Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mad Men-6/16/13

It's the penultimate episode of the penultimate season so something big better happen.

I want to see dinasours.

I want to see Bob's feets.

I want to see Harry's silver dollar nipples.

I want to see Megan's teefs.

by Anonymousreply 34906/29/2013

I just hope to Christ we DO NOT see another sex scene with Don and Sylvia.

by Anonymousreply 106/16/2013

I want to see Bob Benson presenting hole.

by Anonymousreply 206/16/2013

Guest starring Mark Moses, aka the reprehensible Duck Phillips, killer of Chauncey the good dog.

by Anonymousreply 306/16/2013

Don is drinking for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 406/16/2013

FUCK NO.

by Anonymousreply 506/16/2013

They shot Kenny! those BASTARDS!!

by Anonymousreply 606/16/2013

R6 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 706/16/2013

WHAT THE WHAT!

by Anonymousreply 806/16/2013

I betcha Don starts his own agency in California

And fuck I hope Kenny is ok!!

by Anonymousreply 906/16/2013

Did they just kill Cosgrove? But Megan's supposed to be Sharon Tate, not him!

by Anonymousreply 1006/16/2013

Is THEY KILLED KENNY! THOSE BASTARDS trending on Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 1106/16/2013

THANK GOD!

by Anonymousreply 1206/16/2013

Kenny lives!!

by Anonymousreply 1306/16/2013

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 1406/16/2013

Bob and Pete in Detroit together!

by Anonymousreply 1506/16/2013

Wow that was some exchange between Pete and Bob.

by Anonymousreply 1606/16/2013

Damn, Bob Benson is clearly a top! And can do better than Pete anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 1706/16/2013

Bob is a lot ballsier than Sal, and closer to being unapologetic.

by Anonymousreply 1806/16/2013

It's official. Don's son is a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 2006/16/2013

Bob Benson / Eve Harrington

by Anonymousreply 2106/16/2013

CARLA!

by Anonymousreply 2206/16/2013

Bob Benson es estupendo!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2013

Don't fuck with the gays.

by Anonymousreply 2406/16/2013

I know R22 - can it be???

Bob Benson speaking Spanish was hot.

by Anonymousreply 2506/16/2013

Bob Benson bruta figura!

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2013

Why doesn't Joan have a storyline?

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2013

"Josephine! (pause) You're endangering your position!"

Loved that.

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2013

Glen Bishop is back!

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2013

This episode is damn good, but a little Joan would improve it drastically.

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2013

Boarding school cunts. Poor Sally can't get a break.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2013

Nice VPL on Rollo.

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2013

Glen looks like John Belushi.

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2013

Glen is much less weird now!

Love the bitchy boarding school girls.

by Anonymousreply 3406/16/2013

Sally is learning the facts of life.

by Anonymousreply 3506/16/2013

Bob and Manolo, gay lovers, grifters, taking old rich sponsors for a bundle. Oh please don't let Pete ruin this, I am loving it!

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2013

Why does Joan dress so anachronistically?

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2013

This Rosemary's Baby angle is the worst thing I've ever heard--I can't believe these baby aspirin people are going to buy it.

by Anonymousreply 3906/16/2013

Terrifically written and acted boardroom scene.

by Anonymousreply 4006/16/2013

Damn, Don is good...

by Anonymousreply 4106/16/2013

Joan's look has worked for her for a long time and she can't change with the times. She can just barely get by right nows and in two years, she'll be a joke if she doesn't cut the hair.

by Anonymousreply 4206/16/2013

There's a liquor store at the corner.

by Anonymousreply 4306/16/2013

[quote]Why does Joan dress so anachronistically?

It's 1968. She's 37. She's dressing in the way that flatters her and flattered her several years ago. She can't pull off the Twiggy look.

Here is voluptuous babe Maureen Arthur in 1967. This is what sexy 30 something woman wore.

by Anonymousreply 4406/16/2013

the Monkees!

by Anonymousreply 4506/16/2013

I hope Bob isn't completely neutralized yet - was loving the power shifts between him & Pete tonight.

Peggy is thinking with her vag - that was kinda harsh, even directed at Don.

What was the song at the end?

by Anonymousreply 4606/16/2013

Maureen Arthur specialized in playing bimbos. To be contemporary, Joan needs Megan's hair and makeup and something to camouflage that chest.

by Anonymousreply 4706/16/2013

You know where to find te boys AND e booze

by Anonymousreply 4806/16/2013

Next week on Mad Men: Don and Megan have a confrontation ON THE TERRACE!!!

Thank you for listening to the people, Mr. Wiener.

P.S. Your son was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 4906/16/2013

[quote]I hope Bob isn't completely neutralized yet - was loving the power shifts between him & Pete tonight.

Agree entirely. Their scenes were fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 5006/16/2013

Why didn't Pete get rid of Bob Benson?

by Anonymousreply 5106/16/2013

Why does Pete keep Bob? Does he want a subordinate under his thumb or does he want to be under the subordinate? Love is in the air.

by Anonymousreply 5206/16/2013

To R46:

That was the title song for the film HEAD

by Anonymousreply 5306/16/2013

Thanks, Mia. Wow, I would have never guessed the Monkees could sound so trippy.

R51 & R52, I thought Pete kept Bob because the last time he tried to get Don fired, it backfired spectacularly on him. He's worried that even if he presents the truth about Bob, the partners now like Bob enough to take his side over Pete. So he'd rather ally with Bob and aim his Eve Harrington-ness at someone else.

by Anonymousreply 5406/16/2013

Betty letting Sally smoke, lol! What is she, 15?

Matt Weiner's son (Glenn) is so creepy-looking and untalented.

Peggy's work wardrobe is hideous even for that time period.

by Anonymousreply 5506/16/2013

But the porpoise is laughing good-bye, good-bye.

by Anonymousreply 5606/16/2013

That was a great episode - fun and the best so far, I think. Where are we going next week? Is Pete going to use Bob as a secret weapon in his new army?

by Anonymousreply 5706/16/2013

[quote] To be contemporary, Joan needs Megan's hair and makeup

She's a decade older than Megan. If she had Megan's Hair and makeup, she would be a stand-in for Joanne Worley.

by Anonymousreply 5806/16/2013

[quote]This episode is damn good, but a little Joan would improve it drastically.

Joan did an impression of an old, Jewish Bubby--what else do you want?

Pete sees Bob as a reboot of the blackmailing Don Draper thing he did in Season One, but this time he plans to do it right. Bob is going to be his bitch, but not in the way Bob may enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 5906/16/2013

I hope Bob infiltrates the agency with the pink mafia. Manolo is just the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 6006/16/2013

Glenn's "acting" is so stilted.

by Anonymousreply 6106/16/2013

I'm telling you, it's love. Pete and Bob are going to be sharing a house on Fire Island.

by Anonymousreply 6206/16/2013

Bob proves that anyone can work and even get ahead in advertising if they are crafty. You can literally come from nowhere and get ahead, as Don proved. Pete is well aware, now.

by Anonymousreply 6306/16/2013

Like Pete said, who knows what someone like Bob is capable of doing. Pete wants someone like that on his side.

by Anonymousreply 6406/16/2013

[quote]I'm telling you, it's love. Pete and Bob are going to be sharing a house on Fire Island.

Last week, Pete was all "it's disgusting." This week, it's "you better make sure (Manolo doesn't like women.)

Next week: "My neck hurts. I could sure use a massage."

by Anonymousreply 6506/16/2013

I'm assuming that Pete didn't shitcan Bob because Bob is so well-liked at the agency now, that firing him would cause everyone at SCWhatever to dislike Pete even more than they already do.

by Anonymousreply 6606/16/2013

From your mouth to Weiner's ear R63. Just the thought of it...

by Anonymousreply 6706/16/2013

The Unloved Don Draper in a fetal position on his office couch, awash in a Monkees' acid groove. Not where I saw this season going when the first episode opened.

Don's spent this episode and the last in the Ninth Circle of Hell. Megan's the only one buying his shit, and I think she's just going through the motions because she doesn't want the drama anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6806/16/2013

R65-This week it was "we are going to work together closely but not too close" and "I am off limits." They'll be fucking by next season.

by Anonymousreply 6906/16/2013

I like the idea of an evil, gay power duo.

Come on Pete, you know you're curious!

by Anonymousreply 7006/16/2013

"She's a decade older than Megan. If she had Megan's Hair and makeup, she would be a stand-in for Joanne Worley."

No, the french twist makes her look like Joanne Worley. I am female and was 17 in 1968. Joan would have seemed overdone and very retro and not in a good way. Hair was supposed to be shiny and swing. Bright lipstick and elongated eyeliner may look just fine now but back then, they were comical. Maybe that's the point that Weiner is --trying to make--that's she's rooted in the past

by Anonymousreply 7106/16/2013

Gee, it was so nice of the WM to put PT on during the duration of MM...don't you think? And that there were so many people NOT posting, just great...

by Anonymousreply 7206/16/2013

Bob, Schmob.

Don Draper's son? An FBI agent? A corporate spy?

No, just a closeted hillbilly with a fake resume. Yawn.

