Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's the 30th anniversary of both "Madonna" and "She's So Unusual."

Two very different albums, two very different careers.

by Anonymousreply 17108/16/2013

Madonna dated a Tony. I *won* a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2013

Silly me, I thought Madonna would be a flash in the proverbial pan, and Cyndi would be the enduring superstar.

But Cyndi does have more talent and soul and 3/4 of an EGOT, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 206/11/2013

And thirty years later Madonna's 'MDNA' tour was the highest-grossing tour of 2012 and Cyndi Lauper just won a Tony For Best Score for Best Musical "Kinky Boots", the first woman to win solo in this category. Both still at the top of the heap.

by Anonymousreply 306/11/2013

So Madonna and Cyndi Lauper are different type people? Who would have conceived of such a thing in the 1980s when they seemed like identical twins.

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2013

Poor Cyndi having to share anything with her.

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2013

I think when Cyndi involved herself in professional wrestling (does anyone else remember that), her mainstream career ended and Madonna pulled way ahead of her.

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2013

loved them both. and still great albums, even the non-singles.

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2013

R6, I agree. And she waited too long for a follow-up to her first album. Madonna's second album "Like a Virgin" came out in 1984 and really skyrocketed her career, but "True Colors" didn't come out until 86. By then, with the wrestling and lack of hit songs, it almost felt like a comeback album.

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2013

Madonna may have had more success career-wise, but Cyndi has something Madonna never has and never will have - a successful family life. Cyndi and her husband have been married for 22 years and you can tell from their reality show that the two of them and their son have a happy family. Madonna on the other hand always seems miserable, can't get a man to stay with her for anything and all of her kids have different dads.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2013

[quote]all of her kids have different dads

So?

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2013

[quote]all of her kids have different dads

Oh the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2013

r9 - you sound very boring.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2013

R9, if we're going to start comparing that, then let's get in bust size, cars, money, number of dogs owned, and a million other unimportant factors. Neither is "better" - they're different, as the thread implies.

To really stay on topic, I admit that back in the day I thought Cyndi was the flash in the pan and Madonna the true artist. I was wrong on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2013

I thought they were BOTH "so unusual" and loved them both for very different reasons. I have migrated to the Cyndi camp over the years because she seems much more genuine and nice. She hasn't shown any real "crazy" on her sleeve like Madonna. And Madonna's music has sucked for awhile now while Cyndi sounds as fresh as ever.

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2013

They're both icons, but you gotta love Cyndi cause she's the salt of the earth. She didn't have nearly the career sense as Madonna but it's 30 years later and she's set to make a mint on Kinky Boots if it plays for a while.

The interview she did with Howard last year is hilarious and awesome.

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2013

I think that Madonna's insecurities are certainly much more visible than Cyndi's. There's a price to be paid for turning your album over to every latest producer and churning out digital beeps and boops while you talk about fucking and look like a grandmother - one that Cyndi thankfully avoided. Even when she did a couple of disco albums, she was still tasteful.

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2013

R12 And you sound like a Vadge stan upset at the facts.

by Anonymousreply 1706/11/2013

Fun Cyndi story - went to a concert at the Beach at Mandalay Bay, fought with my husband during Cyndi's set and stormed off to the bathroom. When I came back she had jumped off the stage and run into the crowd while singing, chased by her guards who clearly didn't know she was going to do this -

- I was told that part because what I saw was all of a sudden Cyndi Lauper came barreling at me and clock me like she was trying to make a tackle. And she literally ran right over me while charge onward. It's a great story, but it hurt like hell.

by Anonymousreply 1806/11/2013

[quote]Silly me, I thought Madonna would be a flash in the proverbial pan, and Cyndi would be the enduring superstar.

You weren't alone.

In some book I read, there was a reprint of an article from the time comparing the two. The author severely underestimated to what degree sex sells.

After so many years of overexposure, it's hard to imagine how Madonna must have been initially viewed.

In spite of her affectations and misguided attempts at acting, I have no contempt for Madonna. I like her first album, though her voice is thin, due to the catchy songs--especially Borderline, and its simple, inexpensive video.

Cyndi's first album is more of a classic, but her voice is also an acquired taste. I only regret that Cyndi's career never lived up to its initial promise. But I doubt she ever wanted the level of fame Madonna achieved.

by Anonymousreply 1906/11/2013

I recall most of the initial Madonna stuff being curiosity - she hadn't yet rolled around on the floor in her wedding dress but she was a little ethnic and a good girl who was a bad girl and all of that. The songs certainly weren't it - warmed over Blondie at best - but that boy toy shit was marketing gold that repressed teenagers in middle american towns who were never going to get a moment of glamor in their lives ate up.

