Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Man of Steel" opens with $132 million 4-day and A- Cinemascore

That's $50 million MORE than the thread started by the idiot who said it "bombed beyond belief."

The Cinemascore grade means that audiences liked the movie.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 10111/30/2014

It's going to be big...BIG!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 306/15/2013

According to Rotten Tomatoes Man of Steel is at 57% and World War Z at 82% but I still think MOS will do better Box Office. There is a narrative in the gossip blogs that MOS is a hit and WWZ is a bomb and people are sheep.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 606/15/2013

I don't understand the haters for this film who want to see it fail! It's apparent that the DL has a lot of industry people here who have agendas to diss Man of Steel.

face it, it's going to do very well, and I'm happy for Cavill.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 706/15/2013

You make me laugh, R7. You're happy for Cavill. How sweet. Maybe he'll send you a card.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 806/15/2013

I'm happy for him because it just secures him starring in future Superman movies. I like him. Why so cynical and anal so early in the morning?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 906/15/2013

R1 The Marvel fluffer who has egg on his face from the other friend. Please clean your mancunt out because your overlords at Marvel want to reward you for a job poorly done!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1006/15/2013

Big budget action films are made for international - the us take is usually peanuts compared to international (asian markets are huge for action films).

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1106/15/2013

THe important thing is that the media will hail it as a HIT. The first weekend is all the media and public care about, and in that regard, MOS has won a huge victory.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1206/15/2013

It may be a hit, but from an artistic view it's a dud -- there are moments of majesty, and I liked how the fight scenes resembled comic book fights, but it's totally lacking in romanticism, charm, sophistication, style and smarts.

Russell Crowe (surprise) and Diane Lane give the best performances, but the rest of the cast is perfunctory. Cavill is pretty but bland. And why cast the immensely talented Amy Adams as Lois Lane but then reduce the role to nothing more than a plot function?

I'm surprised by that Cinemascore; when the movie was over, the two guys sitting in front of me seemed unimpressed -- one said, "Marvel does it better" and the other replied, "Yep."

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1306/15/2013

The only thing this movie has done is vindicate Brandon Routh.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1406/15/2013

R13 One was the DL Marvel troll and the other was his fluffer!

Soe of the so-called Marvel movies have been downright silly BTW. The Avengers was action/adventure slop of the highest order. Thor was so bad it was bad.You'd think with someone like Kenneth Branagh that it would have much much better than it was. As of yet Marvel hasn't had a movie that has reached the critical heights or quality of The Dark Knight. Though I must admit that X-Men First Class was pretty much the shining jewel of Marvel comic book movies so far.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1506/15/2013

Here in Virginia, the audience applauded at the end. That is very rare.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1606/15/2013

r15, your tastes are definitely not mainstream or indicative of the masses, not there is nothing wrong than that. Audiences loved Avengers, perhaps the most liked megablockbuster in years.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1706/15/2013

I'm no Marvel fluffer. I grew up on DC comics (I'm still waiting impatiently for a [hopefully good] movie based on The Flash), not Marvel.

But the truth is that the Marvel films HAVE been better than the DC efforts (and I include ALL of the Batman films -- I think the Nolan films were terrible). Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and The Avengers were varying degrees of artistic quality, but they were all entertaining and fun, something which Man of Steel definitely is not.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1806/15/2013

R17 Most people like junk food...that doesn't make junk food into artisanal food as a result! The masses are really asses. There's no accounting for bad taste. So something's popularity doesn't speak to its quality. A prime example would be the Queen Of All Cuntbags, Gwennie Paltrow! How she ever became popular is proof positive that giving a blowjob to Harvey Weinstein is a career maker of the highest order....

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 1906/15/2013

"Back to reality: The general rule that a film has to earn 2 1/2 times it's production budget (not including marketing which I'm guessing they probably spent close to another $100 million on) before it starts to see a profit. So that means this movie would probably have to earn around $600 million before it's even profitable.

Next weekend, World War Z (another movie with a $200 million budget) with Brad Pitt comes out and Man of Steel will be old news by then. World War Z is already getting great reviews unlike Man of Flops (see link):"

A movie's profit depends on box office gross which has to be higher than the production budget. World war Z is good, but it's not popular among viewers and will be just like any other regular movie. If you want a Man of Flops, go ask your boyfriend but Man of Steel will continue soaring for the next few weeks.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2006/15/2013

R16 they applauded at the showing in Connecticut I was at last night too.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2106/15/2013

[quote]the thread started by the idiot who said it "bombed beyond belief."

