Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Would you assume that a 60 yr old man and a 63 yr old man living together for 33 years and owning a house together are gay?

Would you assume so or give them the benefit of the doubt?

The first 13 years of those 33 years, there were other roommates in the house - usually 3 other roommates, and then it dwindled down to 2 other roommates, and then none.

When they bought the house in 1978, 4 or 5 of them bought the house together. Then two of the owners left after a few years.

Now the 60 yr old and 63 yr old have been left living together just the two of them for the past 19 years.

by Anonymousreply 5306/27/2013

Yes, OP, I would assume they are gay.

Why would you even ask?

by Anonymousreply 106/16/2013

Neither home ownership or living in the same house are indicators of sexual orientation.

by Anonymousreply 206/16/2013

Giving them the benefit of the doubt that they're not gay?

Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 306/16/2013

Why is it any of your business? If they wanted you to know, they would have told you.

by Anonymousreply 406/16/2013

Not assume but highly likely.

by Anonymousreply 506/16/2013

I go along with R3. OP has just made it clear to all that he is a self-loathing gay.

by Anonymousreply 606/17/2013

FIrst, OP, identify which one is the "woman" in the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 706/17/2013

[quote]Would you assume so or give them the benefit of the doubt?

...give them the benefit of the doubt?? Are you fucking kidding me with that, you homophobic asshole? Go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 806/17/2013

R9, the statement is homophobic. You give someone the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming they're [italic]guilty[/italic] of something. It shows how you really think of homosexuality, doesn't it?

Yes, it does.

by Anonymousreply 1006/17/2013

Do they wear skinny jeans and espadrilles, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1106/17/2013

Here's the thing. You didn't say they bought the house together. You said they bought the house with 4 or 5 other people.

Who is to say they knew the other three would disappear just leaving those two? If they had of gotten it together from the start that would be much different.

by Anonymousreply 1206/17/2013

Two str8 men are not gonna shack up for 19 years, I mean, DUH.

by Anonymousreply 1306/17/2013

The Golden Girls were all about the lez lez.

by Anonymousreply 1406/17/2013

Yes, Rose, it's only you and me now. Blanche, Sophia and Dorothy are all gone.

by Anonymousreply 1506/17/2013

If 4 people bought it together then I would say no. It is possible that they had to buy the others out and were stuck in it and now just to comfortable to leave or sell in a down market.

by Anonymousreply 1606/17/2013

It is pretty safe to say that they are the Rod Couple.

by Anonymousreply 1706/17/2013

You'd know damn well they're gay, stop playing.

by Anonymousreply 1806/17/2013

Gay? Gay? How very dare you! Just because a man has a long term contract with his living-in flower-arranger, you automatically assume he takes it up the arse? How very dare you!

by Anonymousreply 1906/17/2013

Last year, when you posted the same thread, I decided this couple is very gay.

They refuse to discuss their relationship with you because you go Pocahontas at the thought of wang.

by Anonymousreply 2006/17/2013

Go to their house and hide the gravy ladle under the bed in the smaller room.

by Anonymousreply 2106/17/2013

"because you go Pocahontas at the thought of wang"

Meaningless drivel - and I'm stealing it...

by Anonymousreply 2206/17/2013

Do you honestly think that these guys waited years and years, just hoping the others would move out so that they could live together without fear of being outed? Ludicrous. And I hate to clue you all in but sex and sexual orientation of any kind is not the only criteria for living arrangements. If they are gay and finally got the chance to live there without others, well and fine but it could be that either they are gay, or they are straight(or any combination of the tow), like the house, get along, are not interested in partnering up and are roommates without the wink-wink. And at 60 and 63, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 2306/17/2013

No, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2406/17/2013

[quote]Would you assume so or give them the benefit of the doubt?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 2506/17/2013

Back in the day when girls were roommates, everyone said it was for them to save money. But two guys? Gay, gay, gay.

by Anonymousreply 2606/17/2013

If the house is in a very expensive place to live, then I would NOT assume they are gay, even if they stayed together that long.

by Anonymousreply 2706/17/2013

No, asinine R10, they are not guilty of anything.

You are completely misinterpreting the phrase and the question.

by Anonymousreply 2806/17/2013

Why don't you just invite them over for dinner?

by Anonymousreply 2906/17/2013

Nobody misinterpreted the phrase, dipshit. To "give the benefit of the doubt" means to decide to believe that someone did nothing WRONG, even though there's evidence that he might have.