And then she got slutty.

by Anonymousreply 2006/11/2013

[quote]The songs certainly weren't it - warmed over Blondie at best

I'll take your word for that. Shamefully I know little of Blondie--Heart of Glass, Call Me, etc.--but Debbie Harry always sounded so strong. What I liked about Madonna's first album was the vulnerable way she sounded, a quality she rarely reproduced later, no matter how "vulnerable" the lyrics were.

by Anonymousreply 2106/11/2013

Omg I feel old

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2013

I'd rather be Cyndi Lauper than Madonna any day.

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2013

R23 Me too. Cyndi may not have Madonna's money, but she's still got a good amount and has a happy family life. Madonna on the other hand has tons of money, yet she's still a miserable cunt who goes through men like toilet paper. Proof that money doesn't always buy happiness.

by Anonymousreply 2406/12/2013

r18, your story was unintelligible.

by Anonymousreply 2506/12/2013

Cyndi's still doing interesting, unique stuff.

Madonna is still doing what she always did - as Boy George called it, buying the sound of now. She may have a great ear for what to buy, but it's never her creation.

Madonna could sell enough music to circle the globe seventy times over, but I am still Team Cyndi.

by Anonymousreply 2606/12/2013

Contrary to popular belief, Madonna has never won an Oscar for songwriting; she's merely sung 2 songs for which the songwriters have won Oscars. Cyndi has had the better career in the long run since she's recognized as a true talent and humanitarian. Besides, Madonna might have experienced more commercial success, but Girls Just Want to Have fun is an iconic song.

by Anonymousreply 2706/12/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2013

I like "He's So Unusual/Yeah, Yeah" !

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2013

Like a virgin is an iconic song too,

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2013

I was and remain fans of both. Funny how when they first debuted a lot of people saw them as similar, at least on a superficial level. Both had tremendous, often overlapping influence on mid-80s fashion. They both favored spiky, disheveled hair, contrasting layers, dangly jewelry and arm loads of bracelets.

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2013

R25, you should see a neurologist.

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2013

Erm R27? I don't think there is a popular belief that Madonna won an Oscar in existence.

So...don't worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 3306/12/2013

ELDER--GAY THREAD ALERT!!!

by Anonymousreply 3406/12/2013

Cyndi has her iconic songs (Girls, Time After Time, True Colors) just as Madonna has her iconic songs (Holiday, Lucky Star, Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Into the Groove, Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart, Live To Tell, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue, Take A Bow, Ray of Light, Music).

by Anonymousreply 3506/12/2013

Their career trajectories have a lot to do with the culture wars (which incidentally were lost sometime in the late 90s). Madonna played along with the sex as empowerment bs while Cyndi did not.

Basically culturally, feminist values have completely deteriorated. They were co-opted by corporations that decided they could still sell sex but with a feminist empowerment angle and the teens would eat it up.

There's a huge difference in what young women look like today when they go out than what they looked like 20 years. Now they all pretty much look like whores.

by Anonymousreply 3606/12/2013

[quote]Cyndi has her iconic songs (Girls, Time After Time, True Colors)

People under 30 don't even know those songs.

by Anonymousreply 3706/12/2013

[quote]And thirty years later Madonna's 'MDNA' tour was the highest-grossing tour of 2012

What's your point? Everything else she did in 2012, sans Super Bowl, bombed. Her tour made less than the last one too. Call me when she starts selling music again -- GOOD music!

by Anonymousreply 3806/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 3906/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 4006/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 4106/12/2013

[quote]Madonna may have had more success career-wise, but Cyndi has something Madonna never has and never will have - a successful family life.

God, what a prissy comment. You sound like Mary Haines.

by Anonymousreply 4306/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 4406/12/2013

[quote] People under 30 don't even know those songs.

People under 30 have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 4506/12/2013

I'd agree that "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is much more iconic as a stand-alone song than any of Madonna's. Whether it's the rhythm, Lauper's strong delivery, the video or just all of it, it's a song that just never gets old.

by Anonymousreply 4606/12/2013

It's also the 30th anniversary of the summer of Michael Jackson. At least four of the six or seven songs he released from Thriller were all over the radio during the summer of 1983.

Purple Rain has its 30th next year.

by Anonymousreply 4706/12/2013

How can you not love her?

by Anonymousreply 4806/12/2013

Re 44 Beautiful ? Yeah, airbrushed to an inch of her life

by Anonymousreply 4906/12/2013

Cyndi sings at the Joni Mitchell tribute concert, completely reinventing the song.

Lauper has never stopped being a creative artist and her heart is always in it. I think that her "persona" at the beginning hurt her a bit for the long run, execpt that the persona was about 90% authentic, with a few wrestlers thrown in.

I saw her first at the Masonic Temple in 1983, a great venue which she blew the roof off. I was 18 and it was a hell of a party, and she sang her whole debut album, but threw in some German Cabaret and Latin numbers too. She has always been inventive, while remaining herself.

Her career may have faltered, but she has never stopped singing or expanding her talent. A real musician, a powerful voice, and an honest performer. Unusual Cyndi Lauper.

