Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you a local in a major vacation destination?

Like a beach town or a major city? Do you like it when you're in the tourist season?

by Anonymousreply 5206/29/2013

Yep. And owing a retail store I love taking their money. Makes up for all the extra traffic.

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2013

R1, do you make most of your income during the tourist season?

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2013

I do feel superior to the corn-fed Iowans when they roll in to town.

by Anonymousreply 306/15/2013

I grew up on the Jersey Shore. Every Friday in the summer was like preparing for a snow storm. You had to get to the store and get everything you would need for the weekend because once it hit, the traffic was so bad you really could not go anywhere. A friend of mine lived a few blocks off Rt88 (the road that takes you into Pt Pleasant Beach) and it was easier to walk to the 7-11 at the end of the street because it would take forever to drive it. The plus side was there was never a problem finding a summer job and I had some great ones on the boardwalk.

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2013

r3= Townie McShopbottom

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2013

Daytona Beach. I hate dealing with traffic and crowds of people when I want to get somewhere, so that's a headache. I live two blocks from the boardwalk, so any time there are events going on (Black College Reunion, Spring Break, Bike Week etc...) it's crazy. When nothing's going on though, it's pretty quiet and easy to get around. I like going for runs on the beach, so I prefer the quieter times.

What r4 said, about getting everything you need before people come to town. If you get well-stocked, you'll be fine. That includes cigarettes, because you don't want to be standing in line at your local 7-11 for 20 minutes with a bunch of tourists and spring breakers. It gets obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 606/15/2013

I live in Chicago and the tourists drive me nuts. I feel guilty saying this but it's true. The meandering groups on the sidewalk all walking side-by-side is bad enough but the worst is when I'm on the bus, running late to work, and some dumbass tourist puts one foot into the bus to ask for directions, holding up the entire bus. UGH.

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2013

Las Vegan here, season is all year long 24/7. What IS good about it is we have world class LOCAL events on the Strip. A lot more posh than Peoria. Otherwise we tend to cross the Strip just to get to the other side.

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2013

Yes. A small coastal village on the west coast. The tourists can be a pain but they only come around 6 months of the year or less. They clog the roads and get drunk and make fools of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2013

Myrtle Beach. Some beautiful guys visit for the golf and abundant easy women.

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2013

It's always tourist season here. Doesn't bother me, I just try to avoid major tourist clots like Union Square and the Wharf unless I really need to go there.

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013

LA 'er here. I hate summers, cause all the tourists get on Sunset Blvd., or any street, frankly, and drive 10 miles an hour, with no concept they are holding up traffic , all around them, hoping to spot a move star. Think opening of "The Beverly Hillbillies".

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2013

I work in the Wall Street area of NYC and There are tourist bus stops along the street on which my office is located. They are so rude. They constantly block the sidewalk, which is already pretty wide to begin with, but there are twenty or thirty of them sometimes and it is a PITA negotiating through the gawking crowds just to get to and from work.

This is how New York should be.

by Anonymousreply 1306/15/2013

I enjoy all the new faces on my Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 1406/15/2013

Incline Village NV. Like the above poster we make sure we do our shopping before the weekend. for the most part I don't mind the tourists. None of my neighbours rent out their houses and the worst Ive had was tourists trying to use our dock and private beach.

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2013

I loathe the tourists in my quaint town. And most of them look poor.

by Anonymousreply 1606/15/2013

R16, if poor people are using your town as a vacation spot, than you are truly the poor one.

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2013

Yes. Wine country. I don't mind...far more interesting than the locals.

