Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is giving your child a stupid name a sign of extreme narcissism?

I was reading an article about the guys who named their kids Kyler, and it got me to thinking about friends and relatives who've gone out of their way to give their kids horrible named. To me, it shows a complete lack of regard for the child, who will have to ensure years of teasing--and sometimes--lost professional/educational opportunities. Why do parents do that shit?

For the record, my mom's a narcissist and it always pisses me off that she gave my sister and I "unique" names that are always mispronounced, teased, etc. Especially when everyone else in our immediate family has/had traditional names.

by Anonymousreply 8806/24/2013

Link to article:

by Anonymousreply 106/16/2013

yes.

by Anonymousreply 206/16/2013

"To me, it shows a complete lack of regard for the child, who will have to ensure years of teasing--and sometimes--lost professional/educational opportunities. Why do parents do that shit?"

I have an uncommon name (I was named after a great-grandparent, so I and old-fashioned name that fell out of favor eons before I was born) and I was never teased. I'd rather stand out than be the 80000th person in town named Mike or Jessica. There were so many girls named Jessica in my classes at school we'd have to call them Jessica A., Jessica B., and so forth. When did being creative and unique become a bad thing? You're a Republican, right?

"Kyler" wouldn't even stand out today. It's basically just like "Tyler" but with a K instead of a T. Why are you getting so worked up about something so silly?

by Anonymousreply 306/16/2013

What is considered stupid?

by Anonymousreply 406/16/2013

"To me, it shows a complete lack of regard for the child, who will have to ensure years of teasing--and sometimes--lost professional/educational opportunities. Why do parents do that shit?"

Using that logic, ugly people shouldn't choose to have kids because then the kids will be made fun of for being ugly. Because I knew WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more people who were teased for their looks than for their names....

by Anonymousreply 506/16/2013

It made me special.

by Anonymousreply 606/16/2013

John Smith cannot be stalked on the internet. Think about that.

by Anonymousreply 706/16/2013

I'm not sure "stupid" names lead to teasing these days with all the Lakishas, TaiQuandas and Shantays and Asian immigrants named Dzhokhar and Seung-Hui.

by Anonymousreply 806/16/2013

I have a friend who named her son, Jaxxson. Pronounced "Jackson".

by Anonymousreply 906/16/2013

Funny this thread comes up. I was shopping today and I hear this woman calling for "Meadow?... Meadow Lark?" And this 5-6 year old girl comes running.

by Anonymousreply 1006/16/2013

Jermajesty.

by Anonymousreply 1106/16/2013

I know a woman who named her daughter Alaya. Just imagine what the boys do with a name like that!

by Anonymousreply 1206/16/2013

LOL, r12.

by Anonymousreply 1306/16/2013

I think Dementia is a beautiful name for an Adams.

by Anonymousreply 1506/16/2013

Actually, for once narcissism was probably used correctly on DL for possibly the first time.

I prefer more classic names, but some trendy names don't ruffle my feathers. For example, R10's Meadow doesn't bother me. It's not something I would use, but at least it's a real word. Re-appropriated nouns are understandable.

Completely made up names like R12's Alaya, and especially misspelled existing names like R9's Jaxxson do make me want to vomit, though.

by Anonymousreply 1606/16/2013

That must be frustrating for you r7.

by Anonymousreply 1706/16/2013

Kyler is NOT an unusual name in Connecticut.

by Anonymousreply 1806/16/2013

We've always assumed that someone called the Child Protective Services Crisis Line and they refused to get involved in a naming crime.

by Anonymousreply 1906/16/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow calls her daughter Apple. Our affectionate name for Gwennie in turn is Cunt!Only a self obsessed clueless dunderhead would name her daughter after a fruit. I hope Apple marries the son of another clueless cunt with an equally stupid name.

by Anonymousreply 2006/16/2013

"Kyler" = Plain old bad taste. It sounds like a cement manufacturer.

by Anonymousreply 2106/16/2013

I agree. I don't like the name Kyler either.

by Anonymousreply 2206/16/2013

I had a junior high teacher (back in the days when it was junior high). She always used an initial "L" for her first name and apparently was called "Les" by her husband. After much snooping we discovered what her first name was. Her parents were missionaries in China (this goes back pre-WWII) and rather unsophisticated, it would seem. They had named her "Lesbia".