"Carey"

by Anonymousreply 5006/12/2013

There's simply no contest.

One of these women has talent. One of these women is brilliant. One of these women is honest. One of these women has her own artistic vision. One of these women is worth a damn.

It sure as hell isn't Vadge.

Madonna will never have the respect and affection given to Cyndi Lauper. Never - and with good reason. Lauper got it the old-fashioned way. She *earned* it.

by Anonymousreply 5106/12/2013

Everyone says that Cyndi is a total bitch. She was mean to little Tina Smothers from Family Ties, also she is rude to the make up artists. I love her music though.

by Anonymousreply 5206/12/2013

Madonna had a keen sense of marketing and career. Cyndi just wanted to write twee little navel-gazing ditties as therapy. Just because the gays gave Lauper an honorary Tony doesn't mean she hasn't languished as an '80's footnote for decades, right down there with Adam Ant and Nina Hagen.

by Anonymousreply 5306/12/2013

At least Lauper is human.

Madonna, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 5406/12/2013

Please, Lauper endured more than Hagen or Ant.

by Anonymousreply 5506/12/2013

r53

I have no dog in this fight, but Lauper has not been languishing. She has grown, and grown up.

It is a fact of our culture when you are no longer in the forefront, that if you get an opportunity at all to be at a mainstream event, that you will have so sing one of your old hits. I don't think I want to hear True Colors again either. Lauper is so much more than that and has carried on being a creative musician regardless of her position on the fame ladder. If you are not a fan, you would not notice.

Madonna is so hard to calibrate that people will argue about her relevance and importance to music and culture forever. Everyone must fall eventually, leaving their work and their humanity. She is lacking in one of those, but it is only my opinion.

When you are a fan of someone, you need not like everything they do or defend them in comparative ways.

Cyndi Lauper, was not twee in the "Three Penny Opera", and she is not always of the twisted mouth and heavily accented singing. She did start out in punk music you know? She has her style but has aged and grown into a thoughtful mature performer. Most true artists do.

This is after 9/11 at the John Lennon memorial concert.

"Strawberry Fields"

by Anonymousreply 5606/12/2013

I want to suck the skidmarks out of Madonna's panties.

by Anonymousreply 5706/12/2013

Madonna should have won the Oscar for EVITA, instead she lost to an incredibly hammy and one note performance that has not aged well at all and is all but forgotten today. She should have also been nominated for DANGEROUS GAME (hands down her most raw and intimate performance). Cases could also be made for supporting actress nominations for LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN and DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN. She also deserved to rack up a few nominations for the songs she has contributed to movies.

Emmy wise, there was her hilarious turn on WILL AND GRACE a few years back. She should have also been nominated for BLONDE AMBITION tour.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 5806/12/2013

For "Desperately Seeking Susan"? Really? She barely speaks and when she gets kidnapped at the end, her face has no expression.

by Anonymousreply 5906/12/2013

"Good going, stranger."

by Anonymousreply 6006/12/2013

"How many pweeple awe twying to kill you?"

by Anonymousreply 6106/12/2013

Madonnna should have won the Oscar for "Body of Evidence"! She was robbed!!!

by Anonymousreply 6206/12/2013

Cindy's "If You Go Away"

by Anonymousreply 6306/12/2013

[quote] you can tell from their reality show that the two of them and their son have a happy family.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 6406/12/2013

Yes R9, a woman NEEDS a man to be happy. We all know that.

by Anonymousreply 6506/12/2013

Cyndi is 60 years old, you know, don't you?

When she came out with Girls want to have fun, she was mocked because of her age.

by Anonymousreply 6606/12/2013

C'mon, be serious. Lauper has had a shitty career in the music business. Yes she has sold millions of albums---but she has been around 30 years to do that, it is no accomplishment.

Let's not forget, she was on Celebrity Apprentice with all the other D-listers because she needed the pay check.

by Anonymousreply 6706/12/2013

Cyndi's raw talent for singing trumps anything Madonna has done, is doing and/or will ever do. And then she's also 3/4 of the way to being an EGOT, which is a tremndous achivement for anyone in show business. The end.

by Anonymousreply 6806/12/2013

R67, that's not a shitty career, it's a steady one. It's not Madonna's career but she's had one.

by Anonymousreply 6906/12/2013

r9, how do you feel about me?

by Anonymousreply 7006/12/2013

And yet, r67, people will still be referring to Cyndi Lauper hundreds of years from now and poster 67 of this thread won't be.

by Anonymousreply 7106/12/2013

The problem with pointless bitchery, is that it really is pointless.

Make no mistake about it, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Deborah Harry, Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde all take themselves dead serious about what they do and how they do it.

They all create and sing different kinds of music and have a very different approach to communicating with an audience. They have artistic egos and temperaments and pretensions.

Madonna became all that she wanted to be I would guess. For better or worse.

