Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Census: White Americans' Deaths Outnumber Births for First Time Ever

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Here's some surprising news coming out of the Census Bureau today: For the first time ever more white people died in the United States than were born last year.

This natural decrease in the white population has never happened before in American history. Even through the Great Depression and various U.S. wars, there's never been such drop-off among non-Hispanic whites. According to census numbers, there was a decrease of 12,400 people out of the 198 million non-Hispanic whites in the country last year. That figure is based purely on a straightforward calculation of births minus deaths. While it's true that the percentage of the drop is relatively small, demographers are nonetheless surprised. The Washington Post explains why:

The decline in the non-Hispanic white population has happened more quickly than demographers with the Census Bureau have been predicting. That’s because births and immigration levels, which can counter the drop, have slowed more than expected in recent years, said Jennifer Ortman, a Census Bureau demographer in the bureau’s population projections division.

Census demographers expect the growth rate for non-Hispanic whites to resume rising — slowly — when the economy improves. The number for whites should peak in 2024, when the oldest baby boomers, who are overwhelmingly non-Hispanic whites, are well into their 70s and dying in larger numbers.

None of the other racial groups experienced this natural decrease, so why is the population of white Americans on the decline? It seems that there are a number of factors that have been occurring in recent years. As the Post notes, whites are by far the oldest racial group—with a median age of 42, compared to just under 32 for African Americans and under 28 for Hispanics. Secondly, white women are more likely to be childless than other racial or ethnic groups—not to mention that college-educated women of all races have been delaying marriage and motherhood for years. And lastly, the recession's woes have caused many couples to become more reluctant to have children.

And let's not forget that last year, for the first time, census figures showed that a majority of the babies being born in the U.S. were minorities. The future of America is here, one demographer pretty much told the Post. "We’re jumping the gun on a long, slow decline of our white population, which is going to characterize this century," William Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution, told the paper. "It’s a bookend from the last century, when whites helped us grow. Now it’s minorities who are going to make the contributions to our economic and population growth over the next 50 years."

The Census Bureau has projected that such significant drops will happen with regularity by 2025.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 7206/14/2013

I guess the Duggars are going to have to work a little harder to repopulate.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 206/13/2013

Other than the fact that it happened faster than was predicted, none of this should be news. We have all known for years that the day whites became a minority was going to happen sooner rather than later.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 306/13/2013

This was already going to happen anyway, is it big deal?

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 406/13/2013

It's all lies!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 506/13/2013

There are still nearly 200 million non-Hispanic whites, and millions more white Hispanics out of just over 300 million Americans. Black birthrates are barely above replacement themselves. The only people driving US population growth are Hispanics (of all races) and now Asians. But it's going to be a while before whites are a minority in this country, and honestly, I'm not sure it'll ever happen as I'm sure some people will "become white" just as the Irish and Italians did. Meh. I really don't care either way.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 606/13/2013

"White" is a meaningless term anyway. We're all just one species of great ape originating in the Great Rift Valley of Africa that hasn't been around long enough yet to even have subspecies.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 806/13/2013

[quote]"White" is a meaningless term anyway.

This reminds me of what a dermatologist said on TV years ago, which is that Caucasians being labeled the "white race" is a weird societal affectation when in reality they are in fact brown -- but the "lightest shade of brown a human being can possibly be." She even took out a white crayon as a way of demonstrating how obvious it should be to anyone that there is no such thing as a "white" person.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 906/13/2013

This will enrage the racists (i.e. conservative republicans) even more than a little Mexican kid singing the national anthem.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1006/13/2013

Then there's no such thing as a black person either r9. Although I'm not sure how any of that is relevant. People are just using those words as distinctions for shades of differences that their eyes do recognize.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1106/13/2013

Notice they said "non-Hispanic white." The Hispanic whites are still keeping us in sunscreen and baby showers.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1206/13/2013

Indeed, as a whole the country is becoming WHITER every year because the Hispanics are overwhelming the others with their numbers.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1306/13/2013

ABC Radio reports this morning said 49.5% of the population are minorities. The largest group of newcomers are Asian.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1406/13/2013

Anyone who doesn't understand that Hispanics here are mainly white has never been south of the border.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1506/13/2013

"White Hispanics"

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1706/13/2013

Look out, R16! Obama's coming for you guns! And Michelle wants to feed your kids broccoli!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1806/13/2013

"Brown" hispanics are a combination of Native American and European.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 1906/13/2013

I'm a Chu Chu Girl from Chu-Chin-Chow, and how! And how! And how!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2006/13/2013

[quote]"White" is a meaningless term anyway.

