Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have a question for VOICE OF THE NIGHT and anyone else who has medical knowledge

Is it possible to bring someone back to life who has been cremated? What I'm taking about is taking some DNA from them from whatever object they touched days, weeks before their death and reconstructing a body from that DNA for them and making it so that their body and memory was set to the exact day of their death (or not depending on how old the DNA is).

by Anonymousreply 3807/13/2013

I am a doctor, and yes, it is possible.

by Anonymousreply 106/13/2013

It has always been possible. Look at Jesus, f'rinstance.

by Anonymousreply 206/13/2013

Why do you ask, OP?

by Anonymousreply 306/13/2013

Oh. Em. Gee.

by Anonymousreply 406/13/2013

Humanity is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 506/13/2013

OP is writing a science fiction screenplay, and he wants to do things right. He wants that authenticity, so where else would he come, but to us, here.

Go for it OP. Just remember. We get an Executive Producer credit and that banner above the title: This is a Datalounge Production. Fuck Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 606/13/2013

You are on the right track, if the DNA is within 42 days old it is easy peasy, though we left them forget how they died. More than that and they come back with poor nipple placement I am afraid.

by Anonymousreply 706/13/2013

Yes, this has been done.

by Anonymousreply 806/13/2013

Oh my, is this the kind of person who pays $18 here? This has got to be a troll. Nobody could be this dumb.

by Anonymousreply 906/13/2013

OP, Science Friday on Datalounge is actually on Fridays.

by Anonymousreply 1006/13/2013

Sorry Norman, mama's not coming home anymore and you can't "Jurassic Park" her.

by Anonymousreply 1106/13/2013

Oh, this is definitely a question for someone who's getting a medical degree at a diploma mill, bwahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 1206/13/2013

This same OP keeps posting shit about cloning someone to be "exactly the same" - he must be Norman Bates.

by Anonymousreply 1306/13/2013

It happens all the time, OP. About half the people you see on the streets are reincarnated from DNA. Didn't you know?

by Anonymousreply 1406/13/2013

The technology's not perfect but it's very close. Exciting times.

by Anonymousreply 1506/13/2013

No, OP. Heath is not coming back.

by Anonymousreply 1606/13/2013

Yes, OP. You can take your loved one's ashes to any MD and they'll clone them back to life. I don't think Obamacare will cover it, though.

by Anonymousreply 1706/13/2013

It's not really a 'medical' question - more biotechnology.

Restoring memory to the day of death is the science fiction part of OP's question. DNA can be used to recreate a genome. But scientists can't consistently restore the memory of a living person, so doing so for a dead person is a real stretch.

by Anonymousreply 1806/13/2013

R16 was Heath cremated? Because, if not, we can always clone him from a lock of his hair or some bone graft material. That would be something. To clone Heath.

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2013

Even cloning someone's genome is not at all the same as bringing them back as an adult, it just means a copy of their DNA can be reborn as a new embryo. Though there would be developmental differences and such so it still wouldn't be biologically identical.

by Anonymousreply 2006/13/2013

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as "Joker".

by Anonymousreply 2106/13/2013

All I need is a healthy ovum and I can clone my own Leonard Nimoy!

by Anonymousreply 2206/13/2013

The Heath Ledger Troll is wondering whether he should buy a napkin that Ledger once touched.

It's just not worth the money, unless he can build his own Heath.

by Anonymousreply 2306/13/2013

This is at least the fourth such thread you've posted in the past few days, OP. You are officially the freakiest troll we've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 2406/13/2013

It soon will be.

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2013

We keep telling you "no", OP, so why do you keep asking?

It might be theoretically possible to clone someone from a DNA sample, but that person would have to grow from a blastocyte to an adult, and would have different memories than the original person.

There is nothing on the horizon that would re-create the memories of the original person, for the simple reason that MEMORIES ARE NOT ENCODED IN THE DNA SAMPLE YOU KEEP ASKING ABOUT. The DNA contains a plan for growing a brain, but each brain has to acquire its own memories. There's no way to transfer memories from one brain to another outside of far-future sci fi, and while the same sci-fi might say it's possible to read memories from an intact brain, you're not talking about an intact brain, you're talking about a DNA sample.

by Anonymousreply 2606/13/2013

Op...stand before a mirror and say "Voice of the Night" 13 times. He will appear. But beware...his mind is fill of jagged shards of glass shaped like comic book characters. He'll cut ya.

by Anonymousreply 2706/13/2013

[quote]There is nothing on the horizon that would re-create the memories of the original person, for the simple reason that MEMORIES ARE NOT ENCODED IN THE DNA SAMPLE YOU KEEP ASKING ABOUT.

Then how do animals know how to hunt and mate? How does a salmon know to go to the ocean and then return to spawn? How does a bird know to fly south?

Are you sure it's just protein?

by Anonymousreply 2806/13/2013

Is OP G/R/Umpy?

by Anonymousreply 2906/13/2013

OP, please refer this question to your psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 3006/13/2013

[quote]Is OP G/R/Umpy?

It's just TTC, off her meds as usual.

by Anonymousreply 3106/13/2013

I was thinking, how cool would it be if we could clone ourselves! Yes we'd come back as tiny babies in Petrie dishes but we could raise ourselves, and be our own parents, and we could be nurturing, and supportive, and create a Gay master race. We'd be able to reproduce. I think that's what's really at the heart of OP's yearning. Even if only in their subconscious. Ya know?

by Anonymousreply 3206/13/2013

R28, memory and instinct are different things, and the OP was asking about recreating old memoires in a new brain.

Which is definitely not happening after the original brain has been cremated.

by Anonymousreply 3306/14/2013

Though I am an expert on virtually everything, I am a bit remiss on my knowledge of cloning. My husband and I, however, will soon be seeing a movie on cloning based upon a comic book, so I will update you then.

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

LMAO @R34. That was sooooo VOTN.

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

WW for R34! That was perfect!

by Anonymousreply 3607/13/2013

I saw it done on an episode of Fringe, so it must be true!

by Anonymousreply 3707/13/2013

Yes, R34 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 3807/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!