Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #114 - v2.0 - "THE TRIP TO BEAUTIFUL PIPPIN" Edition

Not knowing what caused the demise of v1.0, we'll keep it short but sweet.

Tony Fever - congrats to all the winners! Congrats to all the losers! A good time was had by all!

NPH's Magic - Segway, or something else? And where's HIS musical?

Megan Hilty's Schedule - how will she ever be able to do "Bullets Over Can-Can"?

Once in Love With Mamie - Ben back on the market, who's biting?

NPH in Wildcat! NPH in BUTT-rio Square! NPH in the DOLLY revival! NPH IS Carmelina!

Okay, that's it - the "Best Poster" award goes to ....

by Anonymousreply 60206/29/2013

The Award goes to --- TA DA --- you of course! Even in its second version it's still genius! Thanks, as always, OP!

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2013

It's pronounced BOO-TREE-O!

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2013

Thank you, O Wondrous OP! You always manage to rise above DL's vagaries.

by Anonymousreply 306/15/2013

At last, my life is complete again...

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2013

Will First Date and Forever Tango save the summer after 6 shows close by August? Charlotte St. Martin is gonna have to do a lot of spin regarding the dwindling grosses and attendance on Broadway. Maybe she can blame it on the good weather.

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2013

***CAROLEE CARMELLO SAYS KATHIE LEE IS "BURNT" BY SCANDALOUS FLOP!***

***CAROLEE CARMELLO ABSOLUTELY LOVES JUDY & LIZA!***

***CAROLEE CARMELLO IS PISSED TUCK EVERLASTING IS POSTPONED!***

***CAROLEE COMMENTS ON HER SON KYLE'S DEATH ON SMASH!***

***CAROLEE! CAROLEE! CAROLEE! CAROLEE!***

by Anonymousreply 606/15/2013

Happy 40th birthday to NPH today!!

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2013

What is the REAL story behind the Victoria Clark vs.SISTER ACT fall out a few years back?

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2013

Is it my imagination or does it seems as though #114 - V2.0 is doomed? Maybe we should bury #114 in all its guises and move on to #115. Vote, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2013

Anyone know about the workshop casting of Bullets Over Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2013

Woody didn't like me.

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013

Another betrayal, Patti. Make it the first chapter of your new book.

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2013

Can you imagine Patti trying to play Berthe? That's asking a lot of the trapeze. Even Orion would crumble under the dead weight.

by Anonymousreply 1306/15/2013

I'm itching to get out of Michigan. Did someone say they're looking for a replacement Bethe?

Can she ride the trapeze in her wheelchair?

by Anonymousreply 1406/15/2013

r8 - Ms. Clark was unhappy with the keys of her Sister Act music. She asked to have them changed and someone refused. Not sure if it was the producers or the composer. As a result, she asked to be released from her contract early because singing her music in the original keys was damaging her voice. Suddenly the producers were ready to switch her keys, but Ms. Clark said it was too late … she needed vocal rest.

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2013

Thanks R15

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2013

Patti was fine on the trapeze in Women on the Verge... when I saw it, r13.

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2013

Pills and liquor, R16. Or was that Elsie?

by Anonymousreply 1906/15/2013

Patti could hardly get on the Music Hall stage Sunday in her garden hose dress. Trapeze? Don't be ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 2006/15/2013

How dare you! [BOLD]HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT, R20![/BOLD]

STOP THIS THREAD! STOP THIS NOW!

by Anonymousreply 2106/15/2013

Just got a brochure from Playwrights Horizons. Virtually every play they're doing is written and directed by a woman. When did gender become a criteria for talent?

by Anonymousreply 2206/15/2013

Is Carolee still married to Greg Edelman? He wasn't with her at the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 2306/15/2013

[quote]Is Carolee still married to Greg Edelman? He wasn't with her at the Tonys.

Why bother?

by Anonymousreply 2406/15/2013

Carolee and Gregg are ... Uh ... separated right now. Don't expect them to get back together any time soon, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 2506/16/2013

Will the idiot who keeps trying to make "Rory O liver transplant" happen just stop? It was Larry Kramer who had the transplant, as was made clear to you numerous times on the old thread, but you seem to think it's funny to keep beating the dead horse.

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2013

Orion Griffiths from PIPPIN strips down to a speedo.

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2013

Thanks, Matt!

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2013

[quote]Can she ride the trapeze in her wheelchair?

only if Stritch strategically conceals pints, liters and half gallons of vodka.

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2013

Was very disappointed to see the NY staging of Pippin.

I saw an overseas production of Pippin during the original rollout that was stunning- especially as the show only has one good song. The set was Italian architecture made out of rope, and it scrolled upwards in one continuous roll from a hidden slit that extended across the stage at the front. The actors climbed across it, and their makeup was utterly sensational -- all monochrome very extreme Commedia dell Arte. Never forgotten it.

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2013

More on Carolee and Gregg! What happened??

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2013

I heard that Benjamin Walker cheated on Mamie throughout their engagement and marriage. Anyone in the know?

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2013

Shut the fuck up R30 Pippin doesn't have a weak song in the whole score. The NY production is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2013

I thought Vicky's disenchantment with Sister Act was her too tight wimple.

Though a too tight wimple did wonders for Kate Hepburn's jaw line throughout her later career.

by Anonymousreply 3406/16/2013

The wimple constricted her jaw and neck movement, she claimed.

by Anonymousreply 3506/16/2013

Yup

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2013

r32 I thought it was because they were on separate coasts. He is hot as hell and very talented. He was supposed to be the Groff role in SPRING AWAKENING. Did all the workshops. But then looked to old.

by Anonymousreply 3706/16/2013

Attending the Guare play at Atlantic Theater Co. today. Will report back later.

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2013

He did not do ALL the workshops.

by Anonymousreply 3906/16/2013

R30 the macrame set coming out of the floor was the concept of the original Broadway production. I saw the PIPPIN revival at ART in Cambridge and hoped that they would use the same effect to bring the circus tent up from the floor in front of our eyes. No dice. Then I heard it was moving to Broadway. Again, I hoped they would add this magical reveal of the tent rising from the stage floor, but alas it was not to be.

I hate it when Patina opens the curtain and the circus is in full swing, so to speak. Nothing magical about that at all.

by Anonymousreply 4006/16/2013

Patti and Neal had harsh words with each other backstage at the Tonys. And not one fucking stagehand had an IPhone????

by Anonymousreply 4106/16/2013

Now, why in the world would Neal and Patti have words while they are at work, live no less.

by Anonymousreply 4206/16/2013

Maybe because they were backstage and not in front of a camera?

by Anonymousreply 4306/16/2013

Seeing bare chested Orion in those shorts is magical enought for me!

by Anonymousreply 4406/16/2013

So sick of Patti LuPone! She's like a puss filled pimple that needs to be popped.

by Anonymousreply 4506/16/2013

My puss stinks!

by Anonymousreply 4606/16/2013

Benjamin Walker is dead to show business. He and his career are officially over.

I mean, that's what I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 4706/16/2013

Tony Yazbeck SHIRTLESS in the dream ballet from ON THE TOWN. Hotness! And he has a beautiful ass too.

by Anonymousreply 4806/16/2013

Tennessee Williams' 2-Character Play cancelled today after only 2 previews - what's the deal?

by Anonymousreply 4906/16/2013

[quote]Maybe because they were backstage and not in front of a camera?

No shit Sherlock, it still doesn't explain why Neal would fight with anyone backstage while he is working.

by Anonymousreply 5006/16/2013

I thought Neil and Patti were good friends. Plus, what would they fight about at the Tonys? He would have been much too busy to spend time fighting - or even chatting - with someone.

by Anonymousreply 5106/16/2013

Patti has a failing memory and she thought she was supposed to sing " Everything's Coming Up Roses" again.

by Anonymousreply 5206/16/2013

Patti was upset when she learned that one of NPH's stunts was to appear in the white "Evita" dress and sing a mush-mouthed version of "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina."

She begged him not to and he relented but it led to tension, especially when Bernadette put the white dress on and started mocking Patti backstage, to the delight of all.

by Anonymousreply 5306/16/2013

So who watched the special Great Performances broadcast of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA?

Fess up, bitches.

Sarah Brightman looks and sounds every bit as she did 30 years ago.

And you can interpret that any way you'd like.

by Anonymousreply 5406/16/2013

whoops! every bit as WONDERFUL as she did...

by Anonymousreply 5506/16/2013

Maybe Patti suggested Neal return to Bway in "The Music Man" and she could play Marian, prompting Neal to suggest Patti go water a bush.

by Anonymousreply 5606/17/2013

It's NEIL not NEAL you cuntbag!

by Anonymousreply 5706/17/2013

"I heard that Benjamin Walker cheated on Mamie throughout their engagement and marriage. Anyone in the know?"

That's not what I've heard from people who know them, r32 - their reports have been that Ben was like the lapdog throughout the relationship and Mamie was the entitled bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5806/17/2013

Can you elaborate r58? I've also heard that Mamie was the entitled bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5906/17/2013

Unfortunately, can't really elaborate with specific examples without implicating the people who know them who told me the stories... But in general, they were stories of her being rude and dismissive and condescending to him, even looking down on him because of his background (which I think was pretty modest socio-economically) vs. hers

by Anonymousreply 6006/17/2013

I can completely believe Mamie was a bitch; but I also believe he married her for a potential career boost - and that she realized it.

by Anonymousreply 6106/17/2013

Patti shoulda strangled that smarmy douchebag Neil. She could have claimed temporary insanity brought on by menopause as her defense.

by Anonymousreply 6206/17/2013

What idiot would marry Mamie for a career boost? Oh yeah, the star of Emily Owens, MD, will get you noticed for jobs!

Snort.

by Anonymousreply 6306/17/2013

Mamie Gummer barely has her own career. How could she help his?

by Anonymousreply 6406/17/2013

Thanks, R37. Yes, he *is* very talented. It just surprised me that their marriage ended so quickly, particularly when they'd been together for some years. Did they think getting married would resolve the issues in a bi-coastal relationship?

by Anonymousreply 6506/17/2013

Wow, R60- if that's how she behaved then she certainly deserved to get dumped.

by Anonymousreply 6606/17/2013

Mamie couldn't help his career but Ma Meryl certainly could.

by Anonymousreply 6706/17/2013

Thanks r60. It's interesting Mamie is rude like that obvious. Since Meryl and Don are well respected and beloved people, I thought they'd surely have taught this girl some manners and decency towards others no matter how she feels entitled and arrogant in her mind?? Especially when you look like THAT with no talent.

by Anonymousreply 6806/17/2013

being married to Meryl Streeps kid definitely puts you on another level career-wise. It isn't Mamie Gummer who opens doors, its the association with Mamie's mother that opens doors.

Mamie herself probably wouldn't have gotten an agent or even an audition for any of the jobs she has gotten if it weren't for her mother.

The way it works is this: Theater producers want Meryl Streep in a play on Broadway, they know it is both box office and prestige. If they hire her kid [s] they are one step closer to booking her. Or so the thinking goes.

For Benji Walker, sitting around the BBQ with well known directors and film people when he is at his mom in law's house, is getting business done LA style. The connections are priceless.

Meryl's kids were taught and do possess manners. However, you can hardly fault a young woman whose head gets out of whack because every producer on both coasts blows smoke up her ass and finds a way to hire her just to be in proximity to the prestige/cash cow that is Meryl.

People doted and treated Mamie and probably the other one WAY out of proportion to any limited talent she has demonstrated.

You can hardly fault Mamie for having a kind of contempt for these middle aged producers agents and directors lavishing her with great jobs just because her mother might hear about it and approve.

Many people become unhinged by the kind of ass kissing fame or fame by association produces and start acting badly at least for a time.

My guess is Mamie will smarten up and behave better as she gets more perspective.

But again who is more contemptible a 20 something woman with limited talent being offered the world or the silly fucks pandering to her in an effort to get her mother in a project?

by Anonymousreply 6906/17/2013

[quote]Pippin doesn't have a weak song in the whole score.

Oh, honestly. Get some sleep.

by Anonymousreply 7006/17/2013

R69, I agree with you, the last paragraph in particular.

by Anonymousreply 7106/17/2013

Walked out of "Far From Heaven" last night. Just awful. That's what music writing for the Broadway stage is like today? And "Grey Gardens" was so great!

Nancy Anderson is Marilyn Miller reborn!

by Anonymousreply 7206/17/2013

Oh, poor Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 7306/17/2013

Mamie is 29?!?! She is going to look like a hag by 33.

by Anonymousreply 7406/17/2013

You missed absolutely nothing r72. Smart move to leave early.

by Anonymousreply 7506/17/2013

I was at Far From Heaven last night as well and I liked most of it. Although, Kelli's baby bump was distracting considering the cinched waists of most of the rest of the gals in the show.

Earlier in the day I saw A Kid LIke Jake at Lincoln Center. STEER CLEAR OF IT.

by Anonymousreply 7606/17/2013

Care to elaborate on JAKE, r76? It's hard to take a "steer clear" seriously without some kind of details.

by Anonymousreply 7706/17/2013

Yes, give us more details, r76!

by Anonymousreply 7806/17/2013

You want to steer clear of something? Try VENICE.

by Anonymousreply 7906/17/2013

Somebody spill the beans on Gregg and Carolee!? What next, finding out Marin and Jason also split up?

by Anonymousreply 8006/17/2013

It was Carolee who walked out. Even leaving the kids with Greg. Maybe she thought see was SCANDALOUS!

by Anonymousreply 8106/17/2013

But she took her daughter to the Tonys!

by Anonymousreply 8206/17/2013

I don't know about Don, but Meryl is not beloved, respected, but not beloved. She can be extremely cold. Many people, including one daughter said that he role in the Devil Wears Prada was pretty much Meryl playing Meryl. She is also not very bright. She may be a good mimic and can pick up accents easily, but she is otherwise neither intelligent, nor intellectually curious.

I think Mamie copies Meryl's behavior, but doesn't have the career to support such behavior. One can get away with that in the middle and end of a career, but not at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 8306/17/2013

Gregg looks and acts like he'd be a total snooze in the sack

by Anonymousreply 8406/17/2013

[quote]She is also not very bright. She may be a good mimic and can pick up accents easily, but she is otherwise neither intelligent, nor intellectually curious.

That surprises me. I'm not a Meryl Loon by any measure, but she always struck me as an intelligent actress.

How do you know this?

by Anonymousreply 8506/17/2013

[quote]I don't know about Don, but Meryl is not beloved, respected, but not beloved. She can be extremely cold. Many people, including one daughter said that he role in the Devil Wears Prada was pretty much Meryl playing Meryl. She is also not very bright. She may be a good mimic and can pick up accents easily, but she is otherwise neither intelligent, nor intellectually curious.

Why has Glenn stopped signing her posts?

by Anonymousreply 8606/17/2013

NPH to play Hedwig???? Oh, I hope this actually comes to pass.

by Anonymousreply 8706/17/2013

Also, Two-Character Play cancels performances due to Plummer's injury, but says it's still going to open.

by Anonymousreply 8806/17/2013

[quote]That surprises me. I'm not a Meryl Loon by any measure, but she always struck me as an intelligent actress. How do you know this?