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2013

[quote]Completely made up names like R12's Alaya, and especially misspelled existing names like R9's Jaxxson do make me want to vomit, though

The girl's name Alaya is of Hebrew origin and means "to ascend."

by Anonymousreply 2406/16/2013

The son of Scientologist/actor Jason Lee (My Name Is Earl) is named Pilot Inspektor.

by Anonymousreply 2506/16/2013

I think everyone should just buy a Blanket.

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2013

Don't see the connection between narcissism and being nonconformist enough to give one's child an unconventional name. Of course, if the name is very odd or suggests something that would cause one's child undue hardship, then it may not speak well of a parent's psychology; however, I'm not so sure that it would suggest narcissism; why would it?

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2013

Stupid children's names I have recently encountered:

Ryker (like the Commander on Star Trek TNG)

Hendrix (if this one doesn't scream parental narcissism, what does?)

Cobain (yes, I'm serious)

Tason

Chanel

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2013

This works for "surname-as-given name" protocol that some parents follow ad nauseam: McKenzie, Tyler, Davis, Parker, Hunter, Jackson, Chandler, Reese, etc.

I always ask the mother, "Oh, were you a (surname as given name) before you married?"

Before she can answer I further ask, "Or is this a soap opera name you really liked?"

I feel I won when I can force the bitch to say, "No, I just liked the name."

I end with, "We have some (last name names) in our family tree. My father says most of his (surname name) second cousins are in the insane asylum or state prison!"

Then I walk away, leaving her sputtering.

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2013

[quote]Don't see the connection between narcissism and being nonconformist enough to give one's child an unconventional name.

The name is for the benefit of the parent who wins ego points in a clever/original baby names competition, and at the expense of the human being who has to live with it.

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2013

Personally, I like Zod, Jor-El and Kal-El.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2013

My personal favorite is Ingo Rademacher from General Hospital who named his son Peanut.

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2013

Are you sure it wasn't "Erdnuss" r32

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2013

This kid is called Squish.

I think the mother wants him to be famous, the way she whores him out on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 3406/16/2013

"she gave my sister and I "unique" names"

Oh, dear!

(And I'm the first to "Oh, dear!" this??)

by Anonymousreply 3506/16/2013

Giving a child a horrible name indicates hostility. How could it not? The poor kid is going to have to suffer the stigma of having an awful name during his or her formative years. It's a form of child abuse.

I mean, what else would be the reasoning behind naming your kid Ima when your last name is Hogg? Or someone with the last name Duck naming their son Donald? Or naming your kid Adolf Hitler? Those are just a few examples; there are many, many more insane names that unfit parents have given their children. People who saddle their kids with ghastly names are VERY fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2013

[quote] I end with, "We have some (last name names) in our family tree. My father says most of his (surname name) second cousins are in the insane asylum or state prison!"

[quote] Then I walk away, leaving her sputtering.

She's sputtering because she knows there aren't any insane asylums anymore and there haven't been any for about 40 years. She's about to call you a lying old dried up cunt to your face.

by Anonymousreply 3706/16/2013

My mother not only gave me an unusual name, she mispronounced it and insisted everyone else in the family mispronounce it too. When I got to school, teachers would call me by the correct pronunciation of the name and I would tell them it wasn't pronounced that way. They would laugh at me and refused to pronounce it the way my family did. So I always felt I was being called by someone else's name.

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2013

Don't worry, Hunter, at r37.

I just called your mother an ignorant cunt and then kicked her in the cooze.

by Anonymousreply 3906/16/2013

R38, Everyone called my college housemate Janette, with an emphasis on the second syllable. She was very shy, yet always corrected them, saying it was pronounced like "Janet." I used to ask her why her Mother didn't spell her name "correctly." My name is even more unusual; so she always knew I could relate.

by Anonymousreply 4006/16/2013

R38, what's your name? I can't even think of a name that is pronounced in a way that the teachers won't honor. Was it rude-sounding?

by Anonymousreply 4106/16/2013

R41 --

Perhaps "Ian."

