Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In your opinion which era or decade produced the best films?

And also tell us why you feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 3206/17/2013

The 2040's. It was right before films were replaced with virtual dreamwiggles.

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2013

The 1970s was the pinnacle. Up until then, people had been building upon what had gone before.

There were two things that happened in the 70s that would ensure that it was the end of good movie-making.

First was the birth of the made-for-TV movie. This meant that many films (mostly b-movies) didn't make it to theaters. B-movies weren't necessarily bad, but they added to the culture, occasionally, they were great. But they added to the possibility that if you went to the movies you might see something different, or even interesting.

The real thing that ruined movies after the 70s was "Star Wars." After that movie appeared, the key to success became to replicate its kind of success, by creating a bigger and better CGI experience, accompanied by a cult following, merchandise and co-marketing.

Now that the post-DVD-world is about to kill Hollywood, you're not going to see any good movies at the movies--only cartoons that are not quite as entertaining as Bugs Bunny was in the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2013

It is said that 1939 was the best year for film.

by Anonymousreply 306/15/2013

From the early thirties (Red Dust, Little Women) into the mid-forties (Double Indemnity, Hail the Conquering Hero) and then from the late sixties (The Graduate, Bonnie and Clyde) through the mid-seventies (Annie Hall, Close Encounters).

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2013

70s I think. But the scripts were maybe sharper in the golden age when it was all "read between the lines".

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2013

1970's wins.

Films were real, smart, intense. There was a sense of authenticity that was lost by the early 80's. The filmmakers of the 70's didn't insult your intelligence and they assumed audiences could keep up.

Then throwaway consumerism and corporate culture became enmeshed in the 80's and corporations began taking over film studios. And because the leaders of those corporations think we're all idiots, they started spoonfeeding us Pablum on celluloid, making films that were thought of as products to be consumed by the masses.

by Anonymousreply 606/15/2013

The '30s. So many good films. 1939 was considered the Golden Age of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2013

Like the music, 80s films are totally time capsules of the era. The great pop was the best thing about the 80s, the films are fluffy and fun entertainment but don't stand up as well artistically as other eras. I mean even the 90s were a lot better when Harvey Weinstein enters the frame.

I do love that evocative feel of 70s stuff as well, like how Cruising captures the pre-AIDS NY gay scene.

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2013

The 1970s, because 70s American films trump 60s European art house.

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2013

So were the 50s shit, r4?

And what were the ones to stand alongside Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind in glorious '39?

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013

What R10 said.

Godfather, part II

Annie Hall

Next Stop, Greenwich Village

An Unmarried Woman

Blume in Love

Welcome to LA

The French Connection

Taxi Driver

All the President's Men

The Way We Were

The Deer Hunter

American Gigolo

Heaven Can Wait

Coming Home

The Turning Point

And that's just off the top of my head--no googling.

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2013

Another vote for the 70s in the USA PLUS British cinema of the 60s.

Feels weird to even write the words British cinema.

The American movies of the 70s were a continuation of it.

by Anonymousreply 1306/15/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1406/15/2013

Don't forget Klute, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2013

You know, R15, I don't think I ever saw Klute. But you've reminded me of M*A*S*H.

And Joe.

by Anonymousreply 1606/15/2013

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2013

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

A Woman Under the Influence

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2013

Oh, I was trying to think of Alice, R18. And also Five Easy Pieces.

I went to the movies every week in the '70s and '80s. The ones in the '70s were so much better.

by Anonymousreply 1906/16/2013

There was a cinema reissue of Scarecrow with Al Pacino I missed. :(

by Anonymousreply 2006/16/2013

Also from the '70s

Coming Home

The Exorcist (best of its genre)

Jaws (a classic)

The Conversation

by Anonymousreply 2106/16/2013

And R20 reminds me I forgot

Dog Day Afternoon

and all those Jack Nicholson movies before he became Jack Fucking Nicholson:

Cuckoo's Nest

The Last Detail

Carnal Knowledge

The King of Marvin Gardens

plus Altman's

The Long Goodbye

Brewster McCloud

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

and the already-mentioned Nashville

by Anonymousreply 2206/16/2013

The Last Picture Show

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2013

The 2010s

by Anonymousreply 2406/16/2013

More from the 1970s (sorry for any repeats, can't keep up with the posts)

Days of Heaven

Harold and Maude

Being There

Kramer vs Kramer

by Anonymousreply 2506/16/2013

I think it's hard to pick a best decade because the parts that make up a film are on such different trajectories. Acting has improved as film history moves along and writing has plummeted.

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2013

I hate essay questions.

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2013

The 1970s seems to win this one.

IN addition to all the fine films of that era, we had ones like

The In-Laws

All That Jazz

Massacre At Central High (Heathers took from this)

And THIS classic:

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2013

the 40s, when art and entertainment together made great films

Notorious Citizen Kane Children of Paradise The Maltese Falcon Double Indemnity Rebecca The Treasure of the Sierra Madre The Great Dictator The Philadelphia Story Fantasia His Girl Friday It's A Wonderful Life The Red Shoes The Third Man The Bicycle Thief Casablanca The Letter The Little Foxes The Grapes of Wrath The Magnificent Ambersons Stairway to Heaven To Be Or Not To Be Rome, Open City Black Narcissus Day of Wrath Brief Encounter The Lady Eve Sullivan's Travels The Miracle of Morgan's Creek Out of the Past The Best Years of Our Lives The Palm Beach Story Meet Me in St. Louis The Shop Around the Corner Mildred Pierce The Ox-Bow Incident Henry V The Lost Weekend

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2013

The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 Rocky Saturday NIght Fever

And THIS classic:

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2013

I would have to say two decades. The 1940's and the 1970's. The war did not create a film "wasteland' but rather enhanced filmmaking. We were fighting for American values and these were expressed so passionately in the films of the time.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2013

[R28] Thanks for listing one of my all time favorite comedies. What a great script. ‘Serpentine, Sheldon, serpentine’ LOL

by Anonymousreply 3206/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!