Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Madonna or Cyndi Lauper - Who has done more for the GLBT community?

Only choose between one woman.

Madonna or Cyndi Lauper - Who has done more for the GLBT community?

by Anonymousreply 6301/31/2014

"Done" in what sense?

Given money? Provided hope and encouragement? Worked on legal matters? Or just made really gay music?

by Anonymousreply 106/12/2013

Hands down, Cyndi.

by Anonymousreply 206/12/2013

Well, lets look at the facts:

Cyndi has a foundation that is dedicated to gays and tries to put an end to GLBT youth homelessness.

Madonna has never had any such foundation for gays. Hell, she's never even played at a gay pride parade for that matter.

Madonna has never given a shit about gays - she just wants their money. And she didn't even discuss gays when she was married to homophobe Guy Ritchie, so what's that say about her?

by Anonymousreply 306/12/2013

I laugh at Madge these days, but I must point out that in her earlier days (before she lost her mind), she helped raise millions of dollars for AIDS-related charities. Of course, that was 20-odd years ago.

I voted for Cyndi, anyway, for the reason R3 cited.

by Anonymousreply 406/12/2013

[quote]I laugh at Madge these days, but I must point out that in her earlier days (before she lost her mind), she helped raise millions of dollars for AIDS-related charities.

What's that have to do with gay rights? Did nobody tell you that straight people get AIDS too? Raising money for AIDS is beneficial to EVERYONE because anyone - gay or straight - could get AIDS (especially people who slept around like Vadge did).

by Anonymousreply 506/12/2013

Somehow, Madonna has never made me feel like one of Jerry Lewis' crippled children.

by Anonymousreply 606/12/2013

Madona used gay men more then they took care of them.

Used them for dancers, make up, costumes and of course concert tickets. So I would not say she hates us, but really has not gone out of her way to embrace. It's always been at arms length.

Like I will show two guys kissing in the background of my video if you all go out and buy it and make me famous for it. That is about how far she has gone to be pro gay.

Cyndi seems to truly be a friend of the gay community including her work. She embraces us with honesty and clarity I just don't feel from Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 706/12/2013

Although she may not have done as much directly for the community as Cyndi Lauper, the sheer force of Madonna's fame and her gay positive attitude (going back to the 80's) has probably done far more to influence straight folks about GLBT issues.

by Anonymousreply 806/12/2013

[quote]Used them for dancers, make up, costumes and of course concert tickets.

Don't forget she stole "Voguing" from the gay clubs as well, and do you think she did anything decent like donate the sales from that single to any kind of gay charity? Nope, she just put the money in her bank account like the greedy cunt she's always been. Take, take, take and never gives back.

I've never understood why gays would like her. She's done nothing for us.

by Anonymousreply 906/12/2013

Are you serious R5?

There is no doubt when Madonna became involved in AIDS activism especially safe sex education she did so acknowledging it was not just a Gay issue.

However if you think for a minute that in the mid 1980s Madonna's very public and personal position of caring for and standing by people with AIDS was not a major contribution to the Gay community you either weren't alive in the mid 1980s or weren't paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 1006/12/2013

they have snatched lgbt 'communitys' money that's what they did the old slut never gave a... about anything but her bank account,don't kid yourself like she does with this 'womyns edumacation' or 'blacks' uses blacks for dancers and holding her shit while she yaps(how colonial of her) as for Cindy,i thought she was just some loser old slut but then heard about opening homeless centers for gay people..WOW major respect. ofcourse it never had any publicity,cause she wasn't naked doing that and who cares about the faggits anyway.old slut could have joined the initiative,but she was busy kidnapping kids and pumping formaldehyde in her face

by Anonymousreply 1106/12/2013

Does Cyndi Lauper just play dumb or is she really a little dim?

by Anonymousreply 1206/12/2013

R12 I think she has dyslexia IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 1306/12/2013

When Madonna joined anti-gay Kabbalah, she turned against the gay community and exposed her true user personality.

by Anonymousreply 1406/13/2013

In terms of all the work Madonna has done for AIDS, it should be noted that Elizabeth Taylor was the first to embrace AIDS causes.

After that it became fashionable to follow in La Liz footsteps. Even added to their celebrity.

So Madonna AIDS work was more for her image than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 1506/13/2013

Cyndi on CNN talking about her LGBT homelessness project, where her goal is that no LGBT teen is homeless.

by Anonymousreply 1606/13/2013

def Madonna.

THINK ABOUT IT YOU DOLTS.

World-wide exposure to the gay agenda.