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2013

I'm in a touristy part of Seattle, and there's a lot of loud young people out late, as well as families with little kids. Necessary evil for tax revenues, but I look forward to Labor Day every year!

by Anonymousreply 1906/15/2013

I love Incline Village r15.

by Anonymousreply 2006/15/2013

When is it not tourist season in NYC? The summer?

by Anonymousreply 2106/15/2013

Tourists are part of life. I live in SF, and most weekends, on my boat in Sausalito. Local/suburban tourists piss me off most. They block traffic, are loud and obnoxious, and complain loudest. When they honk at me and demand directions, I send them to the most dangerous ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 2206/15/2013

[quote]Like a beach town or a major city

Neither one, but we do have a tourist attraction that gets over one million visitors a year. Tourist season is all year except maybe 3 winter months after the holidays. But even then, it's still busy since we don't get much snow. Our downtown area is thriving and new non-chain restaurants seem to open everyday along with lots of micro breweries, so we love the tourists' money.

by Anonymousreply 2306/15/2013

I live in a California beach town near wine country. We stock up before the weekends and avoid the wineries as well as downtown.

It's a lot heavier in the Summer but we get tourists year-round. They're great for local businesses.

by Anonymousreply 2406/15/2013

[quote] A friend of mine lived a few blocks off Rt88 (the road that takes you into Pt Pleasant Beach) and it was easier to walk to the 7-11 at the end of the street because it would take forever to drive it.

How fat is he?

by Anonymousreply 2506/15/2013

My sister lives in a town at the foot of a Vermont mountain. She works at the resort up top. She loves her job and fiercely maintains that the celebrities and the ultra-rich are the easiest clients to deal with. They are very easygoing, shun the spotlight, don't make waves, and do not look for special treatment. The worst? Families from Westchester and Connecticut. They expect EVERY whim to be met. Period.

She knows that the town's economy sinks or swims by the mountain, and she's fine with crowded restaurants and grocery stores during season. Her only real complaint is the huge increase in traffic, compounded by idiots in expensive SUVs who have no idea how to drive in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2013

I'm in a minor tourist destination. Small town which quadruples in size for our long tourist season. It's nice to see the diversity and their money is good for our local economy. We don't have many fat people here, so you always know the fatties are the tourists. I don't mind our tourists, really, but then I usually stay away from downtown. I do mind the street traffic - I'm in a small town for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2013

[do you make most of your income during the tourist season?]

Yes. Although, we have 2 tourist seasons because the area is a big summer draw (lots of second homes or vacation renters) and in the winter we have skiing available. The summer does tend to be busier because many of the snowbirds come back from down south in addition to the weekenders, week or month long renters.

The slow months are Feb-mid-April.

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2013

I live in New York and avoid the tourist crowds most time where I live in Washington Heights (Grant's Tomb ain't as big a draw as it once was....) but I work at One World Financial Center directly across from the World Trade Center site and trying to get from West Street to Zuccotti Park is a nightmare almost all year long now.

The firm I am at used to be next to the Stock Exchange and there were fewer crowds on Wall Street than at the 9/11 site.

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2013

Yes. Not a major tourist destination but still too damn many of them. Traffic becomes a nightmare as soon as school is out until it starts again. At least us locals have side streets to dart around in our golf carts.

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2013

I live in Washington DC and try to get out of town as much as possible during the summer. It's hell having to deal with a bunch of tourists, especially since DC draws a lot of kids/families with kids.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2013

The tourist buses in NYC are great. The tourists are contained. They feel safe and we don't have to interact with them.

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2013

San Diego and I'm indifferent to it. The tourist are year-round but they can be avoided for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2013

I've lived in a couple of tourist spots, neither of them year-round. You plan your life to avoid popular places during the season.

by Anonymousreply 3406/16/2013

FL gulf shore town for me. A store trip ordinarily 10 minutes away can easily stretch into a 40 minute drive in season.

It was actually very nice until about 15 years ago when it started becoming grossly over-built. Fortunately mostly of the elder snowbirds eat early and retire early so you can avoid a lot if you're able to eat and shop later in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 3506/16/2013

Oy. Im in montauk and can barely get to the stores today. So much city trash is here. I saw bethenny at GD Kmart, isnt she a billionaire or something?

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2013

I live in NYC next to the Highline so lots of tourists. They can be annoying but mostly I feel good because I get to live here.

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2013

I grew up in the 1000 Islands (near Lake Ontario, more or less) - big, albeit small-scale, tourist attraction: Boldt Castle and the 1,000+islands. St. Lawrence river; quite beautiful.