"ee-un" changed by the mother to "eye-ann."

by Anonymousreply 4206/16/2013

I work with a woman named Princess. You tell me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4306/18/2013

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013

Van Nessa gets very irritable if you pronounce her name Vanessa.

by Anonymousreply 4506/22/2013

"Rhys" is the correct spelling and it's Welsh. One of the hottest dudes I knew was named Rhys.

by Anonymousreply 4606/22/2013

Giving a child a name that imposes a burden on them in some form, from sounding stupid through to needing to be explained or spelling time and time again, isn't really doing the child any favors. So I wouldn't call it narcissism so much as some degree of shallowness, thoughtlessness or selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 4706/22/2013

If the kid wants a name they have to keep spelling over and over their whole life or a name that makes them sound like a pimp or a hooker, let them choose it for themselves when they're older.

by Anonymousreply 4806/22/2013

What are you talking about, r46? Are you responding to someone?

by Anonymousreply 4906/22/2013

I have a Facebook friend who named her son Ryatt. Yes. RYATT.

by Anonymousreply 5006/22/2013

My name is Mark and I find it annoying when people ask "is that with a k or a c ?". I don't know if I've ever met a Marc. I usually just answer "whatever". I would go crazy if I always had to spell it out or correct the pronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 5106/22/2013

R51, As a Christina, I'm also faced with the C or K question. I just want to respond, do I look like trash?

by Anonymousreply 5206/22/2013

R51, "K" has two fewer syllables than "whatever."

by Anonymousreply 5306/22/2013

r52, "Kristina" is the proper spelling of the name throughout Scandanavia and Germany/Austria, and there is nothing "trashy" about it.

by Anonymousreply 5406/22/2013

R42, I believe the correct pronunciation is "Een." At least that's what I've been told.

by Anonymousreply 5506/22/2013

I think yes, op. And it tells the world that you really aren't very bright.

by Anonymousreply 5606/22/2013

There's a certain pesonality type that seems to want to push the envelope, but "Apple" (Gwyneth) and "Pilot Inspektor" (Jason Lee) seem a little much.

It's one thing for a parent to want their kid to stand out and be unique but another to saddle them with a lifetime of having to respond to questions like, "Do you like your name?", etc.

Most of us in our 40's and up grew up with 4 "Mikes" or "Jessica's" in our class so I get it that people don't want that for their kid. But now naming your child can carry a different kind of meaning than it did in our parents' generation.

Unisex names (my neice's names are Smith, Langdon and Carson which to me sounds like a law firm!; hipster names (Co Co, Luca, Bella, etc) or the old classics that never seem to age (Jack,Grace, Alex, etc) seem to be the new normal.

by Anonymousreply 5706/22/2013

Will Myrtle ever come back?

by Anonymousreply 5806/22/2013

I'm kind of glad when I meet white women who have what seems like traditional black names...meeting a white woman named Shonnda makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 5906/22/2013

The problem with labeling your child so that he or she will stand out and be unique is that most of us don't stand out and are not unique in any remarkable way. Besides, most remarkably unique people have mundane names. A boy named John will share his name with some of the greatest men who ever lived.

Sometimes it is just as well to be able to blend in with the herd.

by Anonymousreply 6006/22/2013

What about parents that are just illiterate?

My niece is named Nichole, her mother thought that was how you spelled it.

I know someone named Shun, pronounced Sean. Can you imagine having to explain that your entire live?

My cousin named his children Mychael and Mycheala, no, they aren't twins

Some people should just not be allowed to have children or pets.

by Anonymousreply 6106/22/2013

"I'm kind of glad when I meet white women who have what seems like traditional black names...meeting a white woman named Shonnda makes me happy."

A (white) guy I know started dating a woman named Chantal. I assumed she was black, but it turns out she's white, and when I looked it up I found that Chantal is actually a traditional French name. Would anyone else have thought this sounded like a black name? Am I racist?

by Anonymousreply 6206/22/2013

When I read it, R62, I knew it was the French name. Now, had it been spelled Shawntalle, that's another matter, youknowwhatI'msay'n?

by Anonymousreply 6306/22/2013

Maybe.

ZUBIN

JASCHA

FYVUSH

PINCHAS

ATAULFO

LEONTYNE

JUSSI

BENIAMINO

ZINKA

MILIZA

THELONIUS

by Anonymousreply 6406/22/2013

There are a lot of French Canadian girls named Chantal.

by Anonymousreply 6506/22/2013

My name doesn't match my ethnicity and it's pretty obvious. Luckily, it's not a stupid name or else I'd change it. I don't know why more people don't just simply change their name if they don't like theirs. Why should we be stuck with a name that we hate for our entire lives? It doesn't make sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 6606/23/2013

[quote]What are you talking about, [R46]? Are you responding to someone?

Yes, sorry.

