Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who's the "It Boy" at the moment?

We all know who the "It girl" is but who exactly is the "It boy"? In other words, who's the most popular actor right now?

by Anonymousreply 11006/18/2013

Wilford Brimley

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2013

Spencer Pratt

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2013

Channing Tatum.

by Anonymousreply 306/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2013

Chan. Vanity Fair says so.

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2013

[quote]We all know who the "It girl" is ...

... we do??

by Anonymousreply 606/15/2013

Channing Tatum, inexplicably. Of all people, I have no idea how this non-entity who looks like every frat guy I've ever seen became the current It boy.

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2013

Wink Martindale.

He's back, baby, and better than ever!

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2013

Rudy Vallee owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2013

The All American frat boy look is part of Tatum's appeal no doubt.

JLaw is the It girl presumably.

If you want to go with older more established ones, but still part of New Hollywood, it's Ryan Gosling and Anne Hathaway.

Loved Channing in 21 Jump Street so I ain't gonna complain.

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2013

I agree it's probably Channing Tatum (with the "It Girl" being Jennifer Lawrence).

R7, it's because he's had four 100 million+ movies open within the past year in different genres (romantic drama - The Vow, raunchy comedy - 21 Jump Street, summer action movie - GI Joe 2. I don't know what genre Magic Mike would fall under, but it success is almost entirely carried by him). Shows a wide range of marketability (if not acting chops) to different audiences.

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013

`It girl`...Kim`s newborn daughter?

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2013

[quote](with the "It Girl" being Jennifer Lawrence)

... really? How is anyone to have know this? Why is this an assumed reality?

by Anonymousreply 1306/15/2013

I am flattered that the OP does not even have to remind people I am still America's It girl.

by Anonymousreply 1406/15/2013

Why am I not America's "It Boy"?

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2013

I don't know, R13, "It Boy" and "It Girl" are arbitrary PR-creations anyway, so in the marketing / PR space, you just look at who's getting all the press attention, advertising and spokesperson dollars and roles being thrown at them?

I mean, Jennifer Lawrence would probably qualify because she's an actress in two major franchises (the Hunger Games and X-Men: First Class) but also has the credibility of a Best Actress Oscar? And she's young and pretty with big boobs, so she also has the Dior contract. It's hard to name any other young actress with that combination of mass marketability and artistic acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 1606/15/2013

Who's R15? Simon Rex?

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2013

No, R17. Guess again.

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2013

Nicholas Hoult

by Anonymousreply 1906/15/2013

Is r15 Alex "trying to make him happen" Pettyfer? No wonder I didn't recognize him. Supposedly Channing hated him for his diva antics on the Magic Mike set. Now there's a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2006/15/2013

[quote]I don't know what genre Magic Mike would fall under,

Raunchy Drama

by Anonymousreply 2106/15/2013

You're really old, aren't you, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2206/15/2013

Seriously, who is R15? I think you answered your own question of why he isn't the It Boy when no one even recognizes him.

by Anonymousreply 2306/15/2013

Enchanted Potato (oh, sorry, Channing Tatum, whose name is a mash-up of Tatum O'Neal and Carol Channing) looks "special." Don't get the appeal at ALL.

by Anonymousreply 2406/15/2013

No to R19 and R20.

I'll tell you eventually, R23, but having people guess is fun. Here's another pic.

by Anonymousreply 2506/15/2013

r15 is American model Garrett Neff. No, me either.

by Anonymousreply 2606/15/2013

and another

by Anonymousreply 2706/15/2013

Well, you can't be an It Boy if no one knows who the fuck you are.

by Anonymousreply 2806/15/2013

But look at him. Why does nobody know who he is? Particularly compared to Channing Tatum.

by Anonymousreply 2906/15/2013

You'd rather get fucked by Channing Tatum than by me?

by Anonymousreply 3006/15/2013

Because you can go onto any college campus, walk through the Quad and see dozens of guys that are hotter than he is.

by Anonymousreply 3106/15/2013

What movie is R27 from?

by Anonymousreply 3206/15/2013

No, Garrett, I'd rather fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 3306/15/2013

RH as NuFranco.

by Anonymousreply 3406/15/2013

Except for the poofy hair, that could be Andrew McCarthy years ago, r30.

by Anonymousreply 3506/15/2013

unless "White House Down" defies expectations to become a blockbuster megahit I think Channing's itness is just his publicist's wishful thinking.

