Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How similar are you to your siblings?

I'm always amazed how children from the same parents can turn out so incredibly different. I have absolutely NOTHING in common with two of my three siblings, and we are more or less estranged because of it. It's kind of funny when I really think about how completely different we all are. So...how'd y'all turn out?

by Anonymousreply 4006/18/2013

I have no siblings.

by Anonymousreply 106/12/2013

I'm the foundling. the accident, the younger by thirteen years than the younger of my two siblings, "the prodigal son" and my father's namesake.

by Anonymousreply 206/12/2013

One of personal definitions of "fucked up" is when identical twins have a falling out over something and have nothing further to do with one another.

It's bizarre when your friends or dating one of them.

by Anonymousreply 306/12/2013

Not at all like them. I wonder sometimes why that is, but I suppose that's an exercise for a future time when one of us passes away and we get together with the survivors to talk about why things happened the way they happened.

by Anonymousreply 406/12/2013

Well, let's see....Pearl, Opal, Ruby and me, Cubic Zee.

by Anonymousreply 506/12/2013

There are three of us and we're exactly alike, right down to dress sense, food preferences, taste in films, books and art, politics, etc. One on one we get on fantastically well but get the three of us in the same room and it's awful and always ends in tears.

by Anonymousreply 606/12/2013

Youngest of 5 and get on just fine with all of them. We have similiar likes and dislikes, outlook and point of view. We're all still close and see each other frequently, and spend holidays together without any drama.

My oldest sister left home when I was 8, so I feel like I didn't really grow up with her. My two brothers were two years apart, had many of the same friends growing up and were always close. They were 5 and 3 years older than me. My sister came next and I followed 10 months after that. We were in different grades in school but the two of us have always been inseparable. She is my best friend and my rock. She recently got married and that's changed the dynamic a little, though neither of us have or will have kids. We're happy enough being an uncle and aunt to the brood, and are quick to point out when our siblings are spoiling and overparenting their kids.

by Anonymousreply 706/12/2013

More so than I like to admit.

by Anonymousreply 806/12/2013

I have a brother who's ten years older than I am. We have the same face (or near enough) and same build, both had asthma as kids, both have type 1 diabetes. We also both love AbFab, disco and have difficult relationships with our mother, but I'm gay and he's straight. I sort of think he's gay, too, but he's married to a woman and has children, so I wish him the best in the life he's chosen. He seems relatively happy (we share a tendency towards depression).

by Anonymousreply 906/12/2013

Last of four...gay guy here. Brother and two sisters...all quite different. I think sometimes it has to do with family fortunes and economic ups and downs over the yrs growing up.

by Anonymousreply 1006/12/2013

I have an older brother. We were very different growing up and during our 20's and 30's. But, as we both reach our mid-40's, we are more and more alike. We bond over similar values and memories. Our differences, which once defined our relationship, now seem trivial as both of our lives have calmed and settled.

by Anonymousreply 1106/12/2013

I don't think about such things because I accentuate the positive!

by Anonymousreply 1206/12/2013

Nothing like them. My sister is a crazy, bible-thumping right winger and my brother is a former log cabin republican who voted for Bush twice and is an egomaniacal douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 1306/12/2013

I'm with R12.

by Anonymousreply 1406/12/2013

I am the 3rd of 4 brothers. The oldest, M. is the only one all of us get along with. I've always hoped he might be gay but no sign of it really. The next, C. is lowlife hateful redneck piece of trash who has always resented my existence. We are at perpetual war and do not speak to each other for the most part (he doesn't live at home now). My younger brother T. and I are best buds and have always been close. Had much sex together over the years.

I should note that theese are pretend brothers since I'm an only child, but I didn't want to be left out of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 1506/12/2013

[quote]my brother is a former log cabin republican

What caused the break?

by Anonymousreply 1606/12/2013

In our family, we seem to be rather different. Half of us are rather fanatical but not fanatical about the same things. We try to over look it.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2013

nothing like them (thank goodness!)

by Anonymousreply 1806/12/2013

R16, not sure. His partner still is but my brother voted Obama both terms. His partner is very conservative. My brother wasn't so bad until he paired up with him...

by Anonymousreply 1906/12/2013

My sister is six years older than me and helped my mother raise me (my father died when I was seven and my mother had to go to work).

