Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Big U.S. Companies You Might Not Know Are Religious

Talking about religion and politics can be dangerous among friends. It's doubly so for businesses.

That double-edged sword became crystal clear last year after Chick-fil-A's COO made comments about the chain's opposition to gay marriage. It sparked a massive backlash from the media, gay and lesbian couples, and even the mayor of Boston.

The controversy also helped the company shatter sales records after former Arkansas governor and Fox commentator Mike Huckabee organized a "Chick-fil-A appreciation day."

Many other big companies in America are also religious, including some that might surprise you.

(list at link)

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2013

What I find interesting and disappointing is that only one of those companies is Jewish owned. But thrilled that the Timberland owner canceled his contract with the Chinese company. Wish there were more Jewish CEO's like that guy.

by Anonymousreply 106/14/2013

Every time I see pictures from that shit-fil-a appreciation day it makes me want to punch a puppy.

by Anonymousreply 206/14/2013

Interstate Batteries says they will 'glorify God as we supply our customers worldwide with top quality, value-priced batteries...'

This explains why their batteries don't work in any of my 11 vibrators.

by Anonymousreply 306/14/2013

I do not care if they are religious or what religion they are. I care when they use a religion and my money to create an atmosphere of hate.

The folks at DL knew what Chick-fil-A was up to way before it ever went public. One of the many reasons I love DL!

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2013

I knew In-N-Out would be on here. But they're not religious, one of the founder's sons was a born again who died in a plane crash and they started printing the verse to honor him.

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2013

r5 no that's not why.

[quote]Likewise, the search for a good backstory to enliven whatever appears even slightly mysterious has given birth to a rumor that the presence of the Bible verses is in some way connected to the 1993 death of son Richard Snyder (41) in a plane crash. Though even In-N-Out Burger can't provide a precise date of when the Bible citations were first placed on its packaging, company records indicate they've been there at least since 1987, which rules out the "deceased son" theory.

by Anonymousreply 606/15/2013

[quote]What I find interesting and disappointing is that only one of those companies is Jewish owned.

Jews don't proselytize so it would be unusual for a Jewish business owner to talk about religion publicly.

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2013

Hobby Lobby is owned by Dominionist Christians.

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2013

Some of them seem to be a stretch.

I guess we can add that Harvard has a divinity school, and the U.S. Mint puts "In God we trust" on currency.

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2013

Carl Karcher was also a member of the KKK.

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2013

The Toms CEO is repugnant. Anyone who uses their "charitable donations" as a ply to get you to like his company, and of course, make him rich, is vile.

In addition, his shoes are without style, form or function.

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013

The Marriott Hotels I've always known about. In and Out burger is interestingly scary.

At this point Chick-fil-A has become a proxy of anti-gay hatred. Many people don't publicly attack gays, but they publicly became radical supporters of Chick-fil-A - AKA homophobia by proxy.

Be wary of Chick-fil-A defenders.

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2013

What about that Dr. Bronner's soap? There are crazy/religious rantings all over the bottle. I only bought it once and am reluctant to buy it again. Too freaky.

Anthropology/Urban Outfitters and Domino's weren't on that list. Perhaps too well known (but so is Dick-Fil-A).

by Anonymousreply 1306/15/2013

Let up not forget JM Smuckers for refusing to hire Figure Skater Johnny Weir on their "Stars on Ice' show, because Weir was not "Family Friendly".

by Anonymousreply 1406/15/2013

Chick-fil-A is world famous for being Americas main anti-gay restaurant franchise.

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2013

I guess the one I have the most problem with is the gun manufacturer. I think religions should be peace loving. I was raised in a religious home, although I'm not particularly religious. From my parents perspective, however, guns and God don't mix.

by Anonymousreply 1606/15/2013

[quote]What about that Dr. Bronner's soap? There are crazy/religious rantings all over the bottle.

Dr. Bronner probably was a bit crazy, but his great- (and great-great) grandchildren still run a great company. The company's ethical principles are described at the linked page.

So, it would seem okay to use as much of that soap as you like.

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2013

[quote]Anthropology/Urban Outfitters and Domino's weren't on that list.

Why would Domino's be on the list?

by Anonymousreply 1806/16/2013

[quote]Mike Huckabee organized a "Chick-fil-A appreciation day."

I doubt that obese fuck would do the same if the place only served steamed fish.

by Anonymousreply 1906/16/2013

I think Monaghan is no longer running Domino's.

by Anonymousreply 2006/16/2013

Domino's Pizza was founded by staunch Catholic Tom Monaghan, who openly supported anti-abortion groups, including the terrorist Operation Rescue. Ironic how they sold the company to the Satanic investment group, Bain Capital.

by Anonymousreply 2106/16/2013

[quote]Monaghan is no longer running Domino's.

He sold Domino's about 15 years ago. R13 is posting from 1997.

by Anonymousreply 2206/16/2013

Chick-Fil-A = Jesus Chicken

JM Smuckers = Jesus Jam

Marriott Hotels - Jesus Lodging

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!