Cyndi has done some uncool things to stay in the public eye, but has not sold out musically or stopped trying new things. Not only to make a hit. Kinky Boots could have been a disaster. She takes risks. Listen to her version of "Unchained Melody." You might hate it.

Do people think that Chrissie Hynde is a failure because she is not topping the charts or selling out stadiums? Maybe on DL they do. Crazy ass pointless.

The late seventies/early eighties were pretty much the last time for individual women performers to make a big mark using their own ideas and vision of how to present themselves, surrounding themselves with the creative teams they wanted.

Cyndi has done just fine even if her voice is not as clear or powerful as it once was. She takes another route to creativity. She remains authentic and strangely seems prettier. Artistic and warm, gifted and authentic. She is not a cookie though - very demanding and iconoclastic, unreasonable. She has learned to collaborate and she and Fierstein must have been a crazy match. I know her a bit...

She is a very intimate performer, wrapped up in the music and very much into her audience. She is not over rehearsed, quite instinctive and imperfect.

When she wanted to make a spectacle, she wrote a Broadway Musical.

Madonna does spectacle every time she appears. Some people like that. She has moved people on some recordings, a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 7206/12/2013

Cyndi Lauper has been a true advocate and friend of the gay community.

Madonna, on the other hand....

by Anonymousreply 7306/12/2013

I always thought it was also funny how they both released albums in 1986 that started with "True" (True Colors and True Blue).

by Anonymousreply 7406/12/2013

So do they hate each other? Do they respect each other? Is there a "history", or do they barely know each other? Has anyone ever seen them together?

Both are distinctive, unique talents. They defined their era at their peak.

by Anonymousreply 7506/12/2013

Not only that, R74, but.... blue is a color!

by Anonymousreply 7606/12/2013

Poor Cyndi. She'll always be asked about Madonna despite being far more talented. She and Christina Aguilera should start some kind of support group for singers overshadowed by slutty non-singers who sing.

by Anonymousreply 7706/12/2013

[quote]So do they hate each other? Do they respect each other? Is there a "history", or do they barely know each other? Has anyone ever seen them together?

I don't think they "hate" each other, but I don't think they really care for each other either. Anytime either is asked about the other, they'll say something short and polite but it always looks forced.

I remember Madonna calling Cyndi her "evil twin". Also in her "Sex" book, I remember a part where Madonna said she had a dream that her boyfriend fucked Cyndi and she was really pissed, and I just remember thinking it was strange why Madonna would have a dream like that.

by Anonymousreply 7806/12/2013

I also had a record that's celebrating its 30 anniversary

by Anonymousreply 7906/12/2013

R59, Madge had a dream like that because of her well-deserved insecurity. She knew what we all know, Cyndi Lauper is genuinely talented and Madonna is not. In her dreams even Madge's boyfriend desires Cyndi. She's furious and there's nothing she can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 8006/12/2013

lol, r77. True that.

This is a long clip of Cyndi, Hughie Lewis and Kim Carnes singing their solo spots on "We are the World."

MJ is there too, but he nails his vocal pretty quickly. He was wonderful once. Even though the camera is on, this is a fun look at old style recording and Cyndi's noisy jewelry and alternate takes on a single wail.

I was twenty in 1985, and wondered where was Madonna for this event? It was the largest gathering of the most popular and talented musical artists of the time. Maybe ever. I won't list the names, but y'all know.

Who was bigger than Madonna in 1985?

Someone out here knows why she wasn't there?

Kind of irrelevant, but it was kind of relevant, no?

by Anonymousreply 8106/12/2013

Correction! I have TWO albums celebrating their 30th Anniversaries. Sweet Dreams and Touch. Let us all celebrate the woman I used to be!

by Anonymousreply 8206/12/2013

R80 I think you're right - and it's not the first time Madonna has had nightmares about other singers: She said herself in an interview that she was having nightmares about Whitney Houston's songs being number 1 and being upset that she couldn't have the number one song.

She must be really insecure to be dreaming about other artists.

by Anonymousreply 8306/12/2013

[quote]It was the largest gathering of the most popular and talented musical artists of the time.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 8406/12/2013

It doesn't take a PhD in psychology to see that Madonna is an extremely insecure person; what else is at the core of her career other than grabbing as much self-validating attention as she can get? It was harder to see through when she was still youthful and sexy and "empowered," but the ruse is wearing thin as she gets older.

by Anonymousreply 8506/12/2013

r84

Well, Mr. Ackroyd, there is always a weiner like you at every event and on every thread.

Life is like art.

by Anonymousreply 8606/12/2013

No, Madonna wasn't too cool to be in We Are The World, she just wasn't asked to be there. Neither was Janet (she was the only sibling besides Rebbie not on the chorus). Now Prince, on the other hand, WAS too cool. He refused to do We Are The World, but he offered them his track "4 The Tears In Your Eyes" instead, which is on the WATW album.

by Anonymousreply 8706/12/2013

Thanks r87.

