explained as a protest against the current Vietnam conflict, a critique of the media, cynicism toward familial and governmental establishments, and a severe blow against civil defense. Which of these readings was correct? All of them. None of them.

'Day of The Dead' was definitely Romero's attack on consumerism.

I once watch a documentary on IFC about the horror directors and creators that came out of the '70s. They interviewed Romero, Carpenter, Landis, Tom Savini, and several others. Most of those films were a direct reaction to the Vietnam War. Savini, in particular, told some fascinating stories, being that he'd been a war photographer, and that experience lent itself to his make-up effects training.

by Anonymousreply 7806/17/2013

Rosemary's Baby is about the dawn of a New World Order in which the human race is encouraged to abandon the concept of the human soul in exchange for earth-bound materialism.

by Anonymousreply 7906/17/2013

Body Snatchers was about brainwashing, mostly communist brainwashing which had been "discovered" during the Korean war.

by Anonymousreply 8006/17/2013

R75 You are quite the clueless cunt. You pick an artsy fartsy and pretentious Woody Allen film instead of a horror film! Bad form,bad job. Then again what does one expect from a non horror and art film snob?;)

by Anonymousreply 8106/17/2013

The poster linking the blog upthread about The Shining is to blame for me wasting the last two hours. But OMG, that was WEIRD!

by Anonymousreply 8206/17/2013

Psycho is essentially about sexual repression and rape— but then again aren't ALL Hitchcock films?

by Anonymousreply 8306/17/2013

"The Blob" was about the Chris Christie Presidential campaign.

by Anonymousreply 8406/17/2013

Psycho a about fear and hatred of females. Something that deeply resonates with many DLers. Norman was the first Mama's basement dweller.

by Anonymousreply 8506/17/2013

R75 has you to a "t" R81.

Throttle it back a bit, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 8606/17/2013

Modern zombie films are about the fear of falling into poverty, or perhaps the reality of it. A simple twist of fate, and a person is transformed into an ugly, needy, angry, mindless shadow of their former self.

Modern vampire films are about the 1%. They feed on us, even kill us when they're done, but they're so glamorous we let them get away with it. We even fall in love with them.

by Anonymousreply 8706/17/2013

"The Exorcist" is about the horror of children growing up - changing from cute little kids, into obnoxious, hormonal, rebellious teenagers.

As with all good horror films, it's a terror that people are afraid to talk about honestly.

by Anonymousreply 8806/17/2013

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is also about child molestation.

by Anonymousreply 8906/17/2013

[quote]"The Exorcist" is about the horror of children growing up - changing from cute little kids, into obnoxious, hormonal, rebellious teenagers.

Pauline Kael said it was about the horror of female adolescence and menstruation or something like that. She reeeeaally hated that movie.

by Anonymousreply 9006/17/2013

I'm pretty sure The Shining was about the effect of interior design on the psyche.

by Anonymousreply 9106/17/2013

Scifi, but all of (barely closeted) gay director Roland Emmerich's films are about self-hating homosexuals or celebrating homophobia.

'Independence Day' is about fighting off potential anal rapists.

'Godzilla' is about the fear of non-heterosexual breeding.

And his earlier low-budget 'Moon 41' actually includes a male rapist, who rapes a guy and then gets violently murdered.

by Anonymousreply 9206/17/2013

The closed loop story structure of "The Tenant" suggests to me the horrors of being unable to read signals and signs regarding one's fate due to character flaws and ego, along with the knowing or unknowing collaboration of your (here, false and creepy) neighbors and friends (the sexy yet clueless Isabelle Adjani) in an endless cycle of earthly suffering due to lack of self-investigation, hauteur and greed (the creep wanted the apartment after he witnessed the suicide - his own, ultimately - so he deserved it). Roman's character lacked compassion and his fate eats him alive then spits him out...eats him alive and spits him out...over and over. The closed loop structure mimics the torture of reincarnation due to lack of self-investigation and a fear of abandonment of ego. The film is a unique blend of comedy and total horror.

by Anonymousreply 9306/17/2013

Same here, R82.

by Anonymousreply 9406/17/2013

Some of these are accurate, some are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9506/17/2013

I've read a ton about Kubrick and people tend to overthink his film while simultaneously focusing on the wrong details in his films.

The child molestation angle is a bunch of hogwash. So what if the shot of the bear fellatio matches the shot of Danny in front of the mirror? It also probably matches 6 or 7 other shots in the movie.

