Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why isn't more people talking about World War Z?

Oh my god, Brad Pitt is a horrible producer.

You know if it wasn't for the Vanity Fair article I read on World War Z, I would not have known about Pitt's new movie. Ya. And I think I was the only one who posted on the movie on Datalounge. It's coming to theatres soon, I think on the 24th of this month. Why isn't there more advertisements on this film. Someone on board Pitt's film is doing a horrible job at marketing the film.

by Anonymousreply 5106/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 106/13/2013

[quote]Why isn't there more advertisements on this film

Oh [italic]dear[/italic]...

by Anonymousreply 206/13/2013

Why is straight me so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 306/13/2013

I work in downtown Philly and there are plenty of advertisements for it, especially on bus stops.

by Anonymousreply 406/13/2013

I just can't get enough zombies.

by Anonymousreply 506/13/2013

I rather watch this than superman

by Anonymousreply 606/13/2013

Love the format of the book, it's what made it interesting. Apparently the film has completely abandoned that approach.

by Anonymousreply 706/13/2013

Geez, OP. Read your topic header out loud.

by Anonymousreply 906/13/2013

What's to talk about? It's Brad Pitt. There's zombies. Neither topic is especially provocative.

by Anonymousreply 1006/13/2013

What are you talking about? I've been seeing the commercials regularly for the past couple of weeks. Billboards everywhere too.

If this flops, it's because it looks like a standard apocalyptic movie. There's nothing all the compelling about it. They're lucky they at least have a pretty great title to get people wondering about it.

by Anonymousreply 1106/13/2013

"Someone on board Pitt's film is doing a horrible job at marketing the film."

I've seen lots of commercials, more's the pity.

Now in cases where movies are released with minimal or no marketing, it's because the studio is so convinced it'll bomb that they withdraw the marketing budget. If there have been advertising budget cuts they wouldn't be coming from PItt's company, but from a studio that is hanging Pitt's company out to dry.

by Anonymousreply 1206/13/2013

Pitt's ex agent/manager is the CEO of Paramount who is distributing this - so he will never hang Pitt out to dry despite so many Pitt flops.

by Anonymousreply 1306/13/2013

r7, what is the format of the book?

by Anonymousreply 1406/13/2013

I'm interested to see just how terrible the zombies look if they won't show them in any of the ads.

by Anonymousreply 1506/13/2013

Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?

by Anonymousreply 1606/13/2013

I've seen many posters at the movie theater. Is this a death&destruction, good guy trying to save his family, or something more complex?

by Anonymousreply 1806/13/2013

R14: The book is written as a series of short stories based on first hand accounts from survivors from multiple nationalities and backgrounds. The writer, Max Brooks, pulled it off really well.

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2013

They spent like 200 million on this film and it's going to bomb.

by Anonymousreply 2006/13/2013

Thanks, r7/r19. That does sound like an interesting form--it could probably have worked as a film as well. But I suppose that would mean no big starring role for Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 2106/13/2013

It would have worked much better as a faux documentary miniseries or on-going series. The Battle of Yonkers would have been epic.

by Anonymousreply 2306/14/2013

The Battle of Yonkers was one of my least favorite parts of the book. It was a monumental disaster for mankind and just left me depressed. But I know it is a big favorite among fanboys and gamers.

I much prefer the battle near the Rockies AFTER the military has figured out how to attack Z. That was uplifting.

I also prefer the stories where people use their ingenuity to outwit Z and survive. Like the downed female pilot and the computer geek in the apartment building.

But as much as I liked the book I am looking forward to a different treatment on film. The book really did not lend itself to filming.

by Anonymousreply 2406/14/2013

[quote] . . . it could probably have worked as a film as well. But I suppose that would mean no big starring role for Pitt.

And no financing for the film.

by Anonymousreply 2506/14/2013

I think people are tired of all these futuristic/sci-fi movies that focus more on CGI than actual acting or a good storyline.

by Anonymousreply 2606/14/2013

OP/George Bush, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 2706/14/2013

I know this is terrible, but I'm hoping this movie tanks like Will Smith's movie did.

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2013

[quote]They spent like 200 million on this film and it's going to bomb.

I don't think it will. It's gotten good reviews so far and you can bet the Brangelina fans will go see it.

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2013

they just isn't

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2013

The original budget was $150 million and the rewritten final section and reshoots cost $20 million so it cost $170 mil for production.

If the book had been filmed as is no one would go see it. Maybe a handful. The book is not as wide read as the very vocal fanbase makes it seem. I enjoyed the book very much but it was not a particulalry well written book. The ideas were what made it enjoyable. The original book - the Zombie Survivial Guide was actually boring after the novelty wore off early into it. But a simple conversion to screen of WWZ? It probably wouldn't have gotten financing.

I'll see the film for its excitement level.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2013

It looks like it has fast-moving zombies and I aren't interested in them.

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2013

R29, Brangeloonies make a lot of noise on the internet but that doesn't seem to translate into bums on seats.

Paramount is downplaying the cost of this, 200 million is probably right (some are saying 400). Add to that a good 100 mill marketing budget and you have yourself a bomb.

The book was great though, they totally bought the rights just for the cool title.

by Anonymousreply 3306/18/2013

R34, why are you here at DL? Fraus to the left.

by Anonymousreply 3506/18/2013

Supposedly Brad pushed Angie to go public with the double mastectomy so he'd have an angle for World War Z promotion.

by Anonymousreply 3606/18/2013

Zombies is dead to me!

by Anonymousreply 3706/18/2013

R36, LOL! Supposedly to whom?

Double mastectomies do not get the target audience into the seats. They are of no interest whatsoever to it. So the question is are you just making this up or did you really read such an inane thing somewhere and where?

by Anonymousreply 3806/18/2013

Because it will bomb.

There's a new strategy by Pitt & Paramount though (snicker snicker), if you pay $50, you get to see the movie 2 days earlier.

by Anonymousreply 3906/18/2013

The book's author, Max Brooks, was not involved at all in the movie. As someone noted, the zombies in the movie are ridiculously fast-moving. The scene in the commercial showing the zombies scaling a wall in an ant-like fashion is cartoonish. The signs are pointing toward a huge flop.

I loved the book. According to Brooks, every one of the incidents in the book was based on actual historic events (including Yonkers).

by Anonymousreply 4006/18/2013

they're busy learning grammer.

by Anonymousreply 4106/18/2013

And how did Max Brooks get published so young?

Easy, he's the son of privilege MEL BROOKS.

by Anonymousreply 4206/18/2013

OP = the Illiterate Troll

by Anonymousreply 4306/18/2013

They are calling the new WWZ the new ID:4 (Independance Day). Think ill wait till it comes out on pay-per-view.

by Anonymousreply 4406/18/2013

World World Z is "loosely" based on the book, so don't expect miracles. It's a popcorn movie...HEL-LO?

by Anonymousreply 4506/18/2013

Why "isn't" more people schooled in proper English??? What a dumb fucking country we are.

by Anonymousreply 4606/18/2013

They said the FX looks really fake, you can tell the zombies are fake.

by Anonymousreply 4706/18/2013

This ain't no disco buddy.

by Anonymousreply 4806/18/2013

Can you guys learn how to spell properlly?

by Anonymousreply 4906/18/2013

The World War Z book would have made an excellent TV series or min series.

by Anonymousreply 5006/21/2013

Weekend box office predictions? I've seen between $45 to $65 million.

by Anonymousreply 5106/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!