Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Men's formal wear

What happened to the peacock? Why do men take the dull and easy way when it comes to dressing up?

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2013

I agree, OP. I'm not a prisspot but I love dressing up for different occasions. I'm always disappointed in men who wear the same clothes to work, to the gym, or out for the night.

by Anonymousreply 106/14/2013

That's not what I mean. I mean men wear tuxedos. If they are bold they'll go with a slight variation on the classic tuxedo.

I realize many men are not interested in fashion and are happy that they have a formal uniform. But why don't more men break the rules?

by Anonymousreply 206/14/2013

+1, OP

by Anonymousreply 306/14/2013

[quote]What happened to the peacock? Why do men take the dull and easy way when it comes to dressing up?

Because most of us are not flaming queens.

by Anonymousreply 406/14/2013

That's just another example of my point. If you depart from the herd you are called a faggot, even by other gay men. Why? If you look at formal portraits of men from the past, they dressed up as much as the women. The the industrial revolution and men's formal wear got more and more boring.

by Anonymousreply 506/14/2013

I think that AIDS and the rise of the LGBT community killed men's fashion.

Look at the silly skirts basketball players wear.

Add to that casual fucking Fridays where the fraus use it as an excuse to wear tights and flip-flops to work.

On casual Friday I wear a bow tie that I tie myself. It's my only concession.

by Anonymousreply 606/14/2013

[quote]I wear a bow tie that I tie myself.

Is there any other kind? I mean, really?

by Anonymousreply 706/14/2013

r7, I had to be specific, however, you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 806/14/2013

I went to a wedding last weekend, and I wore a blue bow tie with white polka dots. It was so much fun.

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2013

It is sad that our idea of fun is to wear a bold tie with out black and white penguin uniform. Why not a colorful jacket?

by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2013

r10, pastels are nice for Summer but also look like prom wear.

Any other suggestions for colorful mens formal wear?

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2013

Men, be grateful for what you have. Men get to buy a couple of good formal suits and wear them for decades without physical pain, women are expected to buy expensive new gowns for every big occasion, and wear them with agonizing heels and shapewear, etc.

Honestly, there's got to be some sort of middle ground, where everyone can dress up, and without hurting themselves. Sadly, things seem to be going in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!