Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

This is the The End: gayest movie of the summer

Saw this last night with some friends, it was surprisingly damn funny, most I laughed at a movie in a while. Also surprisingly, tho probably not if you saw how gay Pineapple Express was, it is hilariously damn gay.

No female love interest, the whole movie is about.their love for each other and there are some hilariosly gay as hell surprises including the ending.

If can appreaciate some ridiculous humor I would check it out bitches.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1706/24/2013

No thanks.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 106/13/2013

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 206/13/2013

James Franco is over.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 306/13/2013

I saw the movie last night and it was really good - and I'm not even a James Franco fan.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 506/15/2013

[bold][italic]This Is the End[/italic] May Be the Greatest Stoner Movie Ever Made[/bold]

I don't want to freak you out, but I think Seth Rogen's new comedy of dickish manners about the Apocalypse may be one of the Great American Stoner Epics. I'm talking Harold and Kumar level, OK? Maybe even Up in Smoke level. This is the real shit, man.

It probably helps that the entire movie feels like something Rogen, co-writer Evan Goldberg, and their friends came up with while they were stoned and playing videogames. The premise is that Rogen/Goldberg regulars Jonah Hill, James Franco, Jay Baruchel, Craig Robinson and Danny McBride are all at a party at Franco's house when the Apocalypse happens. They are all playing themselves, or at least exaggerated versions of themselves. Danny is a psychotic proto-cannibal, Jay is a hipster who hates Seth's new LA pals, Jonah is preternaturally nice-but-evil, and Franco is a new-agey nutbag who loves Seth a little too much. Plus Michael Cera makes an appearance as a coke-fueled sex fiend, and Emma Watson turns out to be a ninja with an axe when the flames start rising from the Hollywood Hills.

Just based on this description, you can probably guess that this is a movie packed with improv bits. And based on who is doing the improv, you can expect a LOT of dick jokes, butt jokes, jizz jokes, drug jokes, and more dick jokes. It just so happens that I am a stoner who loves dick jokes more than anything in the world, so please forgive my rather self-serving enthusiasm for the entire endeavor. My point is, these are good dick jokes — veritable Ron Jeremies of the genre.

Plus, there is a great meta-within-meta moment where the guys get so bored waiting for help to arrive that they do all the drugs in the house and film the long-awaited sequel to Pineapple Express. I can't even tell you. Just see it.

Probably the funniest running gag in this flick is the way everybody responds to the flames, sinkholes, and giant demons roving the city of LA. The last thing anybody expects is the Biblical apocalypse. Emma thinks it's the zombie invasion, while most of our heroes think it's just a really bad earthquake combined with a bunch of wildfires. But when demons (with giant dicks, of course) start roving the streets, even Seth is forced to accept that maybe there is a God. "Wow, I mean who saw that coming?" he says at one point, shaking his head. "There's a God? And an Apocalypse? How weird is that?"

Once the friends realize that the Biblical end is nigh, they have to cope with survival — and they quickly realize that an extra bottle of water isn't going to cut it. They are going to have to do something that earns them a place in one of those light saber-esque beams of light that are sucking people up into Heaven all over the city.

Of course, there's always the other way too — because you know that some of these dudes are pretty down with Satan. And Satan's minions want to get down with them too, if you know what I mean. And this leads me to one of the most interesting aspects of this film from a "what makes good comedy" perspective. Because a lot of jokes in this movie hinge on the guys being afraid that the Apocalypse means geeky actors like them are going to get raped. Given that rape jokes in comedy have sparked some pretty intense debates of late, I will be curious to see how well these routines will go over with a mainstream audience. I would argue that they aren't sexist jokes, but they are still about rape — so consider this either a trigger warning, or an invitation to some cultural analysis of how comedy's approach to the topic is changing.

But back to safer topics: dicks and Hell. Though This Is The End does have some bits that go on for too long, overall it's a fun, dorktastic ride with the same touching "friendship is magic" message of previous Rogen/Goldberg movies like Superbad. And the ending is not only unexpected, but is pretty much the most awesome thing ever.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 606/15/2013

I love how every movie that contains characters smoking weed gets labeled a stoner comedy, this movie in no way revolves around weed, it's just a comedy.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 706/16/2013

It has some good parts, but the overall story wore thin. I kept hoping it would end.

