Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New SPAM threat

I get "delivery error" messages claiming to be from hundreds of emails that were sent out with my return address (but apparently not from my email which has no sent emails), and apparently others have this too because these error messages were automatically put to the spam folder. I don't think my email has been hacked, but it is worrying if spammers are using my email address to send out spam, which would lead to it being blocked everywhere. I have a very complex password.

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2013

hey OP, spambots and hackerbots no longer use passwords to hack accounts, the reset the password instead, using your email providers "lost password" option.

it's the things like, "mothers maiden name", they can scrape that off of other data these days.

Be random with your security questions from now on.

Also could have come from another email so your account info would be the same in that case.

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2013

Do you use the Yahoo-AT&T email client, OP?

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2013

Nothing new about it. It's perhaps the oldest spam trick in the book - spoofed return addresses. Anyone can send out email set with any "FROM" address. If they choose your address, you get the bounce.

Google "email spoof"

by Anonymousreply 306/15/2013

[quote]spammers are using my email address to send out spam

That's correct. They haven't hacked into your account. They don't know your password. They're not changing your password. They're merely using your email addy to send their spam. It's rotten but it happens all the time. No sense in getting upset because there's nothing you can do about it. Ignore it and know you're one in a billion.

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2013

People who get freaked out about this make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!