I am the one to watch out for, gay bitches.

by Anonymousreply 7306/16/2013

The Bob-Pete stuff was fantastic. I LOVE that Pete was smart enough and and could put aside his homophobia (which was more reactionary than embedded) to actually keep Bob and use him to his advantage.

by Anonymousreply 7406/16/2013

I hope Pete helps Bob nail Cosgrove or Stan!

by Anonymousreply 7506/16/2013

Pete was hilarious tonight, fascinating. This is the Pete I love to watch. You can see his wheels spinning. He is such a comic figure. Unpleasant, unlikeable, and yet.

I thought Don was right to called & Peggy out. Everything he said was true.I thought Peggy was out of line calling him a monster. She has misinterpreted the entire dynamic between Ted & him.

by Anonymousreply 7606/16/2013

Joan is at the age where she is not going to keep changing with the current fashion trends. She's going to stick with what she likes. My sister was in her mid twenties when that high eighties hair came into fashion. Flash foward to 1998 and we finally had to have an intervention with her and tell her she had to lose the 80's hair. She finally did.

by Anonymousreply 7706/16/2013

So what is motivating Don, beside sheer jealousy of Ted? Or a mistaken claim of ownership over Peggy?

It sure isn't fiscal responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 7806/16/2013

True, r77. A while back we had a huge thread about people who get stuck in a certain look for decades and posters commented that people who were hot shit in a certain time period will never leave that time. Joan was hot shit in the 50s and early 60s so she's not changing her look because she's stuck in that period. Today's equivalent is the middle-aged women who are still rocking the big 80s hair and five shades of eye makeup because that time period was when they were at their peak. Thankfully, r77, you and your family had an intervention with your sister to save her future embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 7906/17/2013

My dearly departed grandmother had the same hair-do when she died in 1991 that she had in 1968. Joan will similarly never change.

by Anonymousreply 8006/17/2013

[quote]I thought Don was right to called & Peggy out. Everything he said was true.I thought Peggy was out of line calling him a monster. She has misinterpreted the entire dynamic between Ted & him.

He was right to call them both out. Peggy is so fucking annoying. Actually so is Ted. The Peggy obsessive fans will be pissed about what Don did, but she, Ted and her Clio were going to sink like a boulder if Don hadn't stepped in and saved them. He deliberately put the fear of god in them for a few minutes, which they honestly deserved, but he also really did save the campaign.

by Anonymousreply 8106/17/2013

While I can not see Joan ever embracing Summer of Love/Woodstock fashion, I can see her fast-forwarded to the 70s, with Mary Tyler Moore hair and an avocado pantsuit.

Weird.

by Anonymousreply 8206/17/2013

But Joan isn't some Midwestern house frau. She lives in NYC. She works in a field that requires knowledge of current trends. She is exposed to current fashion every day. It seems that she will eventually update and, like R82 said, he'll skip the Summer of Love shit and jump to pantsuits and wildly patterned muumuus.

by Anonymousreply 8306/17/2013

Peggy is looking for opportunities to hate on Don. He knows where she came from, just as Pete will now have that on Bob Benson. I hope that Weiner doesn't have Bob eclipse Don in the last season, passing the torch from poseur to poseur. It's too predictable.

by Anonymousreply 8406/17/2013

Bob has a genius playing a role and filling a suit, but he's an account guy. He doesn't have Don's creative abilities.

Don may (will?) pass the torch soon, willingly or not. But it won't be to Bob.

by Anonymousreply 8506/17/2013

Okay, given what we now know about Bob Benson, do you think his profession of love for Pete on last week's episode was for real? Or had he misread Pete as a closet case and then hoped to sleazily entrap him in an affair and use it for his own career advancement? In other words, is Bob a romantic or a sociopath?

Whatever the case, Bob is turning out to be one of the most interesting characters the show has brought aboard in quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 8606/17/2013

Are there really a lot of apartment buildings as old as the Dakota in Montreal, as Megan said? That's an interesting detail.

by Anonymousreply 8706/17/2013

Don's apartment looks the same size as your average middle-class ranch house. It's weird how small 'luxury apartments' are in NY.

by Anonymousreply 8806/17/2013

#1 Bob is clearly a sociopath. Pete sees it and does not even want him "on his side" he just wants him to leave him the hell alone.

Pete's rapist line though is very disturbing and does not bode well for Bob.

#2 I truly LOVE the fact that Betty makes her phone calls at the same time Megan's show is on the air - it is like she intentionally will not even turn on the tv during the time that soap opera is on for fear of seeing Megan's AWFUL (but pitch perfect) wardrobe and acting.

by Anonymousreply 8906/17/2013

I don't think what Duck and Pete think they've learned about Bob is the truth either. Why would Bob, a supposed hillbilly from West Virgina be speaking fluent Spanish on the telephone? How do we know he was speaking to Manolo? Weren't several of the Watergate break in suspects Cuban? Maybe Bob is more of a spy than we originally thought. GM is a major manufacturer of military equipment at the time. Maybe Bob's sexual ambiguity is an effort to get "in" with anybody at SCDPblahblahblah.

by Anonymousreply 9006/17/2013

[quote]Maureen Arthur specialized in playing bimbos.

Joan is very smart and powerful, but she is also at heart a bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 9106/17/2013

I believe you've said quite enough already, R90.

Now sit down and enjoy this lovely cup of Sanka I've prepared for you.

I said...now.

by Anonymousreply 9206/17/2013

A reminder that James Wolk is a regular on the Robin Williams CBS sitcom The Crazy Ones and he wouldn't have signed on for it unless he knew his time on Mad Men had drawn to a close. So next Sunday's finale will probably be the last time we see Bob.

by Anonymousreply 9306/17/2013

I was struck by how slim James Wolk (Bob) is tonight in his scenes with Pete. No wonder he wears all kinds of clothes so wonderfully well.

I want to see him all gayed out next week: all Christopher Street, BOYS IN THE BAND swinger.

by Anonymousreply 9406/17/2013

[quote]He was right to call them both out.

You misunderstood the entire episode if you think that.

by Anonymousreply 9506/17/2013

You have to realize the term "sociopath" is completely meaningless on datalounge. You're going to have to find a different term from now on--the sociopath troll ruined it for all of us for a while.

by Anonymousreply 9606/17/2013

Here's another look for Bob, kicking back after a long day at his fave watering hole, Julius.

Wait...does that look more like Sal?

by Anonymousreply 9706/17/2013

On Matt Weiner's commentary on the episode, he makes it clear that in this episode Don is being extraordinarily sadistic to Ted (and destroying him) because of his jealousy over Peggy and as a way of dealing with his guilt about Sally.

by Anonymousreply 9806/17/2013

I also love Joan's pointing out the cookies are from Ferrara's!!

by Anonymousreply 9906/17/2013

This is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 10006/17/2013

{83} my sister, the one who had the intervention from my family (well it was at a family gathering and it kind of came up and we all piled on) lived 20 miles from Manhattan, hardly a midwestern hausfrau. Btw she's 48 and still looks great. Very, very pretty woman._

by Anonymousreply 10106/17/2013

Harry's on the west coast and sealed up Sunkist. I SAID SUNKIST MOTHERFUCKERS!

by Anonymousreply 10206/17/2013

Speaking of retro, Sally is dressed like a fifth grader. The look was shetland cardigans, kilts and shirtwaist dresses like the Miss Porter's girls even though everyone ditched that stuff by 1969. The costume designer does research by finding vintage pieces from the wrong era or looking at magazines, which project what the magazine and advertisers hoped girls and women would wear, not what they actually did wear.

by Anonymousreply 10306/17/2013

There's a rumor that Bob is a government agent catching up with Don and his shady past. Just a rumor, though.

by Anonymousreply 10406/17/2013

Here's the sort of dress Sally would have worn. Designer is close but misses it. No way would Sally have let Betty dress her like a 6th grader.

by Anonymousreply 10506/17/2013

Peggy is so boring and unappealing sexually. I really hope Ted doesn't have an affair w/ her. Yuck. Such a mousey school girl. Don was hypocritical again, sabotaging an affair (even though it needed to be sabotaged) of a professional colleague when he himself has been such a skirt chaser. He definitely looked in a funk about Sally. I don't see why destroying Ted would help mollify his guilt about what Sally saw. Boost his "power"? In the boardroom meeting, it seemed Don put Peggy and Ted on the hot seat and in their places. Loved seeing them squirm and his knowing look.

by Anonymousreply 10606/17/2013

lol r100

by Anonymousreply 10706/17/2013

r98 - So? That doesn't mean it's how it came across to everyone.

Hilarious that Pete is finally poised for some real success by hitching his wagon to the new Don. Of course the old Don never had any use for Pete, so I guess Bob's unlikely infatuation with Pete is meant to explain why he won't flick Pete off his finger like old Don always has.

by Anonymousreply 10806/17/2013

OMG! The woman who was the principal at Sally's school was in All That Jazz. I used to watch that movie obsessively on cable as a teen mostly to see "My name is Autumn."