They're all so full of themselves, even when they're poking fun at them being so full of themselves.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 806/16/2013

I loved it. How did it do at the box office?

Emma Watson was in it and despite the gay jokes Franco said he fucked Lindsey Lohan and she keep calling him Jake G he let her think it. Seth Rogan simulated peeing in his own mouth...

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 906/16/2013

It’s a fact as old as humanity itself that penises are funny. They just are. They look funny, they move funny, and the way the humans who have them treat them is often hilarious.

Case in point: The apocalyptic comedy This Is The End. Written and directed by Seth Rogen and his childhood best friend Evan Goldberg, the movie is winning wide praise for its meta take on the classic disaster movie, casting Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, and Jay Baruchel as versions of themselves living through the Biblical End of Days. (The movie starts with a party at Franco’s tricked-out modern home, featuring a cavalcade of celebrities — Michael Cera, Rihanna, Kevin Hart — all of whom die horribly in the ensuing apocalypse.) In the wake of the earthquakes, fiery sink-holes, and people being sucked into heaven by giant lights, the surviving actors hole up at Franco’s house to ride out the disaster together. And because they’re all graduates of Judd Apatow University, and because they’re all thirtysomething straight dudes, their interactions invariably turn to dick jokes. The movie’s climax involves maybe the biggest dick joke in the history of Hollywood. And, indeed, it is snorting-soda-out-of-your-nose funny.

The movie is so funny, in fact, that it was doubly disappointing — and confusing — whenever it partook in the dick joke’s troublesome cousin: the gay sex joke.

Let me be clear: By “gay sex joke,” I mean a joke whereby the punchline is any intimate contact between two men — and almost always, the men aren’t gay. These jokes tap into the anxiety many straight men have about the abject horror of sexytimes with other men, or even the hint of it. The smarter and better versions of these jokes are more about that anxiety than the possibility of gay sex that causes it, but usually, they’re just about the gay sex. And Hollywood comedies, especially of the last 30 years, are riddled with them. Before my showing of This Is The End, I watched a trailer for the Adam Sandler comedy Grown Ups 2 that climaxed with a naked Kevin James leaping into a lake and landing on a naked David Spade, followed by Spade crying in agony, “I was inside you!”

Thankfully, This Is The End is too sly and self-aware to go for anything quite that clumsy. By casting actors who’ve built their careers on Apatowian man-boy comedy as, essentially, themselves, the movie often feels like it’s about that kind of man-boy humor. It makes great sport of the self-involved egos and arrested adolescent psyches of today’s A-list comedians — see, the movie seems to be saying, they always talk like this.

What is bewildering is that when it comes to man-on-man affection, This Is The End is incredibly sweet. But when it comes to man-on-man action, it is incredibly stupid. (Warning: From here on, it’s all SPOILERS all the time.)

In the film, Rogen and Baruchel play old buddies from Canada whose friendship has been strained as Rogen’s career has taken off in L.A. while, presumably, Baruchel is left to toil in relative obscurity back in Vancouver. The movie’s story is ultimately concerned with whether this friendship can be saved, and the early scenes between the two carry a genuine, un-ironic affection. Rogen even lovingly arranges Baruchel’s favorite bro pastimes — video games, junk food, pot — on his coffee table for Baruchel’s visit, spelling out “Jay” in joints, or, as Rogen puts it, “Jay in Js!” And Baruchel is genuinely touched. It’s clear these two guys really care for each other, and, much like Superbad — Rogen and Goldberg’s first film as screenwriters — the movie celebrates the open affection between male friends as a genuine good thing.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1006/16/2013

Later, after the end of the world has started, Rogen snuggles up in his underwear next to Baruchel for the night to feel safer. When Hill promptly plops between the two old friends, he sparks an extended conversation about how to arrange their bodies for the night. In another movie, this could have devolved into a gay panic scene — I don’t want your giblets near my buns!, and so forth. Instead, it’s about how much Baruchel can’t stand being around Hill, and wants as little contact with him as possible. Rogen and Hill don’t really care where their giblets and buns end up.

