Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What did you/didn't you like about Phantom of the Opera?

What I liked: Phantom, who was an awesome character.

What I didn't like: Emmy Rossum, oh god she's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2013

I liked how they only used the term "angel of music" about 1,000 times instead of 1,010.

I didn't like how I had heard such breathtaking descriptions of the chandelier falling, and then when it happened it was a total nonevent.

by Anonymousreply 106/13/2013

I didn't like Phantom. The music is pure synth-addled cheese.

by Anonymousreply 206/14/2013

Is this about the movie or the Broadway show or both?

For the show: I thought the chandelier falling sideways was stupid and unscary; I disliked all of the Phantom's songs and that stupid "Masquerade" song; and I thought Raoul was a two-dimnesional character. I liked the opera pastiches; "Think of Me"; "Wishing You Were Somehow here Again"; "Prima Donna" (my favorite number in the show); and "All I Ask of You" (though it's a Puccini rip-off).

The movie: I disliked almost everything in it. I hated Gerard Butler and his pseudo-rock yowling; I hated the ugly busy sets; the unnecessarily vulgar staging (like the guy in the flies mooning Minnie Driver from above). I thought Emmy Rossum was okay. I liked patrick Wilson although again his part was nothing.

by Anonymousreply 306/14/2013

I was stupid of them to do a number from it on the Tony's for the sake of advertising. I feel like most tourists who come to NYC see it because it's been running so long that they figure it must be good. It's not until they actually see the show that they realize how dated it really is.

by Anonymousreply 406/14/2013

It didn't make any sense. I had no idea what was going on. It would have been more relevant if they had set it in a sports arena or something.

by Anonymousreply 506/14/2013

liked: Patrick Wilson

didn't like: the fact that he didn't show his magnificent man ass

by Anonymousreply 706/14/2013

[quote]vogue-ing club kid in the "Masquerade" scene).

I thought of "Vogue" too when I first watched the movie. haha

I don't like how in the movie they made the Phantom a hunk. His mask came off as a fashion accessory rather than a way to hide his deformity, which, when finally revealed, was not that bad; it just looked like had had a bad sunburn.

The Phantom should be an old (he's like in his fifties in the book), badly disfigured, hideous villain. By making him attractive, it makes him even more sympathetic than the stage show made him and it offsets the balance, tipping it in his favor instead of Raoul, who should really be the hero. But the musical and movie don't do him any favors. On stage he's bland, and in the movie they uglied up Patrick Wilson with a really bad wig. I couldn't believe how hideous he looked in the film.

by Anonymousreply 806/14/2013

I liked the blue water. The deep blue water.

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!