We're still very close. We live 1500 miles apart but still talk twice a week. She's now 63 and I'm 57.

by Anonymousreply 2006/12/2013

Shocked to discover brother not just disagreeable, but actively evil. So distressing to find this.malodorous presence immutably linked to my life. So sad that a person so nearly composed to me behaves so vilely.

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2013

My brother and I are five years apart and are very similar. Could pass for twins in photos. He is less ambitious and probably more laid back, but our general outlook, senses of humor, and mannerisms are quite alike.

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2013

Omg R21 yours sounds just like my psychopathic criminal sibling who is disliked not just by me but by ALL! Every one says how did this happen but you know what, I always KNEW from the earliest time.

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2013

We're very different in some ways and very similar in others.

I'm a loner; he wants people around all the time. I come across serious; he's a goofball. I'm pretty neutral about most things; he's a drama queen.

We have a lot of similar interests. We both were theatre geeks. We're both disorganized.

by Anonymousreply 2406/12/2013

My brother is 1.5 years older than I am. We have similar builds but our personalities are very, very different. People always remarked about how different we were when we were growing up.

We get along on the surface but don't have much in common and there isn't much depth to our relationship.

He tends to blame me for all that is wrong in his life.

by Anonymousreply 2506/12/2013

The ages come in 6 year increments.

The oldest thinks he's still an 18 year-old bully descended from mysterious Teutonic royalty. The family, his friends, and his coworkers are embarrassments and he deserves so much better. He's always angry. I preview his holiday conversations by visiting FreeRepublic (since 2009). He spouts talking points within fifteen minutes of arriving. He never hosts because his divorced-dad pad is a fucking sty.

The next oldest is a saint - ever optimistic with faith in people's innate goodness. It's great when I'm in a good mood and annoying when I'm in a bad mood.

I am a clean freak as well as a control freak - traits neither brother possess. I was a fat kid and they were thin. Everything reversed when I hit 18; they started putting on weight and I got in shape.

Sex was never discussed when our parents were alive. Now, the oldest tries to appear provocative when gossiping about other people. All I have to do is mention that I've sucked a lot of cock to shut him up.

by Anonymousreply 2606/12/2013

While I like my brother very much, we have almost nothing in common.

He's a physicist; I'm a psychologist.

He's straight and into sports; I'm neither.

He's a really nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 2706/12/2013

I have an older brother and a younger sister, each separated from me by 18 months.

Other than our parents, we have absolutely nothing in common with each other.

When we end up together due to family obligations, it's awkward because, other than polite small-talk, the silence is deafening.

It's been like this all our lives.

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2013

R27, is him being a really nice guy a difference?

R25, my brother and I used to get a lot of comments about being very different when we were growing up. But we became a little more similar with age.

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2013

R28, don't you ever ask them about their lives...don't you care?

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2013

I predict that over the course of the next fifty years my brother and I shall become more similar. He is dead.

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2013

Older brother/younger sister combo here. Not at all similar personality-wise but very similar and compatible in terms of entertainment tastes, food tastes, taste in friends etc. We get along quite well and spend a lot of time together along with my partner and my brother's gf.

I think it's because we've always been a very tiny family and he and I realized at a young age that there'd come a time when we'd be all that's left of it. We're pretty much there now as we're down to only 4 besides us. Got to look out for each other.

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2013

I come from a large family, over 10 kids, there is but 1 that I care to be around. Oh, I'll be polite, but with most of them I have nothing in common. And just about all of them drink. A lot. I don't associate with drunks, related to me or no.

by Anonymousreply 3306/12/2013

I'm the oldest of four, and beyond a few similar interests, my siblings and I are nothing alike.