Go spend some real time in Rwanda or India and get back to us.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2106/13/2013

[quote]Go spend some real time in Rwanda or India and get back to us.

Indians are Caucasian, if that's what you consider "white".

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2306/13/2013

Why does this article omitt the part about the figure being balanced out by the number of white immigrants who come into the country? The Post mentioned this.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2406/13/2013

R23 Wouldn't Indians be considered Asians? The country is in Asia after all. But there is a grain of truth to what R21 said. The stratification of class is hardcore in India, and the color of your skin is major factor in that.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2506/13/2013

I don't think this matters, this was inevitable anyways, eventually in a couple of centuries most humans will be a shade of brown because of interracial couples anyways. It's a good thing.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2606/13/2013

I'm not sure that the caste system has anything to do with skin color. I believe it's the family you are born into that determines caste.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2706/13/2013

Sucks to be white.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2806/13/2013

his is why the GOP will keep losing. It's only going to get worse for them over the next generation.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 2906/13/2013

[quote]Indians are Caucasian, if that's what you consider "white".

No, it isn't.

But if they are ""white"" then they need to give back those brownie points they get for being visible minorities in hiring, college entrance, etc.

You're probably the same muddler who insists Italians are considered black.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3006/13/2013

Does this include "off white" or "white adjacent" people like Kellan Lutz?

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3106/13/2013

Everyone else.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3206/13/2013

Asians have the highest earnings and education levels. Followed by white, then Hispanics and then Blacks. Blacks have an unemployment rate six times higher than whites. Why I am not sure. But when I look at places I would like to live they tend to be Asian or White oriented.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3306/13/2013

Thank God!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3406/13/2013

R35 must think the Duggars are Hispanic.

Racist moron.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3606/13/2013

Hispanics are the only population with birthrates above replacement. Even blacks (who supposedly all have 8 kids by 12 men) are currently below replacement levels.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3706/13/2013

R12 ,13, 15, Hispanics are not mainly white. You clearly are one of two types, the type who hasn't seen many Hispanics, or a Hispanic who desperately wants for people to think of Hispanics as white.

Some Hispanics are white, some black, some mestizo. Also, you can't go by self identifying Hispanics claiming white on the census, or have it on their birth certificate. I've seen many a black Hispanic with a birth certificate that says white. It was explained to me why this happens, but I forgot. They most certainly are NOT mostly white.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3806/13/2013

Paranoid whites are now claiming "white hispanics" as part of their group...sad.

The bottom-line: Whites just don't have as many kids as they use to, due to more white women concentrating on their careers or just choosing not have kids. Women in other minority groups are looked down on for not having kids. Also, more white women than ever are having kids with black men. And for DLers, white gay men don't have to pretend to be straight by having kids.

I have never believed blacks are only 13% of the US population. Too many neighborhoods where census takers refuse to go into black neighborhoods or blacks don't fill out the census form. Plus, blacks have a lot of kids.

As far as the "brown hispanics", it's Mexico plain and simple. No other latino group comes close to their numbers in the US or so close to the US.

After the illegal immigration bill passes, look for the Asian and middle eastern populations to skyrocket. Basically, the majority of the US will look like NYC.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 3906/13/2013

[quote]I don't think this matters, this was inevitable anyways, eventually in a couple of centuries most humans will be a shade of brown because of interracial couples anyways. It's a good thing.

This is the case NOW. We are all varying shades of brown. White people even the lightest, on close inspection are more beige than true white, and black people, even the darkest of them are upon close inspection, dark brown.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4006/13/2013

It's those fucking Canadian crossbreeds bringing down our numbers.

They hop the border to breed and raise children. Then, they come down here to buy cheap milk and cheese - dropping dead in our parking lots.

Thanks Cafucks!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4106/13/2013

r36 They are a very rare exception.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4206/13/2013

[quote]I'm a liberal as they come

Sure, keep telling yourself that.

And its not a study. Its statistics. A fact.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4406/13/2013

R44, Having worked for the Census, I've seen numerous managers falsify huge numbers of statistics. It's a total fraud and a complete waste of money. Still anyone can see that the per centage of White Americans is decreasing.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4506/13/2013

I dunno.....I'm kind of a pinkish color.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4606/13/2013

Based on all the media reports lately, I blame this trend on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). I mean, let's face it: Hiding your weapons in the crib of a newborn is like asking to be executed when you bend down to kiss the baby good night.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4706/13/2013

I am a cockazoid

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4806/14/2013

[quote]That's scary. I'm a liberal as they come but this is still thankfully a white country and needs to stay that way. i hope this study is wrong.

