Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When and why did it become so popular?

William F. Buckley might have been a bigot, but at least he was an eloquent one.

by Anonymousreply 1906/17/2013

It has always been popular in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 106/13/2013

The Reagan years.

by Anonymousreply 206/13/2013

OP, I refer you to Richard Hofstadter's book, "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life," published in about 1963. (It won the Pulitzer Prize.)

by Anonymousreply 306/13/2013

Live in San Francisco for a year or so and you'll completely understand. Insufferable, pseudo intellectuals.

by Anonymousreply 406/13/2013

[quote]OP, I refer you to Richard Hofstadter's book, "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life," published in about 1963. (It won the Pulitzer Prize.)

And I will refer you to his "The Paranoid Style in American Politics" to show that we have always had tinhats.

by Anonymousreply 506/13/2013

Its been something that has been brewing for a while. During the Cold War there were frequent attempts to link intellectualism to Communism. Nixon and Reagan did their part. But it really seems to hit high gear during the W years and the after burners fired up when Sarah Palin came onto the scene. With her we have someone who not only openly despises intellectualism, but is actually proud of her sub par intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 606/13/2013

Yes, the US has always had an anti-intellectual streak. It's broadened and become more socially, publicly acceptable to be an idiot in recent decades.

For that, look to Ronald Reagan. His relentlessly sunny ignorance was embraced by a Watergate/Vietnam-weary America. He married stupid neo-cons to ignorant jesus-cons. Their hot monkey love produced the modern Republican Party in all its self-glorifying idiocy.

It's worth noting that our most revered Founders were intelligent, educated men who respected the Enlightenment and progress. These modern morons who think their flat-Earthing of American intellectual and social life is "getting back to what the Founders intended" don't actually know anything about the Founders. Even the less well-known and least formally educated Founders read, discussed and understood the enormous social and political forces they were engaging. They respected the power and complexity of the ideas and the actions they were contemplating.

They were intellectuals and proud of it. We built this nation on the foundation of their towering, spectacular intellect.

So fuck Ronald Reagan and all who sailed with him. Fuck them right in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 706/13/2013

Here,here, R7 ! GWB & Cheney ought to be publicly flogged for what they've done to this country. I've always felt Palin's karmic debt would be repaid publicly as we'll!?

by Anonymousreply 806/16/2013

It is the culture of the South - family clans, fundamentalist Christianity, and tradition all take precedence over almost nonexistent intellectual pursuit.

Nixon uncorked and empowered that cultural mess in the late 60s and the Republican party has been capitalizing on it since. Tea Baggers are the inevitable result.

by Anonymousreply 906/16/2013

The tin-foil crazy has been around for a long long time. But the groundswell of power within the GOP of the Scooby Dumb's is due to the truly incredible messaging skills of President Reagan. Fuck taxes and the cold war - the real reason the righties revere him so is his ability to lie on camera was absolutely peerless.

by Anonymousreply 1006/16/2013

One could choose facts, or one could choose gimlets.

by Anonymousreply 1106/16/2013

Adlai Stevenson was unabashedly derided for being an "egghead" when he ran against the "real man" Eisenhower in 1952 and again in '56.

by Anonymousreply 1206/16/2013

Didn't Buckley say he would rather have government come from people randomly selected from the phone book than from the halls of Harvard and Yale?

by Anonymousreply 1306/17/2013

The funny thing is you lot fancy yourselves as intellectuals!

by Anonymousreply 1406/17/2013

Anti-Intellectualism is the new American way!

Witness Reality TV and Rap Music.

by Anonymousreply 1506/17/2013

We're still the only country I know of that had a political party actually called the "Know Nothings."

by Anonymousreply 1606/17/2013

The survivability of all organized religion depends on Anti-Intellectualism.

by Anonymousreply 1706/17/2013

I blame reality shows for the surge of anti-intellectualism right now.

Let's face it, you cannot complain about the stupidity of Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin and be an advocate for any piece of shit Andy Cohen throws up on Bravo. If you do, you are the hypocrite to end all hypocrites.

Gone are the days of Cole Porter, Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward. When even gay people become classless and stupid, the intelligent world is in a heap of trouble.

by Anonymousreply 1806/17/2013

I think the 1 percent drive this by making documentaries and science shows primarily pay channel broadcasts, but reality TV shows free.

by Anonymousreply 1906/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!