Moved to Napa, CA - wineries agog.

Then to SF: 'nuff said.

THEN to NYC:oy.

Back to SF.

Back in 1000 Islands.

Canadian tourists: polite, don't tip much.

Napa tourists: used to see German families with babies, with NOTHING on the babies'heads, in 104 degree sun. Charming. Lovely.

NYC: tourists; hated 'em al.

SF: tourists, in August, THINKING, ha, it was hot; shivering in shorts at 8:00 am waiting for the cable car.

I suspect any of these STILL beats bum-fucke Iowa; am I right, boys?

(sorry for length of post; per the Procrastinator threat, am putting off 4 loads of overdue laundry)

by Anonymousreply 3806/28/2013

My mother lives on Cape Cod year round. It is an odd dynamic. The area relies on tourist traffic, but then everyone complains about all the annoying tourists.

by Anonymousreply 3906/28/2013

There's no KMart anywhere near Montauk, R36.

by Anonymousreply 4106/28/2013

it's always tourist season in New York. 47 Million of 'em per year.

by Anonymousreply 4206/29/2013

Trenton, NJ. It is heaven here.

by Anonymousreply 4306/29/2013

[quote]Local/suburban tourists piss me off most.

The Bridge and Tunnels. As a San Francisco resident, I agree. They are by far the worst.

by Anonymousreply 4406/29/2013

NYC here.. and agree with the local suburban tourists.... namely LONG ISLAND!!!!! Their biggest problem is that for some strange reason they believe that they are "city" people... so when they come to the city they act like they think a New Yorker would.... rude, obnoxious and loud.

by Anonymousreply 4506/29/2013

I live in Paris and it does not get more touristy than here. It is nice in July and August because there is nobody here except the tourists, especially august. The French all go on vacation practically at the same time and for well over a month.

by Anonymousreply 4606/29/2013

New Orleans. It used to be seasonal, then came Katrina and the levee failures and the rebuilding. Now it's year-round.

If you plan to venture anywhere near the Quarter (particularly on weekends) you have to calculate either the possibility of parking or being able to get a cab. Who's in town, and what are they doing?

The big change is... how to explain it... there are now a lot of places that were once local, then became touristy, but the tourists think are extremely local. Those are a nightmare. Frenchmen Street used to be a local jazz hub; now it's as thronged as Bourbon Street with people looking for a "REAL experience." A lot of restaurants are the same way. If a neighborhood place gets featured on Food Network or the Travel Channel, kiss it goodbye.

How we cope: knowing the tourism patterns; avoiding most of the Upper Quarter at all costs (because that's what lunkhead tourists think is "New Orleans"); and having the semi-private phone number for United Cab. Plus there's a number of great bars and restaurants in the tourist areas that tourists simply don't go in -- I don't know why. I can think of three bars half a block of Bourbon Street where tourists just won't walk in. And that's fine.

I honestly think the hipster invasion is going to be more deleterious than tourists could ever be. It's like bearded locusts that drive up the price of everything. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 4706/29/2013

Of course nobody here is ever a tourist themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4806/29/2013

I live and work in Waikiki. Most of the older tourists are ok. The younger millenial tourists convey both ignorance and a smug knowingness at the same time. The parades nearly everyone are a pain in the butt; the traffic comes to a complete halt. Hawaii wouldn't exist without the tourist money.

by Anonymousreply 4906/29/2013

Zephyr Cove, NV. Most of the houses near me rent out for the summer and winter and sit pretty much empty during spring and fall. I don't mind tourist seasons except that the price of groceries goes way up, but I work in Reno and do my grocery shopping there during tourist season and do my best not to have to shop here.

by Anonymousreply 5006/29/2013

[quote]Of course nobody here is ever a tourist themselves.

I honestly do my best to NOT act like a tourist when I'm visiting another area/city/country. That means not holding up traffic, being respectful & polite, and making every effort to fit in with the local vibe.

by Anonymousreply 5106/29/2013

I bet that when R51 visits Paris, he wears a beret

by Anonymousreply 5206/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!