I really did want to know.

R81.

by Anonymousreply 8806/13/2013

Also, R81, they recorded We Are the World at the end of 1984 after the American Music Awards. Madonna was big with her first album at the time but Like A Virgin hadn't been released yet and that album is really what sent her into superstardom. Although she became popular after her first album, people didn't expect much from her, which is probably why she wasn't invited. Madonna became HUGE just a short time after We Are the World was recorded and her career changed forever from that point on.

by Anonymousreply 8906/13/2013

r78, I think that is what you call self-mocking humour. I didn't actually think she had a dream about Cyndi Lauper. If anything, it was a bitchy high schoolesque joke at Lauper's expense about less-than-sexy Cyndi being the object of her boyfriend's desire than he sexy self.

by Anonymousreply 9006/13/2013

R90 = Vadge stan.

Real dream or not, Vadge must have been pretty insecure to still be talking about Cyndi in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 9106/13/2013

R74 gets the Joey Luft award this year.

by Anonymousreply 9206/13/2013

I think Madonna was out performing instead of singing We Are the World. Half of those singers were unemployed at the time.

by Anonymousreply 9406/13/2013

Can't ONE of you mother fuckers mention OUR album's 30th anniversary?

by Anonymousreply 9506/13/2013

R89, WATW was recorded in earluy 85 and "Like a Virgin" had been out for a couple months by then. But it wasn't really until her sustained singles and then her summer tour and wedding to Sean Penn later that year that propelled her to the top.

by Anonymousreply 9606/13/2013

Did Madonna and Lauper ever run into one another in the NYC club scene? They had different sounds but they both must have been downtown every night. They HAD to have met.

by Anonymousreply 9706/13/2013

About five months ago, I really listened to the song Money Changes Everything -- I don't mean listen in the sense that I was looking for a message, but just turned it up and listened to it. And I couldn't stay off my feet, y'all. It was a real moment. I must have looked like a fool. What a great fucking song. Took me 30 years to figure it out but it really is an incredibly perfect pop song. I don't even think it was a single.

by Anonymousreply 9906/13/2013

R99, it's all in the past now.

by Anonymousreply 10006/13/2013

Madonna's insecurities are also the main driver of her success and ambition. A double edged sword. I imagine she talks to herself a lot.

I don't think Madonna has any contemporaries who she likes or considers friends but it's probably true among most pop stars. Some friendly and not so friendly rivalries.

by Anonymousreply 10106/13/2013

R81, that was pretty cool. I would've been shitting myself with all those people watching me sing. Huey was pretty cute too. Nobody had any ego in that clip. Pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 10206/13/2013

The hilarious bitter comments about Madge's alleged insecurity are just so... insecure!

Madge is cute at the video r98 links. So what if she was dreaming about that stuff? She's highly ambitious, of course she'd be thinking about what other female singers were up to. The fact she can be that honest publicly actually suggests that she knew she was at the top - being able to admit to a little insecurity is also indicating that she was fairly secure in her abilities (like being able to mock yourself is actually a sign that you feel confident with yourself).

Anyway, 30 years on, let's see where Madge is, where Cyndi Lauper is, where Whitney Houston is...

by Anonymousreply 10306/13/2013

Well, Whitney loses.

by Anonymousreply 10406/13/2013

[quote]Someone out here knows why she wasn't there?

'We Are The World' was recorded immediately after that year's Grammy Awards. Madonna was not there because she did not attend the Grammy ceremony (I don't think she was ever nominated until Ray of Light).

by Anonymousreply 10606/13/2013

WATW was recorded after the American Music Awards in 1985 and Madonna was in attendance that night. Her repartee with Huey Lewis was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 10706/13/2013

Would she have done WATW if asked? Do you think that snub's been informing her career ever since?

by Anonymousreply 10806/13/2013

great tracks: She's so Unusual: WHEN U WERE MINE Madonna: I KNOW IT

by Anonymousreply 11006/13/2013

Well done to you, R98.

by Anonymousreply 11106/13/2013

I think it was interesting when "Crazy for You" ended "We Are the World"s four week streak at #1...

She showed them!

by Anonymousreply 11206/13/2013

Better than ANYTHING on "Madonna"...

by Anonymousreply 11306/13/2013

Cyndi sings the same three songs (Girls, True Colors, Time after Time) over and over and over and over and over and over. Madonna has released many songs that left me cold (most of her recent stuff after Confessions), but I appreciate that she's continually releasing new music even if some of it sucks.