The sexy photos in the boiler room? Why does the author of the article at R26 assume either Jack OR Wendy had to be the ones who put them on the walls? They were obviously put there by the regular Overlook employees.

James Mason visited the set? If Al Pacino had visited would that mean the subtext of The Shining was the mafia?

Truly a horrible analysis of the film. It doesn't even touch on a key change Kubrick made: in the book, Wendy is a hot, blonde ex-cheerleader. Look who he cast instead.

by Anonymousreply 9606/17/2013

What about Jack reading Playgirl?

by Anonymousreply 9706/17/2013

Some of it might be reaching, R96, but there is a reason Kubrick's films took forever in pre-production. His backgrounds are carefully detailed. As an innocuous example, his daughters loved T.Rex/Marc Bolan in the late '60's, early '70's and he approved. As a result an album cover featuring the band members looking on was featured prominently, looking on, as the Droogs visit the record shop in Clockwork Orange. There is NO way Jack Nicholson's character reading a PlayGIRL was an accident.

by Anonymousreply 9806/17/2013

That bloody elevator was creepy enough without the suggestion that it has "eyes".

by Anonymousreply 9906/17/2013

The eyes from the elevator are DEFINITELY on the pillow. I checked. It's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 10006/17/2013

I'm going to buy the book. I hope the translation is ok.

by Anonymousreply 10106/17/2013

R98, they took forever in pre-production for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with him planting symbols for people to interpret 30 years later. You prove the meaningless of this navel gazing approach in your example of his daughters and T REX. A simple explanation instead of reading into what those album covers symbolized. R26 would tie a T Rex album cover to proof that A Clockwork Orange is really about lizard brains and dinosaurs.

The Playgirl magazine is actually the least absurd point the article at R26 makes.

by Anonymousreply 10206/17/2013

I saw it in a documentary you tit at R102! It was deliberate, a family in-joke. This suggests very little in his films - particularly the SETS - is accidental. I guess I'll skip discussing the whole Shining film was a demonstration of the fantasies of a man with writer's block who keeps being interrupted (as demonstrated in the shot where a massive Jack head peers down at Wendy and the boy entering the maze garden).

by Anonymousreply 10306/17/2013

The Playgirl was probably intended to Jack's lack of commitment to the marriage. Under those circumstances it doesn't matter if a spouse is closeted gay or is just interested in other sexual outlets, what matters is that he's about to get snowbound with a wife he doesn't love, desire, or respect.

The first few scenes showed us a troubled child, an indifferent husband, and an unloveable wife, all about to spend months isolated together. The audience is made very aware it's a bad idea, we just don't know what form the madness will take.

by Anonymousreply 10406/17/2013

Oh yeah and one of the headlines on the mag was about incest. And the scene with the psychiatrist- Danny saying someone lives in his mouth. (Not sure the exact line and am posting from my phone, otherwise I'd copy paste it)

The whole thing left me strangely distressed.

by Anonymousreply 10506/17/2013

R103, you dumb fuck, i didn't say things were accidental, I said the meaning was a family in joke, not some deep symbolic gesture.

by Anonymousreply 10606/17/2013

And I said, R106, that the Bolan record was a demonstration of PLANNING. Interpret at will. Or don't. The movie works on many levels - for the discerning, and the inept.

by Anonymousreply 10706/17/2013

Ah R85, in this instance, the mama boy made his mother the basement dweller ...

The Comapny of the Wolves was about how puberty and sexual awekening is supposed to be frightening and horrific. It focused mainly on the teenage girl (and what horros awaits a woman who gets married or can't get married by the man who has sex with her), but there was a scene about a tenage boy who was completely freaked out, as he saw is body change after he followed an eery looking woman.

Believe it or not, it really scared me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 10806/17/2013

@R102, I guess you won't be enjoying the recent documentary, 'Room 237', but this thread has convinced me to buy it on-demand.

The idea of Danny being molested, however, isn't all that far-fetched. I remember re-watching this over and over through my teen years and into my twenties, and at some point, Danny's story started to appear very much like a victim of child abuse. The horror element bears this out, as it is not unheard of for a child suffering from sexual abuse and the secret shame it engenders to concoct a fantasy to hide the truth from their own psyche.

The scene between Danny and Jack in the bedroom is all kinds of creepy, and the complete antithesis of 'fatherly love'. And the dialogue in the psychiatrist scene always unsettled me in its sexual implications ("Tony is a little boy who lives in my [italic]mouth[/italic]"? C'mon.)

