Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Marco Rubio: 'I'm Done If Immigration Bill Includes LGBT Couples'

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) made another threat on Thursday to walk away from his own comprehensive immigration reform bill, this time over an amendment to provide the same immigration benefits to LGBT couples as heterosexual ones.

"If this bill has something in it that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill. I'm done," Rubio said on the Andrea Tantaros Show. "I'm off it, and I've said that repeatedly. I don't think that's going to happen and it shouldn't happen. This is already a difficult enough issue as it is."

It's likely not a reason to worry about the bill because a potential vote on such an amendment would almost certainly fail. An amendment from Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) would allow same-sex married couples to petition for green cards for foreign-born spouses in the same way heterosexual married couples can, which currently is banned because of the Defense of Marriage Act. The status quo means many same-sex couples are either forced to live apart or to leave the country to be together, but could be rectified if the Supreme Court overturns the DOMA.

Rubio has repeatedly said he opposes adding LGBT provisions to the immigration bill he drafted with the so-called "gang of eight." His fellow Republican members of the group are similarly opposed and insist it would be a poison pill to the immigration reform legislation.

"If you're going to load it up with social issues, that is the best way to derail it, in my view," Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in January.

Democrats seem to be taking Republicans at their word, and even if the amendment comes up for a vote, most advocates have resigned themselves to the likelihood it will fail. Leahy even withdrew the amendment from a vote during the Judiciary Committee hearing in May, at the urging of Democrats in the gang of eight.

Rubio has also said he would vote against his bill if border security provisions are not strengthened.

by Miareply 2506/20/2013

bump

by Miareply 106/13/2013

They dont want the bill to pass in any shape or form because they know it will be death for them election time. They are using the LGBT issue as their escape pod, and as a back-up, they have the border security issue.

by Miareply 206/13/2013

Yes, Ruby-0, what's good for some people shouldn't be good for others...let's pick and choose what people should have certain rights.

by Miareply 306/13/2013

Now I'll never be president.

by Miareply 406/13/2013

I can't believe people assume so much superiority over others that they think they can just deny them basic human rights. Especially mediocrities like him.

It's so short-sighted. In a few years time this guy will be a complete dinosaur. There will be no way back from this.

by Miareply 506/13/2013

Marco Rubio is no friend of our community. He also said he would vote against ENDA.

by Miareply 606/14/2013

"Think Progress caught up with Senator Marco Rubio today in an elevator at the opening luncheon of the annual Faith and Freedom Forum and asked him about the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).

Said Rubio:

"I haven’t read the legislation. By and large I think all Americans should be protected but I’m not for any special protections based on orientation."

It was the second fail on LGBT civil rights for Rubio in 24 hours.

Earlier, he said he's finished with the immigration bill if it includes gay couples:

"If this bill has something in it that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill. I'm done," Rubio said Thursday during an interview on the Andrea Tantaros Show. "I'm off it, and I've said that repeatedly. I don't think that's going to happen and it shouldn't happen. This is already a difficult enough issue as it is.""

by Miareply 706/14/2013

Bye bitch!!!

by Miareply 806/14/2013

So, would Marco Rubio be considered a sociopath? Do you think?

by Miareply 906/14/2013

Marco Rubio is nothing more than a filthy refugee. Back to Havana on your banana boat and take that Ricky Ricardo with you! ASYLUM DENIED!

by Miareply 1006/14/2013

So every other minority should benefit from the immigration bill but a natural born American citizen who happens to be gay should have no right and/or path for an unmarried partner of foreign descent? Even though entire families of foreign descent who have immigrated illegally will be offered a path to citizenship for their entire family?

This guy is an idiot. I hope the Democratic sponsors of the bill go for it.

by Miareply 1106/14/2013

What a horrible statement. That's really all I can say about it other than imagine the man behind such a statement. I find it profoundly depressing that this man in an elected representative of the US Senate. If he is a father (I have no idea) I feel very sorry for his children. I know there are other Repubs like him, but every now and then these trolls come out with the most astounding statements to remind us how backward many of those running the Federal gov't are.

by Miareply 1206/14/2013

[quote]"I'm off it

Yup.

by Miareply 1306/14/2013

"Marco Rubio: I'm a Bloated Fucktard"

by Miareply 1406/14/2013

He's a pasty-faced jerk who's losing his hair. He's lucky if he gets reelected to the Senate.

by Miareply 1506/14/2013

[quote]"I haven’t read the legislation. By and large I think all Americans should be protected but I’m not for any special protections based on orientation."

It's amazing how little members of Congress know about topics that are being discussed across the nation.

Aaron Schock has such a busy life that he's never given a single thought to same-sex marriage. These comments from Rubio make me wonder if he's also in a Congressional closet shared by Schock and Lindsey Graham.

by Miareply 1606/14/2013

There's something so smarmy, self-serving, and asshole-ish about Marco Rubio. He just leaves me cold every time I see him on tv.

And of course, he's dead-wrong on the LGBT immigration issue.

by Miareply 1706/14/2013

[quote] Marco Rubio: 'I'm Done If Immigration Bill Includes LGBT Couples'

Bye you pissy little biggotted bitch. Pack up your toys and go home

by Miareply 1806/14/2013

[quote]These comments from Rubio make me wonder if he's also in a Congressional closet shared by Schock and Lindsey Graham.

He certainly pings in the video clip.

by Miareply 1906/15/2013

Dear God, why does Rubio give a bloody hell????

by Miareply 2006/15/2013

Those of you who figuratively suckled on his mantain and swallowed his self-made load now know what you did wrong.

by Miareply 2106/15/2013

Hopefully the little creep will never live down the water bottle incident!

by Miareply 2206/15/2013

This is another one of their distraction ploys. They play the gay card so Americans won't look too closely at the bill. Or the gay issue will make them forget what's already in the bill. If this legislation passes, it will be the end of the white collar American workforce. That's what they don't want us talking about. Instead, they try to deflect attention away from the very harmful and destructive pieces in this bill.

Don't fall for the gay card. Don't let them engage you on their terms. Fight this bill. It cannot pass. Don't fall for that bullshit that we've got to make compromises to get what we want. We don't want to compromise Americans' ability to earn a decent wage and to lie a decent life. And this bill all but ensures our impending destruction.

by Miareply 2306/18/2013

[quote]"Marco Rubio: I'm a Bloated Fucktard"

This is perfect.

by Miareply 2406/18/2013

Tea Bagger Allen West is thinking of running in the 2016 GOP Primary against Marco Rubio. Apparently Rubio is not conservative enough for the tea baggers.

by Miareply 2506/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.