I think that's more worthy of respect, because, who knows? Maybe her next album (or the one after that) has amazing, awesome songs...whilst Cyndi is still singing "Time After Time" for the 384,349th time. Innovation or the attempts at innovation is more inspiring in my mind than holding onto something from the past that was good. But Cyndi will always have the better voice/face/personality. But Madonna will always be smarter than Cyndi...you will never see her on Celebrity Apprentice or WWF.

by Anonymousreply 11406/13/2013

I think "She's So Unusual" aged better than "Madonna", which sounds VERY dated now. The "Madonna" album sounds like a bunch of unfinished demos and the mixing and mastering on it is terrible, even for analog.

by Anonymousreply 11506/13/2013

R105 = young teenager who still clings to the word "delusional", as if it were new and fresh and not 25 years old. Poor little boy.

by Anonymousreply 11606/13/2013

Well said, R114. Her songs are 30 years old, her success not much more than Jodie Whatley. Her songs are so old, it is like someone at the height of disco talking about some Maguire Sisters song from WW2, that is the sheer ridiculousness of it.

If someone wants to spend $80 to hear a second-rate rag sing 30 year old songs off-key, go to it. I'll take my $400 and go see a Madonna concert ANYTIME. At least, after 30 years, Madonna is still creating and selling the goods.

by Anonymousreply 11706/13/2013

R101 lives deeply in her imaginary universe talking to invisible BFFs and drooling snot onto the short bus windows.

by Anonymousreply 11806/13/2013

R116, R117, R118 is Lourdes Ciccone.

by Anonymousreply 11906/13/2013

Cyndi showed the children how it was done tonight at the Greek Funny, smart, and voice strong as hell! What a show!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12006/14/2013

It's funny to think about who the biggest solo females of the 80s were until Madonna and Cyndi came along...from about 1980 to 83, the female hit makers were Donna Summer, Kim Carnes, Irene Cara, Juice Newton, Pat Benatar, Olivia Newton John and Laura Branigan. It was 1984 when Madonna, Cyndi and Tina really took the lead. Sadly, Donna and Laura are no longer with us, but I think Pat and Olivia are still touring some...no idea what Irene and Juice are doing.

In 85-86, Whitney arrived and trumped them all, Belinda had a good run for a few years starting in 86, and of course, Janet's Control came out in 87 and was massive.

Just wondering if Madonna ever had comments/jealously about any of them. She has lasted longer, commercially, than all of them, but I'm sure she competed on the charts at some time with most of them and was not happy when they out charted her. I have a vague memory of Belinda's second album being huge when I was in college and someone telling me a bitchy quote Madonna said about her.

by Anonymousreply 12106/14/2013

I heard at the time that Madonna was asked to do "We Are the World" but turned them down. I remember she was mocked in the press for it a bit.

by Anonymousreply 12206/14/2013

Oh please R123 I think you're taking her comments a little too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 12406/14/2013

R124 = Delusional Vadge stan who turns his head the other way whenever his elderly idol acts like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 12506/14/2013

I wonder what Madonna, a self professed Joni Mitchell fan, thinks of the fact that Joni can't stand her music or image? Granted, Joni has always been abrasive about everyone but damn, if any female musician earned the right, it's the lady of the canyon.

by Anonymousreply 12606/14/2013

[quote]Janet's Control came out in 87 and was massive.

Janet's Control came out in 1986. And, of all the women you named, Madonna has always had the biggest hard on for Janet. Their tit for tats over the years are legendary. Madonna knew Janet was prettier and more talented, and when Janet hit the scene and became wildly successful, it really boiled her blood, hence the Truth or Dare "Bite your tongue" remark.

by Anonymousreply 12706/14/2013

[quote]Contrary to popular belief, Madonna has never won an Oscar for songwriting

Honey, you don't know what "popular belief" means.

by Anonymousreply 12806/14/2013

If I never hear "Girls Just Wanna Have Run" or "Time After Time" ever again for the rest of my life, it will be just fine.

When I hear "Lucky Star," "Borderline," or especially "Burning Up," I still crank the volume and sing along. I never get tired of those songs.

by Anonymousreply 12906/14/2013

Girls just wanna have the runs lol

by Anonymousreply 13006/14/2013

R129, "Time After Time" is a better song than everything Madge has ever released put together.

Real talent matters more than your shitty taste.

by Anonymousreply 13106/14/2013

I bought Madonna’s first album after hearing her sing “Holiday” on Solid Gold.

When I bought “Like a Virgin” a year later, my then-roommate said, “Why are you wasting your time on that flash-in-the-pan?”

Having said all that, I lost interest in her shortly after “Vogue.”

I still like Cyndi.

by Anonymousreply 13206/14/2013

Madonna wanted to be a part of "We Are the World" but was shut out because she was considered a trashy flash-in-the-pan and they didn't want her. It apparently hurt her feelings. Of course, "Crazy For You" knocked WATW off of the #1 spot and Madonna has had a much longer career as a charting artist than anyone.

