Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Toddlers Killed More Americans Than Terrorists Did This Year

Americans hate terrorists and love our kids, right? So you might be shocked to know that preschoolers with guns have taken more lives so far this year than the single U.S. terrorist attack, which claimed four lives in Boston.

This is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but one has to wonder if the NSA’s PRISM program would have saved more lives had it been monitoring toddlers – or gun owners – rather than suspected terrorists.

11 Deaths in Five Months Where Shooter Was 3 to 6 Years Old

Listed below are the 11 gun fatalities I found where a preschooler pulled the trigger (from Jan. 1 to June 9, 2013). Starting with a list of five toddler shooting deaths The Jewish Daily Forward published in early May, I unearthed six additional cases. This tragic, unthinkable event has happened every month, like clock-work.

Jan. 10: 6-year-old playmate shoots and kills 4-year-old Trinity Ross, Kansas City, Kan.

Feb. 11: 4-year-old Joshua Johnson shoots and kills himself, Memphis, Tenn.

Feb. 24: 4-year-old Jaiden Pratt dies after shooting himself in the stomach while his father sleeps, Houston.

March 30: 4-year-old Rahquel Carr shot and killed either by 6-year-old brother or another young playmate, Miami.

April 6: Josephine Fanning, 48, shot and killed by 4-year-old boy at a barbecue, Wilson County, Tenn.

April 8: 4-year-old shoots and kills 6-year-old friend Brandon Holt, Toms River, N.J.

April 9: 3-year-old is killed after he finds a pink gun that he thinks is a toy, Greenville, S.C.

April 30: 2-year-old Caroline Sparks killed by her 5-year-old brother with his Cricket “My First Rifle” marketed to kids, Cumberland County, Ky.

May 1: 3-year-old Darrien Nez shoots himself in the face and dies after finding his grandmother’s gun, Yuma, Ariz.

May 7: 3-year-old Jadarrius Speights fatally shoots himself with his uncle’s gun, Tampa, Fla.

June 7: 4-year-old fatally shoots his father, Green Beret Justin Thomas, Prescott Valley, Ariz.

At least 10 more toddlers have shot but not killed themselves or someone else this year (see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here). In the first three cases, the shooter was only 2 years old.

I also found nine instances where children and teens 7 to 19 years old accidentally killed themselves, a family member or friend since January (see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here).

Of course, most if not all of the above deaths and injuries can be attributed to careless adult gun owners.

While this analysis focuses on children, another equally accurate headline could read: “U.S. Gun Culture Kills More Americans Than Terrorists Worldwide.”

In 2010, 13,186 people died in terrorist attacks worldwide, while 31,672 people were killed with firearms in America alone, reports CNN’s Samuel Burke.

We Need a Return to ‘Well-Regulated’ Gun Ownership

We cannot deny that guns pose a real danger to innocent American lives and especially to children. While no one is “coming to take the guns” of responsible people, we still must reach a compromise to address gun violence. I do not have all the answers, but I know as responsible citizens we have to do something.

While some people refuse to accept any limits on gun ownership, we simply do not have the right in America to circumvent personal restrictions that protect society as a whole. We can drink and we can drive, but we cannot mix the two. We have free speech, but we cannot shout “fire” in a crowded theater. We have the Fourth Amendment, but we still submit to searches of our bodies and belongings for the sake of air safety.

People who worship the Second Amendment should recognize the “well-regulated” aspect of gun ownership that the forefathers intended. Instead, we have a gun lobby that pays off senators to vote against background checks and gun culture that welcomes a 3-year-old as a lifetime NRA member. I worry for that child’s playmates.

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2013

When did the forefathers ever mention "well regulated"

by Anonymousreply 106/13/2013

R1 gives out grenades at Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 206/13/2013

Are you trolling, R1? It's right there at the beginning of the second amendment

[quote]A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

by Anonymousreply 306/13/2013

This brings a completely new meaning to the term 'Baby Boomer".

by Anonymousreply 406/13/2013

innocent people have been killed by cops more times this year than by terrorists or toddlers.

Which is one reason people should have the right to bear arms if they so choose.

by Anonymousreply 506/13/2013

Wow, even toddler testosterone kills! Seems like it's mostly boys doing the killing here ...

by Anonymousreply 606/13/2013

R5 they wouldn't be allowed to shoot cops.

by Anonymousreply 706/13/2013

"This is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but one has to wonder if the NSA’s PRISM program would have saved more lives had it been monitoring toddlers – or gun owners – rather than suspected terrorists."

It monitors everyone.

And why is she talking about prism in past-tense?

by Anonymousreply 806/13/2013

r7 of course not. But cops knowing people aren't armed is going to cause god knows what.

by Anonymousreply 906/13/2013

[quote]innocent people have been killed by cops more times this year than by terrorists or toddlers. Which is one reason people should have the right to bear arms if they so choose.

So just how many times did your mother drop you on your head as a child? Be honest.

I mean really. We have too many accidental gun deaths, so based on your brilliant logic adding more guns will reduce accidental deaths?

So putting a large filled gasoline tank in every home will reduce house fires?

Pricking a hole in every condom in America will reduce pregnancy and STD?

Cutting the brake controls of every car in America will reduce traffic fatalities?

by Anonymousreply 1006/13/2013

"We have too many accidental gun deaths, so based on your brilliant logic adding more guns will reduce accidental deaths? "

Im talking about murders.

And I'm not going to be the victim of a a cop. Cops already kill people and get away with it.If you wanna leave them to be the only citizens with guns or means to defend themselves then go right ahead.

by Anonymousreply 1106/13/2013

No it wasn't. Finish your popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 1206/13/2013

We need a combination of daycare and prison.

by Anonymousreply 1306/13/2013

[quote]And I'm not going to be the victim of a cop. Cops already kill people and get away with it.

And having a gun is going to protect you against killing a cop? Honey, you're a freaking mental case and/or a libertarian.

by Anonymousreply 1406/13/2013

The necks snap so easily, and one stomp shuts them up.

I do not understand why the gun nuts and fear mongers just don't step off their boxes, get some shock treatments, and deal with toddlers the guns the way we Missourians have for 170 years.

It's why we always have replacement kids. Because 40% are just bad from the start. Most of us ARE from Tennessee and Kentucky, you know.

by Anonymousreply 1506/13/2013

You're either with us, or you're with the toddlers.

by Anonymousreply 1606/13/2013

The toddlers hate us for our freedom.

by Anonymousreply 1706/13/2013

Countries with low rates of gun ownership don't seem to be suffering from a tyrannical police force slaughtering the defenseless citizenry with impunity.

In fact, low rates of gun ownership mean cops are less likely to draw a weapon during an incident, resulting in fewer unnecessary deaths.

Has anyone ever done a study on the high levels of paranoia found in the US? Where does it come from and why is it so pervasive?

by Anonymousreply 1806/13/2013

I told you they were hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2013

We told you we were hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 2006/13/2013

This is absolutely true...I have a toddler and I'm quite certain he's trying to kill me.

by Anonymousreply 2106/13/2013

I believe the children are our future.

Arm them well, and let them lead the way...

by Anonymousreply 2206/13/2013

Toddlers shooting people = thinning the herd

by Anonymousreply 2306/13/2013

Nothing I'd like better than a houseful of kids and guns at Wayne's.

by Anonymousreply 2406/13/2013

They're about that life, son.

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.