Cyndi who?

by Anonymousreply 1706/13/2013

R17 watch the link at R16 and report back here.

by Anonymousreply 1806/13/2013

Cyndi. Not even a question.

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2013

r18, and?

We're talking about reigniting the gay revolution, and no matter what you think, Madonna did more for the gay image/agenda/rights in a decade than Lauper has done in 40 years.

Not to mention the millions Madonna has given to gay causes.

And how gay men and women were more apt to express their sexuality with Madonna's persona than Cyndi's.

And I am a fan of both.

by Anonymousreply 2006/13/2013

Look how Madonna coddles the homophobic, lone "straight" dancer Ollie in "Truth or Dare."

by Anonymousreply 2106/13/2013

[quote] We're talking about reigniting the gay revolution, and no matter what you think, Madonna did more for the gay image/agenda/rights in a decade

But that was mostly to enhance her own image.

What has she DIRECTLY done?

by Anonymousreply 2206/13/2013

This is lame. They are both allies, each had supported us in their own ways, we are lucky to have such allies. I am so proud of Queens girl Cyndi for winning a Tony!

by Anonymousreply 2306/13/2013

r22, absolutely correct, yet she has still done more for the GLBT community. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 2406/13/2013

I've taken more of their money.

... a LOT more.

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2013

[italic]GLBT[/italic]

Oh, get lost!

by Anonymousreply 2606/13/2013

In terms of Madonna, using the term "supported" is for me not correct. She definitely brought attention to the community but we were more like props than anything else. She sang and danced and wasn't afraid to be seen with us. . . while we stood around like window dressing.

What I don't remember is her giving any speeches or coming across as activist where AIDS is concerned. From my memory she got the label as being outspoken for AIDS because she was around a lot of gay people and she was a phenom that was impossible to ignore. I have no problem with anyone that can correct me on this as I realize this is just my perspective.

by Anonymousreply 2706/13/2013

Lucky, yes by far

by Anonymousreply 2806/15/2013

Full thread title - Who has done more for the ELDER GLBT community?

by Anonymousreply 2906/15/2013

I just don't buy that either one had a particular effect on mainstream attitudes toward gay rights.

So for me it comes down to their personal charitable work. And on that front, Cyndi has obviously done much more.

by Anonymousreply 3006/15/2013

Cher

by Anonymousreply 3107/06/2013

"What's that have to do with gay rights?"

Did you honestly just ask what raising money for AIDS research has to do with gay rights? You're willfully ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 3207/06/2013

Fuck, I don't believe there IS a fucking gay community. We're all cunts to each other & backstabbing bitches.

by Anonymousreply 3307/06/2013

My gay cousin is good friends with Cyndi for probably 15 years now and says she is an absolute GODDESS.

by Anonymousreply 3407/06/2013

How does your gay cousin know Cyndi?

by Anonymousreply 3507/06/2013

Queen Cyndi for sure. Vadge loves gays so much that she was married to an alleged homophobe for a number of years. Vadge mostly uses gays as props. She supports gays sure but she uses us more than she helps. Not to mention she has helped to make plenty of gays go broke with her overpriced tours that stupid gays (smart ones don't) attend yearly.

by Anonymousreply 3607/06/2013

Toni tenille

by Anonymousreply 3707/06/2013

[quote]Who has done more for the ELDER GLBT community?

Who has done everything so that the younger GLBT community could have the rights they do now?

The ELDER GLBT community.

by Anonymousreply 3807/06/2013

but let's not forget, Janet Jackson has done NOTHING!

by Anonymousreply 3907/06/2013

R39 what does Janet have to do with Vadge or Cyndi? Her name isn't in the title.

by Anonymousreply 4007/06/2013

[quote]Who has done everything so that the younger GLBT community could have the rights they do now?

The younger generation did. The elder generation was still keen on fucking in back alleys and public restrooms. The younger generation learned to work the system from the inside. Sorry, gramps, your generation did damage.

by Anonymousreply 4107/06/2013

I don't remember Madonna being an aids activist.

by Anonymousreply 4207/06/2013

Me bitches! I even mentioned the gays in one of my #1 songs! Who else has done that?

by Anonymousreply 4307/06/2013

No contest. Cyndi >>>> Vadge

by Anonymousreply 4407/09/2013

Express myself. hey Hey.

by Anonymousreply 4507/12/2013

Why didn't Cyndi Lauper sing True Colors during the Grammy commitment ceremony????

by Anonymousreply 4601/28/2014

Must one choose? Can't one love and embrace both at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 4701/28/2014

Why did you put a "T" at the end, op??

by Anonymousreply 4801/28/2014

Why would anyone vote for Madge on this one?

