Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How would you react if Hollywood went Bankrupt and out of business?

That no more films and back to theatre. How would you react? I'd miss Tom Cruise a bit, and science fiction films. Other than that, I think I wouldn't mind adjusting to a movie-less world.

by Anonymousreply 2806/15/2013

OP they make movies in other places besides Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 106/14/2013

You'd miss that uber fake control freak $cientology nutcase? Seriously OP?

by Anonymousreply 206/14/2013

I wonder if they would put Chinese and Indian films in the theatres.

by Anonymousreply 306/14/2013

I would not miss motion pictures at all.

Live theater is my preference.

by Anonymousreply 406/14/2013

No more Seth Rogen?!

by Anonymousreply 506/14/2013

Hollywood is more than just the big studios.

In essence it will always be called Hollywood (It may morphed into something different), but the film community will always be alive in the US. Whether films will be streamed over the internet, on arthouses, and multiplexes Hollywood will always be part of American culture.

I said this on another thread sometime ago, but American cinema is entering a mini golden age. A lot of small( almost intimate) films will leave their mark. Especially because regular people will be involved in their making. We are beginning to see that through sources like kickstarter or other founding methods.

Actually, I would say fanfiction is an untapped sourced. Filmakers will start going there.

A lot of regular people will create animated shorts/full length films by using internet sources like "Blender" and such. Dl has a lot of talented people who should look into that medium. If you don't make it in Hollywood, but you feel like you have something to say? Create your own media and write your own stories.

There's something about American culture that makes people want to create media. That's not going to change anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 606/14/2013

R6 is right. Hollywood is important because its players act important. They make the worst, shameless shit (never more so than now, ever) and demand money and gratitude. Fuck THAT.

by Anonymousreply 706/14/2013

I would be happy that those who have deified themselves would be out of work and forced to live with ordinary people.

"Don't you know who I was??"

by Anonymousreply 806/14/2013

What if the sky turned green? What if we had two suns instead of one? What if you could fly?

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2013

R8 What you have to understand is that there are toxic people everywhere. We all know that one person who thinks they are above everyone else. You encounter them in all walks of life.

A blockbuster movie is not necessarily a bad thing. Not every film experience has to be memorable. Actually, the success of a mindless action flick may help bankroll a lot of fine small films.

I don't fine anything wrong with blockbusters. Exploitative and dark films (like Hostel) are imo the real danger for Hollywood. I don't know what really inspired that film, but there's a lot of dark/evil energy surrounding the making of that film. It's definitely not something that you want to bring home.

by Anonymousreply 1006/14/2013

If it's bankrupt with a capital B, I may need a moment.

by Anonymousreply 1106/14/2013

The theatah!? In Hollywood?!

by Anonymousreply 1206/14/2013

Well smell you, Ethel Barrymore at r4!

by Anonymousreply 1306/14/2013

r10 if you noticed in the past eight years or so there have been in increase in horror films. This year has been sort of quiet in comparison but there have been several released throughout the year in the recent past. They were mostly coming out of Screen Gems. They are pretty cheap to produce and they can churn them out fast and make a good profit cause horror fans are a reliable market.

by Anonymousreply 1406/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 1506/14/2013

Here r10 the numbers on Hostel.

The film's opening weekend North American box office gross was $19.5 million, making it the top grossing film that weekend. It went on to gross a total of $47.2 million in the U.S. The film's budget was around $4.8 million, and the film went on to gross over $80 million at the box office worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 1606/14/2013

Never mind bankrupt. California is going to fall into the ocean sooner than later and there goes most of the stars, directors, writers, etc. No more TV shows, no more movies, lots less music, etc. It's gonna happen. Wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 1706/14/2013

Personally, I can't wait. Fuck them and fuck all celebrities. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 1806/14/2013

I would not be on the internet nearly as much.

by Anonymousreply 1906/14/2013

I haven't seen a modern movie since "Witness" (1985) except one time in 2006 when a sick friend wanted me to go with her to see "Thank You For Smoking". I watch TCM daily & that's the standard for me. So I wouldn't mind if Hollywood sank into the sea tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 2006/14/2013

It's the pictures that got small!

by Anonymousreply 2106/14/2013

I don't like Tom cruise, but would miss his movies. OTOH, I would not miss every frickin no-talent reality celebrity on TV. If we're lucky, no more Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 2206/14/2013

It wouldn't happen. Or, we'd find other ways to tell stories. It's a huge part of being human. Telling tales that we can all relate to. Or that teach us. Or that make us feel.

Hollywood would just resurrect itself, somehow.

by Anonymousreply 2306/14/2013

Bite your tongue R17 !! We Californians are survivors.

R20 I hope you're joking. There's fine cinema every year. Plus there are some gay films worth watching (that were made after 1985!).I especially like watching gay short films.

Nothing beats a good horror film R14. I used to loved them as a child.

The studios make good buck out of them, but films like Hostel (and the Saw franchise to a certain extent) are just vile cruelty. There's nothing redeeming about a film that disensitises the viewer that way.

Eli Roth must be in some really heavy stuff, because it takes a very sinister mind to write such a script and then graphically choreograph it for film.

I really mean it when I say this (I don't know if Eli Roth is to be blame) but this film is no accident. There's some really bad energy behind that film. I can't put my finger on what it is, but there's something really dark energy there.

by Anonymousreply 2406/15/2013

One word: BOLLYWOOD!! ching-ching-ching!

by Anonymousreply 2506/15/2013

R4, it is not a preference, it is an orientation. GEEZE!

by Anonymousreply 2606/15/2013

R24, I know what you mean. There was something menacing and creepy about it, at least in the ads.

I usually just ignore horror films. "Hostel" made me react, which I suppose is what they were going for. It was a strong aversion reaction, which I suppose is not what they were going for.

by Anonymousreply 2706/15/2013

There's plenty of old movies I haven't seen.

And for the last several years, I've preferred television series to movies.

by Anonymousreply 2806/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!