I don't know why I remember the name but I do, Deborah Geffner. She was the dancer who wasn't that good but Fosse/Gideon hired her because he was sleeping with her. She took her tiny little titties out as she climbed the stairs. The titties disturbed me. The were so little and puckery. I preferred Autumn.

by Anonymousreply 10906/17/2013

The actor who plays Bob is on the new Robin Williams sitcom so I guess he won't be back next season.

by Anonymousreply 11006/17/2013

You know the season is nearing an end when Glen Bishop pops up for his annual monotone.

by Anonymousreply 11106/17/2013

How gay was Glen's friend, Rolo?

by Anonymousreply 11206/17/2013

It looks as though Christina Hendricks, not Joan, was really laughing when Don did his "waaah waah" bit.

by Anonymousreply 11306/17/2013

The whole Bob/gay angle is rather soft. The gay storyline with Sal was quite gutsy.Exploring the conundrum Sal was in sexually. Bob seems like an opportunist more than anything else. He's also a plastic cunt.Can't wait for his phony ass to be gone next week.

by Anonymousreply 11406/17/2013

Is Manolo's last name Blanik?

by Anonymousreply 11506/17/2013

Alison Brie did two series at the same time, so James Wolk could too.

The one thing that stood out to me from last night was just how shitty that aspirin commercial was.

by Anonymousreply 11606/17/2013

[quote]Are there really a lot of apartment buildings as old as the Dakota in Montreal, as Megan said? That's an interesting detail.

Not so much apartment buildings as old stacked row houses with individual entrances.

by Anonymousreply 11706/17/2013

I have always seen Joan as Tina Louise and Peggy as Dawn Wells. Joan does need to cut her hair into a Ginger flip, or just grow her bangs out and go for the long straight hair which she can wear as a fashionable ponytail with a large ribbon.

by Anonymousreply 11806/17/2013

R49, the scenes for next week were just scenes from the season. They always do taht for the final episode every season, not one scene is revealed.

by Anonymousreply 11906/17/2013

119 posts and no comment yet that "Rosemary's Baby" was directed by Sharon Tate's husband, Roman Polanski?

Come on, you "Megan is Sharon Tate" theorists, get with it!

by Anonymousreply 12006/17/2013

Could someone explain something for me..

Why is Ted so bent on making sure he's the one bringing in all the accounts? I've noticed that there appears to be near code-like speak between him and the Harry Hamilin character.

Is Ted there to sabotage the firm or to run Don and company out or is it just competition?

I SO think Ted is going to end up being killed off soon, eliminating the challenge for Don.

by Anonymousreply 12106/17/2013

Article about James Wolk in Sunday NY Times Arts and Leisure yesterday. He talked about his new series and that he honestly didn't know (at the time of the interview) if his character on MM would return. He said he would do it if asked. He also talked about his scene in shorts..

I loved looking at those legs in those short shorts!

by Anonymousreply 12206/17/2013

[quote]I don't know why I remember the name but I do, Deborah Geffner. She was the dancer who wasn't that good but Fosse/Gideon hired her because he was sleeping with her. She took her tiny little titties out as she climbed the stairs. The titties disturbed me. The were so little and puckery. I preferred Autumn.

Geffner was also one of the replacements in A CHORUS LINE on Broadway I believe.

by Anonymousreply 12306/17/2013

R118 Peggy is Ginger in a Mary Ann like guise.Peggy can be a slut like vixen when she needs to be. As far as I know Peggy's fucked more guys in the office than Joan has.

R106 I agree on both counts. Don had to do what was best for the company. Peggy's shitting where she eats is pretty common with her. Ted's losing his mind and Don had to put a damper on things before it got out of control.

R120 The Rosemary's Baby references seemed so forced. Planet Of The apes was used in a far more subtle and clever way. I love both films but I think it was rather heavy handed in the way they used Rosemary's Baby in this episode.

R121 It seems like that was the arrangement at the old company. Yes there is competition between the parts of the company to a certain degree.There is tension between Don and ted and Ted's given Don ammunition in that regard.

As for Pete, he realizes that keeping Bob closer than throwing him to the wolves is to his great advantage. Pete might act like an entitled and spoiled cunt but he is not entirely clueless.

by Anonymousreply 12406/17/2013

I haven't watched Matt Weiner's after episode discussion. I can only go by what I saw, and how it came across to me. That's really the point with art, isn't it? The author/artist/filmmaker may have an intent, but once he articulates it, others receive it through the prism of their own experience, perceptions, and interpretation.

Art takes on a life and a meaning of it's own once it's exposed to others. I found Ted & Peggy's giddy behavior juvenile and annoying. Obviously Stan & Ginsberg did too.

When it got to the point,it busted the budget for the client, the client had to be notified. Someone had to pay. Would it be a "vanity expense" the agency would eat, or would the client agree to go over budget for this ad? Don't forget, it was Joan who pointed it out and started the ball rolling.

Don's point to Ted was,they weren't fooling anyone, and it was affecting the account. Don has his "moments of clarity" where he's the Don Draper of old, and yes, it may seem ruthless, but it was appropriate.

Peggy was angry, not only because she was protective of Ted, but because Don embarrassed her. Not to mention her ego was bruised and it was all wrapped in the "Clio potential" for this genius idea she just had.

Peggy can be just a ruthless as Don when you get down to it. She's found a "boss" she can run circles around in Ted, and she wants/needs someone to blow smoke up her rear and tell her how great she is, which Ted does, but Don rarely did.

If you don't believe Peggy gets a charge out of pitting Ted and Don against one another you're wrong. I think Peggy uses Ted as a weapon against Don, just as much as Don resents/is jealous of Ted.

Ted & Don are finding their way, tentatively learning how to work together. Ted may be a "good man" but he needs to toughen up.

How could he have risen so far,and not dealt with the kind of issues, for example, that Sunkist vs. Ocean Spray presented? Yes,their reputation is on the table, but that's a transient thing in that business.

My conclusion is so what if Don resents Peggy's allegiance and loyalty to Ted. He was right.

by Anonymousreply 12506/17/2013

The actor playing Bob will be back - how long do you think the frigging "new Robin Williams sitcom" will last?

by Anonymousreply 12606/17/2013

Loved MacDonald's olden arches and Rolo's sandals, which need to make a comeback.

MM has brought out the best in James Wolk and I want him to stay on the show as long as possible, but his Spanish really sucks. A character who is able to speak it that fast and furious should have a better command of the accent. His was too warbled and unintelligible, as if learned in a haste in his dressing room that morning.

by Anonymousreply 12806/17/2013

Never thought I'd miss creepy Glenn until I saw "bad boy" Glenn that all the girls can't resist.

by Anonymousreply 12906/17/2013

I'm beginning to think that the entire series was written so Sally and Glenn could go to Woodstock.

by Anonymousreply 13006/17/2013

Glenn looks like Alfred Molina.

by Anonymousreply 13106/17/2013

BTW. I don't think of Peggy as a "cunt" or a "slut". I also don't begrudge her any attempts she makes to manipulate circumstances so things accrue to her benefit. This is 1968, and the workplace was a very rough environment for any woman with ambition. I have a mother who survived it, and she loves the accuracy of that about Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 13206/17/2013

Is Vincent Kartheiser losing his hair, or is it only Pete Campbell who's going bald? In other words, is he just wearing a toupee for the part and he actually has a full head of hair beneath it?

by Anonymousreply 13306/17/2013

I've read that they shave Kartheiser's hairline but if you see him in public, he always has his hair shaggy and hanging over his eyes so he may be compensating.

by Anonymousreply 13406/17/2013

"Are there really a lot of apartment buildings as old as the Dakota in Montreal, as Megan said? That's an interesting detail."

There are a lot of old/er buildings but very few that actually have the grandeur of the Dakota.

by Anonymousreply 13506/17/2013

Kartheiser does shave his hairline back -- you can sometimes see the stubble where his hairline is supposedly receding.

by Anonymousreply 13606/17/2013

He wears it like that to cover up the part that is growing out, R134.

by Anonymousreply 13706/17/2013

So if the commercial is the "Dead Guy's Idea" does that mean Peggy's out a Clio?

by Anonymousreply 13806/17/2013

Peggy said they're not going to do the new commercial now.

by Anonymousreply 13906/17/2013

No r138. Peggy is the project's copywriter. Should it get a copywriting award or a best TV Commercial award, she'd rightfully get one of those (now defunct?) Clios.

by Anonymousreply 14006/17/2013

Soo sad to see Don look like a bloated whale- curled into fetal position. He was being sadistic. He goofs off all of the time and now is worried about $30K for a commercial.

Why did Joan get Don riled up?

by Anonymousreply 14106/17/2013

Betty was in excellent form this episode.

by Anonymousreply 14206/17/2013

Ha, they did it again. As soon as the woman at Miss Porter's called for Carla, I was expecting a Betty smackdown.

by Anonymousreply 14306/17/2013

Just because.

by Anonymousreply 14406/17/2013

Wolk and his character do nothing for me. He annoys the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 14606/17/2013

The fact that Bob Benson was formerly a servant suggests some interesting possibilities. For example, part of the Bob/Manolo backstory could be that they met when they both worked for the same wealthy family. Perhaps they were fired because they were caught fucking each other, or because they were a couple of grifters who got caught ripping off their employer?