Even if you remove the molestation angle, it still strongly suggests Jack physically abused him, and even Wendy starts to believe this.

Anyway, in the book, Tony was something quite different and King never went there in hinting at some kind of twisted relationship between Jack and his son, but the film can have multiple readings. They aren't all immediately ridiculous just because it was never intended by the author/filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 10906/17/2013

[quote]Even if you remove the molestation angle, it still strongly suggests Jack physically abused him, and even Wendy starts to believe this.

We don't need a SUGGESTION that Jack physically abused him because both Wendy and FUCKING Jack himself discuss it in the movie. Some of you are too fucking dense to discuss anything with.

by Anonymousreply 11006/17/2013

I've always felt that the scene where all the girls pelted Carrie with tampons in the shower referred (albeit obliquely) to the onset of menstruation.

by Anonymousreply 11106/17/2013

Psycho is about if you're going to dress like your dead mother make damn well sure she had a nice wardrobe and wig when she was alive. Nothing worse than a tacky psycho.

by Anonymousreply 11206/17/2013

R110, why are you so hostile?

by Anonymousreply 11306/17/2013

The 1940s cult classic "Cat People" is about childhood sexual abuse, and its aftermath.

The titular "Cat Woman" can't talk about her background or the strange things that happened in the old country, tells a man who loves her that she can't ever have sex, and anything sexual fills her with an overpowering, animalistic rage. That is how many victims of childhood sexual abuse and incest present.

Film geeks seem to think the film is about fear of female sexuality (she does turn into a giant pussy, after all), but the traumatic background and suggestions of PTSD tell a rather different story, as do her actions when the doctor tries to rape her. Terrific film, do check it out if you haven't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 11406/17/2013

Reservoir Dogs is apparently about Tourette's Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 11506/17/2013

The underrated Nightmare on Elm Street remake is very explicitly about coming to terms with childhood sexual abuse. That movie is so shocking I can't even believe it was released like that.

by Anonymousreply 11606/18/2013

I remember when the original Nightmare on Elm Street came out thinking it was odd people were almost cheering on Freddie Kreuger once he gained a pop culture status - someone who molested and killed young children (although charred Freddie went after victims in their late teens.

I must have completely missed the remake. I might have to check that out and see how what they did differently.

by Anonymousreply 11706/18/2013

Eh 117, the remake of NOES ain't that great (although some of the actors do their best). For some reason, it's kind of lame.

Kellan fucking rocks my world, however.

by Anonymousreply 11906/18/2013

The original Last House On The Left from 1972 was Wes Craven's way of making an anti-war film in response to Vietnam. The news was flooded with blood and gore every night and his way of saying "Hey, this is wrong" was to make the most violent, gory film he could make, or in essence an anti-violence violent film.

by Anonymousreply 12006/18/2013

[quote]Terrific film, do check it out if you haven't seen it.

I can watch Cat People (and Psycho) over and over and never get tired of them.

by Anonymousreply 12106/18/2013

This thread will definitely lead to watching the first Cat People.

by Anonymousreply 12206/18/2013

"Cat People" sounds like Hitchcock's " Marnie."

"Marnie" of course only implied child molestation.

by Anonymousreply 12306/18/2013

Oh no. All I've ever heard is Marnie is terrible. Now Cat People sounds a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 12406/18/2013

And Nightmare Alley is about bisexuality!

by Anonymousreply 12506/18/2013

Wikipedia's take on Body Snatchers:

"Some reviewers found a comment on the dangers faced of America turning a blind eye to McCarthyism,[16] or of bland conformity in postwar Eisenhower-era America. Others have viewed it as an allegory for the loss of personal autonomy in the Soviet Union or communist systems in general.[17] For the BBC, David Wood summarised the circulating popular interpretations of the film as follows: "The sense of post-war, anti-communist paranoia is acute, as is the temptation to view the film as a metaphor for the tyranny of the McCarthy era."[18] Danny Peary in Cult Movies pointed out that the addition of the framing story had changed the film's stance from anti-McCarthyite to anti-communist.[14]

In W.S. Poole's Monsters in America, the film is argued to be an indictment of the damage to the human personality caused by reductionist modern ideologies both of the Right and the Left.[19] In An Illustrated History of the Horror Film, Carlos Clarens saw a trend manifesting itself in Science Fiction films, dealing with dehumanization and fear of the loss of individual identity, being historically connected to the end of "the Korean War and the well publicized reports coming out of it of brainwashing techniques".[20] Comparing Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly and Orson Welles' Touch of Evil, Brian Neve found a sense of disillusionment rather than straightforward messages, with all three films being "less radical in any positive sense than reflective of the decline of [the screenwriters'] great liberal hopes".[21]

