Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sodomy does NOT mean homosexual. It means sex without love or rape.

The bible never links the story of Sodom with homosexuality.

[quote]“The Bible condemns many things in the story of Sodom (lack of hospitality, humiliation of fellow human beings, brutality and violence toward others, pride, decadence, serious breech of human ethical obligations), but homosexuality is not one of them.”

"Sodomy" was translated into "homosexuality", although in Greece, both words have completely different meaning.

"Sodomy" in Greek is "unethical sex" or "sex without love". It has no link whatsoever to homosexuality, yet, the translators wrote homosexuality instead of sodomy.

Now, common population thinks that the Bible is against homosexuals, while in the Greek and Hebrew versions, the Bible was against "sex without love". And that helped alot at making people hate Christianity.

The Sodomites were not “gay”. They were rapists. This is why Lot could offer his daughters in replacement, why the Judges version of the tale actually has a female substitute, and why those few Biblical references to Sodom as being sexually-related speak in general terms rather than specific ones.

Read The Invention of Sodomy in Christian Theology by Roman Catholic scholar Mark Jordan

by Anonymousreply 2606/18/2013

Ezekiel’s condemnation of Sodom (Ezekial 16: 49-50) bears this out: “Behold,” the prophet says in God’s voice, “this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: pride, fullness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty and did abominations before me, and I took them away as I saw fit.” (note: “toevah” or “abominations” is used 39 times in Ezekial – 29 times referring to idolatry, five times to female prostitution and idolatry, twice to heterosexual adultery, once to violence, and once to usury). To read “homosexuality” into this context has absolutely no basis in the text.

by Anonymousreply 106/14/2013

Sodomy means sex without rape?

I hate you for your sentence structure. People should throw rocks at you.

by Anonymousreply 206/14/2013

Who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 306/14/2013

My father was a pastor and Biblical scholar and he said stuff like this happened all the time. He said translating the original into the many different languages effectively ruined the original content.

Not to mention, that the Bible was transcribed by monks for centuries before the printing press, which means it's also subject to the "telephone game" we all played in kindergarten. The Bible is a hot mess.

I'm an atheist so I never really cared, but it's interesting nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 406/14/2013

Warden Norton disagrees, OP.

by Anonymousreply 506/14/2013

Stop playing by their rules, you'll never win. Set the standard that it shouldn't matter what a fictional book says, PERIOD.

by Anonymousreply 606/14/2013

I don't care what it's called, OP...Mama's mussy is moister than a Duncan Hines cake and it needs some trouser gravy!

by Anonymousreply 706/14/2013

I thought this was interesting. It's not gender mating that's condemned, but different flesh...angel flesh that is condemned for mating with human flesh.

"When you read this text more closely you also notice, from the very start, that the visitors to Sodom are directly identified as angels, not human males. In the vocabulary used to describe them, in their conversation, in the respect offered them by Abraham and Lot, and in their display of supernatural powers, the figures are clearly other-worldly. It is the first thing the writer tells us (18:1, 19:1). Their celestial identity also drew the attention of later Biblical writers (Jude 5-10; 2 Peter 2:4-12; Hebrews 13:2 NIV) and became the subject of Jewish legend.

Sexual intercourse with angels, whatever their gendered appearance, violates the orders of creations, but it is not homosexuality. It is not same-flesh but, in the words of Jude, “different flesh” sexuality.

As you’ve shown, there is no biblical evidence for describing the sin of Sodom as homosexuality. Indeed, the Bible does not tell us whether the people of Sodom EVER engaged in homosexual acts. A close, conservative reading of the text undermines its traditional interpretation."

by Anonymousreply 806/14/2013

At our house, sodomy and rape are synonymous.

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2013

Yeah, I know...Christianity is fiction but you should care because over one billion people care and they have been lied to.

I am a Christian, but I know most of you are not Christians, but it doesn't matter what you believe when millions, if not billions, of people are being taught to hate you based on an outright lie, a lie that can be easily disproven.

You should care that the ruling elite are pushing an agenda based on lies that has nothing to do with Christianity, whether you believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 1006/14/2013

First Bible ever written. 350 A.D.

by Anonymousreply 1106/14/2013

RChristian, then you do something about it.

by Anonymousreply 1206/14/2013

Colour me a classicist, but I find that 'Love Or Rape' was Madonna's finest album.

by Anonymousreply 1306/14/2013

This is fairly well understood now. Most influential Christian clergy have abandoned the story of Sodom as grounds for discrimination. They use Leviticus (which they otherwise ignore), and a comment in a letter from Paul. They don't see to care that Jesus had a boy-toy and never said a word about homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 1406/14/2013

Sodomy originally meant a waste of semen, so any sexual act that did not result in procreation was thought to be sodomy.

by Anonymousreply 1506/14/2013

[quote]Yeah, I know...Christianity is fiction but you should care because over one billion people care and they have been lied to.

Your problem is you think they're going to see it as lying. The faithful have shown again and again that they are impervious to logic. They'll use a convenient excuse and shut you out.

by Anonymousreply 1606/14/2013

That's onanism. Sheesh. Let the grown-ups play.

by Anonymousreply 1706/14/2013

Religion is not about logic. It's about faith.

by Anonymousreply 1806/14/2013

Religion is just silly.

by Anonymousreply 1906/15/2013

[quote] Sodomy does NOT mean homosexual. It means sex without love or rape.

Sex without rape sounds just horrible!

by Anonymousreply 2006/15/2013

The Sodomites were indiscriminate rapists, just like you Kirk.

by Anonymousreply 2106/15/2013

Apparently the message has not gotten through because I did a survey of my family at our father's day dinner and all thought sodomy meant homosexual sex and that sodomists were homosexuals. I had to re-educate them.

by Anonymousreply 2206/16/2013

Don't get my fat ass started.

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2013

On a serious note, please, OP, recall also that temple sex practices among non-Hebrew groups were part of the issue the Israelites had with various activities. Conflation of sex acts with polytheistic, non-Yahweh, non-covenantal mores has added greatly to misunderstandings about "kill the queer" attitudes in the Torah.

It's best not to try to argue against the past and its judgments on human sexuality. It's best to accept, as rational human beings in the present, that the Torah and its distorted descendant, the New Testament, and its bizarre bastard, the Koran, are irrelevant when it comes to telling us what to do with our bodies. Other than the onus to treat others as we would be treated. The authority of past millennia is nonexistent for us. Not the usefulness, the interest, the meaningfulness - the authority.

Trying to defend oneself against religious crazies and their (supposed) operative texts leaves out one crucial fact: These people are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2406/16/2013

Just keep telling yourselves that on your way to hell.

by Anonymousreply 2506/17/2013

On the contrary, we must argue against them, because they are all lies. One scholar pointed out that the Bible has a great fear of people having sex with supernatural beings (except obviously in the case of Jacob having sex with the angel who named him Israel, and Mary and God). And another pointed out that nothing translated sodomy or homosexuality had anything to do with these ideas in Greek but with things like temple prostitution. But I think the point of the Sodom story is that it is repeated in Gibeah and it is clear from that story that what was feared was not homosexual rape but human sacrifice to the God Belial.

The point is there is no theological or scholarly justification from the Bible for antigay hate, either in the original languages, where it is all over the Bible, or in translation.

by Anonymousreply 2606/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.