One poster up thread said that "Reese" was a dumb name and couldn't figure out why a kid was named after a candy bar. I was trying to point out that "Rhys" is a traditional Welsh name. And a damned hot dude I used to know.

by Anonymousreply 6706/23/2013

Speaking of Shawntelle, someone start a thread, please, about these black girl names. In honor of all the Bern Nadettes and Laquandas out there.

by Anonymousreply 6806/24/2013

Rachel Griffiths called her son Banjo.

by Anonymousreply 6906/24/2013

R64 - Zubin is a common and traditional Zoroastrian/Parsi name.

R69 - Yes, after the iconic 19th C Australian poet Banjo Paterson, who wrote The Man from Snowy River and Waltzing Matilda.

by Anonymousreply 7006/24/2013

From my nieces' classmates, Terra Ball; looks OK until you 'hear' Terrible.

Kai [male] and Meroe [3 syllables, Lake in Africa]

by Anonymousreply 7106/24/2013

I know an actress who named her daughter "Verve", after the Jazz label. Not a pretty name for a girl at all.

by Anonymousreply 7206/24/2013

Never once has this happened, R29.

by Anonymousreply 7306/24/2013

Miss America 1996 was Shawntel Smith (white woman). It turned our Shawntel was her middle name; her first was Lucretia.

Drunken idiots should not name kids.

by Anonymousreply 7406/24/2013

Here you go, R68:

by Anonymousreply 7506/24/2013

r51, Marc with a c is very common in Eastern Canada as I'm sure you well know. Often short for Marcel, a very traditional french name. I always listen for the last name as a clue as to whether it is a 'c' or a 'k' in Marc (Mark). I actually presume 'c' just to be safe, the french-canadians can be indignant if you presume otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 7606/24/2013

In America, it can be short for Marcus, often a Jewish name.

by Anonymousreply 7706/24/2013

"The name is for the benefit of the parent who wins ego points in a clever/original baby names competition, and at the expense of the human being who has to live with it"

Ok, I now get the argument. I can see how the decision might reflect narcissism. In some cases. In other cases, it may not have that implication, although it might, or might not, otherwise reflect negatively on the parent's personality.

by Anonymousreply 7806/24/2013

I thought Marcus is originally a Roman name?

by Anonymousreply 7906/24/2013

In a restaurant this weekend, I saw and heard a woman try to control two young boys named "Colton" and "Blaze" -- and, of course, thought of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 8006/24/2013

I know a girl named Denali. Her father is an eccentric world traveller and physician. They are a very cool family.

by Anonymousreply 8106/24/2013

Rich kids can pull off kooky names, R81. People always mention Apple Martin as the prime example of stupid names, but who really believes that this little girl is ever going to suffer due to her name? Same goes for Pilot Inspector and Mowgli and whatever other celebrity baby name you can think of.

by Anonymousreply 8206/24/2013

R81, "Denali" is a famous mountain in Alaska. There used to be a brand of ice cream called "Denali." Some thought that it was an Italian brand. I noticed that the name was switched to "Alaskan Classics," and then to "Private Label Ice Cream."

by Anonymousreply 8306/24/2013

They needn't suffer at all, if people mind their own business.

by Anonymousreply 8406/24/2013

I know that, R83. I was responding to the tag line at R80. The point being, that some names, as strange as they may be to others, are meaningful to the one naming. Notice I said the dad was a world traveller.

by Anonymousreply 8506/24/2013

My mother agreed with you, OP. She used to tell stories of classmates with very embarrassing names. My parents gave me a very traditional name.

by Anonymousreply 8606/24/2013

r75 thank you. Not trying to race bait, it's actually a very interesting topic.

by Anonymousreply 8706/24/2013

@ R64 -- Leontyne's Price's real name is Mary. Leontyne was one of her two middle names. Maria Callas' real name was Anna, same as Patty Duke. I used to teach school. Some of the crappier names I came across: Latrina Marcquesses (Marcus) Tonda, whose mother was Rhonda. Tonda's daughter was LaShonda. Vagina -- the mother couldn't spell Virginia, and pronounced it va-GINNA (short i) She went by Gina until the day she turned 18 and had her name legally changed. Barkevious The twins -- LaWasha and D'drya Siblings Revonka and Lemtrice (guess which one was the brother!) Khlytoris Chair (pronounced "share") Springer and my all-time fave: Qzi. Yes, you read that right -- Qzi. It's pronounced "cutesie." And no, it's not Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 8806/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.