It also makes Bob's crush on Pete on a bit more plausible. He must have immediately sensed that Pete was a blueblood, and maybe Pete reminded him of a former employer he'd been in love with. Also, keep in mind that Bob doesn't know all the shitty things Pete has done over the years, which we viewers know all too well.

by Anonymousreply 14706/17/2013

Or Bob was starting to work up a scam on Pete, and misread some signals. Or better yet, read them correctly. I don't think love was on Bob's mind at all.

by Anonymousreply 14806/17/2013

[quote]OMG! The woman who was the principal at Sally's school was in All That Jazz. I used to watch that movie obsessively on cable as a teen mostly to see "My name is Autumn."

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 14906/17/2013

You may be right, R148. I haven't made up my mind yet about whether Bob was genuinely crushing on Pete or attempting to set him up in some sleazy quasi-blackmail scenario.

by Anonymousreply 15006/17/2013

r150

I think that he is a grifter. He is trying to set him up. I do not think he is gay. He read Pete wrong.

by Anonymousreply 15106/17/2013

I don't get the Kiernan Shipka love this season. Yes, she's been remarkable as Sally in previous seasons but this season her delivery of lines has been flat and her facial expressions have been goofy and uncomfortable. She's definitely hit the awkward years. It just seems to me that now she's a blank which many viewers are projecting shit on which isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 15206/17/2013

I was starting to give up on MM until Bob Benson arrived. He's a great character, as evidenced by the discussion on this board -- we've been watching him for a season and we still don't know if he's gay, straight, a grifter, an ambitious young man, or some form of Don Draper as a 20-something.

At first I thought Wolk wasn't much of an actor but last night, when his persona shifted from grinning kiss-ass to serious shit, he was great. Reminded me of the shift in Naomi Watts' Mulholland Drive character when she was all smiles and cuteness and then she did that audition all dangerous sexy and you saw for the first time that she wasn't at all what we thought she was.

by Anonymousreply 15306/17/2013

Agree, R153. The moment when Bob abruptly shifts from sycophancy to "come at me, bro" was chilling. And then in a heartbeat, the mask is back in place. This is not a guy to be fucked with - much tougher than Don has ever been.

by Anonymousreply 15406/17/2013

and r154, it also helps that James Wolk is a much better actor than Jon Hamm.

The series would have been even better if James Wolk had played Don Draper.

by Anonymousreply 15506/17/2013

James Wolk a better actor than Jon Hamm? Lol!

by Anonymousreply 15606/17/2013

The Talented Mr Benson

by Anonymousreply 15706/17/2013

Bob is now giving me a very "Talented Mr Ripley" vibe .. and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 15806/17/2013

Oh wow R157 - we typed that at the same time..

Great minds..

by Anonymousreply 15906/17/2013

I'd disagree about Hamm's acting, R155. I think he's great, especially when Don gets to show his vulnerable side. Really felt for him in the final scene.

I do like that Bob's sycophancy is clearly an act. When Pete threatens him, he doesn't plead or beg, just waits to see what reaction will work best. (Contrast that to poor Kenny weeping over Chevy.) It's refreshing to see a gay character who's got iron control of his emotions, except for quick flashes of anger.

I hope Bob doesn't disappear altogether. He's been a highlight of this season for me.

by Anonymousreply 16006/17/2013

R160, if there's anything Weiner's great at it's getting rid of fan favorites. My favorite Don line reading is when he and Betty finally broke up in their bedroom and he says something about her being a terrible mother. Yes, now I hate Megan and look forward to Betty's scenes.

by Anonymousreply 16106/17/2013

[r155] outside of the fact that Wolk is way too young to be Don/Dick

by Anonymousreply 16306/17/2013

Bob was really creeping me out last night when Pete confronted him - he seemed so sinister beneath the surface, like Roman Castevet in Rosemary's Baby.

by Anonymousreply 16406/17/2013

[quote] On Matt Weiner's commentary on the episode, he makes it clear that in this episode Don is being extraordinarily sadistic to Ted (and destroying him) because of his jealousy over Peggy and as a way of dealing with his guilt about Sally.

Oh MARY. Seriously, that was Ted "being destroyed"? Looked like he was being embarrassed to me.

by Anonymousreply 16606/17/2013

Batt has always been hoping he'd be asked back so I am sure he keeps his mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 16706/17/2013

I agree that Ted and Peggy's idea wasn't all that great and that it would have been foolish to go way over budget to produce the commercial. But the way Don humiliated Ted and Peggy in front of the client *was* sadistic. That pause he took, when it seemed like he might reveal their relationship, was cruel. He was needlessly fucking with them.

Why didn't he discuss with them beforehand the fact that he was going to lie and say it was the dead partner's idea? Ted and Peggy wouldn't have liked that but it would have saved them needless anxiety.

At this point, Don's only role seems to be destructive -- to kill other people's ideas. When was the last time he came up with a good idea himself? As a creative force, he seems to be spent -- at least temporarily.

by Anonymousreply 16806/17/2013

Because R168, Ted & Peggy were so giddy, in a world of their own, neither was susceptible to reason. If Don had taken Ted aside, Ted would've argued with him, and if he'd proposed they attribute it to The Dead Guy, Ted would have felt like Don was taking something from Peggy and he'd have charged into the wall defending her.

Ted may be creative, but he's not a strategic thinker, he's not shrewd, and as Don pointed out, his judgment was impaired. Don was using shock therapy. It was ugly, and embarrassing, but I don't get cruel and sadistic.

I have to hand it to Joan. No one seems to be noticing her. This one was very deft on her part. If she'd wanted to be supportive to Peggy, constructive, she would have taken her aside and told her about the budget issues and suggested Peggy come up with a solution or revise her expectations. Instead, she raised it in an exasperated fashion with Don. That Joanie bears watching. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 16906/17/2013

[r167] Why would he want to go back then?

by Anonymousreply 17106/17/2013

I think it was one of the best eps of the season, and coincidentally one of the few scripts that Weiner didn't co-write/doctor.

by Anonymousreply 17206/17/2013

[quote]Oh MARY. Seriously, that was Ted "being destroyed"?

That was what Peggy and Matt Weiner both said. Don't agree? Take it up with them.

by Anonymousreply 17306/17/2013

"This one was very deft on her part. If she'd wanted to be supportive to Peggy, constructive, she would have taken her aside and told her about the budget issues and suggested Peggy come up with a solution or revise her expectations"

Bingo - Joan WOULD have definitely done that, but after the shocking and hurtful (to Joan) lack of support she received regarding Avon, she told Don immediately.

by Anonymousreply 17606/17/2013

Lack of support? Peggy saved Joan's ass during the Avon debacle.

by Anonymousreply 17706/17/2013

Ted deserved everything he got this episode for still being a little bitch six months later after, literally, everyone else has gotten over it.

Ted and Peggy just have guilty consciences. That's why they're pissed.

by Anonymousreply 17806/17/2013

[quote]At this point, Don's only role seems to be destructive -- to kill other people's ideas. When was the last time he came up with a good idea himself?

His Heinz and Chevy pitches were amazingly good and truly ahead of their time.

And, by the way, Don did NOT kill the Rosemary's Baby idea - just the opposite. Without Don, the ad would not have been made at ALL because the client was not buying anything Ted and Peggy had to say - because their heads truly are not on business and because they are not as creative, smart or confident as Don is.

by Anonymousreply 17906/17/2013

The Rosemary's Baby idea is awful.

by Anonymousreply 18006/17/2013

Not only did Don not kill Rosemary's Baby, he got them another $10,000. The original budget for the commercial was $15K. They went up to $25K. The fact is, Don showed them how it's done. Keep your eye on the goal, which, in this case was to get approval for the ad and a bigger budget.

You say what you need to say to get the client to "Yes." So Don lied. But it wasn't a bad lie. He didn't lie about something important, he just played on the client's sympathies. Peggy often tries to imitate Don in her presentations, but she really doesn't "get" Don. No one is like Don. Joan and Roger & Bert Cooper know that.

by Anonymousreply 18206/17/2013

[quote]Don's point to Ted was,they weren't fooling anyone, and it was affecting the account. Don has his "moments of clarity" where he's the Don Draper of old, and yes, it may seem ruthless, but it was appropriate. Peggy was angry, not only because she was protective of Ted, but because Don embarrassed her. Not to mention her ego was bruised and it was all wrapped in the "Clio potential" for this genius idea she just had. Peggy can be just a ruthless as Don when you get down to it. She's found a "boss" she can run circles around in Ted, and she wants/needs someone to blow smoke up her rear and tell her how great she is, which Ted does, but Don rarely did.

Spot on analysis, r125.

I don't know what is dumber (or more insane): the Megan is Sharon Tate conspiracy theory or suggesting that perhaps Bob Benson is a future Watergate burglar (per r90).

by Anonymousreply 18306/17/2013

I guess we'll find out something about Joan and Avon next week, although whatever we find out is likely to be unsatisfactory.

by Anonymousreply 18406/17/2013

I think this was the best Mad Men ever.

by Anonymousreply 18506/17/2013

[quote]A reminder that James Wolk is a regular on the Robin Williams CBS sitcom The Crazy Ones and he wouldn't have signed on for it unless he knew his time on Mad Men had drawn to a close. So next Sunday's finale will probably be the last time we see Bob.

