Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Living in Hawaii

I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii but, don't want to make a mistake and wind up regretting it. I don't have a job waiting for me there, so will be unemployed until I find one. I also don't have any family or friends there.

Has anyone here ever moved there and loved it/stayed or got tired of it and wound up coming back to the mainland?

by Anonymousreply 7606/14/2013

I have never lived there, but I have a co-worker who lived there for 5 years, and she said that outside of the resorts and tourist spots, most of Hawaii is a shithole and has a big crime and drug problem. She also said it's expensive as hell.

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2013

I have a friend who recently moved to SF after living in Hawaii for a year. He said pretty much the same thing in R1's post. He doesn't miss it one bit.

by Anonymousreply 206/11/2013

My cousin lived there. I visited and just felt very closed in. It's beautiful to look at, lovely beaches, but a week was enough for me. There's no place to go because you're already there.

It's very expensive. A friend lives there and is always complaining about not having much variety in things available in the stores -- always sending me money to buy things and mail them.

by Anonymousreply 306/11/2013

Hawaii is paradise on earth. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to live there.

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2013

I have a house there. Great to visit, but could never live there. It's great in short spurts as a getaway, but once you're there long enough you see all the stuff that everyone else has pointed out above.

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2013

OP, Hope that you love humidity. Also please look at a price list of your favorite foods before going. Don't forget that almost everything but pineapple and sugar must be flown in. Perhaps you can find a "free rent exchange for work" so that your expenses aren't "through the roof" for a miniature box to live in. Don't think that there are many trailer parks in HI or tent camps of homeless living on the beach. My HI relatives are always complaining about the lack of availability of almost everything reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2013

I would urge you to take two or three weeks and see if island life suits you before making such a move. Stay out of the tourist Waikiki area and see where you would actually be living and the rental price of the area.

Drop by a grocery store, ask about the utilities you'll be paying and most importantly, get a feel for the wages you'll be offered. It is a difficult State to live in unless you have money and purpose.

Finally, Oahu is a violent island despite the tour brochures. Waianae, Nanakuli, Maile, Kalihi. These are third world areas with a very backward and very violent nature. Kahala, Kailua, Hawaii Kai, Manoa are areas you might want to consider. Hope this helps. Ask any other question if one comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2013

If you're poor, than maybe Hawaii isn't for you. I love it here, best move I ever made.

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2013

Hated Hawaii. I moved to Lahina, Maui when I was 21... Hated it, the people suck, there is nothing to do and did I mention the people suck

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2013

Maui doesn't have the hussle and bussle of Honolulu on Oahu.

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2013

Hawaii is paradise but it's not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2013

It can be like a paradise if you're rich and don't have to work. Paradise can also get old after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2013

Re 9 - The people suck ? Are you kidding ? One of the best things about Hawaii , besides the beauty, is the people, and how friendly they are. Everyone is more relaxed, and not stressed out , I know lots of people, specifically, in Lahaina, they are wonderful. Were you talking about tourists ? If so, that's a different. Tourists are always obnoxious, everywhere. But generally, I've found people on Maui, and all of Hawaii, to be the friendliest you'll find anywhere in the US.

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2013

I hear that there is a recent opening at Booz Allen Hamilton in Honolulu.

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2013

I've enjoyed my vacations there (especially on Kauai) but I think I'd be bored out of my mind if I ever tried to live there full-time. I know some folks who've tried it and the ones who seem to make it work only live there part-time (in the Winter) and they're retired so they don't have to worry about work.

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2013

Just shop at Costco

by Anonymousreply 1606/12/2013

A friend and I considered a move there when we were young. We decided against it because the islands are small, it costs a fortune to travel from island to island, housing prices are high and wages are low, etc.

There's also the fact that we're both hard workers, and we'd be surrounded by people who consider themselves to be on "Island time", and who'd be happy to let us do all the work.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2013

Hawaiians resent howlies moving there and looking for work. My friends moved there and soon left. No one would hire them and it was so expensive.

by Anonymousreply 1806/12/2013

I had a roommate who grew up in Hilo, Hawaii the big island I think it is, next to a volcano. He said the entire town smokes dope and does drugs and at night, right on the little mainstreet, it is full of Tranny's getting down. You can see this on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 1906/12/2013

It's ha'ole.