The Benedict Cumberbatch cult continues apace, but "Star Trek: Into Darkness" failed to get the mainstream American frauen fingering themselves over him.

They're still crazy about Johnny Depp, though.

by Anonymousreply 3606/15/2013

It's me, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 3706/15/2013

R35 Andrew McCarthy, please.

by Anonymousreply 3806/15/2013

Tatum is further proof that big time status for an actor happens when they're in their 30s. They tried to make him happen for years and he toiled away but only now is he at the top of the heap.

It was similar for Pitt/Depp/Reeves - known by movie fans (especially cause of their looks) but didn't hit big with the mainstream and household names till a bit later on. Legends of the Fall, Speed and Pirates were the breakthroughs I guess. Depp could have hit earlier but didn't play the game and was uncomfortable with his heartthrob status, choosing oddball projects, deliberately moving the focus off his looks. He no doubt was A list in the 90s anyway on name recognition and celeb girlfriends alone.

What this says I don't know, but men may peak looks wise in their early-mid 30s. Channing was also cause he just had a great run of hit movies. There were some jokes at his expense about him looking 40 in 21 Jump Street, if that ties in with the terribly ageing celeb thread.

by Anonymousreply 3906/15/2013

Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

by Anonymousreply 4006/15/2013

Liam Hemsworth, Zac Efron, or Dave Franco. Tie between those three.

by Anonymousreply 4106/15/2013

Yes, R30. I'll take Channing Tatum over that guy any day of the weak, in a heart-beat, without even having to think about it.

And I don't have any idea who that guy is either. Never (knowingly) seen him before this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4206/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 4306/15/2013

Definitely Tatum, but if Gosling played the game like agencies/studios wanted him to, he'd be at the top of the list. He stayed with a smaller agent despite being courted by CAA/WME, and he stays away from anything blockbuster/franchise-related.

by Anonymousreply 4406/15/2013

[quote]Nicholas Hoult

Yes r19 this is a good answer.

by Anonymousreply 4506/15/2013

I think the guy from [bold]Man Of Steel[/bold] could be it.

by Anonymousreply 4606/15/2013

Garrett Neff looks like he's trying harder to be America's "Tit Boy."

by Anonymousreply 4706/15/2013

Ya never know Garrett, I started out as a model too and now look where I am.

by Anonymousreply 4806/15/2013

Why it's easy. Bradley Cooper is this year's Jake Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 4906/15/2013

Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 5006/15/2013

No love for Micheal Fassbender? He's got a bunch of movies coming out.

by Anonymousreply 5106/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 5206/15/2013

R40 That's who I was going to say. Either him or James Franco.

by Anonymousreply 5306/15/2013

There isn't one.

That's why Hollywood has been shitting itself trying to push all these lackluster middling talents on us, hoping to find the next BO draw in the younger demos.

Same goes for the women.

by Anonymousreply 5406/15/2013

Channing Tatum is a Gomer Pyle figure. Hardly the "it" boy.

The biggest b.o. star in the world today is...Daniel Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 5506/16/2013

[quote]No love for Micheal Fassbender? He's got a bunch of movies coming out.

Michael Fassbender is not a boy.

by Anonymousreply 5606/16/2013

Whoever it is, it sure as hell ain't Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 5706/16/2013

Who's Armie Hammer?

by Anonymousreply 5806/16/2013

[quote]Who's Armie Hammer?

The new Gretchen Mol.

by Anonymousreply 5906/16/2013

R57, Why not Armie Hammer?

