Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gavin and Stacey- BBC TV

I am stuck at my parent's house; so, I have been watching this through iTunes. What is up with Gavin? He is thin as a rail, wears tight, skinny cut clothes, and buttons the top buttons on all of his shirts. He looks like the kid that got beat up everyday at school. Is the character really supposed to be straight? And what is up with all the other guys? Smythie clearly has sex with women, but his bromance with Gavin is so over the top and so very gay. Bryn is clearly in the closet.

Can anyone recommend other programs to download? I have one episode of "Copper" to try out.

Is there another site to download British TV shows. I would like to keep up with "The Cafe", and I liked "Vera" when it was a fill-in on out PBS station.

And, yes, I am up to date with "Call the Midwife".

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2013

OK, just finished season two, and the Gay humor has moved into the uncomfortable zone. I don't know if it is flat out homophobic, but a lot of the humor stems from the characters, and assume by extension, the audience's discomfort with homosexuality and men touching.

by Anonymousreply 106/14/2013

So, you went from believing all the male characters are gay to believing the show is homophobic.

Nothing like viewing things through a narrow lens.

by Anonymousreply 206/14/2013

US version will star Jason Ritter and Alexis Bledel this fall

by Anonymousreply 306/14/2013

I couldn't make it through one episode of Gavin and Stacey.

There's some stuff on the British section of (free) Hulu: The Take with Tom Hardy and Injustice with James Purefoy. Both are dramas though.

by Anonymousreply 406/14/2013

I just finished The IT Crowd. It had some funny moments. Very uneven.

by Anonymousreply 506/14/2013

R2, not a narrow lens at all. Just the effect of seeing basically an entire season in one day. The first season does pose more questions than answers. The second season seems to have built around, "Gee, this gay thing seems to have gotten a reaction from the audience, lets go for it!" Gavin actually becomes more uncomfortable with male-to-male contact in season two. It is out of character with the Gavin of season one.

Whatever one might think of Gavin and Stacey, the first season is pretty true and heartfelt. In the second season a bit of "The Hangover" type gay discomfort humor creeps in.

And FYI, I don't think I am terribly off. Both the main male leads did a film after G&S "Lesbian Vampyre Hunters" that is apparently very much frat boy humor, e.g. being buggered by a gay werewolf.

by Anonymousreply 606/14/2013

R5 Thanks, I will try The IT Crowd. It sounds as if it could be fun. Beats reruns of CSI, reality shows, and Spanish language TV.

by Anonymousreply 706/14/2013

The IT Crowd was done by the same guy who did Father Ted. Father Ted was funnier, but IT Crowd at least tries. I thought the episode where they went on a work outing to the theater was very funny; very Father Ted-ish.

by Anonymousreply 806/14/2013

Father Ted is another one on iTunes. I will give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.