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2013

Whoever said the people are nice is lying. They are hostile and clannish/xenophobic. The place is small, boring and expensive. The biggest Island, Hawaii, does have more space but most of it is a total wasteland. You can drive for miles and it literally looks like you're on Mars because of the giant volcanos and miles of lava. And beaches? There are a few, but don't assume they're anything like the long endless beaches of Florida or California. They're tiny little strips here and there, many of them with dark sand.

I don't mean to be too hateful about it. For some, those with enough money who rarely ever go anywhere and who like constant warm humid weather, you may actually like it. But be aware of what's actually there as opposed to how a travel agency might portray it.

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2013

I have tried to live there, but have known three couple that moved to "paradise". The who lasted the longest was there four years.

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2013

It's hot, humid, and groceries are expensive -- many items three times what I pay here.

I can't imagine moving there without a job.

by Anonymousreply 2406/12/2013

[R20] Hauli you say! When you correct others at least get it right. Howlie is acceptable and often used in print. The word you meant but failed to spell correctly is HAOLI not Hauli.

by Anonymousreply 2506/12/2013

Native Hawaiians are a nasty, hostile breed. TRUST ME

by Anonymousreply 2606/12/2013

One of my best friends moved to Oahu 12 years ago and loves it. Would never live anywhere else. But there is an adjustment, from the cost of living, to the pace of life, to the fact that if you are white, you are definitely in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 2706/12/2013

I lived in Hilo for a couple of years and loved it, but I already had work, a place to live and a built-in community before I went. I also knew a number of natives, so I had no problems meeting people. The poster above is right about dope.

We grew a lot of what we ate, which makes a big difference. I didn't eat there the way I eat on the mainland. Things like milk cost a fortune, but I don't drink milk so I didn't care. I think in order to enjoy living there, you have to be willing to live like a native.

My avocation is volcanology, so I was in paradise.

I only came back because my work changed and it got harder for me to live one place and work another.

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2013

Just keep in mind that "Aloha" is just a name of an airline. The spirit of Aloha died a long time ago and stinks to the high heavens.

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2013

How expensive is Oahu? I was there in January and on a tour bus. We passed a Popeyes fried chicken place that had a poster on it displaying their "sale!": $22 for 10 pieces of chicken in a bucket (it is $10 in Louisiana).

You'd better learn how to grow your own food.

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2013

Hula"s always needs a men's room attendant. I am sure that pays well.

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2013

Judging from this thread, I'm better off staying right here in Arkansas.

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2013

We live on a gorgeous farm overlooking the Pacific near Hilo. The important thing is that we are RETIRED.

Since there is nothing going on, it is very difficult to find a job.

There are very few young or single guys, so it's mostly a couples scene.

Having said that, housing is Not expensive here because we're on the rainy side. A few days are awful, most are a mixture of sun and clouds, some days are gorgeous. Since the highs range from 79 in winter (low of 64) to highs of 83 in summer (lows of 68), we do not pay for heat or A/C - don't even have it.

Solar works really well, so electricity is free or cheap.

You buy food on sale or at Costco.

We have Home Depot and Target.

There is virtually nothing cultural ever.

The state is very Gay-friendly and has Civil Unions. Marriage will come soon.

The year-round lush beauty and flowers are wonderful.

In spite of almost universal inter-marriage among groups, including whites (ha'oles), groups socialize separately. We hang out with the other mainland transplants (mostly from CA).

SO, come with a job and partner and you're all set.

by Anonymousreply 3306/12/2013

R24, What food did you grow besides pineapple?

by Anonymousreply 3406/12/2013

People grow oranges, avocados, lettuce, tomatoes, kale, papayas, bananas, coffee, lichees, eggs, star fruit, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3506/12/2013

Isn't it overun with Japanese?

by Anonymousreply 3606/12/2013

5% unemployment rate - one of the lowest in the US. Most produce (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, bananas, etc.) are grown locally, not imported. There are several climate zones on most of the islands, including a wet and a dry side, and cooler temps in the hills. And there are the famous Trade Winds, which keep everyone cool.

Avoid the tourists. Swim, walk, jog, bicycle. Cook on your outdoor grill. Enjoy the beautiful sunsets and the pleasant evenings.

by Anonymousreply 3706/12/2013

Almost any kind of fruit grows there so it is abundant and cheap. The big island has cattle ranches so meat is good too. And probably the best fish you can get anywhere. Most of the 800 restaurants in Wiki suck. But there are a few gems. Just stay away from the tourist areas.