R59, How is he the new Gretchen Mol? He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 6006/16/2013

tig notaro

by Anonymousreply 6106/16/2013

[quote]How is he the new Gretchen Mol?

Trying desperately to make him "happen."

by Anonymousreply 6206/16/2013

WHET Orlando Bloom?

by Anonymousreply 6306/16/2013

Robert Sheehan is pretty popular right now, much thanks to the success of Misfits. Although I guess he really isn't A-lister yet, and he's not that famous in the US.

by Anonymousreply 6406/16/2013

It was Shia LaBoeuf for a while. You couldn't get away from him. Then he imploded in all the overexposure.

by Anonymousreply 6506/16/2013

I suspect Rat Boy's disappearance wasn't because of overexposure. He's an okay actor, and Spielberg liked him at first, but he has rage issues for some reason, and rumor has it that he's pissed off the wrong people.

Oh, and he was in last Indiana JOnes movie. Nobody escaped from that one unhurt.

by Anonymousreply 6606/16/2013

Shia LaDouche turned out to be batshit crazy and got tons of bad publicity. He also didn't connect with audiences, despite being foisted on the public.

by Anonymousreply 6706/16/2013

And here I honestly thought it was Bradley Cooper... How wrong I was.

Personal taste I am rooting for that cutie Andrew Garfield. Gallons of talent wasting it on Hollywood movies... Hope he gets back to interesting roles fast.

by Anonymousreply 6806/17/2013

He imploded with the lack of talent, R65. Not to mention charisma

by Anonymousreply 6906/17/2013

Bradley Cooper is not a boy.

by Anonymousreply 7006/17/2013

Rugged, virile Canadian character actor Elias Koteas is widely regarded as the It Boy of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 7106/17/2013

Widely regarded where, R71? The Merv Griffin Memorial Home for Aging Confirmed Bachelors?

by Anonymousreply 7206/17/2013

Colton Haynes, the gay in the glass closet?

by Anonymousreply 7306/17/2013

[quote]He also didn't connect with audiences, despite being foisted on the public

That's true of the Kardashians as well, but they continue to foist.

by Anonymousreply 7406/17/2013

Edward Snowden

by Anonymousreply 7506/17/2013

Logan Lerman

by Anonymousreply 7606/17/2013

Just as they don't make them like the Golden Age stars anymore, the same could now be said for as recent as the 90s ones.

You don't get people like Depp/Pitt nowadays, that type of charismatic idol. We don't have superstars like Jackson/Prince/Madonna either of course, they were the last of their type.. everything is just diluted variations. We're onto something new and with less mystique in the Twitter era.

by Anonymousreply 7706/17/2013

Dear Elias Koteas Troll,

Where do you live? We should meet. Don't understand what you see in him. I'm his look-alike and have posted this before. But I have all my hair and green eyes. I think I'm better looking than him, but that doesn't say much. Have you ever been to Greece?

Wish there were some Elias Koteas Trolls near me.

Had never heard of him until some people stopped me on the street on a trip to Montreal. And then there's your whole thing.

Your fetish is really weird, but I guess I should like it. Perhaps you'd have liked a recent family gathering with my 12+ male cousins. Four of us are gay. I can't recall ever being with such a boring looking group of men.

by Anonymousreply 7806/17/2013

Dear Elias Koteas lookalike at R78,

Yes, I have read your posts here before. Obviously my interest was piqued when you mentioned being mistaken for Elias Koteas on the street many times, however I am slightly unsure about the green eyes bit as Elias' brown puppy dog eyes are surely one of his most distinctive features.