Despite the general agreement among film critics regarding these political connotations of the film, lead actor Kevin McCarthy said in an interview included on the 1998 DVD release that he felt no political allegory was intended. The interviewer stated that he had spoken with the author of the original novel, Jack Finney, who also professed to have intended no specific political allegory in the work.[22]

In his autobiography, I Thought We Were Making Movies, Not History, Walter Mirisch writes: "People began to read meanings into pictures that were never intended. The Invasion of the Body Snatchers is an example of that. I remember reading a magazine article arguing that the picture was intended as an allegory about the communist infiltration of America. From personal knowledge, neither Walter Wanger nor Don Siegel, who directed it, nor Dan Mainwaring, who wrote the script nor the original author Jack Finney, nor myself saw it as anything other than a thriller, pure and simple."[23]

Don Siegel spoke more openly of an existing allegorical subtext, but denied a strictly political point of view: "[…] I felt that this was a very important story. I think that the world is populated by pods and I wanted to show them. I think so many people have no feeling about cultural things, no feeling of pain, of sorrow. […] The political reference to Senator McCarthy and totalitarianism was inescapable but I tried not to emphasize it because I feel that motion pictures are primarily to entertain and I did not want to preach."[24]"

by Anonymousreply 12606/18/2013

"The Sixth Sense" has strong overtones of child abuse and molestation. The murderer played by Donnie Wahlberg could be interpreted as a child molestation victim who Bruce Willis's therapist was unable to help. Remember the childlike way he was introduced, naked and covering his genitals.

Haley Osment's breakthrough, of course, is when he helps the dead girl prove that her mother was poisoning her.

by Anonymousreply 12706/18/2013

I always figured the Donnie Wahlberg character was a victim of child abuse... It's close to obvious in the movie. That said, apart from the end, there's nothing I find that thrilling in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 12806/18/2013

Are there any horror movies that aren't about child molestation?

by Anonymousreply 12906/18/2013

Perhaps that is the ultimate horror, R129.

by Anonymousreply 13006/18/2013

R36

I know The Thing was from the 50's.

But I was talking about the remake from 1982. It's a more faithful adaptation of the novella "Who Goes There?".

by Anonymousreply 13106/18/2013

^I know but it still predates AIDS as a cultural entity. It was shot in 81 when AIDS was still barely given a mention in the media. I doubt Carpenter was that prescient.

by Anonymousreply 13206/18/2013

Child molestation is a recurring theme in Stephen King's writing. I've wondered if he was sexually abused.

by Anonymousreply 13306/18/2013

"Keep away! This hour is mine!" = "I am woman, hear me roar!"

Coincidentally, she does roar right before she says this.

by Anonymousreply 13406/18/2013

It's "The [italic]sow[/italic] is mine!" Yours is very poetic tho.

by Anonymousreply 13506/18/2013

THE BIRDS--isn't this about city vs country hatred? Tippi Hedren brings love birds to Bodega Bay and is pecked on the way by jealous seagulls. Later Tippi is denounced ass a witch by townspeople when the birds go on their killing spree. Or maybe it is just the hatred of blondes.

by Anonymousreply 13606/18/2013

"They Live" = Kill the Yuppies.

by Anonymousreply 13706/18/2013

Also for They Live - 1% Reptilians, New World Order, Military Industrial Complex, etc. WAY ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 13806/18/2013

Yeah, they should re-release it, R138

by Anonymousreply 13906/18/2013

THEY LIVE is a fucking awesome movie. And--Meg Foster's crazy eyes for two hours!

by Anonymousreply 14006/18/2013

"Moment by Moment" is about fucking your sister.

by Anonymousreply 14106/18/2013

Maybe so, R120, but "Last House On the Left" is based on a Swedish film called "The Virgin Spring" (1961).

by Anonymousreply 14206/18/2013

[quote] Danny saying someone lives in his mouth. (Not sure the exact line and am posting from my phone, otherwise I'd copy paste it)

Danny's imaginary friend Timmy lives in his mouth and when Timmy gets scared he hides in Danny's stomach.

It is a metaphor for swallowing semen.

by Anonymousreply 14306/18/2013

Hmmmm, good thinking R136. Personally I spent some time in St Ives (Cornwall) on holiday and I have to say I totally get why and how The Birds were written. The seagulls are insane there. And it's where Daphne Du Maurier wrote the story The Birds.