Rents: Rents are high, but not worse then New York or San Francisco. Real estate is very expensive.

Jobs: Everyone wants to live there so they have a low unemployment rate. Lots of people move there for a year or two so lots of seasonal jobs. I would not move there without a job lined up.

People: Some of the nicest people I have ever met. Just like anywhere, there are extremes on both sides of the spectrum. But generally friendlier they say New Yorkers.

Nature: If you dont sit in your house all day and like to get out, it is really one of the most diverse and beautiful places on the planet. California beaches are a sad comparison to Hawaii. Each beach is unique little coves, unlike the miles of boring flat sand like Florida. The water is crystal clear and so many shades of blue its striking.

Gay Life: There are a couple of clubs and social events on Oahu, but get out of town and it is pretty quite. That being said, there is a military base there right on the beach that seems to unload tone of horny guys onto Wiki Beach.

Drugs; Bitches please, like I couldn't say that about any big city. DOPE is almost legal in the states and most of it comes from the mainland. If you want to be around it, you will be, if you don't you wont.

Oh and to the guy who said the beach was black, your and idiot. The black sand beaches on the big island are a once in a life time destination for many people. In fact they ask no not take any of the sand with you because it is so rare.

by Anonymousreply 3806/12/2013

[33]: Have you had any problems being a Mainlander with your Hawaiian native neighbors?

by Anonymousreply 3906/12/2013

Hula's is the biggest gay bar there. Where else can you walk off the beach in your swimsuit, get a drink in a gay bar while overlooking a beautiful ocean with the backdrop of a volcano.

They also have a gay catamaran ride once a week with is really a lot of fun.

Just be aware, gay life is very slim there, but on the other hand, lots of gays on vacation.

There is also a gay beach there ironically called Queens Beach.

by Anonymousreply 4006/12/2013

Re 33 No. Native Hawaiians are very kind, spiritual people. They just want you to respect them, and their land. If you don't, like anyone, they may get pissed off at you. But if you let them know you love them, and their beautiful place, they will be nice, and warm, back.

by Anonymousreply 4106/12/2013

I love Hawaiian cock.

by Anonymousreply 4206/12/2013

R38, I agree with you so far as my limited experience allows. But:

[quote]Oh and to the guy who said the beach was black, your and idiot.

You should probably correct this before the petty people jump all over you.

by Anonymousreply 4306/12/2013

Agree with R41. Being respectful means you get treated respectfully.

I found Hawaiians generally to be very open-minded. It's not a place where you can expect to find NYC, SF or LA gay culture experience because it's not there. Then again, it doesn't exist many places so you have to decide how important it is to you. I'm not part of that culture and don't enjoy it, so I didn't miss it.

Among other things we grew was a plentiful supply of fine weed. One of the biggest cattle ranches in the U.S. is on the Big Island so beef was not that expensive. We caught most of our own fish and seafood so it was fresh from the ocean to our grills. Everyone had chickens and quite a few also raised pigs. The kind of things I missed included a ready supply of good baking ingredients, such as flour. I had it shipped from the Mainland a few times, but there were so many other things to do, I gradually stopped baking. Being active and spending most of my time outdoors meant that I ate a much lighter diet.

Other than that, all I know is that it costs a lot more to live on Maui and the other small islands, but they tend to be overrun with tourists so I mostly avoided them.

If Popeye's chicken plays a big part in your diet, you won't be happy with what you pay for it. I can't imagine basing my opinion about local food prices on a Popeye's sign I saw from a tour bus.

by Anonymousreply 4406/12/2013

R44, Wouldn't grilled Hawaiian style chicken or terriyaki be far more popular?

by Anonymousreply 4506/12/2013

Whoever said to shop at Costco was spot on (besides the ease of growing your own produce). Considering the premium on food prices everywhere else on the islands, I was amazed that the prices at the Costcos in Hawaii were the same as on the mainland.

by Anonymousreply 4606/12/2013

Thanks R43, can't correct typos once they are published here.

Should have said: "Oh, and to the guy who said the beach was black, you are an idiot."

by Anonymousreply 4706/12/2013

It certainly was more popular with me, R46.

