Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Male fashion is castrating.

The 'skinny jeans' craze is a curse. I bought into the hipster/cool image in high school (as did most of my peers), and it wasn't until a couple years later that I realized that my masculinity and manhood seemed to be on a downward slope.

It wasn't until I was walking out of the house and caught my reflection that I saw the depths of my depravity. Skinny jeans, by design, actually cause men to walk like women by pulling the legs closer together and restricting movement.

Subconsciously, this does A LOT of DAMNage. As soon as I took those jeans off, I trashed all of my pairs of skinny/slim fits, and jumped back into a pair of loose fitting jeans, I felt 10x better. It was then that I discovered that I had to actually TRAIN myself to literally WALK like a man again.

Thankfully I'm highly self-observant and introspective, so I was able to pick up on and solve my problem. But how many men out there are unconsciously CASTRATING themselves? It's really sad. And skinny jeans are only one aspect.

Moreover, watching the first few seasons of Mad Men made me realize men in general have been reduced to dressing the way only boys on the playground dressed 50 years ago.

Next up: Female sluttish fashion. Sluttish attire isn't feminine, it's aggressive, pushy - designed to intimidate. They do it for the feeling of power it gives them over susceptible men, of which there are plenty in consumer culture. Men who fall for women who entice lust is a form of idolatry. It's because the mind isn't seeing the human, it's seeing an archetype. It's an illusion.

by Anonymousreply 5306/15/2013

Ms. Paglia is sharting commentary after her third box of wine.

by Anonymousreply 306/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 406/13/2013

Slow night in your men's rights reddit subgroup OP?

by Anonymousreply 506/13/2013

But you hipsters look so ballsy in your girl jeans.

by Anonymousreply 606/13/2013

[quote]As soon as I took those jeans off, I trashed all of my pairs of skinny/slim fits, and jumped back into a pair of loose fitting jeans, I felt 10x better. It was then that I discovered that I had to actually TRAIN myself to literally WALK like a man again.

by Anonymousreply 706/13/2013

Clothes that are fitted (not necessarily "skinny") look better than baggy sack cloths on people who aren't overweight.

by Anonymousreply 806/13/2013

Bitch, women's fashion is worse! Shut up and deal!

by Anonymousreply 906/13/2013

It's true that it's castrating...and feminizing in some ways. The skinny jeans are for boys who not only do not have any body fat, but also have a feminine/waif frame. For me, even if I lost all fat on my body, I still couldn't wear skinny jeans, because I have man-sized legs (muscular).

Add to that the overstyling of hair, eyebrow "maintenance" (which ends up looking like drag eyebrows too often), and other things like that. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 1006/13/2013

OP=fraud. Obese, 50+ caftan queen. No one would believe he's actually a 20-something.

Wow, the howling fatties on DL really, really hate fashion.

by Anonymousreply 1106/13/2013

The problem could have been the dried cat poop in your pockets.

by Anonymousreply 1206/13/2013

What is "damnage?"

by Anonymousreply 1306/13/2013

I never said I was a 20-something, R11. But I'm not a 50+ either.

by Anonymousreply 1406/13/2013

[quote]Next up: Female sluttish fashion.

Oh, we can't wait.

Please keep us regularly posted on your important thoughts about fashion and gender roles as they come to you.

by Anonymousreply 1506/13/2013

20 years ago OP complained about big shoulder pads creating aggressive women and Hammer pants advertising mythical African American girthiness in the crotchetal region.

by Anonymousreply 1606/13/2013

[quote]Thankfully I'm highly self-observant

Yeah, that's one way to put it ...

by Anonymousreply 1706/13/2013

These kids and their boo jee woo jee musics!

by Anonymousreply 1806/13/2013

Are you a gurrrl Or are you a booooy

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2013

On further reading, I'd like to take back my assertion that OP is an obese, 50+ caftan queen. That was hasty of me.

She is clearly a dead ringer for Barbara Bush at her heaviest, and posting from the bed of her fundie Pentecostal rest home.

by Anonymousreply 2106/14/2013

A lot of complex misery, anger and blame in that post, R20. And not much awareness of current fashion -- women today rarely dress like men the way they did in the 80s and 90s.

Your mommy and granny paid a great deal of attention to you and you clearly miss it. Sorry that the rest of womanhood is not following their example.

by Anonymousreply 2206/14/2013

Skinny jeans or tight clothing are always demasculating for men. They just don't look right on dudes.

by Anonymousreply 2306/14/2013

How about long hair on men? Sandals? Kilts? Purses?

Some of you are too uptight.

by Anonymousreply 2406/14/2013

You've got your mother in a whirl 'cause she's not sure if you're a boy or a girl...

by Anonymousreply 2506/14/2013

"It was then that I discovered that I had to actually TRAIN myself to literally WALK like a man again."

After I re-fashioned my ex-husband's genitals he had the very same complaint.

by Anonymousreply 2606/14/2013

Long hair on men is fine. It can be very masculine. Sandals are fine. Purses are NOT fine if you want to be a man. If you don't want to be a man, then, go for it...I've got nothing against transvestites/transsexuals.

by Anonymousreply 2706/14/2013

Slim fit jeans flatter the ass and basket, and give a sense of the body underneath. If OP wants to get around in a potato-sack, let him, but he's a monumental dimwit if he thinks slim jeans emasculate men. Even if they did, so fucking what? Are all the ills of the world caused by people not respecting olde worlde gender norms enough, OP? Do you get all flustered and upset when girls aren't demure enough? Asshat.

by Anonymousreply 2806/14/2013

Manly fit.

by Anonymousreply 2906/14/2013

They apparently also cause intermittent caps-lock problems.

by Anonymousreply 3006/14/2013

Be nice to OP. Who knew Thierry Mugler still had $18 ?

by Anonymousreply 3106/14/2013

These are all great fitting slim jeans. Not supper skinny jeans, just fitted and contours the male physique.

by Anonymousreply 3206/14/2013

I'm not saying manbags are all the rage or murses but lots of techie mostly straight men have manbags these days to carry their ipad or w/e.

by Anonymousreply 3306/14/2013

A thread about men's fashion has to have a lengthy tome about women?