Not true. They shoot at different times of the year.

by Anonymousreply 18606/17/2013

It was just as much if not more about Don getting the best of Ted as it was for the good of the business. He did not have to do what he did surreptitiously. He resents Ted and thus his relationship with Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 18706/17/2013

What did Don do exactly??? He saved the commercial when Ted couldn't. It's not like he even revealed the truth, he just exploited the memory of a dead guy. Which is exactly what you would expect Don to do. That's why Ted asked Don to back him up right? Did he ask Don Draper for help expecting him to not be Don Draper? That's absurd.

Everyone got what they wanted, but Ted and Peggy are butt hurt cuz Don had their feelings figured out before they did.

by Anonymousreply 18806/17/2013

The tension was unbearable for me when Don pulled his stunt. Ted played embarrassed very well which isn't easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 18906/17/2013

I don't think I can watch the hippie thrill killings next week. Surely they won't be too graphic? Maybe just implied?

by Anonymousreply 19006/17/2013

Everybody talks about Pete's gun, but I'm more worried about Ted's plane. Don't get on that plane, Bob!

by Anonymousreply 19106/17/2013

The "Rosemary's Baby" commercial idea sounds awful, and it was meant to. Ted is so in love with Peggy that he was deluded into thinking it was good.

But Don behaved as he did at the meeting not to save them from their own bad idea, but rather to humiliate the teo of them pubicly. He knew the commercial would be too expensive for St. Joseph's, so he sent the budget to the St. Joseph's guy (Byron) to force a meeting with him, himself, Ted, Betty and Joan. Ted and Peggy had to squirm when Don said, "For Ted, this is personal" and waited a beat before he told the lie that it was Gleason's idea--and Ted and Peggy knew exactly what Don was implying before Don took the beat, and knew that everyone in the room (except the St. Joseph's guy) did too. Once the idea for doing the "Rosemary's Baby" commercial was presented as only a sentimental tribute to Frank Gleason's memory (and thus unworthy of really being made), there would be no way Ted and Peggy could ever really go ahead with it: they knew they would be the laughing stock of the offices if they did. That's what Peggy meant when Don said she could go ahead with the commercial and she responded, "You killed the commercial. You killed everything. You're a monster." She knew Ted had been so humiliated he would run back to his wife, and their affair seems over because of Don humiliating them both. Don had killed their affair.

Don did not pull this stunt to save the agency from a bad idea, but to get back at Peggy for deserting him for Ted--seeing them at the movies together deeply wounded him because that used to be the thing HE did with Peggy. And of course by getting back at his "work daughter," he's also getting back at Sally, his real daughter, for abandoning him too.

What he didn't realize was that Peggy would call him out on this mean little stunt: "You're a monster." So he was sent into a fetal position on the couch at the end (just as he was in a fetal position on Sally's bed at the very beginning).

by Anonymousreply 19206/17/2013

R192... :-/

by Anonymousreply 19306/17/2013

R192

by Anonymousreply 19406/17/2013

Curiously, so many Mad Men viewers think it's totally fine and even romantic for every character EXCEPT for Don to have extramarital and/or ill-advised affairs.

The hypocrisy incredibly annoying.

by Anonymousreply 19506/17/2013

Don does seen kind of like a monster. He manipulates people and many of those people are wise enough to see it, as he's doing it.

by Anonymousreply 19606/17/2013

I really did not understand what went down between Bob and Pete.

When Pete said he had seen it before...was he talking about Don?

by Anonymousreply 19706/17/2013

What pisses me off is, now Peggy won't be able to get The Cleo for the commercial.

by Anonymousreply 19806/17/2013

Um, I assumed Bob was actually fucking his boss when he was a man servant. I figured his employer was happy to give him a recommendation, as long as he stayed in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 19906/17/2013

Of course Peggy's behavior was very common in the '60s but if other women heard about it, she would have been referred to as a slut, even though she is one of the bosses.

by Anonymousreply 20006/17/2013

So Don's secret gay son grew up a hillbilly in West Virginia and then worked as a rentboy, errr, manservant and lied about it all on his resume.

by Anonymousreply 20106/18/2013

[quote]Curiously, so many Mad Men viewers think it's totally fine and even romantic for every character EXCEPT for Don to have extramarital and/or ill-advised affairs.

Peggy is a slut, but Don is a playa.

by Anonymousreply 20206/18/2013

Where did Don grow up?

by Anonymousreply 20306/18/2013

R197 - Yes.

And there's a new Dick Nixon (tanned and ready) in Bob.

by Anonymousreply 20406/18/2013

Central Pennsylvania

by Anonymousreply 20506/18/2013

R205 - Yes. I don't think Bob and Don are closely related. Bob is just Don 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 20606/18/2013

I didn't understand why Don suddenly changed his mind about Sunkist and Oceam Spray after seeing Peggy and Ted at the movies. He had just told the guy in California to drop Sunkist as it was a conflict with Ocean Spray before meeting Ted and Peggy at the movies. He didn't know about the terrible St. Joseph asprin commercial till later.

by Anonymousreply 20706/18/2013

He pulled the Sunkist shit because he knew he had dirt on Ted. Also a bit of jealousy and power play needs to be factored in. I think it's safe to say that when Don feels bad about himself he wants others to feel like shit too. I wouldn't be shocked if Ted quits now. Would he run away with Peggy?

This is one of the few episodes I've enjoyed this season. Betty offering Sally a smoke and using the classic "I'd rather you did it here and not behind my back" line was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 20806/18/2013

R192 = teaches 1st grade.

by Anonymousreply 20906/18/2013

What happened to the Virginia Slims thing last year with Peggy?

by Anonymousreply 21006/18/2013

Don may be a pain in the ass and vindictive but Ted is no saint; he's proven himself to be a baby when he doesn't get what he wants. A few seasons ago, Ted and his cronies crank called Don pretending to be Bobby Kennedy just to humiliate him.

That's not the kind of behavior Don would pull.

by Anonymousreply 21106/18/2013

The shock for next episode will be Pete topping Benson in his office. Ted will walk in and have a hard attack! The three go at it and an orgy is born. Peggy finds out leaves in disgust and quits the ad business. Megan's teefs have a role somewhere in there but Matt Weiner just did a rewrite and Megan might be making out with Joanna Going or hitting Don with a frying pan.

by Anonymousreply 21206/18/2013

Sorry, I think the Peggy/Ted centric people are missing an important point. Everyone in that office knew about Peggy & Ted. They weren't fooling anyone. Stan, Ginsberg, Joan, Roger, Bert, Pete Campbell, everyone. How long before that kind of gossip seeps out into the atmosphere and the St. Joseph guy or other clients find out?

Again, I say Don might have indulged in some "shock therapy" and yes, he embarrassed them, but he wasn't cruel & Sadistic. Peggy calling him a monster and accusing him of killing the ad and ruining everything was her ego, her temper, and her embarrassment talking. She was pissed. I'd be too.

But that doesn't make her right, and I'm betting Don is going to make it up to her and to Ted. That's also his way. He does nice things for people he can't stand all the time. Even Pete Campbell & Harry can attest to that.

And how can we say the decision to go with Sunkist over Ocean Spray was because, again, it involves Ted? The fact is, Harry ignored them, and got a bundle of cash from Sunkist. If Don had gone behind everyone's back and told Harry to keep going with Sunkist, then I'd ascribe malicious intent to Don, but he didn't.

Harry bulldozed his way thru everything, and put hard cash on the table. This is the highly competitive world of advertising not high school. Maybe Ted, Peggy & Pete will leave and start their own company. But Bob Benson won't leave.

by Anonymousreply 21306/18/2013

And if you're in New York, "Film Forum" is screening "Rosemary's Baby" for a week starting June 28th.

by Anonymousreply 21406/18/2013

Don-Dick will fuck over anyone and everyone. He's a narcissist and has no empathy for anyone - including his wife and kids.

by Anonymousreply 21506/18/2013

Don did what he did for personal reasons but he also did them for business reasons as well. The Rosemarty's Baby idea was so illl conceived they needed something to bail them out. Draper afforded them that opportunity. He addressed them down a bit but when one comes up with a stupid idea like that what did they expect?

I was half joking about the orgy but can you imagine if Weiner had a gay couple being caught in the act? Just like Roger and Teefy's Mom. Or Don and Sylvia? This time break tradition(Sally's been through enough really) and have Peggy find them out. I would love for Peggy to call Pete,Stan,Don, Ted or Bob, a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 21606/18/2013

This show is such a soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 21706/18/2013

[r217] so what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 21806/18/2013

Weiner did have a gay couple caught in the act. Don caught Sal going at the bellhop in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 21906/18/2013

I enjoyed all of the episode except for the return of Glenn Bishop....

by Anonymousreply 22006/18/2013

There's a definite overlap between Mad Men and The Crazy Ones, R186. The Crazy Ones, like most standard sitcoms, will go from August until mid April. Mad Men generally shoots from November to March.