That post was a parody joke post, you Aspergery fanboi.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2206/15/2013

MOS had the 20th highest opening in history, second highest non-sequel opening behind Hunger Games.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2306/15/2013

I just got back from seeing it, and I really liked it. Amazing action, amazing effects, and Henry Caville is just fucking beautiful to look at (and his acting isn't nearly as bad or bland as some would have you believe).

Thumbs up.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2406/15/2013

Saw it this afternoon in Dublin. No applause at the end, maybe a feeling of relief. It's finally over! The movie is so long winded and repetitive. It has some good visuals, Cavill looks great but is sort of blank. Mostly got the feeling the whole thing was a prelude to a more interesting film.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2506/15/2013

bb

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2606/15/2013

Bump for the OP of the other thread who said he couldn't find this.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2706/15/2013

Does Henry Cavill really have chest hair, or did they make him shave it?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 2906/16/2013

R22 No it was planted by a Marvel insider you clueless twat! He's the one that fluffs all the Disney execs and now wants a promotion. after this opening he might get a demotion and become someone's butt boy at Marvel!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3006/16/2013

You, R30, are a mental case. Comic books have obviously rotted your brain like late stage syphilis. I'd tell you to grow up but what's the point?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3106/16/2013

R31 You are a clueless cunt. You must be the exec he's fluffing then?! Some people take bitchery/sarcasm/cuntiness so seriously. Honey you need to chill out, smoke a joint, take your psych meds, consult a psychologist and/or get laid. Oh don't forget to put on your caftan before you do all of that.....

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3206/16/2013

It had the 20th highest opening of any movie, second highest opening of a non-sequel.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3306/16/2013

So a bunch of brainwashed lemmings ran to throw money at a film that stealthily promotes fascism.

That's super, man.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3406/16/2013

[bold]Man of Steel: 113.1 million for the weekend. And 125 million including Thursday early screenings.[/bold]

"Though the movie obviously performed well nationwide given its huge opening, it showed particular strength in the Midwest, said Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman."

"But here’s the rub: the five-day Wed-Sun debut of Superman Returns, which was $83 million back in July, 2006, would be around $103 million today adjusted for inflation and about $118 million adjusted for a normal 3D/IMAX bump. As such, the much-anticipated, heavily-marketed, etc. etc. Man Of Steel sold just over 15 million tickets, or just a bit more than the 13 million tickets that Superman Returns sold in its official debut weekend. So what seems like a massive improvement on its face is partially merely seven years of inflation and the aforementioned 3D/IMAX advantage. Truth be told, it’s not a slam on Man Of Steel (because a $125 million debut is an unmitigated triumph for pretty much anything outside of a The Avengers 2 or Avatar 2) but just reinforces that Superman Returns, which earned $200 million domestic and $395 million worldwide, wasn’t so much a bomb as a massively over-budgeted tent-pole which couldn’t deliver record-breaking numbers to justify its $270 million budget."

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3506/16/2013

How are they comparing Man of Steel's OPENING weekend box office to the total sum of Superman Returns' domestic box office run?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3606/16/2013

R36 has reading comprehension problems.

--15 million tickets opening weekend (Man of Steel) vs. 13 million tickets opening weekend (Superman Returns)

-- $125 million opening weekend (Man of Steel) vs. $118 million (adjusted for inflation and 3D/IMAX) opening weekend (Superman Returns)

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3706/16/2013

Project much, R32? Fanboi, take thy own advice. You are truly unhinged off-the-rails-crazy-train batshit insane.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3806/16/2013

I think it will make at least $300 million domestically.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 3906/17/2013

Is there anything left to do except wait and see if it grosses $600 million worldwide? Also, didn't it make nearly all of its production budget back through promotional/marketing partnerships and tie-ins?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4006/17/2013

It's already at $200,281,486 world-wide.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4106/17/2013

Felt the exact same way, R25.

Glad that's out of the way and now a more interesting movie on a smaller scale can take place.

Russell Crowe was fantastic, actually.

Henry didn't really have much to say, it seems, but he looks fucking God-like.

Jesus, he's attractive!

So Jonathan Kent died saving the fucking dog? Whatever.