He doesn't, he made it up.

by Anonymousreply 8906/17/2013

Why Broadway? It'll look very stagey in an old fashioned Bway house. So stupid, unless they could get Studio 54.

by Anonymousreply 9006/17/2013

I have a friend whose father was President of Vassar when Streep was a student. She said he liked her very much and stayed in touch with her--he was trained at Oxford, Dean at Chicago, and had two very bright daughters, so I doubt he had much use for dummies--remember, he knew her before she became "Meryl Streep."

by Anonymousreply 9106/17/2013

I thought we were moving to NY for me to return to the stage but I see once again it is all about Neil.

by Anonymousreply 9206/17/2013

What other Williams obscurities could be revived?

by Anonymousreply 9306/17/2013

That's bullshit about Meryl Streep. I've worked on crew of two of her movies as well as The Good Wife (Mamie's done some episodes), Zero Hour (Grace did some episodes) and The Good Shepherd (Henry worked a few days on it).

Streep is well-read and seems highly intuitive-she just doesn'r choose to flex her intellectual muscles for us all to have a gander at. And she's warm and funny in general, although she was massively pissed off at Nancy Meyers on It's Complicated and it showed.

As for her kids they're all well educated and thus seem reasonably bright. Henry on that Good Shepherd set was very charming, he smiled and laughed a lot. He was quite adorable. I suspect he's his mother's son. Mamie and Grace were another story-both seemed cold and distant, seemed to get along fine with the other actors but rarely interacted with the crew. Maybe it's because they have a lot to prove. Or maybe they're more like their father, who's apparently an extremely private, guarded individual due to both his role as the husband of a world-famous actress and as a sculptor who always works alone. On Zero Hour Grace looks so much like her mother around the time of Kramer Vs. Kramer and Manhattan it's scary. But neither have her incredible ability to work in front of a camera. I doubt they ever will.

by Anonymousreply 9406/17/2013

Don and Meryl are both very bright, as are their kids. She may not always be the warmest individual, but puts on a good show in public. In private, she's very guareded around people she doesn't know. She does what she can to avoid contact with the public, except when necessary.

by Anonymousreply 9506/17/2013

julie white story about meryl

by Anonymousreply 9606/17/2013

"She does what she can to avoid contact with the public, except when necessary"

Just based on some of the posts here, can you blame her?

by Anonymousreply 9706/17/2013

R85 I know this because I know her, and that is as specific as I will be.

R91, that was in her 20s. She is now in her 60s. What you say may have been true then, but nobody is the person that they were in his/her 20s

R94, I agree with your comments about the kids and Don. I do not know the children in a professional context, but I would say your description is fair. The reason that I cannot comment on Don is that he is extremely private.

I agree that Meryl is highly intuitive. She is an actress, she can be warm when it suits her and when it serves her purpose. She can also be extremely cold and dismissive. And, in ways that are just inappropriate. I would be the first to give her a break if her privacy was being invaded or someone was inappropriate to her. And just as an FYI, I say this not because I knew her during The Devil Wears Prada and she was taking the character home with her at the end of the day. (I have known her before, during, after Prada.)

R95, I agree with everything but the bright part, well... not sure about *all* of the kids.

by Anonymousreply 9806/17/2013

You can't do the kind of work Streep does and not be intelligent.

She is selectively friendly and warm, but she is genuine, a lesson Mamie hasn't learned.

But the idea that Ben Walker could have gotten career advancement by sitting around the barbecue with all the directors and producers who come to lunch is ridiculous. She doesn't have those kinds of parties, for one thing - industry parties - and she doesn't live in a place where she could call up Steve Spielberg and say "Come on over for barbecue this afternoon."

by Anonymousreply 9906/17/2013

[quote] You can't do the kind of work Streep does and not be intelligent.

Actually, you can. Perhaps one of the stupidest people I ever met was Maureen Stapleton, but she gave highly intelligent performances. Obviously, a lot of people confuse intuition with intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 10006/17/2013

Maureen Stapleton wasn't doing complicated accent work - and speaking in foreign languages convincingly. There's only so much being a "mimic" can accomplish.

by Anonymousreply 10106/17/2013

Thanks R96 I love Julie White. Incredibly underrated actress.

I've always wanted her to spill the dirt on why she left GRACE UNDER FIRE. Brett and her had such great chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 10206/17/2013

"one of the stupidest people I ever met was Maureen Stapleton, but she gave highly intelligent performances"

No, she came across as a sweet but eventually batty drunk, in all but her Oscar-winning role.

by Anonymousreply 10306/17/2013

Anyone who's ever seriously studied acting understands that it is not an intellectual pursuit. Access to emotion is what makes a great actor, not IQ.

And I like Meryl, but there are other actors I'd rather watch onscreen or onstage.

by Anonymousreply 10406/17/2013

I wasn't aware Maureen Stapleton was known as a mimic.

by Anonymousreply 10506/17/2013

So, what does anyone know about this cast of Evita? I saw them and talked with them after the show. Uniformly gay boys and very cute. Some have been/will be on Broadway.

Charlie BradytChe

Ronald L. BrowntPeron

Jane BuntingtMistress/Understudy for Eva

Mathew DeGuzmantEnsemble

Anna EilinsfeldtEva

Timothy EllistEnsemble

John RiddletMagaldi

Lauren HopkinstEnsemble

Jennifer JancuskatEnsemble

Sean MaclaughlintMagaldi

Fred OdgaardtEnsemble

Khori PetinaudtEnsemble

Christopher VotEnsemble

Michael WilliamstEnsemble

by Anonymousreply 10606/17/2013

r106, what production of Evita are you talking about? Are we supposed to know at what theatre this cast of nobodies is currently performing the show?

by Anonymousreply 10706/17/2013

R98, b.s. to your response about how Meryl may have been bright in her 20's but "times change."

My brother is Meryl's age. He was bright in his 20's and he's still very bright. Just like you were stupid in your 20's and you're still stupid.

by Anonymousreply 10806/17/2013

I just googled some names, R107. They're performing at the Flat Rock Playhouse in North Carolina. I didn't google everyone, but I did see that Anna Eilinsfeld was Elphaba in the Nat'l tour and u/s on Bway.

But, R106 I don't know much else.

by Anonymousreply 10906/17/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 11006/17/2013

lord, Julie White is irritating.

by Anonymousreply 11106/17/2013

Julie White is good in Ann. Of course she's only got a few lines. And she's recorded.

by Anonymousreply 11206/17/2013

Julie White should have won that Razzie she was nominated for. Worst Supporting Actress, indeed.

PS. I deny the whole story. We'd use the Marriott.

by Anonymousreply 11306/17/2013

Julie White is a very funny actress. She also has a terrific voice, or she did, back in the day. She'd be a great Mame.

by Anonymousreply 11406/17/2013

Is it true that Kathleen Chalfant's girlfriend had the orginal thread deleted?

by Anonymousreply 11506/17/2013

I only saw a couple of the nine replies, so I don't know what it was.

by Anonymousreply 11606/17/2013

"Looks fade, stupid is forever"

by Anonymousreply 11706/17/2013

Five New Musicals Top $1 Million at Box Office After Tony Awards:

by Anonymousreply 11806/17/2013

I did a musical with Julie White and anything other than the simplest melodic line is beyond her.

by Anonymousreply 11906/17/2013

[quote]Five New Musicals Top $1 Million at Box Office After Tony Awards

That could've been MEEEEEE!

by Anonymousreply 12006/17/2013

Ben and Mamie were both appearing together in Roundabout's revival of Dangerous Liaisons a few years back. I went to the stage door after the show, and they came out after everyone else had left. I said a few complimentary things to them about their performances. Ben was very nice and friendly. Mamie was... well, not un-nice, but ... I guess the best word is "suspicious." Like I was going to ask for something from her. It was kind of weird. I've never gotten that vibe from another actor at the stage door before or since.

After reading this thread, I kind of understand her reaction better. But I would say that their reactions were so different that I was surprised to find out later that they were an item. They didn't seem like the most compatible people in the world.

I've also gone to the stage door for a show featuring her sister Grace, and my interaction with Grace was completely ordinary, with none of that weird vibe.

by Anonymousreply 12106/17/2013

I don't think the cumulative gross of Scandalous reached a million. I will always remember that tacky commercial where the "real" theater going, horribly dressed actress screamed that seeing the show was on her bucket list! Even the commercial was as phony as Kathy Lee. BIG FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 12206/17/2013

PIPPIN is not a "new musical." And some of the other aren't completely new, either.

by Anonymousreply 12306/17/2013

Mamie Gummer has managed an epic fail on TV: starring in 2 canceled network series. Her film career is nonexistent. Her stage appearances have been politely received but unspectacular. Every possible door has been opened for her.

And most people have no idea who she is. Those who do don't care.

by Anonymousreply 12406/17/2013

Seconding R10's request. What's the word on Bullets?

by Anonymousreply 12506/18/2013

Ben Walker is nice. Kind of funny and goofy. Laughs a lot. Why'd he marry a sourpuss like Mamie?

by Anonymousreply 12606/18/2013

Now that R121 is imagining he was actually in a relationship with Mamie Gummer for a few fleeting moments maybe it's time to call a moratorium on this gross speculation. Nobody deserves this.

by Anonymousreply 12706/18/2013

You're too literal, r123 - it means musicals new to Broadway this season - ie, not holdovers from last year. All the shows mentioned opened since January.

by Anonymousreply 12806/18/2013

Who's likely on the list for the Dianne Wiest role in Bulletts? Would they just look at Americans, or Brits as well?

by Anonymousreply 12906/18/2013

I've met Don and Meryl numerous times. Both are very well read and a pleasure to converse with. He's reserved but genuinely nice and very encouraging of young artists. Meryl can be a hoot once she relaxes around you. She's friendly but won't take BS from anyone. She can get pissed off but never throws diva tantrums and remains professional on set. She's also lightened up as she's gotten older. Grace (?) saying that Meryl was playing her icy, cruel self in Prada, was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 13006/18/2013

Even though Hedwig is a small-scale musical and would look better in a rundown theater, who wants to bet the producers will count NPH as a big box-office draw and need to book a barn like the often dark St. James or another monstrous hippodrome for their show?

by Anonymousreply 13106/18/2013

Be careful Neil. Sitcoms stars don't always draw the crowds.

by Anonymousreply 13206/18/2013

of course shows keep breaking box office records--thats what happens when you keep raising the ticket prices

by Anonymousreply 13306/18/2013

R121, maybe Mamie has seen All About Eve a few times.

by Anonymousreply 13506/18/2013

Maureen Stapleton was not stupid. She was very bright actually but she was also a woman with issues.

Only someone with a very narrow understanding of intelligence would ever call Maureen stupid.

Stage actors particularly the ones who give successful performances regularly are usually highly intelligent. Being a great stage actor requires BOTH a great intuitive ability and an analytical ability. You can be a bit of a dolt and have a director guide you but if you see someone consistently do interesting work onstage they are probably very bright.

I knew Maureen and I have worked with Meryl. Both are highly intelligent women. Meryl is much more guarded but compared to some of the loons I have dealt with, she is pretty down to earth. Meryl does most of her work before she gets on set, she is rather calculating and I have seen other actors put off by what could be described as a kind of upstaging. The remake of Manchurian Candidate is an example of her desperately trying to get the focus of the film on her. Most of her directors are complicit in this agenda and she can appear overdone on screen as a result of this.

Meryl is highly inventive but she calculates every move and she is expert at manipulating directors. Actually, her reputation pre-manipulates directors into wanting her approval and she exploits that to the max.

The thing most people don't know about her is she is VERY competitive with other actors. She doesn't like this about herself and doesn't like for other people to notice it so she makes a show of being a "regular gal" But she plays for keeps when it comes to the work.

Meryl makes a show of being humble but she really isn't. She isn't overly arrogant either but her favorite role is playing "humble star"

Maureen was, in my mind, a much fuller more interesting actress than Meryl is or maybe wants to be because Maureen was spontaneous and allowed herself and others the room to create. She could be crazy but she had a kind of vulnerability and intelligence that was mesmerizing when she was on.

She was not, however, by any measure stupid.

I think the poster who said Ben Walker was in a position to benefit from Meryl's BBQ's was giving a somewhat tongue in cheek metaphor there, not to be taken literally as one poster seems to have done.

The poster who said being Meryl's son in law is a career advantage is right on target for reasons already given here.

Meryl is many things that would surprise her fans but she is not stupid. Mamie is simply not an actress, or at least a very limited one. Meryl has to know that. Grace is actually a little better but nowhere near the level girls her age who actually trained and got an agent on their own merits are.

People here might not be aware that Meryl's agent at CAA took both girls on and he is accountable to momma bear for what he can do for them.

I like Meryl [don't really know Don, but he seems fine] but while she isn't who she seems to be, she is far from stupid.

r121, you are a little frightening with your habit of hanging around stage doors. Mamie's performance in that play was pretty dreadful, so she was probably on target looking at you like you had an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 13606/18/2013

The Helen Mirren-starrer, The Audience, isn't a National Theatre production, am I right?

by Anonymousreply 13706/18/2013

[quote]Stage actors particularly the ones who give successful performances regularly are usually highly intelligent.

I am guessing you are a stage actor

by Anonymousreply 13806/18/2013

Kate jennings Grant played The Dianne Wiest role in readings.

by Anonymousreply 13906/18/2013

R138, where will you be appearing next week with that Chaucerian wit?

by Anonymousreply 14006/18/2013

Enough with the Bummers, Don and Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 14106/18/2013

[quote]I did a musical with Julie White and anything other than the simplest melodic line is beyond her.

She was suggested for Mame, Mary, not Wozzeck.

by Anonymousreply 14206/18/2013

r142 A Jerry Herman score is well beyond her. I DO I DO was over her head. She is talented and daffy and delightful but she can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 14306/18/2013

R136, GET A BLOG!

by Anonymousreply 14406/18/2013

fuck off r144. I found r136 interesting and a reasonable antidote to the idiots waxing with faux authority about people they have never met.

by Anonymousreply 14506/18/2013

I remember reading an article in the Times years ago recounting the first rehearsal of "The Seagull" that starred Streep in the park.

The article talked about how nervous the actors were to work in front of her and they had to kind of have a "moment" to pull themselves together.

These are actors like Marcia Gay Harden and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Incredible the power of that kind of reputation.

by Anonymousreply 14606/18/2013

"Mothers and Sons" - best play McNally has written in years.

by Anonymousreply 14706/18/2013

OMG. Does that mean Mothers and Sons will transfer to Broadway? What is the nut? Is there a role for Mamie or Grace?

by Anonymousreply 14806/18/2013

I want r136 to post here more often!

I want r144 to get audited by the IRS.

by Anonymousreply 14906/18/2013

[quote]The article talked about how nervous the actors were to work in front of her and they had to kind of have a "moment" to pull themselves together....These are actors like Marcia Gay Harden and Phillip Seymour Hoffman....Incredible the power of that kind of reputation.

Especially since they're every bit as good as she is.

by Anonymousreply 15006/18/2013

"Mothers and Sons" might be such a strong piece because it didn't go through the workshop meatgrinder. According to the stories I've read (and also briefly spoke w/McNally), the Bucks County playhouse approached him, he gave them the piece, got actors & a director he liked, and it went into rehearsal and opened. So old school. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 15106/18/2013

R136, this may be the Old Aesop's fable about the three blind men describing an elephant, but I knew Maureen Stapelton most of my life. Clearly, you never tried to do a crossword puzzle with her, or went to the supermarket with her, or saw her flumoxed by simple long addition. This went beyond not having life skills, she was not very bright.