You forget that Wolk is UNDER CONTRACT to CBS now. He can't be a regular on an AMC show. The Alison Brie situation isn't comparable because she's had a smaller role on MM.

by Anonymousreply 22106/18/2013

Bob Benson is really my brother Clete Cooney. We are brothers from the Cooneys of West Virginia. And we were also lovers. He kissed real good.

by Anonymousreply 22206/18/2013

That was the third season, R219.

by Anonymousreply 22306/18/2013

We don't know how much they will use Bob Benson next season. He's not a main character. He's a Trudy or a Stan or a Harry or Kenny. The main characters drive story he'll be a small player who's in the mix.

I can't see Wolk's tv show making it impossible for him to continue playing Bob Benson. Wolk and Alison Brie are both contract roles on primetime shows thus they likely have the same deal when it comes to Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 22406/18/2013

I would guess part of the reason Weiner had Pete and Trudy separate was so he didn't have to worry about working out Alison Brie's availability for most of this season and next. Although I hugely miss her (she's probably my favorite character on the show), I do think Pete's own storyline this season have been much more interesting than that soapy one last season with the girl from "Gilmore Girls." Plus it's allowed room for Channing Chase to come back as Pete's mother, who has always been one of my favorite characters on the show. Remember when she was so formidable the second season when Pete's dad died and when she was forbidding Pete and Trudy to adopt? Now she's sort of lovable and daffy.

by Anonymousreply 22506/18/2013

[r221] Actors do things like that all the time.

by Anonymousreply 22606/18/2013

She isn't lovable to Pete. Isn't Pete moving to Detroit?

by Anonymousreply 22706/18/2013

I can't believe Glen is old enough to have chest hair now.

by Anonymousreply 22806/18/2013

R219 Thanks for reminding me it was in season three though.Yeah but it wasn't as graphic as the hetty hookups were.I'm talking about what Teefy's Mom and roger were doing(a blow job). An anal penetration scene would be a hoot.I miss Sal. I hope they do a whatever happened to Sal episode next season.

R226 If CBS gives permission to let Wolk do Mad Men. Sometimes producers and the network can be assholes about things like that. I won't miss him, Bob's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 22906/18/2013

But Brie was on "Mad Men" before she was on "Community" so maybe they worked something out.

Judging from the clip of "The Crazy Ones" I saw on "The View," it may not be a hit. In one scene, Kelly Clarkson and Wolk are supposed to be singing in a studio and Clarkson's supposed to be so turned on that Sarah Michelle-Gellar worries Clarkson will have an orgasm live.

But Clarkson and Wolk seem to be generating no heat whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 23006/18/2013

Very few network TV series last even a full season these days.

Chances are very good that the CBS show will be cancelled before the next season of MM starts shooting.

James was the lead on a TV series that only aired one episode before being cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 23106/18/2013

[quote]James was the lead on a TV series that only aired one episode before being cancelled.

Lone Star? It was two episodes, thank you very much! And they were excruciatingly awful. But oh my god, he was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 23206/18/2013

I think of him as garden variety "good lucking," not "gorgeous."

There is something off about his face.

by Anonymousreply 23306/18/2013

How could the "Rosemary's Baby" commercial idea even be attributed to Frank Gleason when he likely died before the film even came out?

by Anonymousreply 23406/18/2013

The St. Joseph's guy may not know that specificity in dates. He may just be aware there was a former partner of the firm, Frank Gleason, who recently died, and that's all he knows.

by Anonymousreply 23506/18/2013

Also: the book was a huge bestseller and came out before Gleason died, and it ends with the same scene with the coven (and the Japanese photographer) crowding around the baby's crib. he could have assumed Frank came up with the idea from the book.

by Anonymousreply 23606/18/2013

Weiner must be furious at all of this furor and interest in Bob Bensen. I'll bet he get's even with us by killing Bob off in some sort of Pacino "Crusing" scene where Bob turns out to be a gay killer who rapes and then kills his straight victims. The tables get turned and Bob is killed in self-defense by Pete, Don or Stan.

by Anonymousreply 23706/18/2013

The film version of Rosemary's Baby was released on June 12, 1968. Since this episode appears to have taken place some time after RFK's assassination referenced in a previous episode (June 6), it's not unthinkable that Frank might have been aware of the film's impact on pop culture before he died. In other words, Rosemary's Baby hadn't necessarily just come out when this episode took place.

by Anonymousreply 23806/18/2013

Why would Weiner be furious as to the interest in Bob Benson? He should have expected us to be intrigued when he created such an obvious double for Don Draper. That was pretty obvious from Bob's first episode where he was trying to get on everyone's good side. It was fairly clear that Bob wasn't really who he presented himself to be. Heck, a lot of us picked up on him being a con man/fake like Don who created/stole an identity to become someone different. Weiner will likely love that fans are intrigued with old Bob.

by Anonymousreply 23906/18/2013

Dinasaurs?

by Anonymousreply 24006/18/2013

But wasn't Frank Gleason in a hospital dying for several months before he actually passed? Not much time to catch up on popular culture. I'm not saying it's impossible, but something about the timeline seems suspect if the Johnson guy were to ever tease that out. Really, a very minor nitpick in an otherwise excellent episode.

Also, Don has been really awful to Peggy this whole season and much of last season (remember when he threw money in her face like she was a whore?) What always interests me about their relationship is how much he takes to heart her opinion of him.

by Anonymousreply 24106/18/2013

Is Don headed for suicide?

by Anonymousreply 24206/18/2013

That's what I think...

by Anonymousreply 24306/18/2013

Hamm is probably sick of the show by now and wants off - next year is the last year anyway, right? So he can write an episode or two and direct some to still stay involved.

Bob Benson may be the new center of the show.

by Anonymousreply 24406/18/2013

Even if the timeline is off, and Gleason hadn't seen Rosemary's Baby, Don may not have calculated this when crafting his lie on the spot.

I mean, it was a lie, so all bets are off as to 'timeline of events'..

by Anonymousreply 24506/18/2013

Ad awards aren't given to just one person. An entire team would be recognized.

by Anonymousreply 24606/18/2013

Elizabeth Moss is a really over rated actress imho. And Vincent Cartheiser is supremely unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 24706/18/2013

Just being Nancy Nitpick, R245. You're totally right.

by Anonymousreply 24806/18/2013

Vincent Kartheiser always acts as if he is in a high school play. He's the worst in the show, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 24906/18/2013

I think Vincent is handsome.

by Anonymousreply 25006/18/2013

They kind of made it seem like Gleason had died before the film even came out.

Anyway, Don has been a bitch and completely fucked up. I think before the end of next season he'll die or join a commune.

by Anonymousreply 25106/18/2013

Is Pete moving to Detroit or not?

by Anonymousreply 25206/18/2013

R219 - Don caught Sal in the act in the first episode of he third season.

by Anonymousreply 25306/18/2013

Don treats Peggy like he treats everyone else. It's such bullshit to say that she gets treated so badly or much worse than anyone else in the office.

r242 you all ask that after every single episode in every single season. It's as tired as "Megan's gonna hurl herself off the balcony!!!!!1"

by Anonymousreply 25406/18/2013

r197, just stop watching the show. It's concept is obviously far too advanced for you.

by Anonymousreply 25506/18/2013

I didn't say Megan is going to hurl herself off the balcony.

She might slip or be pushed.

by Anonymousreply 25606/18/2013

Oh boy - r255, brace yourself. When you're that critical, snobbish, if not outright mean, about someone's comprehension skills, it helps to check every word you write for proper spelling and grammar.

by Anonymousreply 25706/18/2013

r203 he was born and grew up in or near Illinois (KS, MO, OK, KY). Somewhere in the plains/midwest. After Archie Whitman was killed by the horse, they moved to central Pennsylvania to live with step-bitch's sister and Uncle Mack in the whore house when Don was about 11 years old.

by Anonymousreply 25806/18/2013

A stray apostrophe is hardly equivalent to missing a major plot point around which the entire program has been revolving (and not to mention all of the other moronic posts from the same person), r257, but thank you for your concern.

by Anonymousreply 25906/18/2013

It's always great when an asshole like R255 reveals himself to be a supreme idiot in the very same post.

by Anonymousreply 26006/18/2013

This may be a stupid question, but is there anybody on this show who is likeable? I can't think of one.

Even daytime soaps have characters that are supposed to be the good ones.

by Anonymousreply 26106/18/2013

[quote]A stray apostrophe is hardly equivalent to missing a major plot point around which the entire program has been revolving

You're new here, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 26206/18/2013

R261, I like Pete. I guess I have low standards. He's sort of an underdog and VK him sort of endearing.

I don't actually dislike anyone on the show. Good guys are boring.

by Anonymousreply 26306/18/2013

[quote] This may be a stupid question, but is there anybody on this show who is likeable?

Bobby Draper

Grandma Ida

Arnold the Doorman

Lotus

And that's just from this season alone!

by Anonymousreply 26406/18/2013

[r244] Hamm is just fine with the show. There's only one more season anyway.

by Anonymousreply 26506/18/2013

Carla

by Anonymousreply 26606/18/2013

Likeable: Sally, Bobby, Trudy, Peggy (at times), Joan (at times)

by Anonymousreply 26706/18/2013

[quote] is there anybody on this show who is likeable?