Many of the men's pieces - trousers especially but extending to shirts and jackets - are uncomfortable and inimical to both the male body's comfort and conventional notions of maleness. The former is bad - it's not to be silly that I say that with my build many pants hurt my balls and force a weird tucking of my cock. To hell with that. And the cuts are not really feminine - it's just that the same bad designs are being used for women and men.

Shirts are less emphatic but the play with traditionally female shapes and neck-cuts seem more like experimentation gone wrong.

For many of us, continuing to rely on traditional menswear, focusing on quality and keeping colors and patterns fresh, seems the best approach. But you have to aim at better menswear sources to maintain it.

by Anonymousreply 3406/14/2013

OP, honey, you'd walk like a woman in a BOILERSUIT.

by Anonymousreply 3506/14/2013

Men don't wear skinny jeans today.

by Anonymousreply 3606/14/2013

R7. I was sure you were going to link to a clip of Nathan Lane walking like John Wayne!

by Anonymousreply 3706/14/2013

Well, I do R36, but I'm clearly atypical. 60+ casual biker, I use the mildly stretchy Levi jeggings in lieu of bike tights, which would have the neighbors tittering here in Red State America. The stretch allows older gentlemen with moderately sized thighs to pedal away comfortably in actual Levis, not spandex. I am able to walk perfectly normally, BTW.

OP is some sort of weird pervert or something.

by Anonymousreply 3806/14/2013

Skinny Jeans will continue to get tighter and tighter and end up here at some point.

by Anonymousreply 3906/14/2013

R20 sounds like a frau! Go make me a sandwich bitch and wash my skinny jeans.

by Anonymousreply 4006/14/2013

r33, yes, some straight dudes have murses, but those are almost always the type of dudes I am NOT attracted to. They are definitely not gonna be Alpha Male athletic type guys carrying murses.

by Anonymousreply 4106/14/2013

Patrick Posted On 21st November 2012:

My legs are to strong for skinny jeans. For me, skinny jeans are a sign of weakness. The age limit shows it. Skinny jeans seperate the boys from the men´s.

Jhines Posted On 11th January 2013:

I propose this rule of thumb: if your hands can’t go around your thigh, you shouldn’t wear skinny jeans.

by Anonymousreply 4206/14/2013

Yes, too-skinny jeans are not attractive. They are restrictive. You feel better when they are off. There was a dress fashion around the time of the Titantic that was physically restrictive (I forget what it was called), we're not there yet with skinny jeans, but it could be edging towards that

"Female sluttish fashion. Sluttish attire isn't feminine, it's aggressive, pushy - designed to intimidate. They do it for the feeling of power it gives them over susceptible men"

"Sluttish fashion" was NOT designed to intimidate. It is all about being submissive. People seem to forget when this mandatory 'ho/slut look started, but it was part of the backlash against women and feminism. It was decided in the 80s and 90s that women could not be intelligent, independent and free and along with all of the Republican-paid books against feminism, and the right-wing media articles and preachers against women/feminism there was the wave of slut/ho fashion. Madonna and Spice Girls were a part of that, too - then it got worse and worse and worse. And now apparently people cannot remember a time before that, and some misguided types try to defend it. The "slut" "fashion" is anti-women, and the women are wearing it to conform (and most of the time that is the only stuff that is in the stores) and now they are being attacked for wearing what they are pushed to wear. (PS: Most of them wear it to CONFORM, and/or because it is the CHEAPEST thing in the store)

by Anonymousreply 4306/14/2013

I happen to be at the height of teen fashion. You people don't shit.

by Anonymousreply 4406/14/2013

That's right, I said you people don't shit.

by Anonymousreply 4506/14/2013

OP is a poor oppressed hetero looking for sympathy in the wrong place. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 4606/14/2013

Horsehit. Skinny jeans look good on any may with good legs, butt and body must as tight 501 jeans did and do.

Ditto women.

In both cases (men and women, skinny jeans and 501s) you just have to have the body for them.

by Anonymousreply 4706/14/2013

I have seen tit display, in thin, "distressed" jersey t-shirts, used in the office space as a means of making men uncomfortable. The passive aggressive "I can't believe they look at my tits!" is relished by promotion or attention-seeking women, though many women are sick of this kind of wordless aggression and manipulation. So unprofessional, even on Fridays, and it is definitely TV-influenced ho mind control that seems to be most effective on the minds of po' white trash on a diet. The only man who ever looked cool in skinny jeans was Joey Ramone. One reason I don't mind aging is young men look so incredibly broken psychologically, so lame in their infantilized lil' hipster outfits

by Anonymousreply 4806/14/2013

I'm wiping away tears reading your comments r48 So much pain and confusion, you poor dear.

by Anonymousreply 4906/14/2013

R48, you have real problems, address them! Skinny jeans are not the real enemy here.

by Anonymousreply 5006/14/2013

[quote]A woman's dedication to her husband and children is no longer good enough so she must dump her kids with some pervert and/or abuser in order to live up to society's expectation that she compete with men.

What the fuck are you talking about? Oh, and does the husband have any responsibility to the children or is that the wifes role?

by Anonymousreply 5106/14/2013

The husband's duty, first and foremost, is to provide and protect.

by Anonymousreply 5206/14/2013

r52 is typing from 1891.

by Anonymousreply 5306/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!