Really, if you look at the artists who did "We Are the World," all of whom were the biggest names in music at the time, most of their careers as charting/Top 40 radio play artists were pretty much over within 5 years, around 1990 or so. Madonna still had MANY years to go after 1990.

by Anonymousreply 13306/14/2013

A friend of mine once described Cyndi Lauper as "music for fat girls."

by Anonymousreply 13406/14/2013

Cyndi is a gay icon who has done a lot for the community, and has never abandoned it. At least she didn't stump for an anti gay religion or defend homophobic rap lyrics, saying they were art.

But right, she doesn't have a record breaking tour. How terrible.

by Anonymousreply 13506/14/2013

Cyndi does speak a bit about Madonna comparisons here in terms of fashion and image, but does so from a feminist perspective and her generous heart.

Lauper was and is the real deal. Being herself and making a difference. Still. So. Unusual.

by Anonymousreply 13606/14/2013

A rockin performance of "I Drove All Night" on Letterman.

Just in case people forgot that Cyndi can SING.

She was a hairdresser and worked in thrift stores too, and was part of both punk and new wave bands and was thirty before she hit stardom. She has a trained voice with a huge range and vocal tics and mannerisms. She likes to dance. It is all there on stage with her. She was never a novelty creation. Just a creative and honest performer.

by Anonymousreply 13706/14/2013

R99, I did the same with "I Drove All Night." A perfect pop song.

by Anonymousreply 13806/14/2013

[quote]Cuntdonna has always droned on about "empowering women"

Not really. Not that I recall anyway. It seemed to be more about empowering [i]herself[/i] and sexual freedom.

She always came across as too easily threatened by other women to really be any sort of ally to any women's movement. Of course, feminists weren't exactly thrilled with her either.

by Anonymousreply 13906/14/2013

R123, don't stop there! Tell us more about how you have this secret power to get into the mind of Madonna and explain her to us! Your psychic ability is amazing. What a horror show your life must be.

by Anonymousreply 14006/15/2013

I've always thought it was strange how Donna Summer's career was, for all intents and purposes, pretty much over at the exact same moment Madonna became a star. Some kind of weird synergy there.

by Anonymousreply 14106/15/2013

[R21] here. Ok, Control came out in 86, but it didn't really blow up until 87-- trust me, I have the heinous "Nasty" dance party moves pics to prove it!

I had forgotten about Madge making fun of Belinda in the movie. Pretty tame, and I'm sure nothing less than Belinda would have said given half a chance!

by Anonymousreply 14206/15/2013

Over? Donna still had "She Works Hard For the Money" and "This Time I Know It's For Real" to churn out--both huge hits. Her disco era was done, but she was hardly over when Madonna hit.

by Anonymousreply 14306/15/2013

[quote]Control came out in 86, but it didn't really blow up until 87

Control blew up in 1986. The first four singles were all released in 1986, and the videos for those four singles were in heavy rotation on MTV at that time. 1987 was just the continuation of the success--she had career-defining performances on the Grammys and the AMA's in 1987, and one of her most well-known videos was released in 1987 (The Pleasure Principle), but 1986 was when the album exploded.

by Anonymousreply 14406/15/2013

Madonna wasn't yet a really big star in '83 when "She Works Hard For the Money" hit. By '85, Donna's superstar career was really over. She had a handful of one-off singles in the years following, but never recaptured the superstardom she had before Madonna hit it big.

And I say this as a big Donna fan, I always preferred her music over Madonna's. And there's no question who was more talented. I just think it's strange that the biggest female pop star with a HUGE gay following declined in popularity as soon as the next female pop star with a huge gay following took over.

by Anonymousreply 14506/15/2013

[quote] Control came out in 86, but it didn't really blow up until 87-- trust me, I have the heinous "Nasty" dance party moves pics to prove it!

So unfortunate. My friends and I were making fun of people like you still doing the "Nasty" dance in '87. It was really very over by then.

by Anonymousreply 14606/15/2013

R131 is newest addition to our group in DL. Our very own CynBot. And CynBot has her head up her tight little ass again and again and again. Time after time in fact.

by Anonymousreply 14706/15/2013

[quote] I just think it's strange that the biggest female pop star with a HUGE gay following declined in popularity as soon as the next female pop star with a huge gay following took over.

Maybe it was Madonna who started all those "Adam and Steve" rumors about Donna Summer...

by Anonymousreply 14806/15/2013

"Madonna" had "Burning Up" on it.

End of argument...

by Anonymousreply 14906/15/2013

R149, look at R113.

The REAL end of argument...

by Anonymousreply 15006/15/2013

I was pleasantly surprised that Cyndi self composed the Tony score, good for her. A shame her Emmy is for that unwatchable POS Mad About You.

She certainly is more talented than Madonna vocally, no question, but her big hits seemed to come from outside writers. She went to the big 80s writing team of Steinberg/Kelly who did Like a Virgin and Eternal Flame for True Colors. I Drove all Night was first done and posthumously released by Roy Orbison. The great Time after Time did have her involvement though.