As to Meryl, you really have not contradicted me at all. You say she is savvy, competitive, calculating, and fake, not intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 15206/18/2013

Spot on r130. But keep in mind, with Don, it may just be that he has a little buzz on. Great guy though. Love his art.

by Anonymousreply 15306/18/2013

Jesus fucking Christ 75 posts about whether or not Meryl, Mamie, and or Grace Gummer are rude at stage doors or are smart?

What happened to posts about chorus boys fucking and Patti Lupone throwing a vat of lard at Bernadette Peters on the red carpet of the Tony Awards?

by Anonymousreply 15406/18/2013

R154, They got played out as well. There is only so much one can say about Wes Tay-tay, flip-flops, Kathleen Chalfont's girlfriend, and Rory having a liver transplant. Unless someone can come up with some summer stock gossip, this thread will probably be snore city until August.

by Anonymousreply 15506/18/2013

R 154. You don't think there'll be any gossip about Zachary Levi, in NYC's own summer stock musical at the Longacre? Give it a chance...

by Anonymousreply 15606/18/2013

R154, do you have anything you can contribute to help this thread out?

by Anonymousreply 15706/18/2013

Hey...I've posted so far in this thread about Terrence McNally, Neil Patrick Harris and Tennessee Williams.

by Anonymousreply 15806/18/2013

Jesus r152 why don't you do us all a favor and let us in on how you define "intelligence"

Can someone be dyslexic and intelligent? Is navigating successfully through a grocery store an indication of intelligence?

Better yet, let us in on the grudge you have against Stapleton and Streep.

by Anonymousreply 15906/18/2013

Are they gonna replace Jane Lynch with another tall lesbian in Annie or just close the POS. They are spending a fortune on ads to promote her. She only has 4 weeks to go but someone could learn the part in a week. They are talking Andra McArdle on another site which would be great stunt casting.

by Anonymousreply 16006/18/2013

R160. A great stunt that would sell thirteen tickets. Mary Testa is what is needed. Now that indeed, would be a great stunt.

by Anonymousreply 16106/18/2013

Exactly, r151 - workshops and dramaturgs are the bane of good theater. And, if the show does come to NY (hopefully with the same cast), pray that it goes off-Broadway. It would get lost in a huge house.

by Anonymousreply 16206/18/2013

R136 talking about Ms. Streep being competitive reminds me of Kathy Bates talking about the 2002 Oscars when they were both nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Streep for ADAPTATION and Ms. Bates for ABOUT SCHMIDT. In an interview, Ms, Bates revealed that she and Streep commiserated after the award was given to Catherine Zeta-Jones. Apparently, they both "really wanted it" and all I could think of was, "You two greedy trolls have already won before. Streep twice, in fact. Give someone else a chance."

by Anonymousreply 16306/18/2013

r121, you have to realize that it's pretty ridiculous for anyone over the age of 18 to wait for actors at the stage door. I've done it with friends when there's either a treasured legend who is so beloved to us that we're dying to hear her speak a few words (e.g. Angela Lansbury) or a super-hottie who we enjoy the opportunity to swoon over up close and be ludicrous fanboys (e.g. Aaron Tveit). But we KNOW we're being ridiculous the whole time. You seem to expect a genuine interaction with these actors, and not realize that, no matter whether they're acting friendly to you or not, they're all actually itching to get out of there to either meet their friends or go home. (I guess the exception might be if you're very hot and the gay actors might enjoy being flirty with you.)

by Anonymousreply 16406/18/2013

[quote]Clearly, you never tried to do a crossword puzzle with her, or went to the supermarket with her, or saw her flumoxed by simple long addition. This went beyond not having life skills, she was not very bright.

Sorry Dear, but being eccentric, or quirky or even "scatterbrained" is no indication of intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 16506/18/2013

[quote]you have to realize that it's pretty ridiculous for anyone over the age of 18 to wait for actors at the stage door. I've done it with friends when there's either a treasured legend who is so beloved to us that we're dying to hear her speak a few words (e.g. Angela Lansbury) or a super-hottie who we enjoy the opportunity to swoon over up close and be ludicrous fanboys (e.g. Aaron Tveit). But we KNOW we're being ridiculous the whole time.

Oh smell you, you must be a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 16606/18/2013

[quote]What happened to posts about chorus boys fucking and Patti Lupone throwing a vat of lard at Bernadette Peters on the red carpet of the Tony Awards?

So what's the deal with LuPone and Peters? Do they hate each other as much as DL claims they do? Do they curse each other out in Italian?

by Anonymousreply 16706/18/2013

Sorry R166, but that poster is spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 16806/18/2013

[quote]but I knew Maureen Stapelton most of my life.

And yet you can't spell her name.

by Anonymousreply 16906/18/2013

I spelled it correctly the first time at R100. So, I made a mistake... whoopee!!!

And I love the poster who seems to feel that being overwhelmed by simple math is " eccentric, or quirky or even scatterbrained". Honey, if you were a woman of that generation and could not do rather simple addition, you were stupid. It is not as if she grew up relying on calculators.

by Anonymousreply 17006/18/2013

R151 and R162 -- plays can get caught up in development hell and that can damage them. But workshops and dramaturgs can be effective--hardly the bane of the American theater. That would be producers and ADs who don't know what they're doing.

Let's face it, McNally's output in uneven. I can't believe Deuce was the way it was because it was overly workshopped or dramaturged. Still worth it to see Angie and Marian together, but it wasn't a good play.

by Anonymousreply 17106/18/2013

Before I am leaped upon by typo police, of course I meant to say, "*is* uneven."

by Anonymousreply 17206/18/2013

[quote]And I love the poster who seems to feel that being overwhelmed by simple math is " eccentric, or quirky or even scatterbrained". Honey, if you were a woman of that generation and could not do rather simple addition, you were stupid. It is not as if she grew up relying on calculators.

Dyscalculia, look it up, fool. There was even a huge post about it here. Someone of Maureen's generation would not have been diagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 17306/18/2013

R154 This is one of the best theater threads in a long time. Beats reading five hundred posts about so name and his feet.

Keep it coming. Love the Meryl stories. This is what many threads at DL used to be like before the trolls and fantards destroyed the place.

by Anonymousreply 17406/18/2013

Inside Meryl stories and feets talk can and should coexist on the Theatre Gossip threads, r174!

Anybody seen any Broadway actors in flip-flops lately?

by Anonymousreply 17506/18/2013

R173, or she was just dumb as a box of hair.

The one of the few actors I would actually call intelligent is Fritz Weaver. Which leads to the question, why hasn't Encores done Baker Street? Has it ever been revived anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 17606/18/2013

I really enjoyed your insights, too, R136, they're on target.

I think Meryl Streep is selective when it comes to being "competitive." I worked on crew of Doubt and she could not have been more supportive of and generous to Amy Adams. There was a natural competitive edge with Philip Seymour Hoffman but that was the nature of their characters' relationship. She was absolutely a champion of Viola Davis. She was NOT HAPPY about the director John Patrick Shanley (who was the writer, too) deciding to totally reshoot Mrs. Miller's scene with Sister Aloysius 2 months later. She felt that it might have made Davis feel that she wasn't sufficiently good the first time. At a Q&A following a screening of Doubt the moderator asked Streep "Are there any moments when while watching this film you thought to yourself 'Yeah, I nailed this scene'?" And Streep replied "I don't really think along those lines but I'll tell you this-I watched the scene with Mrs. Miller and my character and I thought 'Well, it was pretty good the FIRST TIME we shot it, too!'l And she rolled her eyes at Shanley who was sitting next to her. He could only shrug and say "I just felt something was missing the first time we did it."

by Anonymousreply 17706/18/2013

So many stupid people in this thread. You don't have to be intelligent or even have any clue what you're talking about to give a fantastic acing performances. It's all pretend. Also, the fact your brother was smart in his 20s and later in his life adds nothing to the conversation unless you are stupidly asserting that all of mankind is like your brother. Geesh. And enough with the Streep/Gummer talk. So boring. Is anything interesting opening on Broadway in the fall?

by Anonymousreply 17806/18/2013

Bernadette Peters ain't too bright. But she's not a great actress either. Hmmmm...

by Anonymousreply 17906/18/2013

Not sure if Patti and Bernie are buddies or if they hate eachother but I do know that Patti was not happy when Peters was cast in Granny Get Your Gun and BP was less than thrilled when Patti's Gypsy got raves and hers was toast.

I would venture a guess and say they're polite but avoid eachother.

I thought Patti was brilliant at the beginning of her run in Gypsy. Unfortunately, towards the end she started going for cheap laughs and it seemed desperate. And, I'm sorry, but Peters was dismal and so was her production. It's sad that they tried to frump her up when previews started and everyone got scared and suddenly she had new wigs, costumes and make up to make her look sexier. If she wanted to play Rose I wish she had been brave and done it far away from Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 18006/18/2013

"Is anything interesting opening on Broadway in the fall?"

And you're calling others stupid?

by Anonymousreply 18106/18/2013

I don't think being bright or "well read" make a good actor. Drive, ambition, some talent, and as someone stated, emotional accessibility are major requirements. Add stamina and discipline for stage work.

I'm amused by the people knowing that people are "well read" from meeting them at a party. Maybe they read the blurbs in the NYT Book Review!

by Anonymousreply 18206/18/2013

Lansbury was also 'glammed up' for Broadway compared to how she looked in the London production.

by Anonymousreply 18306/18/2013

listen r178

oh why bother

by Anonymousreply 18406/18/2013

I've heard mixed things about Big Fish, which opens this fall--but at least it does sound interesting.

Norbert scores another Tony? Not if NPH can help it.

by Anonymousreply 18506/18/2013

I thought Peters was brilliant in GYPSY, which I saw late in the run. Not as well-acted as Daly, but sung better. And not as sunny as Lansbury, who was very good but not quite Rose.

Patty, I saw twice, once in Chicago and once at the beginning of her run in NY. I thought she had a lot of potential in Chicago, but she was awful in NYC - Arthur Laurents ruined her.

by Anonymousreply 18606/18/2013

[quote] - Arthur Laurents ruined her.

He ruined me too!

by Anonymousreply 18706/18/2013

[quote]I thought Peters was brilliant in GYPSY, which I saw late in the run.

I didn't see the show, just her performance on the Tonys that year when she was nominated for lead actress in a musical. Frankly, I thought she sang the fuck out of that song and figured she was a lock for the win. Imagine how shocked I was when she lost to the girl from HAIRSPRAY.

by Anonymousreply 18806/18/2013

[quote]Dyscalculia, look it up, fool.

I think Dyscalulia Foole is a fabulous drag queen name!

Veda, I'd like you to meet my good friends, Anita Mann and Dyscalulia Foole.

by Anonymousreply 18906/18/2013

Aladdin is coming. Will it suck?

by Anonymousreply 19006/18/2013

I did, too, R186.

[quote]I thought Peters was brilliant in GYPSY

I'd read Gypsy Rose Lee's book, well, memoir, and thought Peters was the sex doll that Herbie'd put up a lot from, until he left, worn out. Ms. Peters had the drive throughout; her Rose's Turn was pure theatre. For me! Yeah!

by Anonymousreply 19106/18/2013

What did you think about this year's Tony Awards? Survey says ...

by Anonymousreply 19206/18/2013

[quote]workshops and dramaturgs are the bane of good theater. And, if the show does come to NY (hopefully with the same cast), pray that it goes off-Broadway. It would get lost in a huge house.

The Booth, Golden, or Helen Hayes aren't huge and made for straight plays. The Shuberts should petition to get The Little Shubert on 42nd Broadway status. They purposely made it 499 seats, Broadway is 500 and up, but it has 9 wheelchair spots and those are still paying customers. It's been dark longer than it's been open.

by Anonymousreply 19306/18/2013

But DL fave Bobby Steggert is in the McNally play as well as Big Fish. Can he do both?

by Anonymousreply 19406/18/2013

Best Theatre Gossip Thread in years!

by Anonymousreply 19506/18/2013

Big Fish...shitty logo.

by Anonymousreply 19606/18/2013

What's the scoop on Ken Davenport, the producer linked at r192? He seems very full of himself, almost arrogant. But he does write well, and he's tall and handsome.

Who's had him? Any pix of him in flip-flops?

by Anonymousreply 19706/18/2013

Yes, agreed that Big Fish logo stinks.

Saw the final show of "Nice Work" last weekend. What a great show and cast..Kelli made a surprise appearance at the end and she looks like she's ready to pop at any moment. SJP & family in the audience and she looked really good in person.

by Anonymousreply 19806/18/2013

SJP would probably feel more at home seeing it in London. She could sit in the stalls.

by Anonymousreply 19906/18/2013

R177's story about Meryl is very telling:

She wants to DIRECT everything. Without actually being a director.

She's chosen to work with a lot of lightweight directors (eg, Phyllida Lloyd, twice) and co-stars (pals like Stanley Tucci) who will not stand in her way or disagree with her vision of how a given scene plays out. Sometimes her instincts are excellent. A lot of times... not so much.

She really is THE IRON LADY, in her own way.

by Anonymousreply 20006/18/2013

Can't believe there haven't been any posts yet about Patti's gig at London's Leicester Square Theatre this week. Critic Mark Shenton tweeted that the evening was billed at 75 minutes but ended up lasting 3 hours because Patti likes to talk...and dish. He tweeted she said very rude things about her Women On The Verge co-star Sherie Rene Scott but he wouldn't elaborate. And he revealed that she claimed to have been offered Elena Roger's replacement on Broadway in Evita but the money wasn't good enough!

Here's a review from The Stage newspaper:

by Anonymousreply 20106/18/2013

Why was Meryl pissed off with Nancy Meyers on It's Complicated?

by Anonymousreply 20206/19/2013

Because the script sucked, and Meyers likes to film take after take after take. Not the way Streep works.

by Anonymousreply 20306/19/2013

Expect a Tony-winning seasoned Broadway pro to take over Miss Hannigan for Jane Lynch. It doesn't take a lot of what the religious have to know that she'll whip those uppity little orphans into shape fast. She's stood her ground with much, much worse.

by Anonymousreply 20406/19/2013

R202, what R203 said. When Streep was promoting the release of Julie & Julia on Charlie Rose she was asked if she generally enjoyed the filmmaking process and she replied "Yes, I do, except when the director has you do something over and over and over and over and over and over and OVER AND OVER AND OVER." She had just wrapped It's Complicated with Meyers a month or so previously so it was obvious who she was talking about.

I forgot to mention in an earlier post that Roy Helland, her make-up/hair guy of over 30 years, is more than just that. He often runs interference for her and acts as a sort of personal assistant. He is known for cutting off and shutting down anyone on set who might in any way act sycophantic toward her, anyone who might gush over her. He has zero tolerance for that, probably because she hates being fawned over, too.

by Anonymousreply 20506/19/2013

R201 I guess she's not planning to do any more original cast albums. Sherie Rene pretty much controls that industry now.

by Anonymousreply 20606/19/2013

ANNIE is hemorrhaging money, and got no boost from its Tony appearance, even with Lynch getting the hand she did. Unless they do a mashup with Holland Taylor (as Miss HANNigan) and call it ANNie, they're closing when Lynch goes back to Hollywood in July.

Speaking of Holland (who's also out of work July 1), have she and Lynch hooked up yet?

Or is either one of them Kathleen Chalfant's gf?

by Anonymousreply 20706/19/2013

The next Miss Hannigan has already signed her contract, r207. Annie's making a run for it to last out the year and close at the new year.

by Anonymousreply 20806/19/2013

Thanks, R203 and R205.

by Anonymousreply 20906/19/2013

Why be so coy, r208? Just spill the name if you know.

by Anonymousreply 21006/19/2013

I gave you a big clue at 204, you couldn't get it from the religious reference? No bells went off?