No it isn't. No, you aren't. No, it isn't. No, it doesn't. No, it is not.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 4906/14/2013

Something terribly wrong with these numbers. Somehow they have completely misplaced millions of people. Also, none of the baby boomers has reached age 70 yet and, far from dying in large numbers, they are planning to live forever.

Back to the books boys.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5006/14/2013

Yay! My death panels are working!

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5106/14/2013

Hispanics are actually another form of Asian, like the Native Americans.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5206/14/2013

No they aren't.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5306/14/2013

The only thing that could make this story more depressing would be a rise in midget births. Let's face it, Caucasian cultures brought about 90% of the revolutionary changes after 1200AD. If the only contribution a race makes to society is the ability to procreate rapidly we are doomed.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5406/14/2013

R54, humanity can get along quite well without us, don't kid yourself.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5506/14/2013

I think what we will see is a shift in the definition of what is "white" to include light skinned Brazilian looking Hispanics and most Asians into the fold, like what happened with Irish and Italian immigrants.

You can actually already see it happening with Hispanics. Look at Shakira, Christina Aguilera, or Sofia Vergara. They aren't seen as "other" at all. Asians have already tried it. I learned in a race theory class about a Japanese man who sued the American government back in the 60's I think to be classified as white because he argued that his skin was whiter than any white man's. He was denied and, federally, the definition of "whiteness" was changed again.

I think if it were just blacks, whites, Asians, and Hispanics in the fold, Asians and white Hispanics (yes there are such a thing. Their racial history and present is EXTREMELY problematic when it comes to the treatment of Hispanics with African origins and darker skin) would easily be classified as "white" with what is "white" eventually changing to anything that is not black, since a racist society will always need an "other" to judge itself against.

I think Indian and Middle Eastern immigrants complicate those matters more. And I wonder if they'll all start infighting in their race to whiteness that will be going on for the next few generations.

I think this whole thing with the USA becoming a majority minority country is just the US reaping what was sewn, point blank. This was a country that was built on free slave labor because the "great" white men who stole it were too lazy to do the work themselves. This IS a country that exists on cheap illegal immigrant labor by the Latinos here, and outsources cheap labor to other countries that create the goods we sell.

The bill had to come due at some point, and this is the price.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5606/14/2013

R56, the problem with this is, Hispanics are so mixed, that white Hispanics and black Hispanics are in the same immediate family a lot of the time. How about we just stop the bullshit.

People tend to view "others" as separate, and less than, but doing that based on race is a relatively new concept.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5706/14/2013

You can skew numbers to mean anything. Fuzzy math. White people run the planet. And when they no longer do, the mankind is doomed.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5806/14/2013

What stopped the planet from doom before whites splashed out all over the place,R58? Do enlighten us.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 5906/14/2013

A friend from Morocco with dark skin who was applying for citizenship learned that Immigration considers people from people from North Africa to be White. This includes Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Sudan, and Tunisia.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6006/14/2013

What is the definition of 'white-adjacent'. I'm amusing Persians, and white Hispanics.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6106/14/2013

I have traveled all over the planet. Look not at the numbers by race but by who runs the country and who owns the wealth. It seems to be the darker you are the lower on the scale of wealth and power. Even in majority minority countries this seems to be true.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6206/14/2013

Persians seems darker to me than Turks and Central Asians, even Afghans.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6306/14/2013

Arabs are white people too.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6406/14/2013

R61, the terms "white adjacent" and "off white" were coined here on DL to describes guys like Kellan Lutz and Ben Barnes whose skin coloring is not exactly white.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6506/14/2013

I recently met a man who was born in Iran. He looked vaguely Hispanic. His daughter had very fair skin with dark brown hair and blue eyes, like his wife. Are they both really considered White? I also know people who are at least 1/4 Native American who look like their Irish parents. How do we classify them and does it make a difference if one of their parents is White and the other not?

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6606/14/2013

It is an interesting question as to whether Hispanics, Asians, etc, will continue to get benefits due to their "minority" status once they are no longer the minority. If I had to guess, I'd say new language will be introduced so that non-white are still able to get benefits in hiring, affirmative action, etc. "Minority" will be phased out in favor of "Member of non-white oppressed group" or something similar. Believe me, they're not going to suddenly allow whites to treat them as the majority.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6706/14/2013

[quote] Arabs are white people too.

Um, no. All of the Arabs I've ever seen have olive skin. That ain't white.

Signed, REAL White person of English, Scottish, Irish, French & German heritage.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 6806/14/2013

R68 is typing with a red, then purple face due to heaving, hairy bosomed rage.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 7006/14/2013

Is R68 one of those posters who belong at stormfront?

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 7106/14/2013

Don't worry. All of us who adopted Asians are raising them as white.

by 2013 Poll Trollreply 7206/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!