I like your town/country thought, though. It is what the film exudes. Haven't read the original.

by Anonymousreply 14406/19/2013

Anyone know where to find Moment by Moment online?

by Anonymousreply 14506/19/2013

The short story "Homemade" by Ian McEwan is about fucking your sister.

by Anonymousreply 14606/19/2013

The Human Centipede is a metaphor for the modern family.

by Anonymousreply 14706/19/2013

Yeah, others noticed "they Live!" Thought too obscure. Glad it lives, for all its faults.

by Anonymousreply 14806/19/2013

[quote] Truly a horrible analysis of the film. It doesn't even touch on a key change Kubrick made: in the book, Wendy is a hot, blonde ex-cheerleader. Look who he cast instead.

Stanley did not like the ladies. In any of his movies.

Women are usually just something that men stick their penises into for relief.

by Anonymousreply 15006/19/2013

OK the thing about the Shinning is creepy.

It takes me back to those rumors about Paris with Polanski.

by Anonymousreply 15106/19/2013

NOSFERATU (1922) granddaddy of all Dracula films and one of the greatest films of all time, directed by FW Murnau (who was gay), shows sexual dysfunction between the husband Jonathan Harker and his wife early on in the movie. When he brings her a bouquet of flowers cut from the garden she is disappointed and says "Why did you kill them?"(this scene was restored in the authorized version of the film) symbolic of the death of their relationship--then she is very distraught when he tells her he must leave for Transylvania on a real estate mission and has horrifying dreams of her husband(including sleepwalking on the balustrade). But when Nosferatu/Count Orlok senses her fear and invades her subconscious, Mrs Harker is torn by fear for her husband and yearning for the vampire as his ship of death races toward their seaport town(Bremen). Only when both the vampire and her husband return to her almost simultaneously do we realize that the husband is powerless when the vampire comes over for a late night session with Mrs. Harker, who keeps him there until the cock crows(:) Only the death of Mrs. Harker can savethe city of Bremen and Mr. Harker from death. Is Mr. Harker's being saved by his wife's sacrifice a veiled reference to

by Anonymousreply 15206/19/2013

r108- "Ginger Snaps" is also about the fear of burgeoning female sexuality using the werewolf meme. Pretty good little film.

by Anonymousreply 15306/21/2013

What movies were really about AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 15406/22/2013

The black vampire movie "Def By Temptation", R154 - it's not bad, actually. Retroactively, "The Hunger" as well, though I doubt that was the filmmakers' intention

by Anonymousreply 15506/22/2013

The real meaning of "The Hunger" is: Vampires are sexy.

The filmmakers definitely made it work.

by Anonymousreply 15606/23/2013

The Shining is an admission that the Moonlanding was faked.

by Anonymousreply 15706/23/2013

More:

The documentary’s biggest leap of faith comes with Jay Weidner, who posits that Mr. Kubrick helped NASA fake the Apollo Moon landings, then used “The Shining” to both confess his involvement — and brag about it. Mr. Weidner is at work on a DVD about the Kubrick-Apollo connection, his second, and cites as evidence a sweater worn by Danny with “Apollo 11” on it, and the hexagonal design on the hotel hallway carpet pattern, which he argues is a dead ringer for the aerial view of the Apollo launching pad. “The entire substory of ‘The Shining,’ ” Mr. Weidner said in an interview, “is the story of Kubrick making the Apollo footage and then trying to hide it from his wife, and then her finding out about it.”

by Anonymousreply 15806/23/2013

R22 your idea about the Stepford Wives is "archaic"

by Anonymousreply 15906/23/2013

There's a very good documentary on Netflix that follows American horror movies and the eras they were released in. The name escapes me, but it's narrated by Lance Henriksen so if you search him it should come up.

A lot of the grind house horror flicks of the 70's were direct responses to the era during/after the Vietnam war. There are some very interesting interpretations of Texas Chainsaw, Hills Have Eyes, Last House, etc.

And r119, I defend the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. When you re-watch with the child sexual abuse angle the entire thing makes a lot more sense. I think it went over a lot of people's heads, even though it's made explicit in the end that Freddy did abuse the children.

by Anonymousreply 16006/23/2013

Red Lights is about a gay coming out.

by Anonymousreply 16106/24/2013

So what"s a less "archaic" theory about The Stepford Wives, R159?

by Anonymousreply 16206/25/2013

R162, I thought that Stepford Wives were about immature straight men's ultimate fantasies taken to the extreme, and the repercussions. It's a total dis on those that dump their "aging" wives for a young bimbo, and how foolish the men end up appearing.

by Anonymousreply 16306/25/2013

Good point, r163.