Since there were chickens everywhere, we grilled and smoked our own.

by Anonymousreply 4806/12/2013

Did you hunt and kill your own chickens R48? Its not a third world country you know. Did you live on a farm?

Costco sells chicken breasts in a 12 pack for $25.... they are huge.

OP, They have every kind of restaurant from fast food to 5 star. You will not have to hunt down you food. Its still part of America after all.

by Anonymousreply 4906/12/2013

Just got back from Costa Rica - man, did it make me appreciate Hawaii. Cracked sidewalks and mangled streets, terrible traffic, fear of crime (I was warned to not carry my I-phone in my hand) is a constant, different language spoken, and most surprisingly , not that cheap - which I thought was part of the draw. Could never live there. I appreciate Hawaii even more.

by Anonymousreply 5006/13/2013

r50: once you get out of San Jose, it's pura vida!

by Anonymousreply 5106/13/2013

There are tons of hot men here straight and gay. A very large percentage of the guys are not "out". If you can hook up with one of the many "discrete" ones. You will never want to leave.

by Anonymousreply 5206/13/2013

It's the weekly "I'm moving to -----. I don't know anyone there, don't have a job lined up and I have no idea what it's like to live there" thread.

by Anonymousreply 5306/13/2013

I was out of San Jose - stayed in Escazu, supposedly the 'Beverly Hills' of San Hose, above it all. And yes, went to the beaches ( not as nice, as Hawaii, IMHO ), went to the rain forest, very pretty, but no more so than Kauai, or the Hana area, of Maui. And the humidity, so much worse than Hawaii. Sorry - I have a home on Maui, with no gate, no bars on windows, open doors, and have never had a crime problem there, or anywhere I've gone, in the islands. That's important to me . Costa Rica, like it, or not, is still a poor, 3rd world country.

by Anonymousreply 5406/13/2013

R49, many people raise chickens; they're highly domesticated. I've never heard of anybody hunting and killing chickens. That really sounds stupid and I hope you're normally brighter than that.

If you don't live in the middle of a crowded city, you can keep livestock like chickens. You can control what they eat, so they aren't fed hormones and antibiotics like the chickens you buy in stores. Our chickens ate a great diet with lots of greens and other nutritious food so their eggs were very rich.

I live in New Mexico now. Rural people here keep chickens in their yards and around their houses because snakes don't like traveling across dirt that chickens have pecked.

by Anonymousreply 5506/13/2013

How would Hawaii be for two early 30s lesbians who work remotely and like a slow paced, relaxing life, mainly spent hanging out at the beach?

by Anonymousreply 5606/13/2013

Do you kill the chickens yourself or do you take them somewhere to have them processed?

by Anonymousreply 5706/13/2013

We killed them ourselves. One of the people there grew up on a farm and he was used to it. Plucking feathers was pretty bad.

The payoff was chicken that tasted like what people used to raise on farms.

by Anonymousreply 5806/13/2013

One word: Fukushima

by Anonymousreply 5906/13/2013

You realize that there are very few actual native Hawaiians still left. They live mostly on the outlying islands, and yes, they do hate you.

by Anonymousreply 6006/13/2013

R60, I thought that many people living in HI were of mixed race, like my Japanese-American relatives. Are they more accepting of new residents?

by Anonymousreply 6106/13/2013

[quote] Did you hunt and kill your own chickens?

by Anonymousreply 6206/13/2013

Hawaii = Mexico on an island.

by Anonymousreply 6306/13/2013

There really aren't such a thing as native Hawaaians, they came from elsewhere & are of Asian extraction.

by Anonymousreply 6406/13/2013

Don't laugh, R62. After a couple of weeks in Kauai with its infestation of chickens, I wondered the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 6506/13/2013

[quote]I live in New Mexico now. Rural people here keep chickens in their yards and around their houses because snakes don't like traveling across dirt that chickens have pecked.

by Anonymousreply 6606/13/2013

R66, My uncle, who lived in Los Angeles, used to complain about a rooster crowing and waking him up too early. At least you can eat pet chickens and roosters, unlike cats and dogs.

by Anonymousreply 6706/13/2013

Asian, Pacific Islander, etc.