I hope to visit Greece one day and be surrounded by rugged, virile, fur-lined Grecian DILFs, with full trouser baskets, overactive precum glands and musky hair in the hole. Your cousins sound pretty hot. But you are NEGATIVE. All you seem to do is insult yourself in a very self-loathing way, and in the process you insult Koteas too – "I'm better looking than him, but that doesn't say much", you're both "boring looking", in one thread you actually referred to yourself (and, by proxy, him) as "ugly". What's THAT about? If you watch any interviews with Koteas you will quickly get a sense of a caring, thoughtful and kind-hearted guy who has a good attitude about the world and his place in it. He is humble about his career, respectful to his co-workers, and he manages to be playfully self-deprecating (e.g. mourning his long hair whenever he watches his early films like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) without being self-loathing. Can I ask what age are you? In his case, there is an understated graciousness about self and world that only comes with age. And trust me, there is nothing boring about a man who looks like this!

by Anonymousreply 7906/18/2013

Elias Who?

by Anonymousreply 8006/18/2013

We may be talking at cross purposes here. In the original sense of "it" coined by Elinor Glyn, "it" means a special sort of irresistible star quality that appeals to both sexes and is almost independent of how good-looking or talented he is; it's a personality-based form of charisma. Marilyn had it. Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp, definitely. I think Michael Fassbender qualifies under this definition. Shia and Channing and Elias do not.

by Anonymousreply 8106/18/2013

What can I say, R81, only that I strongly disagree about Elias Koteas. I think his "personality-based form of charisma" does have that universal, transgender quality that makes him appealing to both men and women – heterosexual men like him because they find him cool and relatable, women find him hot in a "gettable" guy-next-door way, homosexuals like myself go wild for his earthy ruggedness. Certainly far more so than Alan Rickman! (really? How so?) I agree about Shia and Channing.

by Anonymousreply 8206/18/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8306/18/2013

Disappearance of the "it" boy directly correlates with the female tendency to lower expectations and the male tendency to be threatened by those distinctly better than them. The it boy will always be the least threatening example of an actor who fills women's expectations.

It's the explanation of the shift from Johnny Depp to Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 8406/18/2013

Ryan Gosling

by Anonymousreply 8506/18/2013

Ezra Miller

by Anonymousreply 8606/18/2013

Haha R84, not bad.

I doubt Andrew Garfield appeals to that many women though. I find him bucketfuls of cute but then I prefer the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 8706/18/2013

Ezra Miller is not the "it boy," though he should have a bigger star than he does. He's intensely beautiful and from all accounts a smart and free thinker. Moviegoers won't get it. Moviegoers like George Clooney, good enough looking and easygoing.

Thanks, r87. I'm speaking of American audiences, who dictate international taste. When America was bullish, we were given equally bullish it boys/young(er) movie stars. Currently, with the loss of American identity and relative bearish market, we see foreign stars who are less threatening. They are probably threatened by Henry Cavill, Superman (according to DL) will be a flop - in reality, it had a decent opening weekend. Still, Spiderman (and Garfield) opened bigger.

by Anonymousreply 8806/18/2013

Elias Koteas does not have "universal appeal", he appeals to one fucking troll fanboy!

by Anonymousreply 8906/18/2013

R88, George Clooney is savvy enough to present himself as expensively dressed and very well groomed in public. There are many fraus who wish their men looked the same. Copying old-style movie stars, like Cary Grant, Clooney is also charming and flirtatious.

I'm sure George's offering guidance to Channing Tatum on how best to create a movie star worthy image. Of course Tatum's marriage to his Step Up dancing partner helps his conservative appeal.

How do Andrew Garfield and Ezra Miller do on the talk show circuit?

by Anonymousreply 9006/18/2013

[quote]Henry Cavill

Wrong. That "moment" was just that - a moment. After this past weekend ended, so did that moment and he went back into "who?" territory.

by Anonymousreply 9106/18/2013

R91, Henry Cavill needs to quickly associate himself with a high profile charity. Do they still need workers in tornado-ville? I don't mean a quick photo-op either. He needs to tap into the desires of the Mid West where his movie did well.

by Anonymousreply 9206/18/2013

Tony Danza

by Anonymousreply 9306/18/2013

Channing Tatum indeed. But to keep that status he needs White House Down to be a success.