So much destruction! They made it seem like Metropolis was the size of Gotham, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago put together.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4206/17/2013

MoS had a lot of product placement, so it may not need to gross as much at the box office as some people think.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4306/17/2013

Of the 8 people at my weekly movie club, only 1 person liked it, and even that was a lukewarm endorsement.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4406/17/2013

Saw it, liked it. Henry looked so badass. Perfect casting.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4506/18/2013

[quote]MoS had a lot of product placement, so it may not need to gross as much at the box office as some people think.

Exactly. And I bet they spent AT LEAST $100 million on advertising alone - they advertised everywhere, from Dodge commercials to Twizzler packages.

[quote]Of the 8 people at my weekly movie club, only 1 person liked it, and even that was a lukewarm endorsement.

Not surprised. It's only got a 56% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Expect ticket sales to drastically drop this weekend when World War Z is released.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4606/18/2013

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, R46 is stupid.

Would someone kindly explain to R46 the economics of the promotional tie-in?

R46, I'm embarrassed for both of us.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4706/18/2013

Why don't we wait to see what's the ww gross by the end of the month, X-3 had a $104 million weekend, and only grossed $458 million worldwide outta a 200+ million budget

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 4906/18/2013

How is it for political propaganda? Is it a right wing teenage libertarian's wet dream like Batman? I might be tempted to go if not.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5006/18/2013

If it makes a lot of money, that's bad news. It means Henry will be a big success and will take even longer to come out.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5106/18/2013

Will World War Z be able to match MOS?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5206/18/2013

Nope, r52.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5306/18/2013

It's so strange how invested some are on all these Superman threads on its financial success. 59% on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5406/18/2013

I love Henry Cavill!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5506/18/2013

It has made $161,779,897

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5606/20/2013

Man of Steel surpasses $500 million worldwide!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5707/01/2013

[quote]Man of Steel surpasses $500 million worldwide!

The general rule is that a film needs to make 2.5 times the budget (not including advertising costs) to be considered a hit. So if it cost $200 million to make, it's finally broke even in terms of it's budget, but now it needs to probably earn another $75 million to make up for the advertising costs. So in reality, it's not a success yet.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5807/01/2013

Didn't they pay for production with massive amounts of product placement, though?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 5907/01/2013

Give it up, on the Ihop obsession.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6007/01/2013

R58 stop trying so hard. Apparently it has recouped its costs because they have green lighted more Cavill Superman movies.

Sorry.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6107/01/2013

It's breaking the bank...good for Henry!!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6207/01/2013

VOTN is correct: all the product placement reported recouped production cost; assuming promotion was about $150 million, the movie is well into profitability now.

Sad, though, considering the movie sucked donkey balls.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6307/01/2013

MoS with over $248. If it could get to $300m domestically, it would really be in hit territory.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6407/02/2013

i think MoS will manage to squeeze out $305 million in the States by time it leaves theaters in early August.

It's going to make a killing on Blu-ray and DVD sales.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6507/02/2013

just saw the movie in 3D.

EXCELLENT flick.

However, I couldn't really pay attention to ANYTHING except Henry Cavill's:

Lips. Cleft chin. Thick black hair. Blue eyes. Beautiful skin. Plump, big ass. Chest hair. Chest. Muscles. Codpiece.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6607/02/2013

It should be in some theaters past early August, well into September. Olympus Has Fallen still is in 165 theaters.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6707/02/2013

[quote]EXCELLENT flick.

Flick? You must be 65.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6807/02/2013

Finally caught Man of Steel at a bargain matinee. But even at that reduced price, I think I overpaid.

Hated the movie from the opening shots of Krypton until the very last second. Henry Cavill may be nice to look at but he has the depth of a koi pond.

Only good thing I can say about this movie is that it makes 2006's Superman Returns look like a masterpiece.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 6907/03/2013

Loved the movie, best 11 dollars I spent! The haters can go watch their Terminator movie.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7007/03/2013

Mrs. Cavill at R70, we're so pleased you didn't care that Superman killed 33,000 people by not moving the grudge match out of downtown Metropolis.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7107/03/2013

[quote]Henry Cavill may be nice to look at but he has the depth of a koi pond.

I've never seen him act, but this line made me laugh.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7207/03/2013

over $280 million now

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7307/13/2013

It has made over $282 million now and has the biggest box office revenue of the year in North America.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7407/18/2013

[quote]It has made over $282 million now and has the biggest box office revenue of the year in North America.