My favorite brother is on probation for growing and selling weed. He's a chronic underachiever and wannabe cholo. He's incredibly naive and overly trusting, which is a terrible combination when you want to be hardcore. But at least he's not an asshole, which is hard to find in my family.

My other brother is a big Ron Paul supporter, and at the age of 21, is the smuggest person I've ever met. He is virtually emotionless, and enjoys collecting guns. As a teenager, he frequently made racist and homophobic comments. If he didn't still live with my mom (despite a 60k/year job), I'd never speak to him.

My sister is 23 and has never gone to college or had a job. She lives with my mother as well. For a while, she showed signs of becoming a good-natured fat girl, but now she's just a bitch.

None of them have gone to college or ever been in relationship, nor do I see that happening. With my college degree, liberal views, and long-term girlfriend, I'm definitely the black sheep of the family.

by Anonymousreply 3406/13/2013

My brother has a bigger dick.

by Anonymousreply 3506/13/2013

R27... and you're not nice?

by Anonymousreply 3606/13/2013

I have five brothers and one sister. Where to start? Oldest brother is ten years older. Total loser, stole from my parents and my second oldest brother. He shacked up with a woman fifteen years older than him and has been with her for at least 15 years. BTW, shes the same age as my mother. Eww!!! Next oldest brother was a homophobic ass and treated me like I was some sort of criminal, and then he came to the realization that I was the only one of seven that had succeeded in life. Now he accepts my partner and me, and even though its not perfect its probably the best of my sibling relationships. Next brother is 5 years older than me and seems to have an inner conflict with his homosexuality. He went into the military and when he got out married first girl he met, Fast forward 10 years and hes divorced and hateful, plus he seems to blame his upbringing for not being able to do anything in life. Total Loser. Next brother is gay. He was a drug dealer in his early 20s, but he seemed to get his shit together by moving 2000 miles to NYC and becoming a DJ. Hes a good guy and even though we have very little in common besides being gay, if he needed me I would totally help him out. Next is my sister, shes a piece of work, but since I am closest to her its alright. She lost a teenage son to cancer after a 7 year battle. This took a toll on her marriage and she ran off with some guy on Facebook. She left two kids behind with the husband and now shes dealing with the conflict of trying to be a mother 1000 miles away from her daughters. Sounds like a soap opera right? I am the second youngest and I don't have too many loser qualities. Never been arrested. I am not hateful or ugly to any of my siblings. I understand their course in life and I can see how our upbringing had an impact on their current states of being. Last but not least is my little brother. Hes evil. I knew it from every fight growing up. he was spoiled rotten. He would get his way with everything. Didn't finish high school and knocked up his girlfriend at the age of 15. Fast forward 17 years, he had an affair, he was mean to his wife and kids and she left him. He is about two drinks away from becoming a front page story for murdering her. Since she left him, he is lost and bitter. He has said if he ever sees her with another man he will kill her and the kids. Sad that he was so spoiled all his life. I am sure the exwife was also an enabler. Oh well. When you ask what I have in common with these people, I don't live close to any of them. I hate the dramatics of blood ties. These people would never be in life if it wasn't for us being siblings. I take that back. I love them with all my heart and that's why I understand where they are today in life.

by Anonymousreply 3706/15/2013

R37, no offense, but paragraph man! Nevertheless, an interesting read.

BTW: Your mother had her oldest child at 15? You said he ran away with a woman 15 years his senior and that she's the same age as your mom.

by Anonymousreply 3806/15/2013

I'm the oldest of five boys -- the other four are very much alike each other, but very different from me. They barely graduated high school and didn't go to college, I was a straight A student. They're really into cars, dune buggies, NASCAR and hunting, I have no interest in any of it. I love theatre, they've never been in one. They listen to country music, I can't abide most of it. etc. etc.

But they're all great guys and we get along very well.

by Anonymousreply 3906/15/2013

I tried to do paragraphs but the website was being stubborn

by Anonymousreply 4006/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.