Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question for DL hair experts

Got a haircut today and the stylist told me not to shampoo everyday. She said to shampoo twice a week and only wash with conditioner the other days. I know daily shampooing is supposed to be not great for your hair, but I use styling product and Rogaine in my hair and feel like it will have a tremendous amount of build up without daily shampooing. She swore, though, that conditioner would get my hair clean enough. Is she right?

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013

I'd have to look at your hair to see if it's layed, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2013

No. She is not.

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2013

Do NOT take hygiene advice from a stylist who smokes Kools while eating donuts.

by Anonymousreply 306/15/2013

Was Tabatha in a bad mood when she said it?

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2013

Your stylist has recommended a routine that many stylists suggest and one that many men and women like.

Washing with conditioner on non-shampoo days is called co-washing (conditioner-washing). Most shampoos contains harsh sulfates, their job is to remove dirt and product residue. But, they can really strip your scalp and hair. Co-washing (conditioner is mostly water just like shampoo) with the friction of your fingers, rinsing then repeating can cleanse your scalp and hair without stripping.

But, it's not for everyone. If your scalp produces too much oil, you might end up with limp hair. Some people HAVE to wash every day. There's a woman I know with very fine, straight hair but her scalp produces lots of oil so she has to wash it every day or it looks very limp and frankly nasty. She tried co-washing on the advice of others for about 6 weeks. It was awful.

Bear in mind, those who do like co-washing say it takes time for your scalp to acclimate to the new method. If you're not willing to give it a chance then you probably shouldn't start.

Also, you might try washing with a less harsh shampoo. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is much more abrasive than Sodium Laureth Sulfate. There are other shampoos, I suggest reading the ingredients and trying out a few. I use shampoos with Sodium Laureth Sulfate, I shampoo 2-3 times a week. I do not co-wash. I use a homemade astringent on my scalp between washings and after workouts. This has worked well for me.

Another thing people fail to mention most of the time is that depending on what conditioners/styling products you use, you may HAVE to use a shampoo with sulfates. If your conditioner/styling aid contains silicones for examples, they can only be removed with a sulfate shampoo. If not, it just builds on the hair shaft and scalp.

Try different methods, you can see how washing one day less a week works out, try a different shampoo, experiment with co-washing, read up on ingredients and make a list of things to look for/avoid.

by Anonymousreply 606/15/2013

Thanks, R6!

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2013

I cut back on washing every day to washing every second day. It made a huge difference to the condition of my hair. It is glossy and lustrous now and really responds to a wash, gaining lots of body. It took a while to adjust, about 2 weeks. My scalp was itchy at first on the days I didn't wash but that is no longer the case. We use way too much shampoo, it's not good for the hair.

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2013

I agree with R6. I wish I didn't have to wash my hair every day but I have fine, straight hair and if I don't wash it every day it looks limp and kind of greasy. The every other day regimen seems to work well for people with coarser, wavier hair.

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2013

I wash my hair every day with sulfate free shampoo from Trader Joe's and don't use conditioner. I work out every day and the thought of not washing my hair is gross.

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2013

I like Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo but not the others. I shampoo every other day and use that, baby shampoo, or Neutrogena.

My scalp is super sensitive and reacts to a lot of commercial shampoos.

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.