Although she's done a fair amount of TV, she's a true Broadway baby, even though she lives in CA now.

If his retrospective ever makes it out of Tokyo, Hal won't be the only one of these "of Broadway" this season.

Capische?

by Anonymousreply 21106/19/2013

Got it, r211. And Lapine has worked with her before.

Too bad her career hasn't gone better. Only seems to replace now. But maybe when she gets her tentacles on this, it'll show what a pro can do

by Anonymousreply 21206/19/2013

Jeez, how the mighty have fallen. From the next Lucy to third replacement in a supporting role in a flailing and failing revival of a kids' show.

by Anonymousreply 21306/19/2013

I have complete Faith in r211.

by Anonymousreply 21406/19/2013

Faith Prince's name won't sell tickets either.

It certainly didn't when she replaced in LITTLE MERMAID.

The Palace will be dark by Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 21506/19/2013

Faith's name won't sell tix but at least someone in this dreadful production might finally get Hannigan right.

by Anonymousreply 21606/19/2013

Does Larry Lunetta automatically get a job in the pit whenever Faith replaces in a Broadway show?

They should have hired Debra Messing - she's out of work now, hanging around Broadway, and is a bigger name draw than probably even Jane Lynch!

by Anonymousreply 21706/19/2013

Doesn't Messing have a new CBS show in the fall or, did the pilot not get picked up?

by Anonymousreply 21806/19/2013

Beautiful: The Carole King Musical- the next Leader of the Pack/Baby it's You!/Ring of Fire or the next Jersey Boys?

by Anonymousreply 21906/19/2013

Faith didn't help THE LITTLE MERMAID when she took over for SRS.

by Anonymousreply 22006/19/2013

Very good R199 w&w.

by Anonymousreply 22106/19/2013

Speaking of Faith, what ever happened to that cross gender 'Guys and Dolls'? Nick Adams as Adelaide and Lea DeLaria for whatever she wants.

by Anonymousreply 22206/19/2013

[quote]Streep replied "I don't really think along those lines but I'll tell you this-I watched the scene with Mrs. Miller and my character and I thought 'Well, it was pretty good the FIRST TIME we shot it, too!'l And she rolled her eyes at Shanley who was sitting next to her.

I'm sorry, but Streep is not a fucking director. And if she's properly in the moment when she's working, she's really in no position to tell whether a scene is good or bad from a directorial point of view.

Actors are unbearable when they start this shit.

by Anonymousreply 22306/19/2013

James Lapine seems to have a reputation for fucking up revivals of sure-fire no-miss shows like Annie and The Diary of Anne Frank.

He is simply too pseudo-intellectual to trust the material.

by Anonymousreply 22406/19/2013

I said, WOODY DIDN'T LIKE ME.

by Anonymousreply 22506/19/2013

Faith Prince? Who? If they want to fill seats, they should have gone for the gold: Carol Burnett herself! Gone well before before Labor Day...

by Anonymousreply 22606/19/2013

Renée Elise Goldsberry Will Star in I’m Getting My Act Together and Taking It on the Road at City Center!

by Anonymousreply 22706/19/2013

The thought of Patti LuPone in the recent Evita cracks me up. Who would have played Magaldi? Michael Crawford?

by Anonymousreply 22806/19/2013

It's a shame Caroline O'Connor didn't get a Tony nom for Christmas Story - it might have given her the boost to get the ANNIE gig.

by Anonymousreply 22906/19/2013

If Patti were to replace in the recent Evita revival, should would have had to stand stage right watching during the dance numbers. Who could lift that fat cow?

by Anonymousreply 23006/19/2013

[qote]Faith Prince? Who? If they want to fill seats, they should have gone for the gold: Carol Burnett herself!

Carol is eighty, I'm sure first, they couldn't afford her and I doubt she wants to, let alone have to work that hard anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23106/19/2013

"James Lapine seems to have a reputation for fucking up revivals of sure-fire no-miss shows like Annie and The Diary of Anne Frank. He is simply too pseudo-intellectual to trust the material."

Agreed, "pseudo" being the operative part of that word.

by Anonymousreply 23206/19/2013

R197- Ken Davenport is "almost arrogant"?

That's like saying Kim Kardashian is almost stupid.

by Anonymousreply 23306/19/2013

[quote]I'm sorry, but Streep is not a fucking director.

Well, Shanley isn't really either, no matter what he thinks.

by Anonymousreply 23406/19/2013

Ken looks like a man of sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 23506/19/2013

[quote]Um...who?

Renée Elise Goldsberry...And Don't You Forget It!

by Anonymousreply 23606/19/2013

So, R178, you can make a claim that Meryl might have been smart in her 20's and isn't necessarily smart now but if someone says you might be wrong then they add nothing to the conversation. You're not adding much either in terms of content or intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 23706/19/2013

R237, R178 is not me. I am the one who first questioned Meryl's intelligence. I could add a lot more, but for privacy reasons, I don't want to give specifics. And, to be fair, the pro Meryl side is rather low on specifics as well.

Now, back to Baker Street. Has anyone ever seen a production of it?

by Anonymousreply 23806/19/2013

I love critical talk about my Mer-Mer! Keep it up!

by Anonymousreply 23906/19/2013

Carol Burnett? Why not ME?

by Anonymousreply 24006/19/2013

I'm pretty sure Ken is straight.

I'm also pretty sure that Ken spends a lot more time talking about being a producer, than he does being a producer.

by Anonymousreply 24106/19/2013

[quote]You seem to expect a genuine interaction with these actors, and not realize that, no matter whether they're acting friendly to you or not, they're all actually itching to get out of there to either meet their friends or go home. (I guess the exception might be if you're very hot and the gay actors might enjoy being flirty with you.)

This is 100% spot on.

by Anonymousreply 24206/19/2013

[quote]Now, back to Baker Street. Has anyone ever seen a production of it?

yes. Don't remember much except the sets were pretty amazing and Inga Swenson was lovely. Oh, at at the time I thought it was interesting to see 'that guy who married Arlene Francis' as the villian.

Pretty elabortate electronic billboard outside above the Broadway Theatre marquee. I remember that seeing that is what sold me to get a ticket to the show. It was either that or Flora, the Red Menace or Do I Hear a Waltz? I kinda regretted that I passed on seeing Flora.

by Anonymousreply 24306/19/2013

I believe that full color Playbill covers were first introduced at Baker Street. Does anyone else still have the memory genes to remember this, or am I just blowing smoke out of my ...?

by Anonymousreply 24406/19/2013

Maybe when the show first opened R244? My playbill is a black and white photo of Weaver, Swenson and Gabel.

by Anonymousreply 24506/19/2013

Enough about Streep. What is Sigourney Weaver like? She had to eat some major crow with the Tony noms recently.

by Anonymousreply 24606/19/2013

And now Faith in Annie is official

Next time, please give us more notice r208

I feel bad for her, joining these turkeys when theyr'e already gasping for breath

by Anonymousreply 24706/19/2013

Nice that Lapine believes that she was "born to play" a mean, bitter drunk.

by Anonymousreply 24806/19/2013

Annie is hemorrhaging money (R207)?

I know it's not a smash, but it's averaged about $900,000.00 a week over the last six months. Do you really think it's running costs are that high? I assume they're making profit- albeit only a bit most weeks.

At least Faith Prince might be funny. Kate Finneran really sucked. Really.

by Anonymousreply 24906/19/2013

[quote]Faith's name won't sell tix but at least someone in this dreadful production might finally get Hannigan right.

Right? What you really mean is copy Dear Dead Dorothy to a tee.

by Anonymousreply 25006/19/2013

[quote]Enough about Streep. What is Sigourney Weaver like?

Very smart, remarkably nice, charming & down-to-earth for a Big Movie Star. Insanely tall.

by Anonymousreply 25106/19/2013

Because, Betty, we have plans for you ourselves. Start practicing your acrobatic tricks, doll!

by Anonymousreply 25206/19/2013

[quote]You seem to expect a genuine interaction with these actors, and not realize that, no matter whether they're acting friendly to you or not, they're all actually itching to get out of there to either meet their friends or go home. (I guess the exception might be if you're very hot and the gay actors might enjoy being flirty with you.)

R242, That wasn't the case until recently. Mary Martin had it in her contract that she was to have flowers in her dressing room every performance and a car waiting for her at the stage door every evening. After the show she put on an evening gown and left the stage door handing flowers to her fans. As was the case with so many Broadway actors of the time, she felt she wasn't off stage until she was home.

I remember Angela Lansbury making a similar comment when she did Gypsy!. Yes, it was another time, but it is also why we have no stars on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 25306/19/2013

R253 Mary Martin was a bitter old closeted lesbian and a terrible parent.

by Anonymousreply 25406/19/2013

Oh gee, MM must have been a very bad person then, R254!

Regardless of what she was like IRL, she was a great star who played it to the hilt - including showing generosity towards her fans after the show.

by Anonymousreply 25506/19/2013

Big dyke, you know.

by Anonymousreply 25606/19/2013

Are there are actors that like meeting fans and getting the attention. Never met an actor without and ego and the need for ego boosts. Sure some consider it work, but not all.

by Anonymousreply 25706/19/2013

I have yet to meet an actor who is not full of himself and CRAVES the fans' attention.

by Anonymousreply 25806/19/2013

R258- I'm not so sure about Barbara Harris. She seemed pretty shy and insecure in public. However she was brilliant in THE APPLE TREE.

by Anonymousreply 25906/20/2013

Patti reportedly sang "With One Look" last night for the first time in 20 years during her show at the Leicester Square Theatre in London.

Does this mean ALW is croaking soon?

by Anonymousreply 26006/20/2013

[quote]Does this mean ALW is croaking soon?

No, just that Patti was begging for cheap applause.

by Anonymousreply 26106/20/2013

Saw Debs Messing's Seinfeld episode recently. Didn't realise she was actually skinny once.

by Anonymousreply 26206/20/2013

Did Patti's book sell well? I bought a copy and I thought it was pretty awful. Always the victim. Can't deny her talent and her love for acting but her opinion of herself is way out of control.

by Anonymousreply 26306/20/2013

Yes, Sigourney is impossibly tall and Mike Bloomberg is impossibly short. Talk about Mutt and Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 26406/20/2013

Speaking of Dr. Ruth, r264, Debra Jo Rupp's playing her in a one-woman show in Hartford right now.

And you know something, after slogging through ANN and I'LL EAT YOU LAST, this show really had something to it, mostly Ms. Rupp. She's amazing. The accent's great, not jokey. It's a real person, albeit a large personality. I hope more people get to see it.

by Anonymousreply 26506/20/2013

Either Playbill.com needs better editors, or Jane Kaczmarek looks phenomenal for her age. Did anyone see her in Good People?

by Anonymousreply 26606/20/2013

It's just not edited well. It's the 75th anniversary of the Kindertransport program, not of the play itself. JK is in her late 50s.

by Anonymousreply 26706/20/2013

Patti is the Universe; the Universe is Patti.

by Anonymousreply 26806/20/2013

As wonderful as she is, Faith can't be a better Hannigan in what Lapine has done. Talk to cast members. He would kill laughs in the rehearsals. He would demand there were no buttons on numbers. He even turned Grace into a bitch. He's insisted there be no warmth. That's why everyone is at sea but the kid.

by Anonymousreply 26906/20/2013

But surely Prince will be put in by the stage manager. And once she gets in front of an audience, she can get the laughs as she chooses.

by Anonymousreply 27006/20/2013

"As wonderful as she is, Faith can't be a better Hannigan in what Lapine has done. Talk to cast members. He would kill laughs in the rehearsals. He would demand there were no buttons on numbers. He even turned Grace into a bitch. He's insisted there be no warmth. That's why everyone is at sea but the kid."

Not surprised to hear that. As a well-established theater professional once phrased it, Lapine is talentless.

by Anonymousreply 27106/20/2013

How HOT am I??!

by Anonymousreply 27206/20/2013

R271, what is up with that? I worked on a show with John Guare at Signature Theater. He and Jim Houghton did the same thing, killed every laugh. Also did a play by Marin Sherman, He came in during previews and killed every laugh. Granted these are playwrights, but why is it that Getting a laugh is considered a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 27306/20/2013

I blame the British!

by Anonymousreply 27406/20/2013

LOL (R270).

Faith sure did get a lot of laughs in that King and I, and she was darn good. Better than ol' pitch challenged Fosca as Anna!

That said, the basic blocking and design of this Annie will challenge even Faith. Entrance laugh lines delivered in the dark at the top of the stairs are tough for anyone to land.

by Anonymousreply 27506/20/2013

They tried to get Lupone and Peters together for THE TURNING POINT on Broadway a few years back, but it never materialized.

by Anonymousreply 27606/20/2013

Maggie Gyllenhaal to star in The Village Bike at MCC next year in the role the exquisite Romola Garai originated at The Royal Court in 2011.

She has her work cut out for her besting Romola.

by Anonymousreply 27706/20/2013

Country Western crap musical fans will have to wait a bit cause Always Patsy Kline has been postponed.

by Anonymousreply 27806/20/2013

[quote] The Village Bike

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 27906/20/2013

[quote]Patsy Kline

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 28006/20/2013

Primetime is over, bitches. Let's get to work and ask Karen Z to bring some life to this deadening thread. So what's the story about Patsy C? No money, probably. Cross that one off the list, Dramedy. No nut to worry about!!! Any rehearsal about Zach Levi? It's summer, but the weather is still tolerable, News needed.

by Anonymousreply 28106/20/2013

Actors hate that you morons with pens and playbills wait at the door, mindlessly demanding someone, anyone, sign your book. If the stagedoor johnnys were just a bit smarter or had better manners, it wouldn't be so bad.

by Anonymousreply 28206/20/2013

Uh oh. Is this going to be a cut-and-paste job on every thread. Jesus, I hope not. If so, it will kill every thread in existence.

by Anonymousreply 28306/20/2013

It's already on at least a dozen of them, R284

by Anonymousreply 28406/20/2013

Is this the misogynist troll? Ignore it. It will be deleted and banned shortly.

by Anonymousreply 28506/20/2013

Well, keep on trucking. Has anyone seen the first Sweet Bird photos from London? Seth Numbnuts looks cute, but Kim Cattrall has taken the Joan Allen approach to cosmetic surgery: bears no resemblance to the original. Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 28606/20/2013

I think it's PPSM off her rocker (and her meds)

by Anonymousreply 28706/20/2013

What's the story on Thomas Bradshaw? I saw his BURNING a few years ago and thought it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen, but then maybe it was just me. Is he considered a well-respected playwright? I'm certainly open to giving his work another look-see before writing him off permanently.

by Anonymousreply 28806/20/2013

[quote]Either Playbill.com needs better editors, or Jane Kaczmarek looks phenomenal for her age. Did anyone see her in Good People?

I remember her first show - that awful 1983 or so Showtime soap opera. She would strip off her top and show her tits (as did the rest of the cast).

Good times - I knew she was extra talented then.

by Anonymousreply 28906/20/2013

HOLLYWOOD BOWL CASTING FOR CHICAGO ANNOUNCED!

SAMANTHA BARKS and all that jazz!

DREW CAREY, popular game show host!

some guy from True Blood

LUCY LAWLESS (LOVE HER!) as Queen Latifah!

but no Roxie? wait a second.. who can play Roxie?