Either you MISUSED the phrase, or you view being gay as wrong. Either way, you can't blame people for accusing you of homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 3006/17/2013

I've known men who have lived together for a long time in that type of situation who were not gay. What do they do in their leisure time? Do they travel together? Do they see movies or attend other events together? That would make them seem more likely to be a couple. The men that I knew who lived together and were straight did not socialize together except occasionally. They had other friends separately and did things with them.

by Anonymousreply 3106/17/2013

R31, you've known men in their 50's or 60's who have lived together (just the two of them) who are not gay?

Just one instance of two men in their 60's or more than one instance?

by Anonymousreply 3206/17/2013

Do they share a bedroom??? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 3306/17/2013

The 63 yr old is straight and the other one is gay. The gay guy have been waiting 33 yrs to declare his undying love but just haven't found the right words yet and the str8 one is still completely clueless after all this time. Let this be a lesson to the wise.

by Anonymousreply 3406/17/2013

They should televise this update on the lives of Will Truman and Jack McFarland, who've apparently set up a home someplace where the beavers live. Besides, Bobbi Adler could really use the equity work since she lost that role of Liberace's mother to Debbie Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 3506/17/2013

OP has no clue about his own, internalized homophobia and refuses to listen to multiple posters attempting to educate him about it.

No wonder the two men in question won't discuss their relationship with him.

Not because of the homophobia - but because of the self-righteous ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 3606/17/2013

My aunt was a nun and when she left the convent she moved in with a friend. That was in 1978 and they still live together.

My other aunts and uncles refuse to admit that they are gay. My generation all laugh uproriously at how willfully naieve our parents are.

These men are gay. In 20 years of living together, neither of them found a woman to live with or marry? Highly unlikely they are straight.

by Anonymousreply 3706/17/2013

Well, I'd generally assume that a 60 yr old man and a 63 yr old woman living together for 33 years and owning a house together were straight, so, yes, I'd generally assume that a 60 yr old man and a 63 yr old woman living together for 33 years were gay.

But you could figure that out without asking, now couldn't yu?

by Anonymousreply 3806/17/2013

R33, they each have their own bedroom - right next to each other.

The 60 year old still uses his single size twin bed from childhood or teen years - an oak bedroom set. He's never had a full size or queen size bed. He's stuck in a time warp.

by Anonymousreply 3906/17/2013

Maybe they're brothers?

by Anonymousreply 4006/17/2013

Yes, R32, they started living together in a house with others when they were much younger and just never moved out. Actually one guy owned the house. But they did not travel together and socialized with other people. Neither ever married. The guy with the house developed brain cancer and after being in remission for awhile, it metastasized and he died. Both were academic types living in a college town.

by Anonymousreply 4106/17/2013

I have a set of cousins that are in their 60s, who live in the same house they were born in and share the same bedroom. Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 4206/18/2013

Thank you, R3 and R25. OP and his defenders are fools. To "give the benefit of the doubt" is to do someone the kindness of questioning what seems apparent. In this instance, it would involve being kind enough to consider that they might not be gay. And perceiving that that is kind is clearly homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 4306/18/2013

OP, I need to make no assumptions: you are an asshat.

by Anonymousreply 4406/18/2013

[quote] The 60 year old still uses his single size twin bed from childhood or teen years

He probably doesn't use it every night!

by Anonymousreply 4506/18/2013

What does he use that single bed FOR?

by Anonymousreply 4606/18/2013

Nonsense. Felix and Oscar lived together for years.

by Anonymousreply 4706/18/2013

R46, what do you mean? He sleeps in the little twin size bed from childhood or teen years.

by Anonymousreply 4806/19/2013

He doesn't sleep in that twin bed - that's just for show. Or if the other one snores a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4906/19/2013

r21, you reminded me of that ladle joke but I can't remember it.

by Anonymousreply 5006/20/2013

OP reminds me of people who say someone "admits" to being gay or that saying someone is gay is an attack on there character.

by Anonymousreply 5106/20/2013

^ Defend someone against charges that they are gay

by Anonymousreply 5206/20/2013

R51, I'm well aware of the wrong concepts and wrong language of "admitting to being gay" or thinking that saying someone is gay is an attack on their character and putdown.

I'm very aware of all of that.

I just used a phrase erroneously - should not have used 'benefit of the doubt' - I do not think that being gay is in any way a negative.

I was just interested if Datalounge posters would assume the two men I describe are gay.

by Anonymousreply 5306/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!