Very secondary characters, whose complexity were are deprived from --- or whose social position almost makes it a crime for Hollywood writers to make them unlikeable:

Dawn

Carla

Bert Cooper

Joyce the Lesbian

Kurt Smith the gay German consultant

Rachel Menken

Precious Kitty with the Baby Doll

Death Defying Doorman

Alcoholic Copy Chief who was in Dharma and Greg

...and then there's the hysterical goofballs:

Ida Blankenship

Oblivious Meredith

Lawnmower Lois

Smoking Pregnant Next-Door Neighbor

etc.

by Anonymousreply 26806/18/2013

[r237] Do you actually read what you post?

by Anonymousreply 26906/18/2013

R267 Peggy and Joan are big time cunts. They are no better than Don,Roger,Pete or the rest of them. They crawl in the gutter just like the other sleazebags on the show.Dogs fuck on sidewalks and on streets so I guess Roger and Joan are hound like then! Peggy fucked Duck!?! Lord love a duck, who in heaven's name would have fucked Duck?

Sylvia's doctor husband seems like a nice guy. Then again some nutty anti-Semite will bring up his Jewishness and some obscure fact that makes him some sort of cunt too!

by Anonymousreply 27006/18/2013

were are deprived from >>> we are deprived of

by Anonymousreply 27106/18/2013

The Jewish guy at the firm is kind of likable.

by Anonymousreply 27206/18/2013

R272 He's an irritating asshole. He's not as skeevy as the rest of the crew BUT he's Lenny Bruce lite.

by Anonymousreply 27306/18/2013

Michael Ginsberg, as adorable as he can be, is an angry gnat withy paranoid schizophrenic delusions - hardly the likeable, easy-going type.

Stan is a bit of a chauvinist but all in all a good friend.

by Anonymousreply 27406/18/2013

Don's African American secretary is a doll.

by Anonymousreply 27506/18/2013

r261 I think the writer purposely tries to write all of the characters as complex and "unlikeable" We aren't really supposed to root for anyone.

That said I like Betty and Joan although they can be bitchy and frustrating at times.

by Anonymousreply 27706/18/2013

Look at this season's poster.

by Anonymousreply 27806/18/2013

r278: And your point would be....?

by Anonymousreply 27906/18/2013

When has Sally ever been likable?

by Anonymousreply 28006/18/2013

r278 - maybe the rumors about Don Draper getting busted for his false identity are true!

by Anonymousreply 28106/18/2013

Ted and Dawn are nice! I love Dawn's "good girl" outfits. No go-go boots for her.

by Anonymousreply 28206/18/2013

Vincent Karthesier looks better in real life, the 60's period look does not flatter him at all on the show.

by Anonymousreply 28306/18/2013

I always thought VK as Pete Campbell looks like PeeWee Herman.

by Anonymousreply 28406/18/2013

Mother Francis is a hoot, I wish we could see more of her.

by Anonymousreply 28506/18/2013

The opening credits are set against the backdrop of a man falling outside a building so suicide has been foreshadowed from the beginning of the show. Do you think Weiner has always had this ending in mind? On another note, Pete has won me over completely. He's funny when he gets upset and although I started out hating him, as I said, he has won me over.

by Anonymousreply 28606/18/2013

R286 - I like Vincent's playing of Pete, but the character is slimy.

by Anonymousreply 28706/18/2013

Wolk is co-starring on The Crazy Ones with, uhh, Robin Williams. There is absolutely no fucking way that show will be cancelled in its first season unless he croaks in the middle of it. Zero chance. Use your common sense. Williams is the biggest star to return to sitcoms in many years. Wolk could get fired from it, I guess, but that's doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 28806/18/2013

I think Kartheiser is terrific on the show. I will miss his scenes with Trudy. He always had great chemistry with Alison Brie (who apparently ain't ever coming back).

And yes, I think there's a falling man (suicide? or no?) but I don't think it's Don.

by Anonymousreply 28906/18/2013

Robin Williams return to TV will be a total disaster like the last Lucy series that got cancelled and ruined her career. Robin Williams is just TOO OLD. Nobody is interested in him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 29006/19/2013

There is going to be a suicide - somebody is going to die. Weiner is playing with us - we'll see on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 29106/19/2013

[quote]Is Pete moving to Detroit or not?

No one is moving to Detroit. Pete will travel back and forth as required, just as Ken had been doing. He's not going to live there.

by Anonymousreply 29206/19/2013

R290, it doesn't matter if you think he's too old. CBS has a lot riding on The Crazy Ones and Robin Williams. No matter how bad it is the network will not pull the plug on it until it completes one season, at the very earliest.

by Anonymousreply 29306/19/2013

Predictions -

Megan will file for divorce from Don.

by Anonymousreply 29406/19/2013

What does the Robin Williams sitcom (Please. No.) have to do with anything regarding Bob Benson's fate on Mad Men? Can't Wolk do both shows? Alison Brie appears on Community as well as Mad Men. Scheduling and all, ya know.

Just asking.

by Anonymousreply 29506/19/2013

R295, Trudy's entire storyline has been dictated by her role on Community. It is first position, which means it has complete scheduling priority over her recurring role on Mad Men. Since they can only use her a little, they moved her to Connecticut, and separated her from Pete.

With Wolk as a series a regular on a CBS show, it means you will necessarily see very little of Bob next season, if anything. Even if they move heaven and earth to involve him, it won't be more than a footprint akin to Brie's.

by Anonymousreply 29606/19/2013

[quote]There is absolutely no fucking way that show will be cancelled in its first season unless he croaks in the middle of it. Zero chance. Use your common sense.

That's what we were told!

by Anonymousreply 29706/19/2013

There already was an ad exec suicide!

I think the falling man image is just that - an image. A semi-figurative one (both literally and figuratively - as the art work is semi-figurative and the imagery is as well).

Sort of a semi-figure within a semi-figure.

by Anonymousreply 29806/19/2013

Boring. Snooze.

by Anonymousreply 29906/19/2013

Was Rollo the actor who played the little boy in the movie 'Stepmother' with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon?

by Anonymousreply 30006/19/2013

I think Joan was a little jealous of how smitten Ted was acting over Peggy and that's why she brought up the budget to Don.

by Anonymousreply 30106/19/2013

I don't understand the love for Sally, in real life most of you posters would give her a vicious slap.

by Anonymousreply 30206/19/2013

Interesting R278: look at the prominent role of the police in the poster.

by Anonymousreply 30306/19/2013

[quote] is there anybody on this show who is likeable?

No love for Pete's loyal secretary Clara?

by Anonymousreply 30406/19/2013

Everyone has their moments, some more so than others as far as likeability. The show, IMO depicts people with all their flaws. This is the culture of that Ad agency during that era.

I think Bert Cooper is likeable as far as that goes. I think the point is that good people often do things that are not "nice." Or bad. Everyone's just struggling to get through it.

If I worked in that office, I'd probably work in creative. I'd hang out with Stan and Ginsberg, for lunch, maybe drinks after work once in a great while, and I'd try to stay on Joan's and Peggy's good side. I'd work my ass off and hope to be left alone buy the big shots. I'd pick up early on that Ted, while "nice" has no corporate clout.

by Anonymousreply 30506/19/2013

Does the poster suggest - thunder/lighning - muuurder! - and Don running from the scene?

by Anonymousreply 30606/19/2013

[quote]Was Rollo the actor who played the little boy in the movie 'Stepmother' with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon?

'Stepmom.' Looks like him, though IMDb doesn't have the 'Mad Men' episode listed.

He's 23 now, so it's OK to perv on him.

by Anonymousreply 30706/19/2013

[quote]No love for Pete's loyal secretary Clara?

She's been zoning in on Pete for a while now, and his divorce papers haven't even been served. Though she seems hard-working, likeable, and willing to play the subservient role that Pete craves so much from others, there is no absence of malice with Clara.

by Anonymousreply 30806/19/2013

It is him, r300 and r307. I don't know why I went ahead and read the end credits this week (I never do), and Liam Aiken is listed as Rolo. I remember well because it made me wonder if there was any relation to Clay.

by Anonymousreply 30906/19/2013

Fun fact-Liam Aiken was director Chris Columbus' choice for Harry Potter but he was outvoted by those (like the author) who strongly insisted it should be a British child in the role.

by Anonymousreply 31006/19/2013

I am even more in love with Glenn Bishop now. What a stud.

by Anonymousreply 31106/19/2013

[quote]I am even more in love with Glenn Bishop now. What a stud.

I can see why.

by Anonymousreply 31206/20/2013

I wonder if Weiner was initially aware that his son's character was being assigned a name almost identical to that of a nude model of the fifties (I'm sure he knows by now, what with all the MM freaks that keep tab on everything).

by Anonymousreply 31306/20/2013

Joan's gag reaction was the same as most of the other staffers who had to witness Peggy & Ted's flirting, r301. She brought up the budget because she looks after the books. That she brought it up with Don instead of Peggy or Ted is probably a little payback to them over Avon.

by Anonymousreply 31406/20/2013

R315 - Stop spamming.

by Anonymousreply 31506/20/2013

[quote]The opening credits are set against the backdrop of a man falling outside a building so suicide has been foreshadowed from the beginning of the show. Do you think Weiner has always had this ending in mind?