KAREN ZIEMBA! DUST OFF THOSE SILVER SHOES WITH RHINESTONE BUCKLES, GIRL!

by Anonymousreply 29006/20/2013

R276 Patti as a former ballet dancer in The Turning Point?

Wouldn't that mean she would have to be believable as a woman who was once thin?

Peters might not be bad in the Wiest role in the Bullets musical but someone would have to tone her down. A lot. And command her NOT to cry!

by Anonymousreply 29106/20/2013

Last year's Bowl musical was "The Producers." I saw it, and although everyone except Rebecca Romijn was good, the surprise standout was (of all people) DANE COOK!

by Anonymousreply 29206/20/2013

R295. Could the name of that play have been FAT PIG? FAT and BIG also belong together, but not as a Neil LaBute title!

by Anonymousreply 29406/20/2013

Patti auditioned for Bullets and Woody said no.

Johanna Gleason?

by Anonymousreply 29506/20/2013

HARBOR was done last summer in a regional theater with Bobby Steggert, and now it's being done in New York with Randy Harrison????

Shouldn't it have been the other way around? Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 29606/20/2013

[quote]What's the story on Thomas Bradshaw? I saw his BURNING a few years ago and thought it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen, but then maybe it was just me. Is he considered a well-respected playwright? I'm certainly open to giving his work another look-see before writing him off permanently.

Thomas Bradshaw is [bold]REALLY, REALLY, REALLY[/bold] into pushing buttons, as a writer & as a person. Are you offended by THIS? No? How about THIS?? His dismal view of the world syncs very nicely with the New Group's misanthropic aesthetic.

There were isolated pieces of "Burning" that I actually liked; the overall affect seemed to be an absurdly forced attempt to shock.

by Anonymousreply 29706/20/2013

Joanna Gleason is nearly 65. Isn't that character in BULLETS a bit younger than that?

by Anonymousreply 29806/21/2013

"After the show she [Mary Martin] put on an evening gown and left the stage door handing flowers to her fans."

Mary Martin must have done that late in her career, but not for her biggest hits, such as South Pacific and The Sound of Music. I saw The Sound of Music on a weekday night, and the crowd outside the stage door was beyond huge --far too large to hand out flowers.

by Anonymousreply 29906/21/2013

r288 it is not you. BURNING was a burning pile of shit and the last time I stepped foot near the New Group

by Anonymousreply 30006/21/2013

All this talk Mary Martin got me thinking. Who was the better STAR Martin or Merman? Both had their share of major successes from the 40s on. Both box office draws. But Martin was inevitably the better of the two. She could do whatever Merman did, but Merman could not step into Martin's shoes. Lets see:

Matin could have played easily Sally Adams, did play Annie Oakley, could have made an interesting Madame Rose (yes); could have played Liz Livingston and Reno Sweeney; and had great success with Dolly Levi (even though the role was written specifically for Merman)

Merman could NOT have played Nellie Forbush, Maria Von Trapp, Venus, Dolly (Leave It to Me), Agnes, or Peter Pan (!) with any kind of believability.

It seems in terms of versatility, Merman was at a severe disadvantage. Case closed

by Anonymousreply 30106/21/2013

When I saw Martin exit the theater after JENNIE, she was heavily veiled and passing out apologies.

by Anonymousreply 30206/21/2013

r302 funny, and probably with good reason - but you can't blame Martin for Jennie. She wanted to close it out of town, but was threatened with a lawsuit by Schwartz and Dietz. Even as it stood, Jennie still recouped $82,000 of its initial investment when it closed after only 80+performances, which was considerable for a flop in the early 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 30306/21/2013

I'd rather see Randy Harrison than Bobby Steggert. The latter looks like a troll.

by Anonymousreply 30406/21/2013

Not that I don't enjoy stories about the Merm and Mary Martin, but just in case anyone is interested in the topic of black size-meat, grab a seat at CHOIR BOY, the show Manhattan Theater Club is putting on in their smaller theater. It's set in an all-boys prep school (the actors are over 18) and the five guys all strip down at various times. No towel dancing allowed. One of the characters is flamboyantly gay, and he openly stares at one naked dude and makes a comment about his long and lanky penis.

It's quite a good play, too. And it also features Chuck Cooper and Austin Pendleton, who both keep their clothes on.

by Anonymousreply 30506/21/2013

The Annie producers will probably see a 1 million dollar return on their stunt casting of Jane Lynch. Not bad for a 9 week investment. Faith on the other hand......

by Anonymousreply 30606/21/2013

I saw JENNIE out of town in Detroit and it was pretty dismal, even to my high school eyes and ears. But she was pretty darn radiant, as always. And I frequently listen to the album.

by Anonymousreply 30706/21/2013

"Versatility in the arts is overrated..." Elia Kazan

The chronic bashing of Ethel Merman is tiresome. She was a great, immensely popular Broadway. From 1930 to 1970 she appeared in 14 Broadway shows often starring and carrying them to runs that lasted from six months to nearly three years.

Her contemporary Mary Martin was equally talented.

by Anonymousreply 30806/21/2013

r306 I don't think I'd call Lynch stunt casting. star casting, maybe. wouldn't a stunt have to be a more outrageous choice.

by Anonymousreply 30906/21/2013

R309, I would say hiring someone who cannot sing, dance or act qualifies as stunt casting. She was horrible on the Tony awards. It was like watching a game undergrad taking part in a Princeton drag show.

by Anonymousreply 31006/21/2013

Casey Anthony IS 'Mother of the Year' Hannigan

by Anonymousreply 31106/21/2013

I was pleasantly surprised by Lynch's voice on the Tonys. She can't belt (neither could Loudon), nor really hold notes, but she can sing.

by Anonymousreply 31206/21/2013

In my opinion, Ethel Merman was Broadway's greatest musical star, but she was limited in the roles she could play.

Agree that Martin was far more willing to try something successfully that was seemingly out of her range (such as One Touch of Venus and the revival of The Skin of Our Teeth).

Both ladies had a huge advantage over today's Broadway stars, the first-rate song writers who wanted to write musicals for them -- Porter, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Berlin et al.

by Anonymousreply 31306/21/2013

The songwriting boys you mention could write all the great songs in the universe for Chenoweth, Menzel, Hilty, etc. and it still wouldn't make stars of them.

by Anonymousreply 31406/21/2013

r312 but she wasn't really funny or interesting. She was just...there.

by Anonymousreply 31506/21/2013

When you hire someone for a show that has had no experience in musical theater, but who can bring in ticket buyers because he/she is a well known celebrity....I would definitely call that stunt casting. Lynch is servicible at best. Can't wait for Wendy in Chicago- bet she brings in a ton of money for the Weisslers and the audience will be filled with unemployed houswives who love her and have never set foot in a theater on Broadway. Cell phone alert!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31606/21/2013

I saw Lynch on her opening and she was fine. Cut to the Tonys and she was shrill, forced and trying way too hard. I think the pressure of that audience and an unfamiliar stage got to her.

by Anonymousreply 31706/21/2013

Tell me about it r317

by Anonymousreply 31806/21/2013

r316 good example. Wendy feels like a stunt. Lynch not so much. She's an experienced actress at least.

by Anonymousreply 31906/21/2013

Anyone else puzzled why John Kerr ('Tea and Sympathy") dying has been so ignored?? Not even Playbill.com has him listed in Obits. It's been a while since his death! Was he hated in Broadway circles?

by Anonymousreply 32006/21/2013

[quote] But she was limited in the roles she could play.

Not just your opinion, dearie.

Merm was a foghorn. Subtle roles were not in her reach. Of course that limited her choices.

by Anonymousreply 32106/21/2013

You mean today's composers - JRB, Lin Manuel and their ilk - are not as good as Porter, Berlin, Rodgers?

by Anonymousreply 32206/21/2013

The review of On the Town with Tony Yazbeck in the Berkshires was over the top in the Times. Is this something that they would bring to NY or should I make my plans to take a trip to Pittsfield? Sort of a schlep but it sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 32306/21/2013

Depends on how much you want to see Yazbeck's ass up close.

by Anonymousreply 32406/21/2013

It might be worth the trip. Yasbeck (and his beefy ass) do the dream ballet ballet shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 32506/21/2013

like this

by Anonymousreply 32606/21/2013

So Riedel says in today's NY Post that James Gandolfini stormed off the set of Theater Talk while he was in God of Carnage because Riedel asked him questions about The Sopranos which was apparently a big no-no. But THIS is what actually happened. Is Riedel a big fat liar or did both things happen?

by Anonymousreply 32706/21/2013

rent the movie r323...Barrington Stage is one step above community theatre....long drive for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 32806/21/2013

[quote] Is Riedel a big fat liar

Yes on all counts.

by Anonymousreply 32906/21/2013

Except the movie dumped all the songs with the exception of two and most of the ballets in favor of something 1949 audiences would find 'hep swinging and upbeat.'

Plus they had to build up Gene Kelly's part from the stage play.

by Anonymousreply 33006/21/2013

I found this on another site. I don't know the actual source.

"Legendary Tony Awards host Neil Patrick Harris will star in the Broadway premiere production of John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask's cult classic musical "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," set to hit the Great White Way in the spring of 2014. Tony Award winner Michael Mayer (Spring Awakening) will direct the production.

"I am simultaneously ecstatic and terrified to be stepping into Hedwig's heels. It is truly a once-in-a-lifetime role and I can't wait to begin the journey," says Harris, who has appeared on Broadway in Assassins, Proof, and Cabaret."

by Anonymousreply 33106/21/2013

On the Town is one of those shows that ought to work, but really hasn't since the 1944 original. Fabulous score, lovely premise, sensational dancing, but there's something that has failed in all the incarnations since the first production. What's the problem, girls?

by Anonymousreply 33206/21/2013

R332, The problem is that it ain't WWII. On some level, the audience knew those boys were going back and possibly dying for their country.

by Anonymousreply 33306/21/2013

r332 You saw the 1944 original?

by Anonymousreply 33406/21/2013

Gabriel Ebert - straight or gay?

by Anonymousreply 33506/21/2013

Whoa! Does anyone else find Nathan Lane in this 1981 interview actually - dare I say it - hot? Shocked that I would ever be saying such a thing. Or am I being ridiculous for thinking this?

by Anonymousreply 33606/21/2013

R332- I saw the NY revival with Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Lea deLaria. deLaria was fabulous in the Nancy Walker role.. but the choreography was deadly dull. It didn't work. Maybe the book is too old fashioned for today's audiences. Not saying that it is, just a theory. I love the score.

by Anonymousreply 33706/21/2013

I believe the London revival with Adam Garcia and Caroline O'Connor was well received. I have seen B roll footage and that production had a spark that was missing from the last revival at the Gershwin.

Have always been curious why the 70's revival with Bernadette Peters and Donna McKechnie was such a massive flop. It was produced at the time that nostalgia was in vogue (FOLLIES, NANETTE, IRENE) and I thought it would have had a built in audience.

by Anonymousreply 33806/21/2013

R336- it was before he became a boozehound??

by Anonymousreply 33906/21/2013

Someone posted this on here a few years back - that they were talking to Betty Comden during the final dress of On the Town, and she complained that Lea wasn't playing it "man crazy." Her friend pointed out that, well, Lea is a lesbian, to which Betty replied "I know she's a lesbian. But I thought she was an ACTRESS, too."

by Anonymousreply 34006/21/2013

I saw Tony Yazbeck in the Encores revival of "On the Town" a few years back. It was a hundred times better than that dreary Public Theater production awhile back. It was as if it were a totally different show. Yazbeck WAS the whole show. He is a very good actor and a masculine sublimely athletic dancer. It was sensational. He's a big fundy Christian, but seems like a lovely guy. Go see it, he is worth seeing as Gaby.

Oh, and r327, Reidel says nothing of the kind. You haven't read the article, have you?

by Anonymousreply 34106/21/2013

I saw the 70s On the Town revival when it tried out in Boston.

Besides Bernadette and Donna there were Phyllis Newman as Claire, Ron Hussman as Gabey, Remak Ramsey as Ozzie and Jess Richards as....the Frank Sinatra role. Oh, and Marilyn Whatshername as Lucy Schmeeler.

And Bob Mackie designed the costumes!

The women were sensational....the men rather forgettable. The book and humor then and now are dated and tedious. It was and is all about the score and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 34206/22/2013

Mary Martin's national popularity was also bolstered by her appearances hosting several hugely publicized and prestigious TV musical specials throughout the 1950s.

Not to mention starring in the TV special of Annie Get Your Gun opposite John Raitt (which millions more saw than Ethel's Broadway version) and, of course, Mary's beloved iconic Peter Pan which was rerun for a few years and always considered must-see TV.

Ethel Merman never had quite that sort of a national profile until she made It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World and appeared in other comedic and mostly non-musical roles in film and TV, usually just playing an exaggeration of her own battleax persona.

by Anonymousreply 34306/22/2013

"On the Town" has one of the great scores. If you have good choreography, some good actors, you can make it work. So what if it's not World War II anymore? To paraphrase Betty Comden in R340, "You have brains too, right?"

by Anonymousreply 34406/22/2013

Kathleen Chalfant, who's her gf?

by Anonymousreply 34506/22/2013

Agree about television being a medium that was just right for Mary Martin in the 1950s and early '60s. She gave television the prestige of a Broadway star (when Broadway was still the goal of many young performers) plus a personality like that of popular TV hosts/singers such as Perry Como and Dinah Shore. In the 1960s, Martin did several hour-long interviews on Jack Paar's prime time show, which lasted three-four years after he left "The Tonight Show."

A good example of all this was the 90-minute prime time show Martin did with Noel Coward on CBS in 1955. Coward was far from your average TV personality, yet Martin made it work -- just the two theater stars singing for an hour and a half. Think Bernadette Peters and Nathan Lane today--something than only cable might do.

by Anonymousreply 34606/22/2013

I say that anyone who doesn't like Mary Martin probably never her saw her live. Same is true of Merman.

by Anonymousreply 34706/22/2013

When I heard an early recording of Mary Martin singing "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" I was surprised that she sang it so much in the style of a girl singer with a jazz band. She was quite the pop vocalist when she got in front of a microphone.

by Anonymousreply 34806/22/2013

Mary Martin used to have circle jerks in her dressing rooms between shows on Wednesdays and Fridays. They're all over XTube. You can't see any faces, but it's clearly her giggling and singing, "Don't try to patch it up/Tear it up, tear it up..."

by Anonymousreply 34906/22/2013

If only Kelli O'Hara had some films in her background - as all of the above ladies did at this point in their careers.

So do you think Kelli O'Hara the new century equivalent of Mary Martin, Ethel Merman, Bernadette Peters? Or is it Sutton Foster?

by Anonymousreply 35006/23/2013

Oh, hell to the no, R350. Those girls are fine. But nowhere near legendary status.

by Anonymousreply 35106/23/2013

It's neither, r350. Keep guessing.

by Anonymousreply 35206/23/2013

I can't believe none of you bitches have mentioned the rave review Jan Brady got in The Times on Friday! It's always Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!

by Anonymousreply 35306/23/2013

TEXAS TRILOGY!

by Anonymousreply 35406/23/2013

"and upon researching the role, I saw Sofia Vergara did it. And Lynda Carter did it. And Kelly Osbourne did it in London. I said, “I don’t know that these people are singers either.” And then upon talking about this role of Mama with the people here at “Chicago,” they said the role is more about talking-singing, sass and attitude than anything else. I said, “Well, I got that.”

um--no...

by Anonymousreply 35506/23/2013

[quote] Ethel Merman never had quite that sort of a national profile until she made It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World

Are you kidding? Merman did that Ford TV special with Martin in the early 50s, as well as a TV "Anything Goes" with Frank Sinatra and Bert Lahr, and a TV "Panama Hattie" with Art Carney.

