Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did Robert Downey Jr. earn his success or was he just lucky?

Starring in the Iron Man movie series, starring in the Sherlock Holmes series...being nominated for an Oscar...or two(?) I've seen him in some interviews, and he comes off as kind of likeable and interesting but was this OVERWHELMING success due to his own talent and hard work or just luck?

by Anonymousreply 4706/15/2013

Having Hollywood connections really does open doors for young actors and certainly had that, but he was also a talented young actor. He was great in Less than zero.

by Anonymousreply 106/13/2013

He's actually pretty fortunate to have the kind of career he's enjoying as of late. For a long period, he was on the fringes of Hollywood with his frequent arrests and bouts with drugs. I think he was considered unemployable for a time. Can't remember what it was, but some film role not too many years ago put him back on top (maybe it was the Iron Man series?).

by Anonymousreply 206/13/2013

He made the Singing Detective in '03 when Gibson put up his insurance bond. After the he was the lead in Gothika in '04, which wasn't a huge success but I think convinced people he was "bankable" or at least usable again.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Zodiac helped him as well.

by Anonymousreply 406/13/2013

Talent mixed with likability.

In an industry full of smug assholes, never underestimate the power of an actual great personality. Anyone who's worked with him, from directors to lowly studio PAs have swung praise about Downey's charisma and charm.

People hire people they want to be around on a daily basis. It only makes sense that likable people get breaks from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 506/13/2013

He's talented, but he has a TINY range.

Also: that ass has seen more action on casting couches than the Pacific Theater did in World War II.

by Anonymousreply 606/13/2013

What did his dad do besides drugs with his kid when he was 9 years old?

by Anonymousreply 806/13/2013

R7, no we don't all know what that means. What does that mean exactly?

by Anonymousreply 906/13/2013

Downey is not a member of the tribe. Mother is gentle. Father comes from a mixed, partly Jewish marriage. That makes him as Jewish as Matt Lauer and Bill Maher.

by Anonymousreply 1006/13/2013

His career was over and he was deliberately sought out for Ironman. A respected former A-list star for cheap. Before his drug problems he never would have considered the role.

He's sober and grateful now.

by Anonymousreply 1206/13/2013

Luck is a big part of any career. If Iron Man had not done good business, there would be no sherlock or career revival.

by Anonymousreply 1306/13/2013

He was up all night to get lucky.

by Anonymousreply 1506/13/2013

He's a talented guy who I appreciate more and more as he ages. He's not only become much more physically attractive, but seems to have grown professionally in his craft.

by Anonymousreply 1606/13/2013

"sober"? LOL!

by Anonymousreply 1806/13/2013

He's Jewish too? WTF is going on??

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2013

R19, He's 1/4 Jewish, having only one Jewish Grandparent.

R7, Please be so kind as to stop making anti-semitic statements on DL.

by Anonymousreply 2006/13/2013

R14, WTF is with you? I'm not anyone from above posters, but it is an open secret that being Jewish definitely helps in Hollywood. Majority of the wealth in Hollywood comes from Jews. If you don't have the background and are not friends with some of them, it's unlikely you will get a breakthrough. In my undergrad (of media studies) I had this professor who clearly said if you are Jewish and a white male, it's much easier for you in Hollywood, the rest of us, colored people with African or Asian heritage will have to work incredibly hard and ally with Jewish mindset and priorities to get opportunities. And I didn't go to a random school. One of the top 10.

by Anonymousreply 2106/13/2013

R21, I'm Jewish and look very Midwestern, with fair skin, light eyes, blond hair. I was told from Day-1 in the entertainment industry to change my last name and hide my identity. I've experienced constant anti-semitism from those that hire, and you would not believe the slurs that I still hear on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 2206/14/2013

Go see Spielberg or Weinstein brothers.

by Anonymousreply 2306/14/2013

He was great in Scanner Darkly but the whole cast was pretty perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2406/14/2013

Sorry R22 but I think it helps...I don't know who the fuck you work for? Mel Gibson?

by Anonymousreply 2506/14/2013

R25, No I would never work for Mel Gibson. I've worked with many different people in Hollywood. Sadly some Jews are also very self-loathing, and totally dis other Jews, especially if they're not wealthy or successful.

On the other hand, there is an assumption of shared cultural values and a strong work ethic among some Jews. Education and knowledge are prized.

by Anonymousreply 2706/14/2013

R26, You are incorrectly assuming that all Jews support each other.

by Anonymousreply 2806/14/2013

R5 has GOT to be a publicist.

Downey had talent. He's very lucky to have the career that he has now. His major roles of late hardly require much in the way of talent.

He is obviously not sober, and he does sometimes appear to be a smug asshole during his promotional tours.

Lucky? Very. He was scraped out of the gutter and ended up in some unchallenging yet popular super-hero roles.

