Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I still have nightmares about high school math class

I'm 47. In my dream I'm taking an adult education math class so I can get my high school diploma. Only I haven't been to class in months and haven't done any homework and am totally unprepared for class. And I keep getting lost in the hallways.

Isn't that stupid? In real life I did struggle with math class in school, but I'm a college graduate with a good career. Why does the insecurity of being bad at math still haunt me?

by Anonymousreply 2410/14/2013

It's about your anxiety of not being prepared.

You need to examine the areas in your life where you think you need to have perfection.

by Anonymousreply 106/12/2013

I have almost the exact same dream. It's a bit terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 206/12/2013

I think "the test is tomorrow and I haven't studied" dream is pretty universal. Except maybe for people who always did study.

by Anonymousreply 306/12/2013

OP, here's a video just for you. Be sure to watch the whole scene.

by Anonymousreply 406/12/2013

It's not stupid OP. I was terrible at math, and dreaded going to my math classes. Though, I'm great at English and Spelling.

by Anonymousreply 506/12/2013

They're all going to laugh at you!

by Anonymousreply 606/12/2013

I've had the same nightmare, and the nightmare that I can't get to all the tables I have in my section. Its' awful.

by Anonymousreply 706/12/2013

It's a common anxiety dream OP. I've had the same exact one and I graduated from law school and passed two bar exams. I don't think it means anything except you're worried about something.

by Anonymousreply 806/12/2013

R8 are you rich? If you are, marry me please.

by Anonymousreply 906/12/2013

My recurring dream is that I forgot to go to a class I needed to graduate all semester and didn't realize it until it was too late. I always feel so worthless and ashamed, then so relieved when I finally figure out it was just a dream.

by Anonymousreply 1006/12/2013

I have a recurring dream that I'm the age I am now, 35, and I've graduated from college but never graduated from high school. I'm back in high school to finish and trying not to let people know my real age. I have no idea what it means

by Anonymousreply 1206/12/2013

OP, yes, versions of this dream are very frequently seen. Mine involve both class work and being on stage without memorizing my lines.

But ignore R1's baseless implication about your being unhealthfully perfectionist in some areas. This is not an accurate trigger for most people. The uninformed pop analyses of some dullards do get in the way of the simple fact that we have many tension loops stuck in our heads, and usually the dreams are not associated with any immediate circumstances in our present lives. Common recurring dreams - snakes, flying, missing trains or buses, childhood homes that have more rooms than reality, being chased or menaced, having sex with a dream partner, being with puppies or kittens, playing with babies, talking with dead relatives, facing old enemies or abusers, being lost - are more and less complex in their manifestations than any pat interpretation.

Even in dreams, sometimes a cigar is only a cigar. Oh - that's another common recurring dream - ex-smokers dreaming they're lighting up.

by Anonymousreply 1306/13/2013

I've had that one too r10. Also a bunch of variations like I'm supposed to do something time critical like catch a flight but things keep preventing me from getting packed, getting to the airport etc.

For a while I was regularly having one that was disturbing at the time but kind of comical when I actually understood what was behind it. In the dream I'd realized too late that I'd forgotten to feed my dog for weeks and would find him starved. At some point my rational brain my realized the dog won't LET me forget him for a few hours let alone a few weeks and I never had that particular dream again.

They're all just common anxiety dreams, OP. Anxiety of forgetting something important or failing to measure up on some level.

Try to think about what's triggering the dream. In my case I finally realized I'd just come off of months of being the primary support system for a terminally ill parent. I'd also just seen the one and only episode of Futurama I ever watched which happened to be the one where the loyal dog stays in place waiting for his owner to return until the dog eventually dies.

Dreams are like the big blender of you subconscious mind I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1406/13/2013

My dream is slightly different - I have an exam and time to study, but am CONSTANTLY interrupted by friends, family etc, who WON'T go away...

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2013

Yep. I'm the same age as OP and I still have dreams where I'm going about my day and suddenly remember that I'm enrolled in college and haven't been going to classes for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 1606/15/2013

That is funny that you mention being a college graduate. I quit high school (I hated it) and went on to become a college graduate (twice) and I still feel guilty about not having a high school diploma. Of course the fact that my mother still thinks I'm a quitter who will never amount to anything because I didn't finish high school has something to do with it

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2013

I still have that dream too, and I was good at maths. What's the psyhology behind it? Is it just anxiety?

by Anonymousreply 1810/14/2013

I have a recurring dream in which I'm back in university, it's final exam time, and I haven't gone to classes all year.

by Anonymousreply 1910/14/2013

Meet you at Benihana after class?

by Anonymousreply 2010/14/2013

It's a pretty common dream. In my recurring dream, I'm back in college, it's the end of the semester and I haven't been to class all year, like R19.

by Anonymousreply 2110/14/2013

I still don't understand algebra but when I have a high school dream it's about being late. I was constantly late of cutting class.

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2013

I have the same dream but I'm being punished in the mens room buy this dude who had his penis operated on and now has 9 inches to torment me. He constantly says he going to shove his new penis up my ass and then he starts solving math equations on the bathroom wall. I scream and scream but he never follows through. In the end I flunk Algebra 2.

by Anonymousreply 2310/14/2013

The dream I have is that I've been forgetting to attend a class and it's halfway into the semester. I always wonder why it slipped my mind so long.

by Anonymousreply 2410/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.