Merman also got to recreate her Sally Adams in the movie of "Call Me Madam", and headline the jukebox movie musical "There's No Business Like Show Business" above Marilyn Monroe, Donald O'Connor, and Vera-Ellen.

Her screen appearances were less numerous in the latter part of the 1950s admittedly.

by Anonymousreply 35606/23/2013

r351 I believe r350 was being facetious.

by Anonymousreply 35706/23/2013

Speaking of Mama Morton, how was Christine Pedi in the role? I think today is her last day.

by Anonymousreply 35806/23/2013

r353 = Seth Rudetsky (producer and husband of the playwright and actor)

by Anonymousreply 35906/23/2013

I think there are two problems with Broadway actresses today. First, they are not committed to Broadway. They always have their eye on TV or film. Consequently, they have to focus when it comes to their stage career.

The other issue, as I indicated in my Mary Martin story,they don't work on their off stage persona nearly enough. They really should take a page from Paris Hilton, et all, as to how to make their persona a brand. For the most part they appear and disappear on Broadway like the human equivalent of Brigadoon.

Oddly enough, the one person I can think who almost made this work was Davis Gaines. When he was doing Phantom in LA he really did play the star. The problem is that you have to have something to support the star persona and Davis is really just a pretty voice with too much plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 36006/23/2013

R356: Ethel Merman's films and television appearances in the 1950s and 1960s helped underline her Broadway fame; she was the best known Broadway star perhaps ever.

But, Merman sometimes seemed self-centered and unable or unwilling to modulate her performances to fit the televion or film screens. And none of her appearances came close to the impact of Martin's Peter Pan, which was broadcast live on NBC in 1955 and 1956 to huge ratings.

In this long clip from Theater Talk with two of her closest friends, Ethel Merman comes across well, one of the least fake people in show business.

by Anonymousreply 36106/23/2013

Great clip at r361! Thanks for posting.

So enlightening on Ethel Merman and might just hearken back to the discussion way upthread about how intelligent brilliant actors might or might not be.

Ethel, at least in the clip's reminiscences, comes across as not very smart but a truly phenomenal and intuitive performer.

by Anonymousreply 36306/23/2013

Enough with these old dead broads!

by Anonymousreply 36406/23/2013

It's amazing that Streisand is singing this good at age 71. Just listen to her performance from last night's Israeli concert. It starts at the 6:00 mark:

by Anonymousreply 36506/23/2013

What has Barbara Streisand got to do with theatre?

by Anonymousreply 36606/23/2013

Carol who? Lomard? (That's a weird way for this thread to go!)

by Anonymousreply 36706/23/2013

Crap, who gives a shit about Streisand? Ugh,

by Anonymousreply 36806/23/2013

There's only one Carol! Thank fuck.

by Anonymousreply 36906/23/2013

Back to someone still alive and performing...

Here's Patti in London this past week singing "With One Look" for the first time since 1994:

by Anonymousreply 37006/23/2013

Kelli O'Hara does not photograph as well on film as you would expect.

by Anonymousreply 37106/23/2013

Neither did Babs Cook.

by Anonymousreply 37206/23/2013

Streisand sang THE definitive version of "Send in the Clowns" last night.

by Anonymousreply 37306/23/2013

[quote]Back to someone still alive and performing

Given what's in that video, I'd disagree on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 37406/23/2013

No, she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 37506/23/2013

R353 the play is not good although there are some laugh lines. Bombs dropped in act II with no foreshadowing, and emotions well beyond the reach of the actors. Eve Plumb has good comic timing and the actress playing the mother is the genuine article. A manipulative soap opera. Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but hardly worth a rave.

by Anonymousreply 37706/23/2013

I prefer Brady Bunch Movie Jan.

by Anonymousreply 37806/23/2013

R377: And the Times review is not good, Eve Plumb notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 37906/23/2013

I saw the tour of Anything Goes recently. Josh Franklin was terrific as the male lead. Anyone know anything about him? Is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 38006/23/2013

And did anyone see Broadway Bares tonight?

by Anonymousreply 38106/23/2013

Any backstage gossip yet from Two-Character Play? Can't believe, with those two, things are going smoothly. I don't think, though, that they've had to cancel any performances since the opening night.

by Anonymousreply 38206/24/2013

Wow, R376, you seem like a lot of fun. What does interest you?

by Anonymousreply 38306/24/2013

Broadway Bares - great as usual. A couple of "costume mishaps" perked things up (particularly in the Florida number)!

by Anonymousreply 38406/24/2013

R376, please stop speaking for a generation, especially one you're not a member of.

by Anonymousreply 38506/24/2013

r376 is a dimwitted self absorbed queen. I am under 40, and cannot get enough about the history of the theater. r376 believe it or not, theater 0-- good theater created by geniuses - did start before a few years before WICKED. You're a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 38606/24/2013

Any pics online of the Broadway Bares "costume mishaps"?

by Anonymousreply 38706/24/2013

Who wants to see me naked?

by Anonymousreply 38806/24/2013

I've never been to Bares, but from the photos I've seen it always looks like a lot of fat gay men standing on top of each other in Roseland watching a not so great strip show.

by Anonymousreply 38906/24/2013

Gotta love Jackie Hoffman-she just tweeted:

"Broadway Bares-the AIDS benefit where people dance with no clothes on in front of each other and then go home to have unprotected sex."

by Anonymousreply 39006/24/2013

Once R376 is able to recharge his Kinko's card he'll get back on line and respond.

by Anonymousreply 39106/24/2013

The missing question from the BroadwayWorld Michael John LaChiusa puff piec... I mean, interview: How do you deal with all your shows flopping, why do you think the general public hates your musicals and how do you continue to find backers, since every one thus far has lost all their money?

by Anonymousreply 39206/24/2013

That's three questions, R392. Learn to count.

At around 10,000 words, I wouldn't call that merely a puff piece, either. Has Healy ever done anything as in-depth, favorable or not?

by Anonymousreply 39306/24/2013

I heart R392.

Seriously, proper royalties for his shows must be close to non-existent. How much longer can he count on grants and commissions? I guess after that, he'll turn to academia, where can addle the minds of the next generation.

All this public money thrown at unwanted product. It's enough to turn me into a Republican

by Anonymousreply 39406/24/2013

My guess is that composers like MJL see public rejection of their work as proof of their genius. He's part of a post-Sondheim generation that created arty, annoying chamber musicals for critics and a handful of fans.

Thank god younger composers aspire once again to write for the masses.

by Anonymousreply 39506/24/2013

No, R393, that was one question. Learn the difference between commas and question marks. There was only one.

by Anonymousreply 39606/24/2013

R393: the number of words doesn't make it any less of a puff piece. It just doesn't get puffier- like LaChiusa's face.

by Anonymousreply 39706/24/2013

No, r396, that was three questions. It was one sentence with three questions in it. Learn the difference between questions and sentences.

by Anonymousreply 39806/24/2013

The only MJL musical I saw was First Ladies Suite and vowed never to see anything his name was connected to. I wanted to rip my hair out- it was that excrutiating.

by Anonymousreply 39906/24/2013

Also, my question (if you all know what those are) was about if Healy had ever done anything as in-depth as the MJL BroadwayWorld one, puff piece or otherwise? I cannot recall one myself.

by Anonymousreply 40006/24/2013

No, R398, that was one multi-part question. It was one question with three parts. Learn punctuation and grammar. Also, learn not to repeat questions no one, obviously, has any interest in answering. We all saw it the first time.

Why don't you find the answer to it and get back to us, mkay?

by Anonymousreply 40106/24/2013

Finally saw "Next to Normal" yesterday in a large regional theater production. I'd kind of been avoiding it (I usually try to see most new musicals) but I was really blown away by how much I enjoyed it. I think it had a lot to do with the cast and direction, but I did like the music as well. I'd only heard "I Miss the Mountains" on the radio before, so I was unfamiliar with the majority of the score.

I guess the audience agreed with me as there was an instantaneous standing O at the end.

by Anonymousreply 40206/24/2013

Well, the grammar police have darkened a dreary Monday and begun to cloud an already once-derailed thread allegedly about THEATRE GOSSIP. Puh-leese. Michael Arden, Crutchie's crotch, or Santino's Caramoor triumph. Anybody???

by Anonymousreply 40306/24/2013

Arf!

This is worse than the endless discussion of where all the theatre people went to college.

And that was fuckin' deadly.

by Anonymousreply 40406/24/2013

R401, it's three questions in one sentence. No one will agree with you because you are wrong. Move on and learn what commas signify.

And, Healy has not written a piece even close to the depth of the BroadwayWorld MJL one. Comparing the same author's Pasek & Paul article to Healy's is very telling and illuminating, too, as an example I found.

But, in bringing the discussion back to, you know, theatre, I'd think a Nancy Reagan musical would be somewhat intriguing and MJL could write something quite funny and biting about it in FIRST DAUGHTER SUITE. I am holding out hope that it will be something worthwhile but I do the same for these Theatre Gossip threads, so...

by Anonymousreply 40506/24/2013

[quote]I'd think a Nancy Reagan musical would be somewhat intriguing.

It's been done.

by Anonymousreply 40606/24/2013

Anyone remember RAP MASTER RONNIE? Written by Gary (Doonsbury) Trudeau and Liz Swados, the Michael John LaChuisa of her day.

by Anonymousreply 40706/24/2013

I love way that Pat guy always includes the interviewee's parting comment, which is usually a compliment to Pat himself.

by Anonymousreply 40806/24/2013

R402 Did you just see the Kalamazoo/Farmers Alley Theatre NEXT TO NORMAL with Michelle Duffy and Trey Ellett?

I've heard it's great.

by Anonymousreply 40906/24/2013

So Fantasia is doing the Amber Riley role in Cotton Club Parade-renamed After Midnight (blah) for Broadway. How many performances will she miss and will there be riots when she does? BTW- Amber was fantastic (her Stormy Weather was thrilling) as was the production at City Center. Another winner from Warren Carlyle.

by Anonymousreply 41006/24/2013

R409 No, it was the McCoy-Rigby production in La Mirada (CA)

by Anonymousreply 41106/24/2013

As long as Warren Carlyle is just doing musical staging, he's fine. Ask him to really choreography a number (like the "Lucy and Jessie" number in the recent FOLLIES with Jan Maxwell) and he comes up short. And ask him to DIRECT and choreography - OY. He can't direct traffic, let alone a book scene in a musical. Please God let him never think he's Rob Ashford and attempt to direct a straight play.

by Anonymousreply 41206/24/2013

Here's a link to the review.

by Anonymousreply 41306/24/2013

No, R405, it's one multi-part all relating to his unparalleled, jaw-dropping failure. And no one is coming to your defense because you're wrong. Oh: and no one's answered your inane question because its boring. Even to you, apparently.

Besides a musical treatment of Nancy Reagan being a stunningly dreadful idea, there's literally nothing that Miss LaChewbacca could spew out that would be in any way intriguing. Or melodic. Or structurally sound. Or popular. Or money making. Or good.

Because he can't write, compose or tell a story. Never has. Never will.

"Career retrospective" indeed. More like "wreckage in his wake."

by Anonymousreply 41406/24/2013

I want to debate Santino Fontana's sexuality, and Cheyenne Jackson's dick size, not how many questions were in a post. Where is the dirt?

by Anonymousreply 41506/24/2013

If you want to know what Santino will look like when he's old, google John Rubinstein.

by Anonymousreply 41606/24/2013

COTTON CLUB PARADE on Broadway is an absolutely pitiful idea. Is there really nothing better to stick in an empty theatre?

by Anonymousreply 41706/24/2013

Well, John Rubinstein is still working, so Santino will probably take it.

by Anonymousreply 41806/24/2013

Santino Fontana is here at the spa!

by Anonymousreply 41906/24/2013

John Rubinstein was on today's episode of General Hospital as Luke's doctor.

by Anonymousreply 42006/24/2013

I think Santino lives with Jessica Hershberg. Straight.

by Anonymousreply 42106/24/2013

Jeez, R414, what's your damage? Even you admit it's more than one question - "multi-part," indeed.

What's your insane beef with Lalalachiusa? God, get a blog.

There are some truly psychotic never-weres out there. Let's see how smart and successful your musicals are, Marie Crisistine.

I'll take ten more GIANTs for every ADDAMS FAMILY I have to endure again. I mean, really...

by Anonymousreply 42206/24/2013

Michael John LaChiusa wouldn't know a melody if he fell over it.

by Anonymousreply 42306/24/2013

Santino Fontana and Stephen Pasquale had the same unnecessary nose job where they thin out the baby fat down the bridge of the nose.

That style nose job was also the beginning of Bruce Jenner's unnecessary destruction of his face.

by Anonymousreply 42406/24/2013

I would love to see revivals or at least Encores' productions of:

Henry Sweet Henry

I Can Get It for You Wholesale

Goldilocks

High Spirits

Irene

Tenderloin

Paint Your Wagon

by Anonymousreply 42506/24/2013

I thought about killing myself during See What I Wanna See; but really enjoyed Giant and the one with Mary Testa and the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 42606/24/2013

R425, Encores has already done TENDERLOIN.

I think it's highly likely that you'll see HIGH SPIRITS and PAINT YOUR WAGON at Encores. MAYBE I Can Get It For You Wholsale.- but not likely.

GOLDILOCKS and HENRY, SWEET HENRY are possible, in the sense that nothing is missing (ie, no orchestrations to reconstruct), but not probable.

IRENE - what do you mean, the Debbie Reynolds version? I don't think that's very likely, either (and the original isn't much more likely).

by Anonymousreply 42706/25/2013

"Another winner from Warren Carlyle."

Is this sentence meant to be sarcastic?

by Anonymousreply 42806/25/2013

r424, any links to pics of Santino's original nose for comparison?

by Anonymousreply 42906/25/2013

Warren Carlyle is a nice man but a total mediocrity. He'd be fine directing the annual panto in Croyden but his work is hardly Broadway standard.

by Anonymousreply 43006/25/2013

Any links to pics of Santino's original cock for comparison?

by Anonymousreply 43106/25/2013

Does Stephen Pasquale have a flip-flops scene in FAR FROM HEAVEN?

by Anonymousreply 43206/25/2013

None of you bitches have any good links for Bares?

by Anonymousreply 43306/25/2013

Wow. This thread just suddenly died. It must have been the endless hot air that was blown about this number of questions in a post. Can we possibly bring it back to life?

We do believe in fairies, we do!

by Anonymousreply 43406/25/2013

Anybody got a list of Carnegie-Mellon grads?

by Anonymousreply 43506/25/2013

Did Pippin's box office go up after the Tony win? How long is Andrea Martin supposed to be around?

by Anonymousreply 43606/25/2013

I heard nothing about Bares this year. Was it any good?

by Anonymousreply 43706/26/2013

I wasn't supposed to tell you, r437, but everyone took a vow of silence to keep you from knowing what happened at Bares this year.

If you knew, why ... No. I've said too much already.

by Anonymousreply 43806/26/2013

It died because PRIMETIME turned up on a Tuesday morning. That'd hardly primetime in anyone's book. That meant the payers of $18 were really the ones who dried up! Dramedy's in a twist on ATC because there are 10new musicals for 2013-14. At least that is a sign that somebody's brain, somewhere is functioning, after a fashion.

by Anonymousreply 43906/26/2013

Jeez, R422, what's YOUR damage? R414 admitted nothing of the kind.