"Native" is relative.

by Anonymousreply 6806/13/2013

Hawaii sucks.

by Anonymousreply 6906/13/2013

Has anyone met that guy, Gilead, who used to have that Bodies in Motion exercise show? Is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 7006/13/2013

I met Gil, when I used to work in TV, in the late 80's , when his show was very popular. Nice guy, but very alpha male, and very straight. We were at a business dinner, in Honolulu, and there were a few really attractive girls who he was eyeing. Some of our group went to a (straight) club after, and I was told the same girls were there, and he left with both of them. Very good looking, and well built guy - I'd of lei-ed him anytime.

by Anonymousreply 7106/14/2013

Just saw a recent pic of Gil - he's been doing that excerise show for 30 years ! He may not be a hot stud anymore (he's 59), but he's still in great shape, and a hot daddy. And he has never married. Don't know what happened back in the 80's (re 71), but almost 60, never married, no kids = GAY

by Anonymousreply 7206/14/2013

This is why they hate whites and America.....

by Anonymousreply 7306/14/2013

Good grief! You all have some very funny ideas about Hawaii!

Let me see if I can help OP with the original question and clear up some misconceptions …

I moved here (neighbor island, not the big city of Honolulu) more than 20 years ago and have no intention of ever moving again. I've lived in nearly one dozen other countries, and, like anywhere else, Hawaii is what you make of it.

Outside of Oahu, it's mostly rural, so yes, some people might deem it a 'shithole' and yes, there are drug problems, property crime and racial tensions. But is anywhere completely free of such elements?

Yes, it can be expensive. But depending on what you need for a full life and how you manage your money, it's OK. I'm self-employed and constantly poor, but I don't measure my happiness entirely by my bank account.

It's definitely an acquired lifestyle that isn't a good fit for everyone. If you don't fit, you'll figure that out pretty quick, because Hawaii will spit you back out and we probably won't miss you much ….

by Anonymousreply 7406/14/2013

The pineapple and sugar industries collapsed a decade ago, but we still have to import about 85% of our food. That's slowly changing as more people realize almost anything will grow here.

For example, about 300 years ago the island of Hawaii had roughly the same population as now and somehow managed to feed everyone without weekly deliveries from Safeway or WalMart. Believe it or not, you can live without double mocha lattes and Nordstrom's winter sales.

Local people (and by local, I mean people whose families have lived here for generations) can be hostile toward pasty white mainland transplants, but if you approach life with a respect for the land, the culture and the history, you'll be accepted just fine.

In response to: There's also the fact that we're both hard workers, and we'd be surrounded by people who consider themselves to be on 'Island time,' and who'd be happy to let us do all the work' …

If you base any decision on people you haven't met yet, you're gonna miss out on stuff!

Yes, there is a recent opening at Booz Allen Hamilton.

And it's spelled 'ha‘ole' !!!

by Anonymousreply 7506/14/2013

The Big Island is mostly a huge wasteland. It's made up of five volcanoes, including one of the most active and fascinating on the planet. Kilauea has been spewing for more than two decades and has added more than 500 acres of brand new land. The 'dark sand' is actually lava and it's awesome!

Aloha is not 'just the name of an airline.' Aloha Airlines folded about 5 years ago. The spirit of aloha remains, but it has to find you. Not the other way round.

I can't totally vouch for it first-hand, but Hula's men's room attendant probably does pay quite well!

No, I can't imagine you'd be better off staying in Arkansas!

It is gay-friendly, but the pickings are slim if you're looking.

It's not overrun with Japanese, exactly. Much of the local population is rather complicated mix of ethnicities, including a huge Japanese influence (although, a little less so on the neighbor islands). However, if you don't make a big deal of it, it's not a big deal.

No problems with the 'Hawaiian native' neighbors. Just don't go around calling them your 'Hawaiian native' neighbors!

There are chickens EVERYWHERE. Mostly because Hurricane Iniki in 1991 or 1992 blew them all over and they just kept breeding.

Two early 30s lesbians who work remotely and like a slow paced, relaxing life, mainly spent hanging out at the beach would love it!

No real impact (yet) from Fukushima, other than the immediate tsunami and more recently some debris washing up on shores. I was more alarmed that two celebrities in L.A. (can't recall their names offhand) announced they have thyroid cancer this year.

by Anonymousreply 7606/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!