You said what now?

Double check your figures.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7507/18/2013

R74, unless you're getting a cut, WTF did you care enough to bump a 5-day old thread?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7607/18/2013

[quote]It has made over $282 million now and has the biggest box office revenue of the year in North America.

Try again, Miss Cavill:

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7707/18/2013

Hopefully the sequel improves upon this piece of shit.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7807/18/2013

By the looks of the top grossing movies, it's becoming more and more evident that they really could just put a cape or a robot suit on a block of wood and people will show up in droves to watch.

These actors can't possibly be under the delusion that they account for most of the money made (save GOOP) on these movies, right?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 7907/18/2013

[quote]Hopefully the sequel improves upon this piece of shit.

I never saw it, but I thought the critics liked it, as did most people. I heard it was true to the comic books. No?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8007/18/2013

Critics didn't care for it, r80. It didn't get scathing reviews, but it was not very warmly received. Overly expository, gratuitous and implausible action sequences, and the acting was wooden from everyone except perhaps Russel Crowe. It had lower critical scores than Batman, Spiderman, the majority of the X-Men movies, or anything Marvel Studios has put out so far (including The Incredible Hulk).

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8107/18/2013

Most people who saw it loved it, and a lot of people saw it.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8207/18/2013

[quote]implausible action sequences

But can anything in a superhero movie really be considered "implausible"?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8307/18/2013

The shot up into outer space while fighting and just happened to hit a satellite. That was the last straw for me.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8407/18/2013

r84, you are too old (minded?) and cranky to enjoy these superhero and action movies.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8507/18/2013

I guess the only saving grace is Cavill - obviously not for his acting.

Guess I'll see it on cable.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8607/18/2013

I'm 25, so I'm really not. In fact, I'm a pretty big fan of the genre in general. I was just extremely underwhelmed with MOS.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8707/18/2013

Looks like Warner Bros will have Batman featured in the next Man of Steel movie coming out in 2015.

Cavill was the belle of the ball today at Comic Con and looking very good.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8807/20/2013

Um R84, they are from Krypton, not human beings. Is this your first time hearing about Superman and Gen. Zod?

Silly fool.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 8907/20/2013

Man's officially A-list.

Let the casting call for beards commence!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9007/20/2013

He is so fucking mediocre!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9107/20/2013

But he's hot, Joe. So very fucking hot.

I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on his personality, but he's just dull as dishwater. He doesn't really have anything to say. It's cute how the little fangurls think he's so smart because of the accent when he simply isn't.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9207/20/2013

Henry Cavill is NOT hot! He's a pretty boy, who has a good, not great body (and even that takes some effort). He may be very easy on the eyes, but he lacks sex appeal. Then add in that bland, charisma free personality and you're left with nothing more than a living, breathing Ken doll.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9307/20/2013

Joe, what movies have you been in that earned over $600 million? Hmmmm?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9407/20/2013

An anatomically-correct Ken doll, so the best kind.

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9507/20/2013

[quote] HENRY Cavill‘s playboy past caused his split from Kaley Cuoco, sources say.

The pair only dated for a matter of weeks, and the romance came to a grinding halt fairly quickly.

Kaley’s The Big Bang Theory costar, Johnny Galecki, also reportedly contributed to the split.

“Henry’s a ladies’ man,” dishes an insider.

“And even though Kaley and Johnny broke up three years ago, they’ve remained really close pals. Johnny was worried for her and thought Henry wasn’t being genuine.”

Henry was engaged to champion horse jumper Ellen Whitaker before jumping into the arms of Gina Carano. And after he crossed paths with Kaley this spring, he quickly ditched Gina to pursue Kaley.

“That’s how Henry works… he gets invested in a girl but drops her when another stunning woman shows interest,” said the source.

“Johnny thought Henry was using her for publicity. She’s looking for the real deal but keeps picking the wrong guy.”

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9607/20/2013

Laughing at that gratuitous reminder of Johnny Galecki's "dating" relationship with Kaley Cuoco, while simultaneously talking about what a ladies' man Cavill is.

Two birds with one stone!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9707/20/2013

Is that from the Onion?

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 9807/20/2013

Cavill is a hit! MOS is a hit! Sweet, dude!

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 10007/25/2013

It made $291,045,518

by Heny Cavill's chest hairreply 10111/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.