As for the albums, Cyndi's is much more varied and technically better in some ways. On the other hand, her sound has dated worse on the likes of "She Bop". GJWHF is overplayed more than any of Madonna's hits, I would not choose to listen to it but nevertheless its status as a hen night anthem cannot be denied - once again I heard it out last night.

All through the Night I can't listen to as Freiheit stole the melody for it and, frankly, made a much better record with "Keeping the Dream Alive".

Madonna has Borderline (still amongst her very best) and Burning Up. Even album track Physical Attraction is classic.

Cyndi did lose momentum big time, when Madge moved in for the kill with Like a Virgin (some like Material Girl were styled after Cyndi) the game was up and she would no longer play second fiddle to anyone - except maybe Whitney sales wise. Cyn returned with platinum hair and newly glam look that felt forced. While Mad had the great "Open Your Heart" in the charts, Cyn was scrambling with the horribly dated, even for the time, "Change of Heart".

They are just 2 different type of people. Cyndi is normal basically, Madonna is a freak with superhuman drive. The drive and hard work was to compensate for what she lacked in talent, she could never take her foot off the gas and always felt the need to change and adapt.

Cyn is always talking about Mad - or is asked about her - just youtube it and it's in dozens of interviews. I like Cyn but a shame her last face peel was captured on camera. She broke the illusion as she seemed to have had no work done.

by Anonymousreply 15106/15/2013

R149 LOL! "Burning Up" didn't even chart it was such a cheesy single.

The "Madonna" album sounds like a bunch of unfinished demos.

by Anonymousreply 15206/15/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 15306/15/2013

Madonna has more enduring hits than any of her other albums despite how they charted at the time.

by Anonymousreply 15506/15/2013

Tell us more about how you have this secret power to get into the mind of Madonna and explain her to us! Your psychic ability is amazing.

R123 is a Vulcan who performed a 'mind meld' on Madonna backstage at her Girlie Show tour in Hackensack, NJ 1994.

by Anonymousreply 15706/16/2013

The few people I know who do not really care for Madonna love "Burning Up."

She could have re-released it after "Lucky Star" and it would have charted. But "Like a "Virgin" was already finished...

"Madonna" almost sounds like her first greatest hits CD.

by Anonymousreply 15806/16/2013

lol

by Anonymousreply 15906/16/2013

[quote]Janet is prettier than Madonna?

Yes, very much so, even on her WORSE day--nose job or no nose job. Madonna was never beautiful, only passably attractive and maybe cute (at times). Janet Jackson, on the other hand, was always pretty, from a little girl up until now, and looks at least 10 years younger than her 47 years. The same can't be said about Madonna, who looks every one of her 54 years (and then some).

by Anonymousreply 16006/16/2013

I'm worried about Madge's chin hair. There's only so much apricot power can disguise.

by Anonymousreply 16106/17/2013

Wow, Madonna looks really old and ugly now! I thought plastic surgery was supposed to enhance your looks, not make it look worse. And her makeup looks like it's about to crack and crumble any second.

by Anonymousreply 16206/17/2013

There were a couple of times over the past couple of years where her face started to look almost normal. Then she'd go and mess it up again. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 16306/17/2013

How is it that Vadge is so much richer than Cyndi, yet Cyndi has had MUCH better and natural-looking work on her face? If we didn't know about their careers, one would think Vadge was a struggling C lister has-been while Cyndi continues to sell out arenas worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 16408/01/2013

If Vadge had any sense (which she doesn't), she would have done a tour like Cyndi did this year and performed all the songs from her first album to celebrate its' 30th anniversary like Cyndi did with her first album. But Vadge insists on touring with shitty ass new songs that don't chart and nobody gives a fuck about. And it's stupid for Vadge to think that performing her shitty new songs on tour is going to help album/singles sales, because it doesn't. So she may as well just perform what fans really want to hear (but she's too stupid to do that).

by Anonymousreply 16508/01/2013

At age 20, Madonna had the face she was born with; at age 54 she has the face she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 16608/01/2013

I think Cyndi is handling the age thing better. I never liked Madonna's voice (before she started taking lessons and marginally improved her voice. And let's face it, her lyrics are very schoolgirl and always have been. She cleans up on the songwriter credits financially but pulleeze. For example, an ode to the joy of living in London: "I drive my Mini Cooper and I'm feeling super-dooper"

Deep.

by Anonymousreply 16708/01/2013

preach R167 !

by Anonymousreply 16808/04/2013

Madonna has more money, had more international success, sold more records... but nothing she ever sang or will sing ever will match the sheer exuberance, catchiness or off-the-cuff pure fun of Cyndi's best known song.

by Anonymousreply 16908/15/2013

Cyndi is a true recording ARTIST. Vadge is a recording rip off copycat who can't sing well.

by Anonymousreply 17008/15/2013

Madonna may be laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 17108/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.