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2014

Cyndi had to embrace the gays. All she had was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "Time After Time."

She still performs these tunes ad nauseaum.

by Anonymousreply 5001/28/2014

[quote]World-wide exposure to the gay agenda.

Mani-pedis?

Eyebrow waxing?

Anal bleaching?

by Anonymousreply 5101/28/2014

Why is there no "Neither" option? Exploiting does not equal helping.

by Anonymousreply 5201/28/2014

This poll is repugnant. It reduces the hard work and dedication that both women have contributed in raising AIDS awareness and benefiting AIDS research to a fucking pissing contest. Why R46 chose to revive this thread to ask a question that already has its own thread is beyond me. Well, actually, I have my suspicions why.

But, anyway, those of you who insist on dismissing Madonna's contributions as negligible and mere self-promotion probably weren't even around when, at a time when most of the world was in a panic over this new disease, she held an AIDS benefit concert at Madison Square Garden and continued to speak out against the stigma and discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 5301/28/2014

You guys do know that Cyndi Lauper all but disappeared after 1987, don't you? And came back in the news only after 'nostalgia tours', along with other mouldy novelty acts like Adam Ant, A Flock of Seagulls and Yaz?

She was probably just about broke. I'm sure the gays were the last thing on her mind.

by Anonymousreply 5401/28/2014

Maybe Grandmadonna used to do shit for us, but what has she done for us LATELY?

by Anonymousreply 5501/28/2014

Madonna gave gay people a national platform. She gave gay men exposure and brought them into the mainstream.

Both women are great. Cyndi would have done more to advance gay people if her career was longer

by Anonymousreply 5601/28/2014

Lots of her former fans want to deny this, but Madonna had alot of influence on these little gay boys who watched her videos, bought her records and went to her concerts. She was so in-your-face ballsy and so overtly sexual that it was intoxicating for a generation of homosexuals who were born in a time when being gay was still viewed as having a disease (or causing disease) and a time when sex was still undergoing a revolution that started in the 70s. And her brilliant use of Hollywood pop culture in her image sealed her status as a gay icon. That enabled her to bridge the gap between generations (parents and grandparents were drawn to her just as much as their children).

Cyndi didn't have the marketing finesse that Madonna had. She was new wave-ish even if she was pure pop in disguise. If it hadn't been for the epic marketing appeal of one song (Girls Just Want To Have Fun) that fit into a new chapter of feminism, she wouldn't have been as known as she was. She would have been the kooky crazy singer with weird hair that teenage girls listened to. Madonna, meanwhile, set out to conquer all aspects of the market. The media adored Madonna more because she gave good copy for pop culture identification. Cyndi was never able to escape the bop culture. Throughout the 90s, I knew more gay men who wanted to be Madonna than they did Cyndi.

Many of Madonna's gay followers adored her from Virgin to Vogue. Something turned against her in the 2000s. She changed. The audience changed. New music came in and she has been trying desperately to maintain a youthful image, keep up or fit in with the mainstream crowd, and I think that has damaged her in the eyes of her gay fans. Most of them used to pretend they were her in the 80s-90s, derived alot of confidence from that to be themselves or like what they want and let the world be damned. But now they are either embarrassed by that youthful adoration or they are betrayed in some way by her personal and professional choices of direction in the last decade (Ritchie, inferior music, plastic surgeries, hip hop mama). Gay people who weren't around for Madonna's reign have no idea just how much influence she had and don't realize that the pop stars they adore today wouldn't be doing what they are doing if it wasn't for the road forged by Madonna, even if Beyonce, Rhianna, Katy, Gaga, Miley, Britney, et al have always credited Madonna with being one of their main sources of inspiration and continue to pay homage to this woman in their choice of artistic and professional expression.

In the bigger picture, Cyndi hasn't enjoyed that kind of canonical influence.

by Anonymousreply 5701/28/2014

R58 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 5801/30/2014

Didn't Madonna go silent regarding gay rights during her marriage to Guy Ritchie? I remember quite a few celebrities such as Bruce Springsteen speaking up in support of gay marriage before she did.

by Anonymousreply 5901/30/2014

Long ago, Madonna made me forget something very important about who I am. Luckily, Cyndi reminded me that I'm not just me, I'm an LGBTQ victim and that, if anything, I am someone to feel sorry for. Once I had accepted myself for who I am, Cyndi rescued me and reminded me of just how hopeless I am without my dear straight advocates.

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2014

Madonna did what she always did as big sister to a gay brother: she stuck up for him.

by Anonymousreply 6101/31/2014
Need more help? Click Here.