I think the story supports both interpretations.

What's interesting to me is that the novel is called The Stepford Wives but it's really about the Stepford Husbands and how they fear feminism and/or take their fantasies to the extreme.

by Anonymousreply 16406/26/2013

Great analysis of Alien from the same guy who did The Shining analysis I linked to earlier

by Anonymousreply 16507/02/2013

Rosemary's Baby is about Catholic guilt, not domestic abuse.

by Anonymousreply 16610/21/2013

Is it true that the new Poltergeist re-imagining is based on JonBenet Ramsey?

by Anonymousreply 16710/21/2013

Rosemary's Baby was written and directed by Jews, you freaking dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 16810/21/2013

That's still what it's about...dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 16910/21/2013

Rosemarys baby is about abortion and feminism

by Anonymousreply 17010/21/2013

How is it about abortion and feminism? Rosemary has no desire but to have the baby and be a mother, and to protect her baby.

by Anonymousreply 17110/21/2013

Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" was a more than subtle dig at cults and secret societies.

Why do you think he chose one of the most famous cultists in the US to star in his film? Tom Cruise. When I first heard Cruise was going to be in a Kubrick film, my reaction was "WTF?"

Kubrick usually worked with actors and actresses, not movie stars. Except Nicholson and Ryan O'Neal, Kubrick usually didn't go for big box office names.

Did the fact that Kubrick chose Cruise to star in a movie about the Illuminati and other characters keeping all sorts of secrets (the hooker with AIDS, the man who owned the costume shop who was pimping his daughter etc) actually go over everyone's heads?

by Anonymousreply 17210/21/2013

Twilight was about anal sex.

by Anonymousreply 17310/21/2013

VERY obvious Illuminati reference in "Eyes Wide Shut".

by Anonymousreply 17410/21/2013

A Nightmare on Elm Street was about a guy that neglects his acne

by Anonymousreply 17510/21/2013

The Blob was about what you can encounter if you step in a WalMart.

by Anonymousreply 17610/21/2013

I think the central themes in 'Rosemary's baby' are loneliness, abandonment and betrayal. Rosemary comes to realise that most people are potential sell-outs: don't count on or trust anyone.

by Anonymousreply 17710/21/2013

Amityville Horror was a tragic tale about a younger man giving up his youth and ruining his life by marrying an older woman with kids.

Also, don't buy a fixer up. It's still more house than you can afford, even if it seems like a steal at that price.

by Anonymousreply 17810/21/2013

I don't get the child molestation slant to The Shining. Physical abuse is what Danny experienced.

by Anonymousreply 17910/21/2013

Friday the 13th is about how maybe it's just never a good idea to go camping.

by Anonymousreply 18010/21/2013

The common theme I see in many horror films are: bullying, isolation, power and revenge.

by Anonymousreply 18110/21/2013

[quote]Did the fact that Kubrick chose Cruise to star in a movie about the Illuminati and other characters keeping all sorts of secrets (the hooker with AIDS, the man who owned the costume shop who was pimping his daughter etc) actually go over everyone's heads?

According to the screenwriter of EWS, Kubrick initially wanted Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger. He wanted the leads to be married in real life. I don't think it was an anti-cult movie, although the Sydney Pollack character does hint at an Illuminati-type cabal in his warnings to Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 18210/21/2013

"Room 237" is on netflix. Interesting way to pass an evening if you like docos.

by Anonymousreply 18310/21/2013

r171 - this blog entry is very much Film as Social Meaning 101. There are a number of such articles out there and text books with similar opinions and research.

by Anonymousreply 18410/21/2013

Frankenstein was about the dangers of being addicted to cosmetic surgery

by Anonymousreply 18510/21/2013

American Beauty is about how marriages suck and you eventually end up hating your spouse.

by Anonymousreply 18609/29/2014

The wedding ring thing is bogus though. men didn't wear wedding rings back then.

by Anonymousreply 18709/29/2014

Could you be any more reductive, OP?

by Anonymousreply 18809/29/2014

[quote]"Mame" was about the horrors of Alzheimers.

"Mame" was about the horrors of Jan Handzlik.

There. I fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 18909/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.