Hmmm, lemme think: that's only been mentioned 6,782 times on DataLounge alone. It's only the single most obvious conclusion to the show imaginable, but what an utterly BRILLIANT insight, dearie!

[quote]There is absolutely no fucking way that show will be cancelled in its first season unless he croaks in the middle of it. Zero chance. Use your common sense. Williams is the biggest star to return to sitcoms in many years.

Oh, the naivete. Sitcom megastars Kelsey Grammer and John Ratzenberger, and film megastars like Glenn Close and Geena Davis, have returned to television, too. Only Glenn's show survived a single season.

Other points besides these idiotic ones:

1) Scores of actors have had roles on two shows at once. The award-winner goes to the great Heather Locklear, simultaneous series regular on "Dynasty" and "T.J. Hooker," but even Kevin Rahm mixed in his Ted appearances with his ones as a gay husband on "Desperate Housewives." (And no, the fact that DH was cancelled has nothing to do with him being a series regular on MM this year. It just worked out that way plot-wise.) Anyway, only the actors in the opening credits -- which James Wolk is not, nor is Alison Brie -- are contractually tied to this series and this one alone.

2) I didn't say Megan is going to hurl herself off the balcony. She might slip or be pushed.

I look forward to this weekend's finale if only to deny your delusional rantings YET AGAIN that anyone will be plummeting off the Draper balcony -- or, for that matter, down the stairs at SC&P.

by Anonymousreply 31606/21/2013

People like r316 who have the inclination to sell even the most ridiculous arguments with a bitchy attitude, thinking that it will force us to accept them, are the ones who ultimately end up making fools of themselves.

Those who think the image of a man falling off a balcony in the opening credits MUST mean that someone will do exactly that at some point in the series, have the literate mentality of an 8-year old.

Have they ever heard of metaphors and symbols?

by Anonymousreply 31706/21/2013

Does anyone else think that John Bolton [from Gossip Girl and A Christmas Story the Musical] should play Ted Chaough's evil twin brother? Maybe he can push Ted down the elevator shaft.

by Anonymousreply 31806/21/2013

[quote]nor is Alison Brie

She is when she's in the episode.

by Anonymousreply 31906/21/2013

[quote]I don't understand the love for Sally, in real life most of you posters would give her a vicious slap.

Oh, honey.

Joan Crawford? Liza Minelli? Judy Garland? Faye Dunaway? Gay men become obsessed with crazy women from a distance.

Doesn't mean they want to spend more than :03 seconds dealing with their insanity up close.

by Anonymousreply 32006/21/2013

r319, can you reference your comment better, perhaps provide a post number? "Nor is Alison Brie" doesn't say much all by itself, let alone in terms of context. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 32106/21/2013

I don't think the cops in the season 6 poster are meant to tell us anything more than it was 1968 and there were lots of riots and upheaval. Note the cop is carrying a bully stick – that's not something used for an arrest or investigation.

by Anonymousreply 32306/21/2013

For the mouth breathers (and there do seen to be a lot of you here.)

"I do know how the whole show ends," he told the site. "It came to me in the middle of last season. I always felt like it would be the experience of human life. And human life has a destination. It doesn't mean Don's gonna die. What I'm looking for, and how I hope to end the show, is like ... It's 2011. Don Draper would be 84 right now. I want to leave the show in a place where you have an idea of what it meant and how it's related to you."

-Matt Weiner

by Anonymousreply 32406/21/2013

[quote]can you reference your comment better, perhaps provide a post number? "Nor is Alison Brie" doesn't say much all by itself, let alone in terms of context. Thanks!

If you're using Windows, hit Ctrl+F to find the text string on the web page. If on Mac, use ⌘+F. On iOS, the Google search bar lets you search for text on a web page.

You'll see my reply at R319 is quoting R316, just three replies above.

by Anonymousreply 32506/21/2013

Thanks for the technology lesson, r325. I appreciate it.

Though I still think that, for clarity's sake, it's easier for you to provide the post you're referencing than for people to be forced to learn systems shortcuts in order to have to dig for a pretty well buried and very short four-word phrase on a particularly long and quite hateful - and therefore already repellent - post in order to be able to understand what you posted.

Unless you prefer to keep things private between you and r316, in which case, have at it.

I'll just use another tech tool called troll-dar to guard me against reading that which I won't be able to follow.

by Anonymousreply 32606/21/2013

[quote]Matt Weiner has REPEATEDLY stated that Don Draper will NOT be dead at the end of this series. There will be NO Draper suicide, EVER, so shut up about it

This doesn't eliminate the possibility of Manson-esque hippies pushing Megan off the balcony, now does it?

by Anonymousreply 32706/21/2013

R321/326 et al: dude, calm down. The little bit R319 quoted was just above, still fresh in the mind of anyone who is reading the thread, no citation required -- and in a post *you* replied to and criticized. It's nobody else's fault you're not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 32806/21/2013

"Mad Men" Tumblr pics - with helpful captions, many of which address DL obsessions.

by Anonymousreply 32906/21/2013

The Balcony Trolls are getting really tiresome in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 33006/21/2013

Matt Weiner has said that the series finale of Mad Men will take place partly in the present day, and we'll see all of the characters who would still be living. Some, like Bert Cooper and Roger would obviously be dead by now, but Don Draper will be alive.

by Anonymousreply 33106/21/2013

R331, Don Draper alive in 2013?! Hard to imagine the smoking, drinking and all together hard living would see him living well into his 80s. Or, if so, that a cuckold man wouldn't have done away with him long ago.

by Anonymousreply 33206/21/2013

I just thought Megan would get a better job in Hollywood and she would leave Don...hopefully.

by Anonymousreply 33306/21/2013

r332, there are some people who smoke and drink and never quit who somehow manage to live to be quite old.

by Anonymousreply 33406/21/2013

R316, your intelligence is pulp. The Heather Locklear analogy is stupid because TJ Hooker and Dynasty were not only on ABC they were both Aaron Spelling productions. Mad Men and The Crazy Ones are on separate networks and are produced by separate companies. The Allison Brie analogy is tiresome, too, because, wonderful as she is, Trudy has simply not become as significant a character as Bob already has. Bob is as close to a regular character now as it gets, although I realize Wolk might technically be under that same contract. Trudy never was a regular character, she was always recurring. If Wolk were to return to Mad Men Bob would absolutely be a regular character.

by Anonymousreply 33506/21/2013

That is certainly true R331/334, but they are very much the exception & Don Draper doesn't strike me as one who has the longevity gene.

by Anonymousreply 33606/21/2013

[quote]Some, like Bert Cooper and Roger would obviously be dead by now

In the luckiest and kindest of scenarios, Roger could technically still be alive in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 33706/21/2013

For awhile I thought Pete would commit suicide but now, he seems to be better.

Don seems to be going down hill. The fact that he never really connects with anyone...not even his children, he has to fake every feeling, isn't that what he said?

by Anonymousreply 33806/21/2013

Six Degrees of Sharon Tate on Mad Men

by Anonymousreply 33906/22/2013

Despite the popular threads here and elsewhere on the internet, MAD MEN has definitely peaked and exhausted the audience.

David Remnick's one line dismissal of MAD MEN in his Gandolfini obituary on-line just sums it up.

by Anonymousreply 34006/23/2013

OK, so after tonight, none of my favorite shows - Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Project Runway, RuPaul's Drag Race, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, or The Middle - will have new episodes airing until July 18, when Project Runway Season 12 starts.

This must be how sports fans feel about that ONE day in the summer (the day after the Baseball All-Star Game?) when NO major league sports play at all.

by Anonymousreply 34106/23/2013

I wonder if Pete's ass is grass?

by Anonymousreply 34206/23/2013

R341, Netflix older shows like The Wire (or use HBO Go). That's what I do in the summer. Last year I finally watched all of The Sopranoes. This summer I'm finishing The Wire and watching House of Cards.

by Anonymousreply 34306/24/2013

I can't decide if Kartheiser is a bad actor or if he is playing Pete as someone who is bad at acting like a good ad exec. He is very mannered.

by Anonymousreply 34406/24/2013

The latter, r344. His phony demeanor is part of the character's upbringing. He can't even dispose of it when he gets angry at people.

His superiority complex, combined with the affectations of someone who feels entitled, remind me a bit of Diane Chambers, except she was perhaps a bit more loveable because she didn't do the horrible creepy hypocritical things Pete does.

by Anonymousreply 34506/24/2013

R344 Pete always seems like such a smug cunt. He's an utter bore to watch. He comes across as extremely unlikeable.Then again Bob Benson is no prize either. His phony charm is more off putting than Pete's smarmy attitude.

by Anonymousreply 34606/24/2013

This is how Mad Men ends.

SPOILER ALERT:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The series ends with Don Draper at the airport requesting a one-way ticket, answering the question “May I have your name, please?” and pausing, only to respond, “Dan Cooper” ...

by Anonymousreply 34706/29/2013

I think Kartheiser is a good actor and Pete is one of the most interesting characters on the show. I can't help feeling sympathy for him even though he creates most of his own problems.

by Anonymousreply 34806/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.