What's your insane hard on for LaCheesy? God, get a blog.

Since you brought it up, my musical HAS been optioned for Broadway. Will let you know..

I'm sure you'd take ten more giants and endure it again. But seriously: aren't we just comparing cat shit to dog shit?

by Anonymousreply 44006/26/2013

Sorry but r422 probably needs to spend some time away from the internet.

by Anonymousreply 44106/26/2013

Carlyle's choreography for Lucy and Jessie was very good. The reason it didn't come off well was because that clod Jan Maxwell couldn't dance it and she couldn't have been less sexy doing it. His On Your Toes title number was brilliant. I like his work. Much better than Ashford's junk.

by Anonymousreply 44206/26/2013

That Lucy and Jessie choreography was bad because he didn't take Maxwell into account. Obviously not a trained dancer so you don't have her do Jack Cole contractions that make her look like she's hunched over vomiting. But that was his idea and he was sticking to it. Michael Bennett was wise enough to highlight Alexis Smith's strengths.

Worse than that was the 'Who's That Woman' number which blew the entrance of the ghosts and climaxed in a pedestrian kickline.

Ashford on the other hand is like the Patti Labelle of musical theatre dance. Why use one move when you can squeeze in ten?

by Anonymousreply 44306/26/2013

Reidel talks about LIberace musical today ,based on HBO Behind the Candelabra or an earlier movie Liberaca-Behind the Music

Why do all Liberace projects have 'behind' in their title?

by Anonymousreply 44406/26/2013

Exactly R443, Bennett used his dancers to frame what Smith did instead of make her look even more of an untrained dancer like Carlyle did. Of course the best thing Bennett did in Lucy and Jessie was to tell the story and give Smith something to act in the dance part. Carlyle was too busy paying tribute to Cole which was not correct for the time period anyway.

by Anonymousreply 44506/26/2013

Well, it's like making poor Daniel Radcliffe huff and puff all through HOW TO SUCCEED...while all the dancers around him weren't even breaking a sweat. It was especially egregious for that show since we're supposed to see J. Pierpont sail to the upper echelon of the corporation with ease. It's nice to know DR was game, but still...

by Anonymousreply 44606/26/2013

R446. Daniel did indeed huff and puff, but that was part of his charm. I thought he waz robbed of a Tony nomination, and I might even have voted for him (had I been a voter), since he was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 44706/26/2013

r447, I guess you never saw Robert Morse do the role. Now that was comic genius.

by Anonymousreply 44806/26/2013

I can't believe they're dimming the lights for James Gandolfini, but they wouldn't do it for me.

by Anonymousreply 44906/26/2013

Come Back to the Five and Dime R376! Where's your snark?

by Anonymousreply 45006/26/2013

o'hara and pasquale in bridges of madison county

wow-thats revelatory

by Anonymousreply 45106/26/2013

"Optioned for Broadway" is the funniest thing I've read in a theatre thread on DL in YEARS! The whole grammar police incident was worth it just for that desperate gold. Seriously.

We'll be looking out for you on ole Broad-way, R440! Tell Karen Z to fire up the banjo for you!

Just think, now you just have to actually get it produced, a theatre booked and the show to open, along with another nineteen musicals or so, and you can be as unsuccessful as Lalalachiusa!

by Anonymousreply 45206/26/2013

Actually, who even needs writers anymore? Soon enough, audiences will text characterizations and plot to the producer and whistle little ditties into a mic and, voila! instant Broadway show!

by Anonymousreply 45306/26/2013

Spot Max Von Essen, kids!

by Anonymousreply 45406/26/2013

here ya go R454

by Anonymousreply 45506/26/2013

Max's largest role in years! Congrats!

by Anonymousreply 45606/26/2013

Mary Bridget Davies Will Star in Broadway Premiere of A Night with Janis Joplin

I give this 4 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 45706/26/2013

BROADWAY? Joplin really wasn't interesting enough to draw that size audience--it's not like she was a well-loved personality. She was kind of a mess.

by Anonymousreply 45806/26/2013

Well I have no one else to blame for wasting my money and 2 hours of my life at that Alan Cumming Macbeth travesty.

Any interest I had in Alan Cumming evaporated with this massive ego trip of a production.

First, he is nearly naked throughout the play for no reason at all - other than his thinking he is still a cute and fey Scottish elf. He is in his late forties and it shows. He has a starter belly and the beginning of love handles however I would not care about that except as I mentioned he pointlessly shows himself off for the nearly 2 hour running time.

Second, he portrays every part in the play awkwardly, at best. This is because he simply cannot act on stage, period.

Third, the concept itself, with all the action occurring in a vaguely Soviet-era asylum never made sense, nor did it add anything to the story.

Fourth, it actually made me nostalgic for the Kelsey Grammar Macbeth, so no more need be said.............

Other than, as expected, the mostly out-of-town Monday night audience gave it a rhapsodic standing ovation at the end.

by Anonymousreply 45906/26/2013

No, R446, Daniel Radcliffe was NOT terrific in HOW TO SUCCEED. He missed almost every damn laugh in one of the funniest shows ever written, with (no) help from his talent-free director.

by Anonymousreply 46006/26/2013

r460 I agree. And I was like WHERE ARE THE DESKS? THEY WORK IN A BEEHIVE WITHOUT DESKS?

by Anonymousreply 46106/26/2013

r454 Gee...who hasn't seen that ass?

by Anonymousreply 46206/26/2013

What schools like CMU or CCM or Michigan teach their students is how to audition. That is the main focus. How to audition. Couple with that the fact that each of these schools has casting director alumni in the biggest theatre casting offices. It's all set up. Has nothing to do with these "performers" having any special talent.

by Anonymousreply 46306/26/2013

Uh oh. The academics are trying to take over this thread as well as the last one. Why would you go to drama school to learn how to audition??? STOP STOP STOP

by Anonymousreply 46406/26/2013

Drama school teaches you how to REHEARSE. Auditioning is only part of the final year.

by Anonymousreply 46506/26/2013

R463- Stephens College in Columbia, Mo. Originally a private girls school now for both men and women. they even offer training on how to talk to the agents, the producers, the casting people. How to address them etc.

by Anonymousreply 46606/26/2013

Do they teach the girls how to sit like ladies with their legs closed?

by Anonymousreply 46706/26/2013

R467 LOL. yes, they do.. and to wear white gloves to the audition.

by Anonymousreply 46806/26/2013

[quote]Gee...who hasn't seen that ass?

SEEN it? More like, who hasn't been IN that ass?

by Anonymousreply 46906/26/2013

Why did the director of Philadelphia's Arden Theatre's production of Night Music have Desire drinking from a bottle of beer in her dressing room?

by Anonymousreply 47006/26/2013

Heads up ... PBS is airing "Annie: It's the Hard-Knock Life", a documentary about the current Broadway revival, on Friday at 9.

by Anonymousreply 47106/26/2013

thanks for the warning 471.

by Anonymousreply 47206/26/2013

Didn't Liz Taylor drink a beer in the movie? Or am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 47306/26/2013

r470 whether or not Liz did it in the movie per r473 it's a good idea. she's an itinerant actress not a grande dame

by Anonymousreply 47406/26/2013

R452? Since you enjoyed GIANT, that probably was the funniest thing you've read in a theater thread on DL. Unfortunately for you, my show is being produced and we have the theater. Oh, another thing my show has that's lacking in every single LaChewbacca musical: melodies.

And the Karen Z. joke shows your level of humor: original and endlessly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 47506/27/2013

Great, R475! Just nineteen more to go to be as unsuccessful and "un-melodic" as Lalalachiusa... if you're lucky, that is!

And, if the the theater is booked, that means you're set for surefire hit status real soon! I mean, golly, just look at all the recent hits by unknown writers with new shows ... what a list!

Can't wait for you to show us all someday. How lucky we are to have real talent to show us all what modern musicals are all about, right, folks?

Why, all that's missing is Karen Z to sing us off with a Kander & Ebb cakewalk melody...

by Anonymousreply 47606/27/2013

I noticed that it was recently Bob Fosse's birthday. Unfortunately, one of our greatest director/choreographers died at age 60.

Director /Choreographer Michael Bennett died at 44.

Gower Champion at 61.

It would appear Rob Ashford and Warren Carlyle as assured long, long lives.

by Anonymousreply 47706/27/2013

Not if I have anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 47806/27/2013

But did beer come in bottles in 1900?

by Anonymousreply 47906/27/2013

Of course r479, It was 1900, not 1500; and Sweden is hardly the land time forgot.

by Anonymousreply 48006/27/2013

[quote]one of the funniest shows ever written

No such song exists in How To Succeed.

by Anonymousreply 48106/27/2013

Jesus, what am i even talking about?

by Anonymousreply 48206/27/2013

Oh, don't worry, r482, you fit right in at DL.

by Anonymousreply 48306/27/2013

Well, it's honest confusion rather than academic practices at useless drama schools. (Primetime is over for a few minutes!)

by Anonymousreply 48406/27/2013

Atlanta's TOTS (Theatre of the Stars) is in danger of closing.

This would mean no DREAMGIRLS with Jennifer Holliday!

Couldn't happen to a more mis-managed mess of a theatre.

by Anonymousreply 48506/27/2013

Thanks, r483. I is what I is, and I'm not changing.

by Anonymousreply 48606/27/2013

Playbill picks Top Ten Gay Plays:

1. Angels in America

2. The Normal Heart

3. The Boys in the Band

4. Falsettos

5. Bent

6. Torch Song Trilogy

7. Hedwig and the Angry Incht

8. Jeffrey

9. Love! Valour! Compassion!

10. Beautiful Thing

by Anonymousreply 48706/27/2013

"Unfortunately for you, my show is being produced and we have the theater."

If that's true, why didn't you say so in the first place, rather than just saying your show has been "optioned" for Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 48806/27/2013

[quote]"Unfortunately for you, my show is being produced and we have the theater."

Stop trying to make "Rebecca" happen, Ben.

by Anonymousreply 48906/27/2013

Because, R488: That's what optioned is. Got anymore "Karen Z." jokes? You left it out of your last post. Slipping?

by Anonymousreply 49006/27/2013

"Optioned" and "theatre is booked" are two very different things. Just for he record, I have also had a show optioned for Broadway. Was announced all over, and never got anywhere remotely close. Everything gets announced for Broadway these days regardless of whether it's going or not.

For the record, it was the producers who jumped the gun and were far more interested in putting out press releases about themselves and far less in actually raising money, so they no longer have the rights. For me the day the show I wrote was announced for Broadway was one of the most embarrassing days of my career.

by Anonymousreply 49106/27/2013

Did R475/R490 just out himself as the composer of FIRST DATE?

by Anonymousreply 49206/27/2013

[quote]Atlanta's TOTS (Theatre of the Stars) is in danger of closing. This would mean no DREAMGIRLS with Jennifer Holliday!

Damn, is that grotesque bitch still playing Effie? Isn't Effie supposed to be 20 or 21 in the show? Granted Holliday is a one-note "performer" who only knows how to bellow, rant and have a nervous breakdown, but still. Isn't it time this harridan moved on to other roles?

by Anonymousreply 49306/27/2013

Never-was at R490 (etc.) needs to learn how to use troll-dar since I'm not the one arguing with her this time.

But, since I'm back, R492 may be on to something! If the shitty shoe fits...

by Anonymousreply 49406/27/2013

Why is Lil Crawford leaving ANNIE?

by Anonymousreply 49506/27/2013

Aren't those the ONLY gay plays, r487?

by Anonymousreply 49606/27/2013

R492: No.

by Anonymousreply 49706/27/2013

Big Pussy's gonna sing and dance. I'm there.

by Anonymousreply 49806/27/2013

Von Essen exposing his flat ass in Broadway Bares=one last gasp before old age. Cummings exposing his ugly pasty body in Macbeth=repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 49906/27/2013

Another flop announces boring casting:

Zach Braff, Brooks Ashmanskas, Betsy Wolfe, Vincent Pastore Set for Bullets Over Broadway, Opening in April 2014

by Anonymousreply 50006/27/2013

Is Take Me Out considered a gay play? What about The Baltimore Waltz? Or did they just not make the list?

by Anonymousreply 50106/27/2013

Betsy Wolfe in the MLP part, I presume.

by Anonymousreply 50206/27/2013

R491: That sounds awful. I keep wondering why producers don't learn to dump the "Broadway bound" thing. Don't they know it's a curse? Wouldn't it be better just to open your show regionally and have people demand it move in rather than telling the world it's moving before rehearsals begin?

FAR FROM HEAVEN, I'm talkin' to you.

The other jinx people should trash is "up-and-coming musical theater composer". New York is drowning in approximately 8,000 up-and-comers right now. Each with eight self-produced CDs and a handful of cabaret showcases at 54 Below as their sole credits. And when middle-aged Amanda Green and Andrew Lippa keep being included on the list, you know it's overstayed its welcome.

Eventually, you've got to up and come.

by Anonymousreply 50306/27/2013

But Far From Heaven was produced off-Broadway by Playwrights Horizons and was never promoted as "Broadway-bound." So what are you talking about?!

by Anonymousreply 50406/27/2013

r503 might be off on the specific but (s)he's spot on with the general. And, frankly, the hysteria with which every goddam stink-bomb of a musical is promoted as a Broadway incumbent leaves little doubt that all involved with FFH had their sights set on the Great White Way as an endpoint.

by Anonymousreply 50506/27/2013

Helene Yorke (Sharpay, Glinda 2nd national) for the Jennifer Tilly role. U of Michigan.

Oy. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 50606/27/2013

What is this Betsey Wolfe thing? Average blonde with a below-average voice. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 50706/27/2013

R503 speaks the truth and R505 adds valuable insight, I feel like those 2 comments should open every Theater Thread.

While I realize there was thread fight regarding John Michael LaChiusa, it is time to send him to some university to teach. Math. Or maybe science.

His faux-Sondheim musicals deadened many a theater season, and probably turned off too many people to new musicals - resulting in the musical reviews all over Broadway these last few years.

by Anonymousreply 50806/27/2013

So many shows now booked for theaters. Producers must have faith that unsuspecting tourists are willing to shell out the bucks for more mediocrity. More musicals based on movies. Anything original anymore??? Well there is First Date.

by Anonymousreply 50906/27/2013

Can we get a fourth posting of the BULLETS OVER BROADWAY announcement, please?

by Anonymousreply 51006/27/2013

I wouldn't describe Wolfe's voice as below average.

by Anonymousreply 51106/27/2013

Betsy Wolfe played DeDe in that dreadful TALES OF THE CITY musical, and she was REALLY good. She and Judy Kaye were the best things about it.

by Anonymousreply 51206/27/2013

r512 AHEM.

by Anonymousreply 51306/27/2013

I don't think she sang Rosa Bud well in DROOD (though she was genuinely funny in the role), but I've liked her voice in other things.

by Anonymousreply 51406/27/2013

Just got back from "The Scottsboro Boys" at the Ahmanson (with Hal Linden!) and all I could think of was how much Paula Deen would've loved it.

by Anonymousreply 51506/27/2013

I gather Betsy Wolfe is in the film of The Last 5 Years which is shooting now.

Is the LA production of Neil Simon's The Sunshine Boys co-starring Judd Hirsch and Danny Devito Broadway bound (see what I did there?)?

by Anonymousreply 51606/27/2013

Re: Bullets Over Broadway

Still to come are the casting of two roles: the stage diva Helen Sinclair, played on film by Dianne Wiest in an Oscar-winning performance, and the gangster Cheech, a role for which Chazz Palminteri received an Oscar nomination.