Scenes like this prove that really funny sequences involving men touching other men don’t have to be about men touching other men. No one ever says “fag” or “faggot,” and no one ever recoils at the idea that they could be perceived of as gay. That is especially true of one of the most riotously profane exchanges I’ve ever seen in a Hollywood comedy, when Franco and Danny McBride get into an argument about the protocols of masturbation that ends up in a screaming match about all the different places they are going to, er, leave their deposits around the house.

That scene rides right up to the edge of homophobia, but never crosses the line, and it’s a wonder to behold. I really wish I could just leave it at that, but, alas, This Is The End also cannot help but revel in several jokes that are quite literally about gay sex.

Early in the film, McBride, who ends up as the villain (other than the Devil, I mean), makes a joke about Franco “sucking dick” while Franco is in the middle of brushing his teeth, complete with white, foamy toothpaste dribbling down his chin. It’s a cheap joke, playing off Franco’s coy am-I-gay posing over the past few years, but it’s ultimately harmless. Part of me wishes Rogen and Goldberg had actually taken it further, asking Franco to perform as if he was really gay and allowing the movie to dive into genuinely dangerous territory. But perhaps it’s for the best, since instead, they wrote a scene in which a horned demon sporting an enormous black dick crawls on top of Jonah Hill.

The implication, played for laughs, is that the demon buggers Hill, but the even more uncomfortable development is that Hill is then infected by the demon’s soul. Have anal sex, get possessed by a demon. How lovely.

The movie’s final act finds Rogen, Baruchel, and Franco on the run in the city, where they fall prey to McBride, who’s become the leader of a gang of cannibals. I do admire McBride’s fearlessness in allowing himself to be cast as an irredeemably horrible person, but I still have to take issue with the movie’s last big celeb cameo. It turns out that while amassing his roving band of cannibals, McBride captured Channing Tatum, and made Tatum his “bitch,” complete with a dog collar. To drive the point home, McBride even boasts of “sliding” himself into Tatum, and Tatum in turn clutches McBride’s leg. Reducing the studly Tatum to an S&M slave isn’t just an uproarious sight gag, either. It’s a powerful way to reinforce just how low McBride had sunk — not only is he eating human beings, but he’s forcing himself upon a male movie star!

Cards on the table: When I first saw Tatum’s face, I laughed from the sheer shock. But once that had worn off, I thought back to an earlier scene, when Emma Watson takes refuge in Franco’s home. While resting in Franco’s bedroom, she misinterprets a conversation she hears the guys have about avoiding a “rape-y” vibe with the only woman in the house. Believing herself in danger, she fights her way out of the home and takes all their supplies, chopping off Franco’s “art penis” in the process — just to underline the point. Again, I laughed — in part at the audacity of attempting a rape joke about someone from Harry Potter.But we never see Watson in the movie again. And as I left the theater, I wondered what would have happened had McBride captured her instead. Would the audience have found it anywhere near as funny to see Hermione sporting a dog collar and wiggling her ass? No. The answer to that question is a big fat no.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1106/16/2013

I've posted before about raping a male being funny while raping a female is not. Presumably Channing could defend himself and Emma could not.

I guess Channing thought it was funny. He should have told them to fuck off.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1206/24/2013

Maybe the worst movie I have ever seen. A complete waste of $14 and 2 hours.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1306/24/2013

Do we get to watch them die?

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1406/24/2013

Channing thought it was funny because it was fukcing funny, as the reviewer even points out he laughed his ass off.

It isn't that complicated. Rape jokes tend to be funnier involving men because they don't have the same history of rape against them as women.

It's the same reason jokes making fun of white being "white" can be funny while making fun of black people being "black" is often in poor taste and usually only considered okay when done by a fellow black person.

The is a real history of violence and discrimination against one group that doesn't really exist for the other group.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1506/24/2013

SO sick of Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill!

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1606/24/2013

While the movie was funny, no part of it was laugh your ass off funny that wasn't blown in the previews.

Since S/M subs are usually right where they want to be, I've got no real issue with Channing's cameo. Just thought it was stupid.

by Your gay overlord James Francoreply 1706/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!