by Anonymousreply 9406/18/2013

I saw Ezra Miller at a q&a for We Need to Talk About Kevin, in the director's hometown Glasgow. Sadly La Swinton didn't show. :(

Ezra is cool in person and very funny.. I wouldn't have guessed gay other than a slight gay goth vibe, not like the flamer in Wallflower. He has a pretty good personality and is smart.

r90 is certainly right about Clooney being well turned out. Just could never stand him physically or talent wise but I'll give him credit for his causes.

by Anonymousreply 9506/18/2013

Shia pissed off his sugar daddy Spielberg R65. The moment he started badmouthing the only reason he was famous in the first place - Spielberg - his career was over.

Though he's not an It Boy quite yet, I'm guessing Jeremy Irvine will be soon. Why? Same reason as Shia: Spielberg discovered him and thinks he's great.

It's all about who you know and who's backing you and has the power and influence to help you succeed.

Plus, he's way cuter than Rat-Face Shia and doesn't appear to have Shia's attitude problem or lack of gratitude.

by Anonymousreply 9606/18/2013

R96 Thank God. Jeremy Irvine is thousands of times better looking than that Shia creature, whom I hope never to have to look at again. What was Spielberg thinking?

by Anonymousreply 9706/18/2013

R97, Knowing DL gossips you should be asking what was Shia so good at that made Spielberg fall in lust?

by Anonymousreply 9806/18/2013

Is Spielberg gay now, too?

by Anonymousreply 9906/18/2013

what do you mean, "now"?

by Anonymousreply 10006/18/2013

R100 Really? I have never heard that before. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 10106/18/2013

The S.S rumours on here are extremely unsavoury.

by Anonymousreply 10206/18/2013

No way is Channing Tatum the "It Boy." He still has a looooooooooooong way to go.

by Anonymousreply 10306/18/2013

R103, we are not stating he is the new contender for the Oscar race! For instance, Daniel Day Lewis never was a It boy.

But lately, he has had several successes with different types of movies, people in the business like him, and he really is up and coming. More and more directors turn to him. And people in the media are very interested in him. For most people he is a relatively new guy and that makes him interesting to them (+ they like his persona).

In 2012 and right now (2013), he is the It boy.

Doesn't mean he will keep the title.

by Anonymousreply 10406/18/2013

What about Last of the Mohicans, r104? Didn't DDL have a brief window of movie stardom there? I think that's when I first noticed him cause that film was big.. but I do remember the ultra method scenes from My Left Foot. Never connected the two.

And I remember Emma Thompson/Kenneth Branagh had a box office hit around that time when they went to Hollywood. These actors like to try things out when they get a bit of power.

by Anonymousreply 10506/18/2013

Ah, yes R105, DDL did have a bit of mainstream popularity at that time,

And the couple Emma T. And Kenneth B. were indeed a It couple for maybe one year ? People found them very classy. Somehow, K.B. quickly outgrew his welcome. But he still has a career, he's just not the darling child anymore. I don't think people dislike him as a person, but the public grew tired very quickly of his "theatrical" way of acting in his movies.

by Anonymousreply 10606/18/2013

THIS is why Channing Tatum is the "IT" boy!

by Anonymousreply 10706/18/2013

But what about Channing's neck? Will it explode? Bets are on, and that may keep him from being the "it" boy for the time being.

by Anonymousreply 10806/18/2013

Channing has rat teeth. Yech

by Anonymousreply 10906/18/2013

[quote]we are not stating he is the new contender for the Oscar race!

Where did anyone make that claim?

Channing Tatum had several successes, so did Mickey Mouse but he was never the "It Boy." It takes more than appearing in several successful films.

R81 had it right. 90% of those posting in this thread never heard of Elinor Glyn. They haven't the slightest notion that there was even a song about "IT."

Ann Miller would happily do a reprise to sing, "Channing Tatum has not got IT!"

by Anonymousreply 11006/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!