At least there is hope of someone interesting getting involved!

by Anonymousreply 51706/27/2013

Give it to Jenn Collela - she'd play the hell outta that role. She deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 51806/27/2013

Didn't Betsy Wolfe play Mary Ann (the lead) in the Tales of the City musical?

She looked horsey in the costumes. And Judy Kaye was way too Jewish bubbie for Mrs. Madrigal.

WEHT Jason Moore the director? His work on Tales was dreadful. Has he gone Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 51906/27/2013

No, Anna Kendrick is the star of the Last Five Years movie (with Jeremy Jordan). Betsy Wolfe did the recent revivial.

by Anonymousreply 52006/27/2013

Jason Moore directed the movie Pitch Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 52106/27/2013

r520 she has a cameo in the movie not just the "revivial"

by Anonymousreply 52206/27/2013

Anyone else hate it when a reviewer calls a musical a "confection"?....It is so pretentious and British and yes....gay.

by Anonymousreply 52306/28/2013

Does anyone think Sadie Sink, one of the new Annies, needs a stage name? She sounds like the Jewish lady upstairs in some Lower East Side tenement comedy.

by Anonymousreply 52406/28/2013

R524 No.

by Anonymousreply 52506/28/2013

That's Nolan Gerard FunkE, R525

by Anonymousreply 52606/28/2013

Why the fuck did those two see the need to use middle names professionally? Were there really other Norbert Butzes and Nolan Funkes they were worried about being confused with?

by Anonymousreply 52706/28/2013

Yes, R527

by Anonymousreply 52806/28/2013

You're right, Betsy Wolfe was Mary Ann. In that case, she was okay but nothing special. Wesley Taylor wasn't able to rise above the wretched book and blah score. Andrew Samonsky was okay as Beauchamp, and looked hot in a towel in the bathhouse scene. Wes Tay-Tay looked ... Uninteresting in the bathhouse scene.

Judy Kaye, who took over at the last minute (before rehearsals) when Batty Betty was let go over ridiculous demands, was excellent. Not really believable as mtf, but still good. She really wanted the show to move.

by Anonymousreply 52906/28/2013

r512 did you see BENT and think how much Governor Crisco would have loved it? (And no one is in an uproar and stripping him of his job for his bigoted beliefs that rob people of their civil rights.)

by Anonymousreply 53006/28/2013

Don't know why but I find New World Stages such a horribly unattractive venue. Anytime I've gone in there it just seems so drab and gray and looks more like an old warehouse instead of an Off-Broadway theatre. Maybe that's part of its appeal for some but it's just never worked for me (though to be fair, the new Signature looks like a Barnes & Noble, so there you go).

Haven't actually set foot in NWS in a while but going on Tuesday to see AVENUE Q with a friend (who's never seen it), so maybe it's changed some since I was last there (probably about two years ago).

by Anonymousreply 53106/28/2013

I agree, R532. The space can set the tone. Just stepping into the Music Box makes me happy for some reason, not sure why. But walking into the wannabe-hip, faux-industrial maze of NWS dampens my spirits to the point where I can't enjoy the show, no matter how good it might be. (Though, in all fairness, we're talking about the likes of BARE and MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET here.)

by Anonymousreply 53206/28/2013

I presume the triple namers add the middle one to make their name seem a little less ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 53306/28/2013

[quote]Just stepping into the Music Box makes me happy for some reason, not sure why.

Me, too, R533. The Music Box is one of my favorites, too.

Speaking of AVENUE Q, anyone know how it's holding up? Given how the guy in the box office gave me the run of the table yesterday when I was buying my tickets, even if the production itself is in good shape, I can't imagine it will be around for much longer.

by Anonymousreply 53406/28/2013

New World Stages had great potential but it has turned into a dump. I find the place actually depressing and its management should be replaced asap

by Anonymousreply 53506/28/2013

The Music Box is probably New York's most charming and comfortable theater. It ought to be called the Jewel Box!

by Anonymousreply 53606/28/2013

Oh please, New World Stages is Radio City compared to the brand new shithole The Stephen Sondheim. A $50 million black box with plastic seats. I sat in the front row and huge thick production electrical cables attached to the front of the stage were two inches from my knees. A complete lost opportunity to build a beautiful theater and they cheaped out made the worst theater on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 53706/28/2013

There should have been an Ethel Merman Theatre before there was a Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 53806/28/2013

Somewhat theatre related, I have heard that Dylis Croman of the Billy Ray/Miley Cyrus recent twitter scandal left both her husband and show business to be with Billy Ray. Now rumor has it that it was all for naught as their relationship is now over.

by Anonymousreply 53906/28/2013

The carpeting on the stairs at the Sondheim is already worn away and patched over with tape. Work done on the cheap always shows.

by Anonymousreply 54006/28/2013

R540. "Somewhat theater related." And how might that be?? Not on this planet.

by Anonymousreply 54106/28/2013

R504: From the NYTimes coverage: "The new musical “Far From Heaven,” written by Scott Frankel (music), Michael ... To fine-tune his Broadway-bound musical, a producer is using audience- feedback dials ..."

by Anonymousreply 54206/28/2013

[quote]"Somewhat theater related." And how might that be?? Not on this planet.

I'm not #540, but there is a CHICAGO connection to this story.

by Anonymousreply 54306/28/2013

[quote]There should have been an Ethel Merman Theatre before there was a Sondheim.

Well, you think the assholes at The Shubert Organization would do the right thing and name The Majestic, The Andrew Lloyd Webber since he broke all records at the place, he did the same for their Winter Garden, with "Cats". No, they're too busy kissing their own asses with The Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre and The Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, pencil pushers who never put a soul in a seat. Fuck'em I will always call them The Royale & The Plymouth anyway.

by Anonymousreply 54406/28/2013

I said somewhat theatre related because the affair began during his stint in CHICAGO, which at this point is less theatre and more a dumping ground for Dancing with the Stars rejects.

by Anonymousreply 54506/28/2013

New World Stages looks like it was designed by Geiger, the man behind the "Alien" design.

by Anonymousreply 54606/28/2013

The Sondheim is a disaster. It's a relatively small house (about 800, I think) that feels vast and impersonal; the exact opposite of what anyone wants. If I was Steve, I'd ask that they rename it.

by Anonymousreply 54706/28/2013

543, the musical you cite that is using audience-feedback dials is the "Broadway-bound" production of Somewhere in Time in Portland, Oregon, produced by dummy Ken Davenport.

by Anonymousreply 54806/28/2013

Whenever i go to New World, I can only think of the Worldwide Cinemas two dollar movies. Crazy-ass crowd everytime you'd go there.

by Anonymousreply 54906/28/2013

I miss the Worldwide Cinemas. Last of the $2 theatres in Manhattan. The shows were much more exciting than anything that's played there since it became NWS.

by Anonymousreply 55006/28/2013

You can see the gorgeous Dylis Croman dance the trumpet solo from Sing Sing Sing by you tubing Fosse The Musical. Not as good as Reinking, but stunning. Sorry to hear her affair was just a theatical fantasy if she and Billy Ray indeed did break up. Was probably due to crazy Miley.

by Anonymousreply 55106/28/2013

Dylis has been around for a while. She took over as Charity after Applegate broke her ankle and before D'Amboise came in. I think she also played a few performances on broadway.

Well, she finally got her name in the papers.

by Anonymousreply 55206/28/2013

"I presume the triple namers add the middle one to make their name seem a little less ridiculous."

John Michael LaChiusa

Jason Robert Brown

Aaron Jay Kernis

Who are the other pretentious 3 name composers?

by Anonymousreply 55306/28/2013

Lin-Manuel Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 55406/28/2013

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Stephen Ward musical has a teaser trailer.

"Stephen Ward your friendly osteopath. I can flex your lower back for you" is probably worse than "She dressed up like a pharaoh and sacrificed a chicken" from Sunset Blvd. Why is ALW so shit at picking a decent lyricist to work with?

by Anonymousreply 55506/28/2013

me, too!

by Anonymousreply 55606/28/2013

Who the fuck is Aaron Jay Kernis?

by Anonymousreply 55706/28/2013

Dylis also was the u/s for Josefina Gabrielle in Rodger and Ha..... excuse me.....

Rodgers + Hammerstein's OKLAHOMA!

by Anonymousreply 55806/28/2013

r556

For the same reason I pick my book writers.

by Anonymousreply 55906/28/2013

"'Optioned' and 'theatre is booked' are two very different things."

Thank you, R491. Clearly, R490 (etc.) is a dunce.

by Anonymousreply 56006/28/2013

[quote] Steve, winking (but you can't tell)

You're an evil fucker, but I admit I laughed.

by Anonymousreply 56106/28/2013

Can someone break up Zachary Quinto and Jonathan Groff. I want fat faced Groff OUT of the picture.

by Anonymousreply 56206/28/2013

r563

Get Quinto to give up showering.

by Anonymousreply 56306/28/2013

My understanding is that after splitting up with Tim Rice, ALW chose collaborators who would be subordinate to him so he could call all the shots.

ALW sure has been coming up with some repulsive concepts. First he has the Phantom pimping out Meg Giry to New York politicians so he can put over his crummy carnival, and now he's doing a whole musical about a pimp who catered to politicos.

by Anonymousreply 56406/28/2013

R563. Check the Zachary Quinto/Jonathan Groff thread. There seems to be some thought that they have already broken up, even before your decree.

by Anonymousreply 56506/28/2013

Groff isn't fat faced. He's high foreheaded.

by Anonymousreply 56606/28/2013

And fairly big dicked.

by Anonymousreply 56706/28/2013

Must be a grower.

by Anonymousreply 56806/28/2013

That Stephen Ward musical sounds like shit - I hope the other songs are better than what's in that trailer. And I can't believe how cheesy the demo sounds - c'mon, Lord Lloyd Webber, you can afford better than that.

by Anonymousreply 56906/28/2013

If Groff were still with Quinto you'd see Paulson with Him. She is Zach's hag.

by Anonymousreply 57006/28/2013

Groff can't help her career.

by Anonymousreply 57106/28/2013

Never seen Groff with Paulson

by Anonymousreply 57206/28/2013

Maybe they're the same person!

by Anonymousreply 57306/28/2013

R561: In my case, it is not. Get over yourself. For a board riddled with typos, bad grammar and wild misrepresentations, you two are sure gnawing on a bare bone. Enjoy, dogs.

by Anonymousreply 57406/28/2013

OMG - that Annie PBS documentary must have been a bitch to edit together - they basically avoided showing Annie and Miss Hannigan until they were forced to since they included the complete "Hard-Knock" musical number at the end.

So the choreographer was very cute but who was the smug scenic designer who basically said he could not imagine designing the crappy sets without his bratty daughter who helped him "understand" his work.

by Anonymousreply 57506/28/2013

The Annie doc didn't make it seem as if it is a hit. It was basically to show how adorable the little girls are. But they sure didn't showcase the lead character. Andy had 5 months to come up with ideas and that was the best he could do? Maybe he should have listened to the song another hundred times. Dragging the girls across the floor as if they were mops???? He should have done the bucket thing.

by Anonymousreply 57606/28/2013

The ANNIE set designer, David Korins. is HOT. BDF for days!

7-year-old daughter but no wife seen? Gay DILF?

Director James Lapine was also conspicuously absent from the docu...

by Anonymousreply 57706/29/2013

[quote]7-year-old daughter but no wife seen? Gay DILF?

She was on the Red Carpet with him. Apparently that's what you get when the choreographer and the scenic designer are straight. Lackluster. What a lousy doc. At the beginning the choreographer was addressing a different girl as 'Annie". Was she replaced? There was a shot of the director entering the stage door clearly after opening night as you could see him passing the exit doors of the theater with pictures and reviews that aren't installed until after opening. Where was Warbucks?

by Anonymousreply 57806/29/2013

R579: WHat? What? What? That choreographer was straight? ARe you fucking KIDDING me? (if so, wow: that is the most metrosexual gayish straight man I have EVER seen...

by Anonymousreply 57906/29/2013

David Korins is married to up and coming NY directr Carolyn Cantor. I think she comes from lots of family money.

by Anonymousreply 58006/29/2013

OK, R581 - that explains the entitlement attitude a lot - he had a very subtle "above it all attitude" which of course proved to be completely wrong for a depression musical about orphans.

Regarding the choreographer - how in God's name can he be straight??

by Anonymousreply 58106/29/2013

Is the pbs documentary on A Hard Knock Life available for free online view? I googled it but couldn't find a link. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 58206/29/2013

So...I'm still waiting for those naked pictures of Michael Arden!!

by Anonymousreply 58306/29/2013

We're ALL waiting for the Michael Arden pictures! As well as Theatre Gossip #115. which has got to be livelier than this dirge. Even some Alec Baldwin crap would be a boon Paula Deen for Hello Dolly! But can she sing?

by Anonymousreply 58406/29/2013

I found the annie documentary. Just go to pbs.com and it's there. That choreographer is cute cute cute. And straight?!? He's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 58506/29/2013

By the looks of the short clip of her performance, Katie Finneran was playing Hannigan as Cindi Lauper as Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage.

by Anonymousreply 58606/29/2013

r586 He's cute but that HARD KNOCK LIFE was the worst piece of shit I've ever seen. All those weeks and that's what he does. PBS was smart not to show James Lapine saying THIS BLOWS. GET THE BUCKETS, BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 58706/29/2013

I was hoping for some fantastic choreography, and wasn't exactly wowed by what was shown. I feel that using an orphan as a broom was just a little too literal in a weird way. I mean, i KNOW they're orphans and, uh, live a hard knock life, but I felt uncomfortable seeing them employed in that way. It seemed unnecessarily degrading.

by Anonymousreply 58806/29/2013

PAULA DEEN in Finian's Rainbow!

by Anonymousreply 58906/29/2013

What's Paula's nut? They'll love this on ATC!! Time for KZ to get out her banjo and go to town.

by Anonymousreply 59006/29/2013

Fuck ATC.. fuck em in the ass!

by Anonymousreply 59106/29/2013

Forgot to add... LOL R591 ;)

by Anonymousreply 59206/29/2013

[quote]Fuck ATC.. fuck em in the ass!

You owe ATC, any Theater Queen, the entire gay community, anyone with a Colostomy bag or Hemorrhoids and everyone you have ever met with a rectum an apology!

by Anonymousreply 59306/29/2013

Please don't tell me that after Wendy Williams is introduced as the "Countess of the clink....Matron Mama Morton".....she turns to the audience and says "How YU Doin"?

by Anonymousreply 59406/29/2013

The word on Broadway World is that couldn't sing, dance or act very impressively in Chicago. Good thing she wasn't doing Roxie or Velma.

by Anonymousreply 59506/29/2013

[quote]The word on Broadway World is that couldn't sing, dance or act very impressively in Chicago. Good thing she wasn't doing Roxie or Velma.

Yes, those parts require real triple-threat performers.

by Anonymousreply 59606/29/2013

r596

You can say that again.

by Anonymousreply 59706/29/2013

R594 = dramedy

by Anonymousreply 59806/29/2013

[r566] Rumor has it they did cause Jon hasn't been seen with ZQ since Feb. Rumor is Miles McMillan is ZQ's new piece cause he starting following Miles on instagram and wished him a happy birthday. Guy's also a model, which explains why ZQ is showing up at fashion shows now.

by Anonymousreply 59906/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.