Talented? At one time.

Likeable? Maybe from a distance.

Smug and very pleased with himself? Abundantly so.

by Anonymousreply 2906/14/2013

I remember before the whole "drug thing" that he was definitely on track to be an Oscar winning actor someday. It wasn't if, it was when. He was adored by critics and Hollywood alike.

by Anonymousreply 3006/14/2013

I'm 100% Jewish, light hair, light grey eyes. And I love him. He looks so much like my dead cousin and even acts like him too. My cousin was the most charming person in the world, I imagine that RDJ is probably the same way - hence the likability factor and the career restart. Likability & charm are big no matter where you work.

by Anonymousreply 3106/14/2013

R22 where do you work, Dachau? Because I can't believe in 2013 America, you experience "constant anti-semitism" and slurs, unless you have a very liberal definition of what constitutes anti-semitism.

Could you provide some examples? I haven't heard comments like that ever in my work life, so I can't imagine how on earth they apparently constantly come up in your presence.

by Anonymousreply 3206/14/2013

Honestly, I'm fascinated by Jews. I'd never met one until I was 16, and over the next 40 years, have probably known several dozen, a couple dozen well, among them a few of my closest friends for many years. Now I'm from a pretty non-Jew, solidly Catholic, formerly well segregated area, so naturally I was intrigued with people who had this immediate and current history, and whom the people I knew disparaged so freely. But what I loved was the network - like 0-1 degrees of separation, and everyone knew where to buy anything or where to get a job. Ok blah blah. The point I wanted to make was that while I have known some who were thorough scumbags, some that were saints, a multitude of dorks, and some of the highest maintenance, ulcer inducing women ever, I have NEVER known a Jew who I thought was stupid. What's up with that really? They have to be out there somewhere, but I haven't seen them.

by Anonymousreply 3306/14/2013

R30 [quote]I wonder if some actors pretend to be Jewish just so they can get their careers started.[/quote]

Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 3406/14/2013

R33, I don't want to derail this thread but I assure you that I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I've learned to never use my ethnic sounding last name. Most of the places I've lived admittedly avoid renting to Jews. I've been subjected to Ku Klux Klan-style rants from coworkers in places of employment, especially when the owners or any of the clients were Jewish. In fact I have never worked in a place where employers, including major law firms and high-end corporations, cared about verbal abuse of any kind. The answer was always, "So why do you want to work here?"

R33, You're very lucky if you haven't encountered such prejudice. Yes, it would have been worse if I were Black or Hispanic; I've seen horrendous examples and am thus very sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3506/14/2013

Insufferably smug, dishonest, mean-spirited and completely hollow inside.

His inevitable OD death will not leave me sad. He's ruined his talent with constant self-referential hipster bullshit. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 3606/14/2013

Sucking dick got him pretty far.

by Anonymousreply 3706/14/2013

He knew high calibre people in HW from an early age. His dad was friends with Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty. He is also very talented, very experienced as an actor and he got lucky with landing the Iron Man role. He has a beautiful face and is very charismatic. The only thing that worked against his success was his drug addiction.

by Anonymousreply 3806/14/2013

r34 interesting comments and thank you. I am Jewish and from what I understand, genetically Jews are like 5 cousins away from each other.

But I imagine that's the same with all ethnic groups of people, Latinos, blacks, English (especially), German, Italian, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3906/14/2013

R34, To survive economically in the face of continual prejudice, Jews learned that they had to be better educated. Reading, discussion and continuous learning are paramount. Music and art appreciation are also considered important. This indoctrination of values starts when the Jewish child is very young. No one wants to pair up with a stupid man. There is far less importance placed on one's looks compared to the standards of the rest of Western culture.

by Anonymousreply 4006/14/2013

In my opinion, I mean from my point of view, the Jews and the gays own Hollywood, lock, stock and barrel.

by Anonymousreply 4106/14/2013

Not everyone believes that, R37. I find him to be charming, self-deprecating and grateful that he didn't totally fuck up his life. I love watching him on screen.

by Anonymousreply 4206/14/2013

If Jews constituted a minority in the business, they might be expected to give preference on the basis of religion as all minorities do. But when Jews are not discriminated against, religion ceases to be a factor. The only influence I see is the depiction of ordinary-looking Jewish men having beautiful blonde gentile wives. All girlfriends in movies, on the other hand, are brunette and either Jewish or some other ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 4306/14/2013

I used to think he was a good actor but, take away the costumes and settings, is there any discernible difference between Stark and Holmes?

by Anonymousreply 4406/14/2013

[quote]If you are Jewish and have connections in hollywood, you will become very successful.

That's ridiculous. It's a cutthroat business, not a country club.

by Anonymousreply 4506/15/2013

48 going on 60

Hilarious story though... no wonder the kid cried.

by Anonymousreply 4606/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.